PDA

View Full Version : FGC Y Panel Pilot Free

FGC Corp
07-28-2017, 02:41 AM
Full Genomes is launching a Y Panel pilot. Participation will be free in the pilot.

sales [at] fullgenomes.com
www.fullgenomes.com

deadly77
07-28-2017, 07:13 AM
Intriguing - thanks for the update. A few questions if you don't mind:

1) How many SNPs tested on the panel?
2) Coverage? (I realize this is a loaded question - specifically, how does this look for SNPs downstream of I-M253 and I-Z140?)
3) If a person has had a previous or in progress test with FGC, can you use their test kit or would a new sample be required?

Cheers.

Wing Genealogist
07-28-2017, 01:09 PM
Is this a SNP panel test, or a STR panel test, or what?

Any details you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

FGC Corp
07-28-2017, 03:50 PM
Intriguing - thanks for the update. A few questions if you don't mind:

1) How many SNPs tested on the panel?
2) Coverage? (I realize this is a loaded question - specifically, how does this look for SNPs downstream of I-M253 and I-Z140?)
3) If a person has had a previous or in progress test with FGC, can you use their test kit or would a new sample be required?

Cheers.

This would be a very high coverage SNP panel. Potentially we would cover all of the known SNPs. It would not be a SNP discovery test.

jbarry6899
07-28-2017, 03:57 PM
I'm not seeing a link to this product on the home page linked above--can you post a more specific link or explain where it is on the home page?

FGC Corp
07-28-2017, 04:01 PM
I'm not seeing a link to this product on the home page linked above--can you post a more specific link or explain where it is on the home page?

It's not on the webpage since it is in pilot phase. I'm adding people to the pilot list as they sign up.

jbarry6899
07-28-2017, 04:02 PM
Thanks, I will send you a signup email.

Marmaduke
07-28-2017, 04:12 PM
Not sure where the sign-up list is located, but I subscribed to the FGC Y-Elite test the other day and am waiting for my kit. Would be interested in participating in this. More details would be welcome. Thank you.

FGC Corp
07-28-2017, 04:13 PM
Email sales [at] fullgenomes.com to sign-up

Wing Genealogist
07-28-2017, 04:24 PM
This would be a very high coverage SNP panel. Potentially we would cover all of the known SNPs. It would not be a SNP discovery test.

This test would probably be very useful, especially if the price is considerably less than NGS/WGS tests.

IMHO, it would be interesting to see if it would be possible to cover ALL the clades, or whether there would need to be some sort of break-outs (say a breakout for all of R1b for example).

FGC Corp
07-28-2017, 04:26 PM
This test would probably be very useful, especially if the price is considerably less than NGS/WGS tests.

IMHO, it would be interesting to see if it would be possible to cover ALL the clades, or whether there would need to be some sort of break-outs (say a breakout for all of R1b for example).

Well, we shall see based on the pilot data. We're using a new approach, but yes it will be comparable in price to other entry-level DNA tests.

Coverage may be up to 1 million Y SNPs. It just depends on how we develop the approach.

dp
07-28-2017, 08:16 PM
sending a sign-up email
dp :-)

jonathanmcg1990
07-28-2017, 08:18 PM
Just send a sign up email hope I done it correctly

FGC Corp
07-29-2017, 11:18 AM
We've already reached the limit for the number of pilot participants. However, provided all goes well, we can offer discounts once we achieve validation of data and panel.

uz1942
07-29-2017, 03:05 PM
I would like to sign up for the FGC Y Panel Pilot Free test. Please let me know what additional info you require. Thanks, William Hughes

Kwheaton
07-29-2017, 08:13 PM
Do you have any estimates of time frame? Will you be sending out new kits...and how long do you expect til you get results? Roughly speaking.
Many thanks. Very excited about this being a very viable option for many.
Wishing you much success!

RobertCasey
07-29-2017, 10:54 PM
L226 has around 700 total YSNPs is just around one percent of hapogroup R. So, haplogroup R would be around 700,000 YSNPs (including all private YSNPs). Haplgroup R (which is over tested) is somewhere between 20 and 33 % of all current testers. So to cover all known YSNPs would be between 2,100,000 and 3.500,000 YSNPs total. So, 1,000,000 to 2,000,000 YSNPs could not cover all known YSNP mutations.

If you are only talking about branches, L226 has only 52 branches (including L226), so there would be around 5,000 branches for haplogroup R or a total of only 15,000 to 25,000 across all haplogroups. FTDNA haplotrees are probably the best in representing all haplogroups. They have around five to ten percent branches that are not branches but are missing a similar amount of missing branches via YSEQ testing and FGC testing. So branches would not fill up your test.

If you include branches and branch equivalents, L226 has 192 YSNPs, so this would be around 20,000 YSNPs for haplogroup R. All haplogroups would be between 60,000 to 100,000 YSNPs - far short of 1,000,000 to 2,000,000. However, many of the older haplogroups have a large number of branch equivalents. But even if this doubled the number, it would be far short - so, you only choice would be to include a lot of private YSNPs. So, it looks like it would be a horse race to fill up your "panel" test. Since FTDNA has popup menus for many of the branch equivalents, you could get most of the branch equivalents of more well established branches - but FTDNA fails to include hardly any private YSNPs and is missing many branch equivalents. If you use the BigTree, you could probably fill up your "panel" with private YSNPs there - but this would be very biased towards R1b. If you could get YFULL private YSNPs and branch equivalents in some manner (I am not the best person for this extraction), you could probably fill up your panel.

FGC Corp
07-30-2017, 05:01 PM
L226 has around 700 total YSNPs is just around one percent of hapogroup R. So, haplogroup R would be around 700,000 YSNPs (including all private YSNPs). Haplgroup R (which is over tested) is somewhere between 20 and 33 % of all current testers. So to cover all known YSNPs would be between 2,100,000 and 3.500,000 YSNPs total. So, 1,000,000 to 2,000,000 YSNPs could not cover all known YSNP mutations.

If you are only talking about branches, L226 has only 52 branches (including L226), so there would be around 5,000 branches for haplogroup R or a total of only 15,000 to 25,000 across all haplogroups. FTDNA haplotrees are probably the best in representing all haplogroups. They have around five to ten percent branches that are not branches but are missing a similar amount of missing branches via YSEQ testing and FGC testing. So branches would not fill up your test.

If you include branches and branch equivalents, L226 has 192 YSNPs, so this would be around 20,000 YSNPs for haplogroup R. All haplogroups would be between 60,000 to 100,000 YSNPs - far short of 1,000,000 to 2,000,000. However, many of the older haplogroups have a large number of branch equivalents. But even if this doubled the number, it would be far short - so, you only choice would be to include a lot of private YSNPs. So, it looks like it would be a horse race to fill up your "panel" test. Since FTDNA has popup menus for many of the branch equivalents, you could get most of the branch equivalents of more well established branches - but FTDNA fails to include hardly any private YSNPs and is missing many branch equivalents. If you use the BigTree, you could probably fill up your "panel" with private YSNPs there - but this would be very biased towards R1b. If you could get YFULL private YSNPs and branch equivalents in some manner (I am not the best person for this extraction), you could probably fill up your panel.

Thanks for the suggestions. There are a couple different ways to do this. As a practical matter, we should have a fair amount of flexibility. Also, we are still open to new participants. If we can't accommodate you in the first round, you'll be eligible for the first release.

Dibran
08-05-2017, 05:54 AM
I thought Yelite tests for undiscovered SNPs?!? Thats what it says on the site! Is this Pilot a lower level examination method to the Yelite?

RobertCasey
08-05-2017, 01:18 PM
I thought Yelite tests for undiscovered SNPs?!? Thats what it says on the site! Is this Pilot a lower level examination method to the Yelite?
This test would be more comparable to the tests like Nat Geo or LivingDNA - but with much higher YSNP counts and much more meaningful YSNPs being tested. This test could also be used as a super SNP pack test as well. This test only tests for known mutations found in Big Y and Full Genomes YElite (as well as the few Whole Genomes Sequencing tests). Hopefully, there will be two varieties of this test. First, a very broad test with 100,000 to 1,000,000 YSNPs that cover all currently known branches and branch equivalents plus private YSNPs for some parts of the haplotree. Another test would be a super SNP pack test of 1,000 to 100,000 that would include all known YSNPs for particular parts of the haplotree.

What is not known is that this is not a Mass Array test (FTDNA SNP pack) or is not a chip array test (Nat Geo), so it is not certain which YSNPs can not be placed in this test due to being located in areas that are unstable (large redundant areas or areas where looks like parts of other DNA). For R-L226, we make extensive use of the unstable areas and around half of our major branches are found in these unstable areas. Most of the more recent branches are usually found in stable areas. Being a more economical test compared to NGS/WGS, there will be limitations of YSNPs that can be included, so these tests could be missing 10 to 20 % of the known major branches (but this is the nature of more economical tests).