PDA

View Full Version : My Results Don't Seem to Make Sense When Compared to My Parents' Results

Scott
07-28-2017, 07:06 PM
So I got my AncestryDNA results back in April and they were as follows:

- Europe West 44%
- Ireland 36%
- Great Britain 8%
- Scandinavia 2%
- Finland/Northwest Russia 2%
- Iberian Peninsula 2%
- Native American 2%
- Asia South 2%
- Italy/Greece <1%
- Caucasus <1%

I was surprised by how high Europe West was in comparison to Great Britain but assumed that it must have been coming from my Dad's side since he has quite a few German and Swiss ancestors. I convinced my parents to do the test as well and they both received their results within the past few weeks. My ethnicity estimates don't entirely make sense in light of theirs. My Mom was 17% Europe West and my Dad was 3%. I realize that those are just estimates but I am confused as to why I would be substantially more than my parents in that category. Also confusing, my Dad was 44% Great Britain and my Mom was 29%. I was only 8%. Does anyone have any ideas on the substantial difference in these two categories? Do you think these results indicate limitations and/or flaws with Ancestry's Ethnicity Estimates?

mwauthy
07-28-2017, 09:44 PM
Britain is Celtic/Germanic as is Europe West. People that populated Britain came from Western Europe. Very hard for companies to tell the difference and I've read in other threads that the category of England and Western Europe will be combined.

Scott
07-28-2017, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the reply. It's clear that there does seem to be difficulty differentiating between those two categories. My Mom's Great Britain range was 3-54% and her Europe West range was 0-38%. That might as well just read "You're a little to a whole lot of this area." There is a part of me that wishes that Ancestry would take MyHeritage's approach of trying to provide more specific results with the caveat that's it's still a work in progress/take it with a grain of salt.

mwauthy
07-28-2017, 11:01 PM
It would be interesting in the future if these companies would release a list of snps that they associate with certain regions. Then we would be able see why some companies have discrepancies. I don't know enough about the science behind all of this but my guess is that these companies have different interpretations about different snps.

Saetro
07-29-2017, 12:03 AM
It would be interesting in the future if these companies would release a list of snps that they associate with certain regions. Then we would be able see why some companies have discrepancies. I don't know enough about the science behind all of this but my guess is that these companies have different interpretations about different snps.

I think if you are waiting for companies to show you that level of detail about what's under the hood, then you could be waiting a very long time.
On the one hand, they are unlikely to disclose their proprietary information.
On the other hand, if they are using some of the systems for handling complex sets of data that have emerged in past 30 years or so, then they would not necessarily know.
Those systems are taught to make distinctions on the basis of various teaching sets of data, but the detail of the basis of judgement is not known.
How they get it right is not important as long as they do.