PDA

View Full Version : How Long Does YSEQ Usually Take?

DillonResearcher
08-01-2017, 12:08 PM
I've ordered a single SNP test for a distant cousin to verify my paternal line and it's 3 weeks today since the result was recieved at their lab. I requested the SNP a while ago through the wish-a-SNP facility and the SNP had been available to order for two or three months prior to my own order. How long does a test with them like this usually take?

MacUalraig
08-01-2017, 01:04 PM
If it's a new SNP there are several stages as they have to order primers from an external supplier then on occasion the primer doesn't work and they have to try another. Usually an established SNP takes no more than a week but it can be longer.

DillonResearcher
08-01-2017, 01:14 PM
If it's a new SNP there are several stages as they have to order primers from an external supplier then on occasion the primer doesn't work and they have to try another. Usually an established SNP takes no more than a week but it can be longer.

Ah, okay, fair enough. I'll wait and try to be patient!

eliade
10-31-2017, 02:46 PM
I've ordered a haplogroup panel, and received first results after 2 weeks. Four and a half weeks have past since they received the samples, and I still don't have final results.

MacUalraig
10-31-2017, 02:49 PM
I find each round takes around a week. It would be unusual to go 2.5 weeks without a round coming in, if that's what you are saying? The total number of rounds depends of course on how deep a branch you are in. If you already have some SNP data make sure you notify them first as it may save time (ie skipping upper branches).

eliade
10-31-2017, 05:12 PM
No. I've received two more updates in the meantime. Each round after the first one takes around a week, like you said. But, 5 weeks is supposed to be the deadline. I expected final results a bit sooner tbh.

From YSEQ FAQ:
More than 95% of the customers receive the results of their DNA tests within 5 weeks after the sample is received at the YSEQ laboratory.

Their NGS test takes about 7 weeks.

I didn't know much about SNP data, just STR values, but i never sent them that information, and they didn't ask.

MacUalraig
10-31-2017, 05:48 PM
No. I've received two more updates in the meantime. Each round after the first one takes around a week, like you said. But, 5 weeks is supposed to be the deadline. I expected final results a bit sooner tbh.

From YSEQ FAQ:

Their NGS test takes about 7 weeks.

I didn't know much about SNP data, just STR values, but i never sent them that information, and they didn't ask.

Well I'm a punter not a company spokesman but I have always interpreted that to refer to a single test ie a SNP test. If you go through a panel there is huge variation in depth to completion. If you started with the L21 panel and are under M222->DF97 you'd be at it a long time for example.

I always send them intermediate SNP information where I can see from the test description/tree that it will jump-start things. I don't usually have STR data so I'm not sure what they would do with it - sometimes it could predict a sub-branch but not 100% like having the SNP result already would.

Could a panel end up taking longer than their WG sequencing test? Good question.

DillonResearcher
10-31-2017, 08:41 PM
I would give them an email, I was delayed and when I asked they explained that they had had difficulties with the primers and as it was a single SNP test they suggested an equivalent SNP. So it was a bit frustrating to have to chase them up but they were very helpful when I did.

eliade
11-04-2017, 10:46 AM
I would give them an email, I was delayed and when I asked they explained that they had had difficulties with the primers and as it was a single SNP test they suggested an equivalent SNP. So it was a bit frustrating to have to chase them up but they were very helpful when I did.

We had a few email conversations before, and they are very helpful indeed. I've got one more round to go, so when it's all done it would be 6+ weeks total. Now, I don't mind that. Two things are bothering me: the fact that they can't meet the deadline they set themselves, and the fact that couple of years ago the same tests were over in 10 days or so. F.e. here's what this guy wrote in his review back in 2016:

What's neat about the results is that you can see them as they process the results before the entire panel is completed. I was seeing initial results within a couple days of ordering. The entire panel was completed in a week and a half.

(That was R1b-M343 Orientation Panel)

I'm not sure what's the reason behind this, maybe they should add more people to their team...

MacUalraig
11-04-2017, 10:58 AM
We had a few email conversations before, and they are very helpful indeed. I've got one more round to go, so when it's all done it would be 6+ weeks total. Now, I don't mind that. Two things are bothering me: the fact that they can't meet the deadline they set themselves, and the fact that couple of years ago the same tests were over in 10 days or so. F.e. here's what this guy wrote in his review back in 2016:

(That was R1b-M343 Orientation Panel)

I'm not sure what's the reason behind this, maybe they should add more people to their team...

The M343 panel is potentially quick if you are something common, again its down to number of levels/rounds. I think if you were say L21 then r1 is P312 and probably L21 is r2 and you are done.

Incidentally I'm glad you mentioned that panel as I see they now have an option to include the sub-panel for just an extra USD59. That could be handy for me as I still have one kit stuck at M343 (xL21).

michal3141
05-04-2018, 11:04 AM
I've ordered an SNP R1a Superclade Panel and my sample arrived for processing in their lab exactly one week ago (last Friday).

I know it's been only one week but still I expected to get some feedback. Could it be that something is potentially wrong with my sample?

EDIT:

I've got my first results! Very cool. It took just a week for me and there is more to come!

michal3141
05-22-2018, 08:40 PM
Sorry for double-posting. I could not edit the previous post.

YP254 processing for full 2 weeks already. I am not sure if they forgot about me or what ;)

gjenetiks
09-17-2018, 03:26 AM
Is there any reason for me to do a Y-67 vs a y-37? How big is the difference?

KloÚValentina
10-04-2018, 08:35 PM
Is there anyone that tested recently, especially a panel? How long did it take for the first results to come in?

I've been refreshing and checking my email coooonstantly. So impatient.. 🙄

MonkeyDLuffy
10-04-2018, 08:41 PM
It took them 4-5 weeks to give my results.

MacUalraig
10-05-2018, 02:53 PM
Usually each panel round takes around a week or so, sometimes 2w though. If you strike lucky you can get one in just a few days :-)

Their WGS test is pretty quick too (~2 months).

aaronbee2010
10-05-2018, 07:12 PM
I've tested for two individual SNPs with YSEQ

Y1384 took 7 days to give me a result from the moment they received my sample (Y1384+) and Y154917 was ordered 12 days ago and I got my result an hour ago (Y154917-). If you've ordered an SNP panel that tests multiple SNPs, then your results will take longer.

KloÚValentina
10-05-2018, 10:43 PM
Thanks guys! I just received my dad's first results - 10 days after arrival of the samples! Can't wait for the next results to come in! ��

aaronbee2010
10-05-2018, 11:14 PM
Thanks guys! I just received my dad's first results - 10 days after arrival of the samples! Can't wait for the next results to come in! ��

Nice! Are you doing a SNP panel or individual SNPs?

KloÚValentina
10-06-2018, 09:57 AM
Nice! Are you doing a SNP panel or individual SNPs?

I ordered the R-U152 Superclade Panel! ��

Gwydion
02-18-2019, 02:42 PM
I also ordered the R1b U152 Superclade Panel as per the advice of members here. They received my samples at the very end of December and they're still not done, primarily because I keep testing negative for everything!

At least some further steps have been made though, I found out I am U12>L2>Z49/Z68. My latest update, as you can see with everything being negative...I am wondering now what my final result will be:

L2 T+
Z68 T+
Z367 T-
Z57 G-
Z12222 A-
FGC22968 G-
S8183 G-
FGC22963 C-
Z51 A-
Z142 processing
BY3618 processing

I found another likely U152 Carr/Kerr on the FTDNA Carr DNA project via running his STRs through Nevgen and was fairy certain I was going to find a match because he was S8183 with 95% probability and that was one of the few branches left for me to test positive for, but then I subsequently tested negative for S8183.

Nino90
02-18-2019, 02:51 PM
I also ordered the R1b U152 Superclade Panel as per the advice of members here. They received my samples at the very end of December and they're still not done, primarily because I keep testing negative for everything!

At least some further steps have been made though, I found out I am U12>L2>Z49/Z68. My latest update, as you can see with everything being negative...I am wondering now what my final result will be:

L2 T+
Z68 T+
Z367 T-
Z57 G-
Z12222 A-
FGC22968 G-
S8183 G-
FGC22963 C-
Z51 A-
Z142 processing
BY3618 processing

I found another likely U152 Carr/Kerr on the FTDNA Carr DNA project via running his STRs through Nevgen and was fairy certain I was going to find a match because he was S8183 with 95% probability and that was one of the few branches left for me to test positive for, but then I subsequently tested negative for S8183.

Hi. I am also L2. Was also recommended to test via YSEQ. Is that still the best option?
Is the L2 from your german side or british?

MacUalraig
02-18-2019, 03:00 PM

The panels can take some time but as you have seen there is a lot of luck involved in whether your branch comes up early in the search order. I've watched a lot of panels go through, sometimes it is fun and sometimes it can be infuriating.

Ironically a WGS can often beat a panel - my WGSx30 took a shade under 2 months to complete from sample return.

Gwydion
02-18-2019, 03:15 PM
Hi. I am also L2. Was also recommended to test via YSEQ. Is that still the best option?
Is the L2 from your german side or british?

L2 is from the British. My surname is Carr/Kerr and I've been lead to believe my paternal ancestors were Scottish but haven't definitively proven that, so Northern England is another distinct possibility. YSEQ seems like a good option but I am not knowledgeable enough to say its the best option for ones needs.

The panels can take some time but as you have seen there is a lot of luck involved in whether your branch comes up early in the search order. I've watched a lot of panels go through, sometimes it is fun and sometimes it can be infuriating.

Ironically a WGS can often beat a panel - my WGSx30 took a shade under 2 months to complete from sample return.

Yeah I haven't been overly anxious, but its getting close to 2 months now so I am starting to wish it would progress if only because I really want to know what I am! Though if I am reading their chart for the U152 panel correctly, I am not sure what else is left for them to test. They are processing Z142 but I already tested negative for the branches below it, and so it looks like the BY3618 is the most likely result? I am no expert on how these things work so can't be sure.

Dorkymon
05-11-2019, 12:22 PM

L2 T+
Z68 T+
Z367 T-
Z57 G-
Z12222 A-
FGC22968 G-
S8183 G-
FGC22963 C-
Z51 A-
Z142 processing
BY3618 processing

So, if I'm understanding correctly, they've tested downstream and didn't find any connection in the end. Thus, you are stuck at Z68/Z49* until a new matching branch is discovered?

mwauthy
05-14-2019, 01:36 AM

What kind of timeframe should be expected for a new SNP considering the issues you mentioned above?

JamesKane
05-14-2019, 12:23 PM
What kind of timeframe should be expected for a new SNP considering the issues you mentioned above?

In my experience 4 to 6 weeks tops** when an existing set of targets do not exist. It can be a matter of days, if the SNP was already in the catalog and your sample is on file.

** I did have a couple of SNPs that were being investigated and found not to behave well with Sanger sequencing. Even then it was under a couple months including two or three primer designs and runs.

mwauthy
05-14-2019, 03:03 PM
In my experience 4 to 6 weeks tops** when an existing set of targets do not exist. It can be a matter of days, if the SNP was already in the catalog and your sample is on file.

** I did have a couple of SNPs that were being investigated and found not to behave well with Sanger sequencing. Even then it was under a couple months including two or three primer designs and runs.

Thanks for the reply! The kit was shipped off to Germany on March 29th so hopefully the result will come any day now. I’ll have the person email them if he doesn’t get a result in the next 1-2 weeks.

Jan_Noack
05-17-2019, 11:50 PM
make sure they have received the kit. mine to Full genomes and Dante in the US are being delayed in the US for over 2 months. sent one to Full Genomes (this was the 2nd kit as the first hadn't arrived after 2 months)on 18th March, received into US postal service on 26th March..still awaiting delivery. In the meantime, in March after 18th Full genomes received my first kit, which I should have the results of in 30 days time I've just been told..so excited.
The Dante Kit was posted in Feb and received about 2 months later as well. It's waiting to go to processing still..so running, at present about the same as Full Genomes..though I suspect I may have to wait a lot longer.

MY biggest delay in the US appears to be customs. If I ever order another kit with Dante, it will be via Europe, not the US! Now I know why FTDNA took about 2 months before they marked my kits as received. I thought it was merely a holdup in their labs..and this was back in 2016 (3 different kits ent individually). Ancestry overcomes this by shipping to australian address and shipping the lot out together ..so no delay in Customs (or only a few days).

JamesKane
05-18-2019, 12:05 AM
My YSEQ WGS Kit was mailed directly back to Germany from the US. I am not sure if this is the case with the Sanger sequencing kits, since their site lists the Texas address still.

Trelvern
05-22-2019, 06:18 AM
I ordered U106 superclade panel

04/09 sample have been received
04/28 1st results
04/30 2nd
05/05 3rd
05/09 4th
05/16 5th
05/18 6th
BY 650 processing
FGC 14776 processing

it's the end i guess
So over one month

Dorkymon
06-11-2019, 12:10 PM
Panels might take 1 month from the time of the receipt of the samples.
That's how long it took for me, but it could be faster for others. In my case, they found my terminal branch in 11 days, but had to also test every subbranch under it, which were all negative.

05/10/2019 Processing Your samples have been received at YSEQ.

05/21/2019 Processing More results have been posted:

Quick results summary:
I2a-M423 Panel processing
S17250 A+
PH908 T+
A356 processing
A13912 processing
Y32084 processing

06/10/2019 Delivered Your results have been posted:

Your final haplogroup is I2a-PH908*.
All known downstream branches have been confirmed negative.

Quick results summary:
I2a-M423 Panel
S17250 A+
PH908 T+
A356 T-
A13912 A-
Y32084 A-
A5913 G-
Y56203 G-
Y144303 G-
Y84307 G-
Y52621 C-
Y51673 C-
BY135769 A-
BY189804 C-

Trelvern
06-11-2019, 01:04 PM
Almost TWO months for me

04/09/2019 Processing Your samples (YSEQ ID 19779) have been received at YSEQ.

04/28/2019 Processing First results (YSEQ ID 19779) have been posted:

06/04/2019 Delivered More results (YSEQ ID 19779) have been posted:

Your final haplogroup is R1b-BY650.
All known downstream branches have been confirmed negative.

Quick results summary:
R1b-U106 Superclade Panel
L48 G-
Z381 T+
DF98 C+
S22069 A-
S1911 G+
S1894 T+
S4004 G-
BY650 A+
FGC14776 G-
A13232 T-
A7197 C-
S1903 T-

Dorkymon
06-22-2019, 02:57 PM
They've been processing one Y-STR marker for more than 2 weeks already. Does it usually take so long?

Huntchback
10-08-2019, 03:03 PM
Ordered the E superclade panel through this company. What a nightmare of a costumer service.

JamesKane
10-08-2019, 11:30 PM
The thing to remember about YSEQ's panels is these are really testing protocols. They are performing a binary search of the panel's segment of the tree to arrive at your final destination. It could take several weeks to get all the way to the end.

This is an entirely different approach to FTDNA's mass array technology, where everything is tested in one go. Both approaches have their pros and cons, but YSEQ's usually winds up more cost effective.

xripkan
11-02-2019, 12:07 PM
Do they announce results during weekends?

Huntchback
11-04-2019, 09:00 AM
I have to say. YSEQ's costumer service got way better towards the end of the panel. I am quite pleased with the final result.

MacUalraig
11-04-2019, 10:40 AM
The thing to remember about YSEQ's panels is these are really testing protocols. They are performing a binary search of the panel's segment of the tree to arrive at your final destination. It could take several weeks to get all the way to the end.

This is an entirely different approach to FTDNA's mass array technology, where everything is tested in one go. Both approaches have their pros and cons, but YSEQ's usually winds up more cost effective.

Yes the only problem with the panels is that sometimes it takes a long time to traverse especially if you try the Top level one. In fact the WGS is often quicker. Just this weekend I interrupted a project member's panel test to just kick off a WGS. It was only half way down the panel sub-tree but I'd seen enough.

Ibericus
02-24-2020, 08:03 PM
From ordering to reception of the kit at home: 1 week
From sending the samples to reception at the lab: 6 days

After that the average is 1 SNP test per week. So they will never meet the 5-week deadline with a big panel.