PDA

View Full Version : Utilizing Shared Matches Tool

greerpalmer
08-01-2017, 04:41 PM
I apologize if his is more of a "Genealogy" topic, but it is a very AncestryDNA specific tool.

So I've done Ancestry, and for many of my matches it is very obvious what lines we match on. Unfortunately, most of my matches either do not have a tree or their tree does not go back to our common ancestor. I can usually add a generation or two to their tree no problem and find our match.

For those trees I do have "shared matches" with...what do I do next? There doesn't seem to be any kind of tool to confirm a match. I would love to get into cluster matching and finding overlapping segments but Ancestry does not make this easy.

Thanks

Hayden
08-01-2017, 06:09 PM
Yeah, not being able to view shared segments is ridiculous.

What I find the most effective way to use matches for your benefit in family research is using the search filters, they are not advanced, but useful. If there is a certain area you know your family has a lot of activity searching by a specific locations will comb your matches trees (the ones that have them) for the location. Clicking shared surnames is a good way to quickly compare you ancestor to theirs to access plausibility of relationships, which may be obvious. But sometimes this isn't as clear because of alternative spellings, so its good to quickly comb their whole list.

The Genetic communities give you another good way at accomplishing narrowing the focus to the general region a portion. Or when you are working on some specific family, filter for only a specific surname. If you have many common surnames this might be more time consuming. But for unique names, yield quick results. Of course there will be trees that are still private, but them showing up is a search result (with an filter for a topic your interested in) can help you figure out if your interested enough in their information to attempt contacting them. Sometimes the do actually respond and add your username to their list of people that can view the tree.