PDA

View Full Version : How do the confidence groups work in cautious mode?

CuriousAboutStuff
08-06-2017, 07:54 PM
I apologise as I'm not well versed in anything to do with DNA, but I don't understand how, for example, the Southern England confidence group can then include Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland. I also don't understand how the Northwest England can add in parts of Eastern England. Even the Aberdeenshire region comes up saying it could be Irish.

I'm more confused than when I started. How come they are grouping different countries together?

Could someone please explain it to me?

Thank you :)

greerpalmer
08-16-2017, 04:04 PM
Great question. I believe its fairly complex and I recently sent a note to the support desk to help me better understand.
All parts of the British Isles are genetically connected and mixed. The presence of two populations in your results could be indicative of a more accurate match with a third population, or it could literally be from having two separate lines from two separate areas.

We know that the data base has stronger reference populations in some areas than others, and is likely to change very soon so try not to be too caught up in it at the moment.

Jessie
08-16-2017, 04:54 PM
The cautious mode readings are odd. The majority of mine are in Southwest Scotland in cautious mode even though I didn't get Southwest Scotland as an area.

http://i65.tinypic.com/s1uu54.jpg

Whereas my brother's is under Ireland related ancestry.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2yl0bd3.jpg

greerpalmer
08-16-2017, 05:02 PM
The cautious mode readings are odd. The majority of mine are in Southwest Scotland in cautious mode even though I didn't get Southwest Scotland as an area.
Whereas my brother's is under Ireland related ancestry.

How do all of your Scottish/Irish groups compare to your brothers?

Jessie
08-16-2017, 06:12 PM
How do all of your Scottish/Irish groups compare to your brothers?

Mine is Ireland 47.8%, Northwest Scotland 14.6%, Cumbria 1.9%, Aberdeenshire 1.5% - that adds up to the Southwest Scottish category

Brother's is Ireland 49.1%, Northwest Scotland 8.4%, Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland 1.8% went into his Ireland related ancestry. His Aberdeenshire of 1.1% was included in a separate category under Cumbria related ancestry.

sktibo
08-16-2017, 06:57 PM
The combinations shown by Living DNA in cautious mode are not what regions are actually combined to form the cautious grouping; I have absolutely no idea why they chose to group some of the populations they have: some make sense while others make absolutely none.
Please note these groupings are often off by 0.1%, here are mine:

Northumbria Related: 44.6% It claims to be NW Scotland, Ireland, Devon, and Northumbria.
It is actually Northumbria 42.1 + Cumbria 2.4 = 44.5%

South England Related: 17.3%. It claims to be SW Scotland, Devon, SE England, and South England.
It is actually Devon 5.6 + South England 5.2 + South Central England 4.4 + Southeast England 2.1 = 17.3%

Orkney Related: 13.4%. It claims to be SW Scotland and Orkney.
It is actually Aberdeenshire 11.5 + Orkney 1.9 = 13.4%

These populations which have been combined to form these grouped percentages are all actually genetically similar to one another.
They should have simply highlighted which regions were combined to form their cautious groupings instead of guessing alternate sources which these percentages may be (but probably aren't) mistaken for.

Great question. I believe its fairly complex and I recently sent a note to the support desk to help me better understand.
All parts of the British Isles are genetically connected and mixed. The presence of two populations in your results could be indicative of a more accurate match with a third population, or it could literally be from having two separate lines from two separate areas.

We know that the data base has stronger reference populations in some areas than others, and is likely to change very soon so try not to be too caught up in it at the moment.

I also messaged Living DNA about their cautious groupings and never heard back from them. I don't think they're going to respond to my inquiry.. their lack of response indicates to me that they may not have a decent answer to my question.

greerpalmer
08-16-2017, 10:33 PM
@sktibo We're on the same page. My North Yorkshire-related group shows 7% more than it's contributing regions, Ireland almost 8% more than contributing regions. Lincolnshire and Aberdeenshire were not mentioned in Cautious mode even though all the totals were the same.