PDA

View Full Version : Armenian's results - typical or unusual?

Apex n Harmony
08-08-2017, 12:37 AM
An Armenian friend with virtually all known ("paper") ancestry tracing to present-day Armenia just received her AncestryDNA results: 66% Caucasus; 18% Middle East; 14% Italy/Greece; 2% European Jewish.

Are these results typical of an Armenian with all known roots in present-day Armenia? These results would be less surprising to me if her family had spent generations in the Middle East, but she knows of no such family history.

Are there other Armenians out there who could share their results? Seeing as Armenia is included in Ancestry's definition of "Caucasus," I presume Armenians are included in the "Caucasus" reference panel, and I would therefore expect many Armenians from present-day Armenia to score much higher than 66% Caucasus.

fished
08-08-2017, 01:21 AM
I don't know if I've seen any Armenian results on AncestryDNA, but it wouldn't surprise me if your friend is completely typical. Armenians are more "southern" than some of their neighbors in the Caucasus, specifically Georgians, probably because of excess ancestry from the Neolithic Levant.

Apex n Harmony
08-08-2017, 02:00 AM
Thanks so much for your response, fished. What you're saying certainly makes sense, but it leaves me confused as to how exactly Ancestry calculates ancestral background.

My understanding is that each person included in Ancestry's reference panel serves as a marker for a given region. For example, an Armenian, an Iranian, and a Turk selected for Ancestry's reference panel would each represent "100% Caucasus." Is that correct? If so, assuming there is indeed an Armenian in the reference panel, would it not be unusual for an Armenian with all known roots in Armenia to score only 66% Caucasus and 18% Middle East, even given your explanation as to why Armenians are in fact more "southern" than their immediate neighbors?

Sorry if this is a simple concept that I'm having trouble grasping; I'm a total amateur when it comes to this stuff.

GailT
08-08-2017, 05:32 AM
Here is a link to the excellent FTDNA Armenian DNA project (https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/armeniadnaproject/about/background). You can contact the project admins to see if the Ancestry DNA results can be transferred to the project.

XooR
08-08-2017, 01:24 PM
Apex n Harmony, thank you for starting this thread, I also would like to see results from other specified Caucasus areas ( Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Turkey ). Below is the chart showing what I have collected so far from open sources.

What I see from here is Laz people have relatively lower middle east component than neighboring region. Caucasus component is getting higher when you get closer to Batum and vice versa for Italy / Greece component.

Apex n Harmony
08-08-2017, 05:24 PM
Apex n Harmony, thank you for starting this thread, I also would like to see results from other specified Caucasus areas ( Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Turkey ). Below is the chart showing what I have collected so far from open sources.

What I see from here is Laz people have relatively lower middle east component than neighboring region. Caucasus component is getting higher when you get closer to Batum and vice versa for Italy / Greece component.

Thanks, XooR. I'd also love to see a compilation of results from participants from the Caucasus. I've seen/read plenty of results from Iranians (like myself), but very few from others from the region. With these commercial companies it seems that no single person's results make much sense in a vacuum; we have to compare the results of similarly situated people (especially in the Caucasus, where—from my lay perspective—there seems to be less recent admixture than in West Europe, for example) to better understand just what these results mean.

Shall we create a new thread dedicated to AncestryDNA results for the Caucasus?

XooR
08-08-2017, 05:49 PM
Thanks, XooR. I'd also love to see a compilation of results from participants from the Caucasus. I've seen/read plenty of results from Iranians (like myself), but very few from others from the region. With these commercial companies it seems that no single person's results make much sense in a vacuum; we have to compare the results of similarly situated people (especially in the Caucasus, where—from my lay perspective—there seems to be less recent admixture than in West Europe, for example) to better understand just what these results mean.

Shall we create a new thread dedicated to AncestryDNA results for the Caucasus?

Yes that is a good idea,and maybe we should open it under Caucasus section. Also can you please share Iranians results that you have, I haven't seen any so far. Thank you.

Apex n Harmony
08-08-2017, 08:54 PM
Yes that is a good idea,and maybe we should open it under Caucasus section. Also can you please share Iranians results that you have, I haven't seen any so far. Thank you.

I made a new thread in the Caucasus section of the forum. (I tried to post a link to the thread, but I was disallowed from doing so—perhaps because I'm a new member.)