PDA

View Full Version : 2 LivingDNA Questions

Claudio
08-11-2017, 10:39 PM
1. How long do LivingDNA take to give you there results? Before the date they give you whilst waiting? Or after?

2. How bias are LivingDNA to Giving you British ancestry? Like for example I have heard that even if a some Chinese person from deepest China took there test (who has absolutely no English ancestry) would still get assigned a 1% or something because LivingDNA are British orientated or is this a miss conception and myth?

Robert1
08-11-2017, 11:08 PM
My estimated date was August 3 but I got my results about July 3. My Mother's sample just arrived at LDNA and I was given a target date of November 5. I hope it's early, too.

I'd say #2 is mostly fake news as results will be different for each person who tests. I don't think the test is intentionally biased toward the UK, it really depends on how closely you match LDNA's reference populations. For me I think I got slightly too much UK, about 5% of my SE English should be French/German/Netherlands but LDNA acknowledges this can happen. (After all the Dover Strait is only about 20 miles/30 KM.) LDNA is improving their reference base in Germany, Ireland and Sweden to address these problem areas.

Dimanto
08-11-2017, 11:15 PM
If they haven't made reference groups for the most relevant Italian regions it's not worth the money (for me that is).

Robert1
08-11-2017, 11:28 PM
https://www.livingdna.com/en/help-centre/198/which-datasets-provide-living-dna-family-ancestry-breakdown

Living DNA Help Centre:

Which datasets provide the Living DNA family ancestry breakdown?

The Living DNA family ancestry breakdown has been built using a range of databases which are either publically available, or which the company has been granted the use of. A full white paper is being prepared which will be detailing the databases used.

The Britain and Ireland specific ancestry database comes from the dataset collected during The Peopling of the British Isles project with additional supplementary data. Worldwide databases come from a variety of sources, including HapMap3, and the HGDP.

greerpalmer
08-12-2017, 07:40 PM
The English "bias" is mostly applicable to Germanic populations in central and western Europe. Even 23andme has an 8% recall and sub80% precision on this group. I have yet to see someone who has tested with other services and consistently not shown Germanic portions that are significantly overindexing on UK.

sktibo
08-12-2017, 09:21 PM
The English "bias" is mostly applicable to Germanic populations in central and western Europe. Even 23andme has an 8% recall and sub80% precision on this group. I have yet to see someone who has tested with other services and consistently not shown Germanic portions that are significantly overindexing on UK.

Germans get a ton of BI often on FTDNA, it's not unusual for Ancestry's Great Britain to be their largest component, mixed German people get British on Living DNA, but as of the recent update CelticGerman actually got almost all of the Germanic Category with only a little bit in England & Wales unspecified.. this was particularly interesting to see a test actually able to label a German as a German... unfortunately it doesn't seem to work so well with other German people.

Xtian
08-14-2017, 08:10 AM
I have received 2.9% English/Wales and I am from Southern Russia on LDNA. I am pretty sure this is next to impossible knowing my family history.

No other DNA test nor Gedmatch test shows the same.