PDA

View Full Version : Sex and age determination of an old mineralized skeleton

mtajvidi
08-14-2017, 07:02 PM
Hello
This is my first post here on this wonderful forum.

My major is genetics but recently I happen to job-shadow at a Cultural Heritage Organization here in middle east.
For start I was given three old incomplete mineralized skeletons and my task is to determine the sex and age of the skeletons. but there's not much to look at, there's no pelvis and I only got 3 impaired skulls and very badly shaped femur's head.

I have uploaded some of the pictures here:
It doesn't allow me to send the link of the pictures!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been reading a lot about this topic recently and I'm confident that I could estimate the sex and age of an intact complete skeleton if I had one, but the only features I got here is suture marks on the skull and an impaired right head of femur and some premolar and canine teeth and some measurements of course.

That's would be very nice if you could look through the pictures and point me a feature that I could help me somehow estimate the sex and age of the skeletons better from for example the suture mark/ size of the skull/ dental attrition etc.

Here are the measurements:
Skull 1 :
Zy-zy: Bizygomatic Diameter = (47.89x2)= 95.78 mm
Interorbital Breadth= 26.71 mm
Mastoid Length= 27.63 mm

Other features that I guessed :
Zygomatic bone: narrow (female)
Tympanic plate: Smooth, Less rounded in comparison with male (prob. female)
Frontal Bone: Smooth, vertical [Prob. Female]
Glabella: Not developed [Prob. Female (2)]
Supraorbital margin: Sharp, flattened [Prob. Female (2)]
Mastoid Process: Small, Not developed [Prob. Female (2)]
Other Features: Frontal suture of the skull is completely closed and obliterated. Coronal, sagittal and lumbdoidal sutures are not observable and the occipital, parietal and temporal bones of the skull appear to be broken apart. [age estimation 15-25 yrs]

Skull 2:
• Vault of the Skull: seems rounded (Prob. Male)
• Three sutures of the skull including coronal, sagittal and lambdoidal sutures are tightly fused and closed but not obliterated. (sagittal and lumbdoidal sutures close after the age 32)
• Signs of dental attrition observed

Measurements:
Zy-zy: Bizygomatic Diameter= (54.49x2)= 108.98 mm

Right Femur’s Head and neck:
• Anterior-Posterior Diameter of the head= 38.81 mm
• Maximum head diameter : 123 mm
• Neck (posterior-inferior diameter)= 30.57 mm
• Neck (posterior-anterior diameter)= 23.41 mm

features of femur's h:
• Epiphyseal Fusion : The epiphyses of the right femur have fully joined (it’s an adult)
• Sign of mild osteoporosis

Skull3:
• Sagittal and lumbdoidal sutures are not completely closed. (picture uploaded)

Measurements:
Maximum Cranial length = 292.3 mm

Any help would be very much appreciated.

mtajvidi
08-14-2017, 07:08 PM
How can I actually upload some pictures here?

Amerijoe
08-14-2017, 07:11 PM
mtajvidi, welcome to the forum. Keep posting and your privileges should kick in. I'm not sure, but it may be 10 posts. Others can confirm the exact number.

08-14-2017, 07:24 PM
Yes just keep replying.

MikeWhalen
08-14-2017, 07:25 PM
Hi mtajvidi

not being able to post pics until you have joined in some conversations is one strategy to try to beat the miserable spam bots that still sneak through all the defenses the forum has...I believe Amerijoe is quite correct, but I am unsure what the exact number is...10 rings a bell but

so, I suggest you peruse the forum and join in a few conversations, or post more info about the present subject and eventually, you will be able to post pics

good luck, sounds facinating

Mike

Pappy
08-14-2017, 08:22 PM
20 posts, I just went through the process

mtajvidi
08-15-2017, 11:19 AM
Thank you for the replies.
I'll try to post ~20 posts so I can update the thread with the links.

mtajvidi
08-15-2017, 11:22 AM
... till then any help regarding determining the age and sex from the measurement mentioned above would be appreciated

mtajvidi
08-16-2017, 05:04 PM
one more question: What is the most reliable metric and morphological methods for sex determination for archaeological purposes ?

Dewsloth
08-16-2017, 05:28 PM
Hello
This is my first post here on this wonderful forum.

My major is genetics but recently I happen to job-shadow at a Cultural Heritage Organization here in middle east.
For start I was given three old incomplete mineralized skeletons and my task is to determine the sex and age of the skeletons. but there's not much to look at, there's no pelvis and I only got 3 impaired skulls and very badly shaped femur's head.

Ugh. I wish you the best of luck with this. I haven't had a physical anthro class in decades, so I'm no help.