PDA

View Full Version : Genetic Communities: Is there a time line till out of beta?

chelle
08-14-2017, 10:27 PM
Questions...

1) Is there a timeline for when it will come out of beta?

2) Is there a cap on how many communities people will be given?

3) How many communities have you been given so far?

4) Do you think they will increase the communities given to people once it is out of beta?

What communities have you been given? I got Early Settlers of Tennessee and the Deep South and Jews of Central Europe. I was hoping to also get something to definitively tie me to a region in Ireland, Scotland or England. I really thought I would get something Ulster. Oh well, fingers crossed that they add more communities to individuals later if they apply.

kostoffj
08-15-2017, 02:18 PM
All good questions, I would imagine that the answer for #2 is "however many they can sort you into." The key question IMO is #4. I was assigned one community, Germans in the Midwest, which was very accurate since that is the majority of my ancestry (~50%), and I thought it was interesting that the GC tests identified not only an ethnicity but the part of it that migrated in large numbers in a specific window of time to the American Midwest, which is a lot more interesting and useful result than the ethnicity estimators. But I also have significant Irish ancestry (~30%), who migrated here from Cork and Waterford in the 1860s - why didn't I get assigned an Irish genetic community? And will I? I would think I should, it's a pretty high percentage so I wonder why I didn't trip the threshold. Maybe I don't match enough people in the Ancestry database on the Irish side to register?

I also wonder if anyone's been assigned more than one community. I haven't seen anyone with more than one, but that's just my personal experience.

It would be nice to see some feedback from the company on where they are going with all this and address questions like mine and yours.

PS - your ancestry is very similar to my wife's. She's like 85% Appalachian hillbillies and 15% Ashkenazi Jews from Russia. She had no idea about her Jewish ancestry until she had her DNA tested, then we started doing research into her family tree and eventually found the ancestor.

MacUalraig
08-15-2017, 02:27 PM
All good questions, I would imagine that the answer for #2 is "however many they can sort you into." The key question IMO is #4. I was assigned one community, Germans in the Midwest, which was very accurate since that is the majority of my ancestry (~50%), and I thought it was interesting that the GC tests identified not only an ethnicity but the part of it that migrated in large numbers in a specific window of time to the American Midwest, which is a lot more interesting and useful result than the ethnicity estimators. But I also have significant Irish ancestry (~30%), who migrated here from Cork and Waterford in the 1860s - why didn't I get assigned an Irish genetic community? And will I? I would think I should, it's a pretty high percentage so I wonder why I didn't trip the threshold. Maybe I don't match enough people in the Ancestry database on the Irish side to register?

I also wonder if anyone's been assigned more than one community. I haven't seen anyone with more than one, but that's just my personal experience.

It would be nice to see some feedback from the company on where they are going with all this and address questions like mine and yours.

PS - your ancestry is very similar to my wife's. She's like 85% Appalachian hillbillies and 15% Ashkenazi Jews from Russia. She had no idea about her Jewish ancestry until she had her DNA tested, then we started doing research into her family tree and eventually found the ancestor.

Not sure what the record is, I am in two and pretty sure I've seen people in 3-4. I am tracking the GC membership and match counts and they are growing nicely since it was first rolled out.

greerpalmer
08-15-2017, 02:28 PM
I've been asking the same. I only got the Ulster Irish/ North Midlands community which only represents two or three people in my family tree. Almost all of my matches with overlapping individuals are German or colonial Maryland/Massachusetts/Virginia/Pennsylvania as are my 4 circles. I'm hoping it will just be one or two more matches and it'll recognize me as part of those communities.

Amerijoe
08-15-2017, 03:15 PM
Communities list: 1.) 95%- Scots, subgroup (60%-Scots in Central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland), 2.) 20%- Early Settlers of the Ohio River Valley, Indiana, Illinois & Iowa, 3.) 20%-Ulster Irish. 1&3, indicate the most probable fits. #2, haven't found any connection to date.

MacUalraig
08-15-2017, 03:25 PM
Communities list: 1.) 95%- Scots, subgroup (60%-Scots in Central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland), 2.) 20%- Early Settlers of the Ohio River Valley, Indiana, Illinois & Iowa, 3.) 20%-Ulster Irish. 1&3, indicate indicate the most probable fits. #2, haven't found any connection to date.

Intriguing to be in an immigrant group that predates your own emigration. But I don't have a single American in my family tree so in the same situation I would struggle to link everything up I think.

Nqp15hhu
08-15-2017, 03:29 PM

I'm Northern Irish and I was assigned Scots and Ulster Irish. Although, oddly I have no Great Britain ancestry, based on AncestryDNA.

I would think there would be improvements in the product with time.

sktibo
08-15-2017, 03:33 PM
3)
two, Scots in Central and NE Scotland, and a French Settlers umbrella GC.
4)
I really hope so, I think they're playing it pretty safe with the GC's so far but it would be interesting to see a "Speculative" view or something where it takes a bit more risk in assigning us - noted of course that it's uncertain.

mwauthy
08-15-2017, 03:50 PM
I think it all has to do with Ancestry's database. My dad is 100% Wallonian Belgium to 1650 yet he got zero genetic communities due to the fact that probably only a handful of people have tested from that area. I'm only 50% French Canadian yet I received that genetic community because over 50,000 French Canadians have tested with Ancestry.

Nqp15hhu
08-15-2017, 04:05 PM
What does 20% really mean? Does that mean you have a chance of having ancestry?

Amerijoe
08-15-2017, 05:41 PM

With unknowns in my ancestry, I look at it both ways, 20% chance of belonging and an 80% of not.

kujira692
08-15-2017, 05:55 PM
My father received 5 Genetic Communities: French Settlers along the St Lawrence, Early Settlers of New York, Settlers of the Massachusetts Coast and Nova Scotia, Scots, and English Newfoundlanders.
My mother received 1: Settlers of Southeastern New York
I received 3: French Settlers along the St Lawrence, Settlers of Southeastern New York, and English Newfoundlanders
A sister received 3: Early Settlers of New York, Scots, and Settlers of the Massachusetts Coast and Nova Scotia
A different sister received 1: Scots

Amerijoe
08-15-2017, 05:58 PM
My father received 5 Genetic Communities: French Settlers along the St Lawrence, Early Settlers of New York, Settlers of the Massachusetts Coast and Nova Scotia, Scots, and English Newfoundlanders.
My mother received 1: Settlers of Southeastern New York
I received 3: French Settlers along the St Lawrence, Settlers of Southeastern New York, and English Newfoundlanders
A sister received 3: Early Settlers of New York, Scots, and Settlers of the Massachusetts Coast and Nova Scotia
A different sister received 1: Scots

How accurate would you rate the above?

sktibo
08-15-2017, 06:22 PM

Just means it's less certain about it. My GC's are both at 20% and I definitely have ancestry from both of the regions - quite a bit of it in fact.
IIRC MacUalraig's "Scots" GC is also 20% and I believe he lives in Scotland? His ancestry is quite certain anyways. Ancestry is just erring on the side of caution, very few people I've seen have incorrect or mismatching GC's.. it's accuracy rate is incredibly high even at 20% probability.

Nqp15hhu
08-15-2017, 06:45 PM
So in my case, would that mean Ulster Scots extraction or actual Scottish Ancestors, further back?

MacUalraig
08-15-2017, 07:11 PM
So in my case, would that mean Ulster Scots extraction or actual Scottish Ancestors, further back?

I was a bit confused by your GCs - mine is the combined 'Central Scotland and Ulster Ireland' which is a subset of Scots. You as I understand are in the Ulster Irish GC plus the Scots. Reading their descriptions of the Ulster Irish I'm unclear whether this is supposed to exclude an element of Scot...; not to mention what the difference between my one group and your two are :-)

Nqp15hhu
08-15-2017, 07:13 PM
Nope. Ulster Irish is a seperate Irish group, my second group is Scots, and no area is defined, just Scotland.

I think your group is Ulster Scots.

MacUalraig
08-15-2017, 07:20 PM
Yes that's what I said - probably we should put quote marks around their names when they contain 'and' in them ;-)

I would debate the suggestion that my group is Ulster Scots although I do have a bit of Ulster ancestry for a few generations (Belfast area). Its a minority at least as far as the paper trail goes.

Nqp15hhu
08-15-2017, 07:31 PM
Perhaps it's Western Scotland then?

MacUalraig
08-15-2017, 07:42 PM
Perhaps it's Western Scotland then?

In case you've not spotted you can view all the GCs whether you are in them or not, and read the descriptions. Just go to the bottom and it says

"See which Genetic Communities are available today." and hit View All.

Nqp15hhu
08-15-2017, 08:44 PM
In case you've not spotted you can view all the GCs whether you are in them or not, and read the descriptions. Just go to the bottom and it says

"See which Genetic Communities are available today." and hit View All.

Mines will probably provide more clarity when I get more matches, I only have a few hundred.

Mike_G
08-15-2017, 11:04 PM
I had one GC at 20% -- Irish in Donegal East, which checks with my Irish line.

Robert1
08-15-2017, 11:41 PM
I'm in three GCs and definitely have roots in each:

Early Settlers of Tennessee & The Deep South
Settlers of the North Carolina-South Carolina Border
Early Settlers of the Lower Midwest & Virginia

firemonkey
08-16-2017, 03:06 AM
1)Scots very likely 95%. Scots in NE and central Scotland likely 60%
2) English in West Midlands possible 20%

sktibo
08-16-2017, 03:29 AM
I had one GC at 20% -- Irish in Donegal East, which checks with my Irish line.

The GC's are damn good eh? I imagine for an adopted person starting from scratch they would be incredibly useful as they would supply a starting point

Mike_G
08-16-2017, 03:39 AM
The GC's are damn good eh? I imagine for an adopted person starting from scratch they would be incredibly useful as they would supply a starting point

Absolutely, especially if they improve or refine the program.

I'm still not quite about their methodology though because I'd expect to have an Eastern European GC as well. They immigrated to the US during the big rush to North America between 1875 and 1900. I think I have enough matches to support it.

kujira692
08-20-2017, 01:55 PM
AMERIJOE:

All of the Genetic Communities are very accurate that my family has been assigned to. I think it's the same with other's results I've read that there are some communities "missing" that I feel we should have, but the ones that are actually assigned are accurate.

Jessie
08-21-2017, 03:19 AM
My genetic community is correct in that it is Irish in Southern Ireland but I have no genetic community assigned for Connacht and all my father's ancestry going back generations is from the Sligo/North Roscommon area. I did receive the correct genetic community for my mother's ancestry though but surprised I only have one genetic community assigned.

Nqp15hhu
08-22-2017, 01:15 PM
The drop downs for the regional Genetic Communities has disappeared, how do I get that functionality back again?

Judith
08-22-2017, 02:02 PM
Nqp15hhu: only a few hundred matches in Ancestry that is wierd, I'd have thought many thousand! Have you uploaded to GEDmatch? And how does that compare in numbers?

Chelle: on your OP you said you hoped for British regions. I recommend livingDNA for that and their price is reduced at present. We are very detail conscious on this forum (being pedantic helps in genealogy) so disregard much of the criticism

MacUalraig
08-22-2017, 02:04 PM
The drop downs for the regional Genetic Communities has disappeared, how do I get that functionality back again?

Mine are still there.

Amerijoe
08-22-2017, 02:50 PM

Same here, Scots subgroup, Central Scotland & Ulster Irish are gone. Matches have not changed, Scots 208, Early Settlers of the ORV 78, and Ulster Irish 106. Noticeable increase in matches since start of genetic communities.

Nqp15hhu
08-22-2017, 03:30 PM
Same here, Scots subgroup, Central Scotland & Ulster Irish are gone. Matches have not changed, Scots 208, Early Settlers of the ORV 78, and Ulster Irish 106. Noticeable increase in matches since start of genetic communities.

Yup, my Scots and Ulster Irish have increased but no Regional Breakdown. Perhaps, Ancestry are reassigning groups or have set up new thresholds?

Nqp15hhu
08-22-2017, 03:33 PM
Mine are still there.
Nope, I have looked everywhere.

MacUalraig
08-22-2017, 03:38 PM

That's a lot of Scots! I've only got 58 at that level, but then again I'm only a half-breed.

MacUalraig
08-22-2017, 03:40 PM
Here is some late advice - make sure you make lists of everyone in these groups in case they change your GC membership ;-) I have all mine tracked in a spreadsheet.

Nqp15hhu
08-22-2017, 03:54 PM
That's a lot of Scots! I've only got 58 at that level, but then again I'm only a half-breed.

I have 36.

AntG
08-22-2017, 05:25 PM
4)
I really hope so, I think they're playing it pretty safe with the GC's so far but it would be interesting to see a "Speculative" view or something where it takes a bit more risk in assigning us - noted of course that it's uncertain.

They did have... I officially had 1 GC... Scots, but when in the GC section, there was a dropdown where it was also showing that I was in Scots in Central Scotland and Ulster, but at a lower likelihood; I've now noticed that they have dropped this...

Amerijoe
08-22-2017, 06:53 PM

Due to daddy issues, l'd take half-breed. Haven't found one match with any genealogical value to date. Looking over my maternal aunt (proxy for Mum) matches, Scots 87 and Ulster Irish 80. Looks like dad may be responsible for the match increase with Scots 208 and what's more confusing, an increase in Ulster Irish with 106. The Ancestrydna breakdown is as follows.

Results Aunt/Me

Ireland. 67/49
Great Britain. 16/47
Euro. Jewish. 0/1
Italy/Greece. 0/<1
Europe West. 7/<1
Finland/NW Russia 0/<1
Scandinavia. 10/0

What is rather surprising is the absence of Scandinavian in my results. Livingdna @4.6%, 23andMe @1.4%. Geno project results state average Scandinavian in Irish @11% and Scots @17% and they also give me 2% Arabia. Now everytime I see ASI in admixture results, ArabianScotchIrish will come to mind.

Nqp15hhu
08-22-2017, 06:56 PM
So you're majority Scots and that's your Irish percentage? What do you think about that?

I got less than 1% Scandinavian so your results aren't surprising.

MacUalraig
08-22-2017, 07:32 PM
So you're majority Scots and that's your Irish percentage? What do you think about that?

I got less than 1% Scandinavian so your results aren't surprising.

The Irish panel produces matches in Scotland too even though it was built purely from Irish people. So its no big deal.

MacUalraig
08-22-2017, 07:35 PM
Due to daddy issues, l'd take half-breed. Haven't found one match with any genealogical value to date.

Do you mean you can't link any into your tree, or just that you didn't learn anything new from them? I don't have a single solved match on my dad's (Scottish) side, for some reason all my close confirmed ones are in Yorks/Lincs/Staffs. I am trying to talk my sister into doing it too to increase the chances of more paternal links.

Amerijoe
08-22-2017, 07:55 PM
With just half a tree, linking produces it's challenges. Having parents with similar ethnicities makes it difficult to assign maternal or paternal matches. Match contacts to date have not been able to pinpoint any commonality with available family surnames on maternal side. Some ancestor surnames go back deep in history. Doesn't mean am connected to them per se, but interesting none the less.

It' good to see your getting other family members involved. The more the more informative. On my mum's side there were four McKenzie boys, all sadly gone now. Have a first cousin immigrated to Australia some time back. No family contact for awhile. Would like to confirm a high incidence of my aunts matches with M269.

kostoffj
08-22-2017, 08:09 PM
On the subject of Scandinavian percentages in the Irish, is it common for some Irish to score high? My father's line goes back to Ireland (great-great-grandfather was the immigrant), Cork, and on FTDNA I get estimated at 42% Scandinavian and no British Isles, Ancestry DNA 35% Scandinavian and 31% British Isles (but only 2% Ireland), and 23andMe 17.3% British and Irish (and only 6% Scandinavian).

The actual breakdown is about 50% German, 30% Irish, 20% others. I know the limitations of the ancestry estimators, but sometimes I think you can see artifacts of the genetic structure of the various ethnicities with a "wrong" result. I theorize my deep paternal ancestry is from viking invaders to Ireland - that part of Ireland was raided and settled by Vikings and my Y DNA HG is R1a-YP263, which is very rare for Ireland and is I think a marker of Polabian Slavs (it's under M458->CTS11962->L1029 mostly found in Poland, Czechia, East Germany), who were known to associate with the Vikings including being members of their raiding parties. But it seems to me that the Scandinavian signal autosomally would be pretty well mixed out after over 1000 years, and here some of you indeed show very little. Obviously there has to be Viking admixture in the Irish, but I wonder what the structure is? Are there groups of Irish who show lots, were the gaelicized Vikings mostly endogamous in particular areas? I have no clue.

I have absolutely no Scandinavians in my family tree, going fairly far back across all lines, so I am convinced my "scandinavian" must come out of Ireland.

Nqp15hhu
08-25-2017, 12:21 AM
I got less than 1% Scandinavian. My results were surprising in that Eastern Europe was my main "other" region in Europe!

FionnSneachta
08-25-2017, 08:58 AM
On the subject of Scandinavian percentages in the Irish, is it common for some Irish to score high? My father's line goes back to Ireland (great-great-grandfather was the immigrant), Cork, and on FTDNA I get estimated at 42% Scandinavian and no British Isles, Ancestry DNA 35% Scandinavian and 31% British Isles (but only 2% Ireland), and 23andMe 17.3% British and Irish (and only 6% Scandinavian).

I only get <1% Scandinavian and 1% Finland/Northwest Russia while the only region that my aunt gets outside of Ireland is Great Britain. In the Irish results that I've seen, there's usually only very little or no Scandinavian.

Judith
09-04-2017, 03:43 PM
I have just got my Ancestry DNA results (also had FTDNA and23&me for some while) and they show my genetic communities as suprise surprise English midlanders 18545

Learning what to ignore on Ancestry DNA hints is going to be just a much of a joy with their DNA as with their tree hints!

MacUalraig
09-04-2017, 03:54 PM
Are you sure they weren't still populating your GCs? Membership shouldn't be determined by tree linkage. That contradicts their White Paper in a big way.

Judith
09-04-2017, 05:47 PM
Are you sure they weren't still populating your GCs? Membership shouldn't be determined by tree linkage. That contradicts their White Paper in a big way.

Guess what they were still populating it and my link was not working right. I have corected the above!
BUT the English midlanders and Northerners was right. They ought to be able to creat the 2 communities in that region too, but they haven't yet.

sktibo
09-04-2017, 06:02 PM
Guess what they were still populating it and my link was not working right. I have corected the above!
BUT the English midlanders and Northerners was right. They ought to be able to creat the 2 communities in that region too, but they haven't yet.

I think English midlanders and northerners is more like midlanders, they have another "Northern English" community also

deadly77
09-04-2017, 10:03 PM
I think English midlanders and northerners is more like midlanders, they have another "Northern English" community also

I would say that the English Midlanders and Northerners includes Yorkshire and Lancashire which is a bit further North than the Midlands. It seems to go up to Middlesborough in the East and about up to Penrith in the West (so includes a fair bit of the Lake District in Cumbria too) 18549

There is a Northern English GC as well that covers more of Northumberland, Durham, Cumbria, Scottish Borders as well as some parts of North Yorkshire 18550

Of course, there is a bit of overlap between the Southern end of Northern English and the Northern end of English Midlanders and Northerners.

chelle
09-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Nqp15hhu: only a few hundred matches in Ancestry that is wierd, I'd have thought many thousand! Have you uploaded to GEDmatch? And how does that compare in numbers?

Chelle: on your OP you said you hoped for British regions. I recommend livingDNA for that and their price is reduced at present. We are very detail conscious on this forum (being pedantic helps in genealogy) so disregard much of the criticism

Thanks, Judith. I did test with LivingDNA. I was hoping the genetic communities would list some similar areas as the Livingdna results to possibly add validity to each test result and narrow things down a bit.

Judith
09-14-2017, 10:44 PM
Certainly genetic communities are still in beta: a week ago I had only 5 people in my northern and midlands community despite 5 confirmed local matches, none of whom were in my community.
Now I have about 90 people including my matches so they either have a slow learning algorithm, revisit it periodically or they are still developing it.
Either way it is better this week.

Nqp15hhu
09-15-2017, 06:33 PM
110 in Ulster Irish and 37 in Scots, a slight increase of 5/7 for each but I would like more clarification on the Scots one in terms of area. My Ulster Irish has been divided into Derry, Ulster East and Donegal.

Nqp15hhu
09-23-2017, 04:50 AM
Got another match in Scots, he has no GB.

Bobby Martnen
09-24-2017, 11:36 PM

Does that mean that 1 of her great-grandparents was Jewish, or that 2 were partially Jewish?

Teutorigos
09-28-2017, 06:22 AM
They assigned my genetic community as Ulster Irish with a 60% probability but my ancestry on paper is half Irish and the rest English, probably some Scottish, and Alsace-Lorraine Germanic/French.

I think they use a different technology or algorithm for matching people to their genetic communities then they use for their ethnicity estimate. Anyway, average Ulster Irish is like 51.9% Irish while the average Northern Ireland Scots/English sample is 48.49% Irish. So the difference between them is less than 4%. I score 52% Irish , on AncestryDNA but is just an estimate it says my possible range of 'Irishness' is 36%-68% but myheritage has me as 35% Irish,Scottish,Welsh. According to AncestryDNA I am 52% Irish, 37% British and 6% Scandinavian with rest seemingly being statistical noise what is paradoxical or at least enough to course cognitive dissonance is that I am both simultaneously more Irish and more British than the Northern Ireland Scots/English :

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/07/28/13/36AB019600000578-3711040-image-a-7_1469709880933.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/naudiz/Screenshot_20170412-221933_zpsioly1cwm.png

If you ask me the difference between the Ulster Irish and Ulster Scots/English is like white on rice they are really pretty much the same people despite religious differences. I think when results are this close and current DNA testing lackluster at telling the difference between the Ulster Irish and British I should identify with my Y DNA. If my Y-DNA is more Northern Ireland or Scotland then I'll identify as Scots if it is more Irish then Irish etc.. problem is I only tested with AncestryDNA so the raw data doesn't seem to be able to pinpoint my Y DNA so I'll eventually have to purchase a Y DNA test. Promethease, MorleyDNA Y chromosome predictor and Wegenes all give me different results for my Y haplogroup :

Wegenes R1b1a1a2a1a2c1f3a1
Morley Most likely : R1b1a2a1a2c1f
Promethease 1 most probable : R1b1b2a1a2f Second most probable: R1b1a2a1a

Teutorigos
09-28-2017, 06:39 AM
Questions...

1) Is there a timeline for when it will come out of beta?

2) Is there a cap on how many communities people will be given?

3) How many communities have you been given so far?

4) Do you think they will increase the communities given to people once it is out of beta?

What communities have you been given? I got Early Settlers of Tennessee and the Deep South and Jews of Central Europe. I was hoping to also get something to definitively tie me to a region in Ireland, Scotland or England. I really thought I would get something Ulster. Oh well, fingers crossed that they add more communities to individuals later if they apply.

Anyway, sorry, I went a bit off topic. I won't answer all your questions I'll just say :

3.) I was assigned just one genetic community with 60% probability.

4.) I dunno, but I am not hoping to be in more GC's per se just to have my probability , of the one, higher or to be switched to another like Ulster Scots with a higher probability. I just want like 80% probability, at least, in one GC.

Nqp15hhu
09-28-2017, 10:34 AM
I don't think the average Ulster Scots person is 49% Irish. We have established on here, that the Irish is a Celtic classification.

I'd be interested to see what percentage of your DNA is alloted to Ulster Scots as you should be able to pick that up in the Genetic Communities. I am only 30% Ulster Scots and I have been added to the Scots Genetic Community, myself.

MacUalraig
09-28-2017, 10:54 AM
I don't think the average Ulster Scots person is 49% Irish. We have established on here, that the Irish is a Celtic classification.

I'd be interested to see what percentage of your DNA is alloted to Ulster Scots as you should be able to pick that up in the Genetic Communities. I am only 30% Ulster Scots and I have been added to the Scots Genetic Community, myself.

The percentages they mention in the GCs are the probability you are a member of that GC, not how much of your DNA is in it. You can have high counts in more than one ie a tallied percentage of > 100%.

Nqp15hhu
09-28-2017, 10:55 AM
My point is that his Ulster Scots ancestry might be quite low as mines was picked up and it's only 30%.

Teutorigos
09-28-2017, 11:09 AM
The percentages they mention in the GCs are the probability you are a member of that GC, not how much of your DNA is in it. You can have high counts in more than one ie a tallied percentage of > 100%.

Right, they use a completely different technology or algorithm for GC than they do for their ethnicity estimate.

FionnSneachta
09-28-2017, 04:34 PM
Most people seem to have gotten very accurate genetic communities so I wouldn't be so dismissive of it. I know a professional genealogist who is very dubious of ethnicity estimates was very impressed with the genetic communities and how they're calculated. Obviously none of these things are perfect but results shouldn't be dismissed automatically. It would be foolish to pay money for these tests and then just totally disregard the results. Seriously, there's no need for the attitude. Some people on this forum are new to this and they're not automatically experts in this area. People buy these ethnicity tests for a reason. We can take information from them and compare the results to other algorithms and hopefully help in pointing in the right direction in the family tree. To just say in a blanket statement that they're pretty much useless means that no one should bother with these. I know that I mainly bought the test for DNA matches since I knew that I was Irish and that there was no mixture but there are others interested in the ethnicity side of it and I have become more interested in that side of it myself since I've taken the test.

Just to let you know that my ethnicity hasn't been contradicted yet. We know that certain populations like England can be difficult for these algorithms to pinpoint accurately due to overlap. In the case of Irish ancestry though, AncestryDNA has been very reliable for most people. As Nqp15hhu has already said, Ancestry tends to give the Scottish and Welsh high percentages of Irish because Ancestry is recognising it as more 'Celtic' really so that's not a surprise. As you say, you can't go by phenotype. A few people in Ireland have thought that my brother was German or Polish based on appearance. Also can you link me to where you're getting the information that you're more Irish and British than the average Ulster Scot? I've never come across those figures for the average Ulster Scot. I would have imagined that the average Ulster Scot would be just mainly getting Irish and British as their ethnicity estimate on Ancestry.

Humanist
09-28-2017, 07:35 PM
Please keep the discussion civil, gentlemen. A post that violated our ToS, and the reply to the post in question have been deleted from this thread.

Nqp15hhu
09-30-2017, 09:26 PM
Has anyone's Genetic Communities increased in probability?

msmarjoribanks
10-01-2017, 07:27 PM
Mine have stayed the same.

I have only Early Settlers of the OH River Valley (60% probability, and 304 DNA matches, including a first cousin, also belong to this community) and Early Settlers of PA, OH, and IN (only 20% probability, 193 DNA matches, NOT including my first cousin, despite the fact that he shares a connection with most of the people who are identified as why I'm in it). I'm not sure I understand these categories/how they define them, but I was a little disappointed just because my paper record demonstrates that my ancestors unquestionably ARE in many cases early settlers of these places, so it didn't seem to be telling me anything new. I'm also not sure why only 20% probability on the one.

Probably mine are too mixed up to put me any European-based genetic communities.

A Norfolk L-M20
10-01-2017, 08:01 PM
July 2017:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17838&d=1501528537

Today (1st Oct 2017):

http://www.anthrogenica.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19095&d=1506888031

Nqp15hhu
10-01-2017, 08:50 PM
That's a fairly small Genetic Community. Both of mines are circa 200,000.

A Norfolk L-M20
10-01-2017, 08:52 PM
That's a fairly small Genetic Community. Both of mines are circa 200,000.

Spot on though. In comparison 23andme's "Timeline" looks ridiculous with my results.

Edit: Suggests that less East Anglians have sown their oats in the Americas than have your Northern Irish ancestors perhaps? I think that East Anglia contributed quite a few puritans to the Americas, but it was a long time ago - more recently during C19, we seem to have sent quite a few more people (ag labs) to Tasmania and Australia, not all involuntarily.

Nqp15hhu
10-01-2017, 08:59 PM
Yeah incredibly accurate for me! Gave both the region and county that I live in.

Riley
10-01-2017, 09:12 PM
No increase in probability here, but I did get a few more matches added to my communities. I'm guessing new matches aren't increasing fast enough to affect probability just yet.

You and 1,063 of your DNA matches, along with 710,626 other AncestryDNA members, are all genetically linked to form the Genetic Community Early Settlers of the Lower Midwest & Virginia. Our confidence that you belong is 60% (likely).
-- (used to be 1,000 matches at the start of the summer)

You and 71 of your DNA matches, along with 23,250 other AncestryDNA members, are all genetically linked to form the Genetic Community Settlers of Northeast Arkansas. Our confidence that you belong is 20% (possible).
-- (used to be 67 matches at the start of the summer)

Aside from a small increase in matches, I did notice that the eye color info chart that used to be on my Lower Midwest & Virginia community page wasn't there anymore. Did anyone else have something similar show up?

Amerijoe
10-01-2017, 09:15 PM
Located the Scots in Central Scotland and Ulster, Ireland subgroup dropped from the Scots. It is now listed in Genetic Community Matches under the dropdown menu. Why it was dropped there and transferred here is anybody’s guess. Still wondering why have two Ulster designations. Is Ulster Ireland presumed different from Ulster Irish by the Central Scot inclusion?

FionnSneachta
10-01-2017, 09:36 PM
The confidence my genetic community hasn't changed. It's still at a 95% confidence for Connacht Irish. It says that:
You and 224 of your DNA matches, along with 125,669 other AncestryDNA members, are all genetically linked to form the Genetic Community Connacht Irish.

It used to break up Connacht into North Connacht and Galway for me but it doesn't seem to do that anymore. North Connacht was at 60% and Galway was at 20%.

Nqp15hhu
10-01-2017, 09:44 PM
I have had aditional matches but I don't think it is increasing fast enough.

I think you need about 100 in a 200,000 for a high probability.