PDA

View Full Version : Basic question from a newb - am I misunderstaning the haplogroups?

Cosher Bailey
08-21-2017, 09:18 PM
A very basic question from a newb on Ydna - if this is too basic for the forum I'm more than happy to remove the post :-)

I've ordered (for my father) a Y-67 from FTDNA. In the interim, I've just tried
MorleyDNA.com Y-SNP Terminal Subclade predictor (using Ancestry Autosomal DNA V2 data). The most likely result shows as: "I2a2a1a1a; I2-L126 (I2-L137, I2-L369)." I think, through I'm not sure, that this is an I-M Haplogroup - though I don't yet know which. (The only other listed options/less likely were I2a2a1 and I2a2a.)

I also tried Promethease, where the top prediction (i.e. the rarest) was rs2032646 (G;G). I checked the ISOGG database for mutations, and was positive. From what I can tell - and I may have gone wrong here - this is Haplogroup E2b.

Could there be any reason why these predictors (and I get the fact these are predictions) seem to point to very different haplogroups - or am I misunderstanding the categories, by say, comparing apples and oranges? I've looked at the other items in the list on Promethease but can't find any that take me to any I-M Haplogroup, so I'm inclined to think the problem lies with me.

Thanks

palamede
08-23-2017, 09:07 PM
A very basic question from a newb on Ydna - if this is too basic for the forum I'm more than happy to remove the post :-)

MorleyDNA.com Y-SNP Terminal Subclade predictor (using Ancestry Autosomal DNA V2 data). The most likely result shows as: "I2a2a1a1a; I2-L126 (I2-L137, I2-L369)." I think, through I'm not sure, that this is an I-M Haplogroup - though I don't yet know which. (The only other listed options/less likely were I2a2a1 and I2a2a.)

I also tried Promethease, where the top prediction (i.e. the rarest) was rs2032646 (G;G). I checked the ISOGG database for mutations, and was positive. From what I can tell - and I may have gone wrong here - this is Haplogroup E2b.

Could there be any reason why these predictors (and I get the fact these are predictions) seem to point to very different haplogroups - or am I misunderstanding the categories, by say, comparing apples and oranges? I've looked at the other items in the list on Promethease but can't find any that take me to any I-M Haplogroup, so I'm inclined to think the problem lies with me.

Thanks

One isolated mutation is rarely significant and E2b is a sub-saharan haplogroup .

The prediction with Y-67 is not so sure than by concordant SNPs , but here it is probably correct.
FTDNA has SNP pack for I2 testers to verify and to deepen the results

See the SNP pack for I2a2a-M223 which includes your predicted SNPs http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?5336-FTDNA-s-new-I-M223-SNP-Pack-tests-159-SNPs-for-99

Before contact the haplogroup I user group . Several responsible people write in this forum frequently.

ArmandoR1b
08-23-2017, 11:41 PM

Thanks

In order to be positive for a haplogroup you have to be positive for upstream SNPs also. The problem with Ancestry Autosomal DNA V2 data is that it contains a limited number of Y-DNA SNPs and the false positives might not be removed. However, since MorleyDNA.com gave you "I2a2a1a1a; I2-L126 (I2-L137, I2-L369)." then it is very doubtful that you are in haplogroup E.

Will you post a screenshot of your MorleyDNA.com Y-SNP Terminal Subclade predictor results? That way we can see which upstream SNPs you have?

Since you only have one post so far you will have to upload the screenshot to an image hosting site then paste the address separated by spaces.

Cosher Bailey
08-24-2017, 10:38 AM
Thank you palamede - especially for the link to the SNP pack for I2a2a-M223.

And thank you ArmandoR1b - here's a link to my screenshot of the Motley DNA: imgur.com/a/IDb2g