PDA

View Full Version : X Chr match

R. Walker
08-02-2013, 04:56 AM
My brother and I each have a match with someone on the X chromosome. This fellow has some ancestors who were Swiss Mennonites. Our mother's father was born in Switzerland in the late 1800s in an area where there were many Anabaptist/Mennonite folk. Although Grandpa's mother's family was Reformed, we do not have a clue as to who his father is. I guess the most we can say is that this segment is definitely through our mother, and her father, who would have gotten it from his mother. So I guess there is no clue there as to what Grandpa's paternal line is. :-(

AJL
08-02-2013, 07:09 PM
Those X segments are fun to trace, if you can. Mine are mostly from my mother's mother's mother's mother with some from my mother's father's mother's mother.

ilmari
08-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Almost all of my traceable X matches are along my direct maternal line for quite some time and then eventually we probably hit a male, and then a few are mostly that lineage with a father thrown in for good measure at the end of the paper trail. I have one that is even my same mtDNA

AJL
08-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Cool -- I'm jealous of how good the Finnish records are!

juttt45
04-01-2015, 11:03 AM
Mine are mostly from my mother's mother's mother's mother with some from my mother's father's mother's mother.???

ilmari
04-03-2015, 10:50 PM
http://dnamatches.blogspot.com/2012/07/understanding-x-chromosome-inheritance.html

geebee
04-20-2015, 07:24 AM
It's especially interesting looking at X-matches involving multiple siblings of both sexes. As expected, all three of my sisters clearly have one entire chromosome in common -- the one they received from our father. But one brother and one sister also have an entire X in common, which can only be their maternal X.

Since they have the entire chromosome in common, that implies either identical crossovers over no crossovers. "No crossovers" seems the more likely possibility, and so far it appears that all of their X chromosome matches at 23andMe are on our maternal grandfather's side. This in turn means that the chromosome is purely from our father's mother.

I share the same X with these two siblings, except for the centromere and immediately surrounding region.