PDA

View Full Version : DNA.Land vs. AncestryDNA - Huge differences (Known Ancestry: Armenian/Russian)

ArmoSlavLady
08-31-2017, 01:50 PM
Hello,

I am quite new to this, but I have developed an interest because of the cloud of mystery that hangs over my family's ancestry. My mother's known ancestry is Armenian (she claims distant Bulgarian), and my father is half Armenian/half Russian. Thus, the AncestryDNA results were not at all surprising, since the "Caucasus" and "Italy/Greece" classifications added up perfectly to 75%, leaving the other European influences to my 25% Russian ancestry. However, the results I got from DNA Land were very different! I'm not sure what to make of it. I will post my results below, and perhaps someone can help me make sense of it. Keep in mind, I am very new to this. Thanks!

AncestryDNA:
Europe 38%
Europe East 17%
Italy/Greece 13%
Low Confidence Region
Europe West 5%
Finland/Northwest Russia 3%
West Asia 62%
Caucasus 59%
Low Confidence Region
Middle East 3%

DNA Land:

West Eurasian 100%
Central Indoeuropean 42%
Includes: Abkhasian in Abkhazia/Georgia; Armenian in Armenia; Georgian/Megrels in Georgia; Iranian in Iran; Druze in (Carmel) Israel; Balkar, Chechen, Kumyk, Lezgin, North Ossetian and Adygei in (Caucasus and 5 other sites) Russia and Turkish in (Adana, Aydin, Balikesir, Istanbul, Kayseri, Trabzon and 1 other site) Turkey
South/Central European 33%
Includes: Italian/Bergamo, Italian/Tuscan and Toscani in (Bergamo, Tuscany and 1 other site) Italy
Balkan 1%
Includes: Albanian in Albania; Bulgarian in Bulgaria and Greek in (2 sites) Greece
Northwest European 8.7%
Includes: Scottish Argyll_Bute_GBR and British in England; Icelandic in Iceland; Norwegian in Norway and Orcadian in Orkney Islands
Indo-Iranian 7.6%
Includes: Balochi, Brahui and Makrani in Pakistan
Kalash 1%
Includes: Kalash in Pakistan
Finnish 5.3%
Includes: Finnish in Finland
North Slavic 1.8%
Includes: Belarusian in Belarus; Estonian in Estonia; Lithuanian in Lithuania; Mordovian and Russian in Russia and Ukrainian in (East) Ukraine

So clearly, there is a big difference here. DNA Land claims that I am up to 33% Italian, and there is absolutely no evidence of that. I could believe Greek, but not Italian. I also doubt the inclusion of Kalash and Indo-Iranian DNA. Also, I can't believe that I only have 1.8% North Slavic, since I know that my grandmother was full-blooded Russian. Should I take DNA Land seriously?

Bobby Martnen
09-24-2017, 11:59 PM
How accurate different tests are really depends on how your ancestry relates to the reference populations. Most Armenians do have some SE-Euro admixture, just like most Sicilians have some Levantine admixture.

Dee Ena
09-25-2017, 05:59 AM
DNA tests very often mix up the results of someone who is half-Armenian and half Northern European, etc. (I use this, not 75% Armenian and 25% Russian, as an example because that's what I'm familiar with.) For example, at 23andMe, a half-Armenian half-British Isles person was assigned close to 30% Italian, and then when their children took the test and their results were phased (compared for a better estimate of which bits came from which parent), the Italian estimate fell to about 1%. Similar errors can occur with half-Lebanese people and so on. Even someone who was half Greek and half Pontic Greek ran into this, as I recall.

If someone really was 30% Italian, they'd get a number of undeniable DNA matches to full-blooded Italians (instead of zero, which is what I've seen in such situations).

As for DNA.land in particular, uploading the exact same data of a mixed half-Armenian to DNA.land under two different accounts (i.e., created using different email addresses) can result in South/Central European estimates that are vastly different (like 7.6% vs. 19%). Similarly, for the same mixed person DNA.land may say they are 21% Mediterranean Islander (Sicilian, etc.) under one DNA submission, and 0% in another submission.

Your mention of Pakistani elements reminded me of a GEDmatch oracle (GedrosiaDNA Near East Neolithic K13) that uses several of the same populations named in your DNA.land report (Balochi, Brahui and Makrani) to balance out hypothetical Greek DNA in the case of one of these half-Armenians; i.e., they could be 66.4% Bulgarian and 33.6% Assyrian, or alternatively 89.1% Greek and 10.9% Brahui, and so on (other matches covered Balochi and Makrani DNA as well as Kurds, etc.).

So I would assume that the "average" of all the components DNA.land found for you matches your actual ancestry, but that some of these components are utterly spurious. And yes, sometimes people do find surprises--speaking of Bulgaria, one 23andMe forum participant ended up finding from her family that one great-grandparent was Bulgarian, not Armenian, which helped clarify her results.

Trixster
09-27-2017, 01:04 AM
I have some odd results on DNA Land (1% Dravidian, 1.5% ambiguous South east Asian and and 2.3% ambiguous)

A little bit of a buzz kill, but at least the upload was free. :\

Adam A
09-29-2017, 03:54 PM
Greek and italian DNA is very similar.

Kurki
01-16-2018, 03:44 AM
Do they NOT have a Russian reference population? I've taken a few tests and most have me some portion Russian/Siberian (I'm thinking lack of Sami population actually, but probably I am Yakut and Russian too... centuries or ages ago). DNA Land put me at 25% Finnish. At most, we had real Finnish ancestry maybe around 4% and the other tests seemed to figure 0-8% Finland and separate out Russia and the Baltics as well. If you are listed as Finnish and Lithuanian but not Russian, they maybe aren't even including Russia as a reference? Which would be ridiculous. So hopefully it's just an imperfect calculation. Of course the Baltics are somewhat close. Finland a little too. But my Finnish numbers were abnormally high on this test, whereas every other test has had more nuance for Asian populations, even if they can't seem to agree (Lithuanian, Estonian, Komi, Tuva, Russian).

They got my first population correct but then I think quite a bit off track. Thought I would chip that bit in. I see a Finland-Russia-Baltics reference pool issue most likely. You aren't NOT Russian because DNA Land missed it.

BeluvdLily
08-02-2018, 02:24 AM
I think they must have some kind of Russian population because I ended up with 18 percent North Slavic: Includes: Belarusian in Belarus; Estonian in Estonia; Lithuanian in Lithuania; Mordovian and Russian in Russia and Ukrainian in (East) Ukraine if that's of any help to you.

What is funny is that I didn't get anything of that nature from my AncestryDNA test. I was more Europe West, Scottis/Irish/Welse and British there. I tend to feel that the DNALand test may be more accurate for me but am eagerly awaiting the Ancestry update if indeed it ever comes.

czl
08-03-2018, 12:13 PM
Russians score a heavy percentage in the North Slavic category on dna land and East Europe and Finland/NW Russia on ancestry dna

BeluvdLily
09-27-2018, 07:06 PM
Personally, I feel that DNA.Land is very accurate. It closely matches my GEDmatch (Eurogenes K13 and others) and I think it's so different from Ancestry DNA results because it goes back much farther. I believe it goes back farther than a paper trail ever could.

BeluvdLily
09-27-2018, 07:11 PM
Russians score a heavy percentage in the North Slavic category on dna land and East Europe and Finland/NW Russia on ancestry dna

That's very interesting. I had no idea I had anything of that nature in my DNA but I just believe that it must be fairly far back. I was hoping to have something exotic and to me (Good old whitebread American with English and Scottish roots), my Russian, Icelandic, Basque, Baltic, Sardinian and Mediterranean that show up on DNA.Land are exotic. :)

czl
09-28-2018, 02:04 AM
Woah what a mix, and a pretty fine one!

Lirio100
09-28-2018, 07:12 PM
DNA Land:
NW Europe 62%
Finnish 11%
North Slavic 5.5
South/Central Europe 9.7
Ashkenazi 11%
Ambiguous 1.3

Ancestry:
England,Wales, NW Europe 38%
Sweden 27%
Norway 10%
Ashkenazi 13%
Germanic Europe 6%
Ireland/Scotland 4%
Baltic 1%
E Europe/Russian 1%

I think the two companies probably use different reference groups, they certainly have different categories. Different companies give me different percentages, but both of these results still roughly fit my paper trail. I have one great grandfather who was a German Jew born in Anklam, which is a tiny town in northern Germany, not far from the Baltic Sea. His father was born in what was then Jastrow, now in Poland, so I suspect that's where the Baltic, the North Slavic, and the E Europe Russia come from. The Finnish isn't a surprise either, as I have both Swedish and Norwegian great grandparents, although I haven't found any Finns in my tree yet. Not sure about the Ireland/Scotland, only oral family history hints at those.

mildlycurly
01-18-2019, 02:08 PM
Personally, I feel that DNA.Land is very accurate. It closely matches my GEDmatch (Eurogenes K13 and others) and I think it's so different from Ancestry DNA results because it goes back much farther. I believe it goes back farther than a paper trail ever could.

Having tested with DNA Land with both 23andme and Ancestry data, I do find it extremely accurate to my GEDmatch reports. Using both, I have a rough basic estimation of my ancestry.

matty74
02-02-2019, 07:38 PM
My DNA Land results seem to be more broad and not as detailed as my ancestry.com results. I think itís pretty true that Iím broadly of NW European descent but the 11% Finnish part was interesting. Iím not sure where that comes from. Iíve matched up with Finns on MyHeritage.com though, but no idea where. Given my verifiable ancestry, Iím not sure where the Balkan comes from either. Iíve got nearly 800 matches from Norway alone. I also seem to have more DNA matches with the Netherlands than Germany!

DNA Land
100% West Eurasian
77% Northwest European
11% Finnish/northeastern European
10% Balkan
1.9% Southwestern European

Ancestry.com
100% European
46% Norway
Western Norway (Hordaland/Rogaland)
25% England, Wales & Northwestern Europe
14% Germanic Europe
8% Ireland & Scotland
7% Sweden

MyHeritage.com
Europe 100%
North and West Europe 100%
Scandinavian 85.7%
North & West European 14.3%

Known Ancestry locations within 3 generations (Great and Great Great Grandparents):

Paternal Ancestry:
Denmark (South and North Jutland)
Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (NE of Wismar)
Hannover (Uelzen & Suderburg)

Distant: Quebec, Rhineland and English

Known Maternal Ancestry locations within 2-3 Generations (Great Grandparents):
Norway (Stavanger, Madla, Vats & Vikedal)
Ostfriesland, Germany (Emden, Leer, Aurich, Esens)
Hannover, Germany

Some distant Irish and English. Unknown locations.