PDA

View Full Version : GWAS Meta-Analysis of Neuroticism (N=449,484) Identifies Novel Genetic Loci and Pathw

paoloferrari
09-06-2017, 07:10 AM
GWAS Meta-Analysis of Neuroticism (N=449,484) Identifies Novel Genetic Loci and Pathways

http://www.biorxiv.org/content/early/2017/09/05/184820

"Abstract

Neuroticism is an important risk factor for psychiatric traits including depression, anxiety, and schizophrenia. Previous genome-wide association studies (GWAS) reported 16 genomic loci. Here we report the largest neuroticism GWAS meta-analysis to date (N=449,484), and identify 136 independent genome-wide significant loci (124 novel), implicating 599 genes. Extensive functional follow-up analyses show enrichment in several brain regions and involvement of specific cell-types, including dopaminergic neuroblasts (P=3E-8), medium spiny neurons (P=4E-8) and serotonergic neurons (P=1E-7). Gene-set analyses implicate three specific pathways: neurogenesis (P=4.4E-9), behavioural response to cocaine processes (P=1.84E-7), and axon part (P=5.26E-8). We show that neuroticism's genetic signal partly originates in two genetically distinguishable subclusters (depressed affect and worry, the former being genetically strongly related to depression, rg=0.84), suggesting distinct causal mechanisms for subtypes of individuals. These results vastly enhance our neurobiological understanding of neuroticism, and provide specific leads for functional follow-up experiments."

firemonkey
09-06-2017, 12:11 PM
On a slight tangent I am sceptical of Dna land and Geneplaza's neuroticism tools which are based on snp markers. Both assess me as having a low propensity for neuroticism. In fact I have moderate to severe anxiety ,and have experienced several bouts of depression.

Amerijoe
09-06-2017, 03:17 PM
On a slight tangent I am sceptical of Dna land and Geneplaza's neuroticism tools which are based on snp markers. Both assess me as having a low propensity for neuroticism. In fact I have moderate to severe anxiety ,and have experienced several bouts of depression.

Since I've been classified as having a high propensity for neuroticism, here is the related information.
Thankfully the chart indicated I'm only half neurotic.
Here are the corresponding snps indicating the neuroticism.

Experts believe some of our genes have the propensity for neuroticism. I feel environment and family dynamics can also be a contributing factor.

Saetro
09-06-2017, 11:53 PM
Experts believe some of our genes have the propensity for neuroticism. I feel environment and family dynamics can also be a contributing factor.

Oliver James - Not in your Genes, 2016 - is very strong on familial factors.
To him, the benefit is that he can help affected individuals with clinical therapy.

This GWAS study by Nagel et al has lots of people in it, which is way better than some other studies and strengthens their findings.
Maybe some will ask how good the online questionnaire was at assessing neuroticism.
Let's assume it was OK.
The markers they found will link to genes that might lead to drugs that can help people.
But genes have other genes that control them.
And family and environment affect that.

There is a danger that some people think that a genetic inheritance is a predestination, a sentence; just as people used to think that their birth horoscope determined the rest of their lives.
Multiple influences mean that things are not inevitable, and that there are multiple ways of improving the situation if something does go wrong.