PDA

View Full Version : J1c5c1 : Basque specfic haplogroup ?

sanfo44
09-07-2017, 07:03 PM
Hello everyone,
I just received my results from my DNA MT test. I am J1c5C1. In doing research I discovered that it would be a haplogroupe specific to the Basques.
It seems coherent because my maternal lineage is native to the Aragonese Pyrenees, near Navarre.
On this sector a considerable number of Aragonese have Basque origins.
But is this specificity confirmed by the scientific world?
Thank you in advance for your contributions.
NB: Sorry, excuse my English I am French.
GS

Agamemnon
09-07-2017, 08:18 PM
According to this study (http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0067835), J1c5c1 accounts for about 2% of the Basque mtDNA pool:

"J1c5c1 showed a frequency of 2% among Basque subpopulations and accounted for 1.7% of the total mtDNA variation for the whole region. This lineage reached its maximum frequency in northern Navarre and accounted for 3.4% of the total variation."

IMO the authors are wrong to assert that J1c5c1 is autochtonous to the Franco-Cantabrian region and that it arose in the Franco-Cantabrian refuge, it's quite clear most of the J1c clades arrived in Europe with the first farmers from Anatolia. Taking the above into account, J1c5c1 could still be described as a specifically Basque subclade of J1c5.

sanfo44
09-08-2017, 06:19 PM
Good evening everyone,
Thank you for this post in reply to my post.
Indeed, my ancestors were originally from Aragon mainly but I have lines in North-Navarre precisely Valley of Roncal.
It may be that my maternal lineage comes from Navarre, even from Gipuzkoa.
GS