PDA

View Full Version : Mixed marriages Kurds - S Asians

Kurd
09-10-2017, 12:47 AM
It seems that marriages between Kurds and S Asians are increasing. I personally know a couple of Kurds that married S Asians. The male is usually Kurd.

This one is Kurd- Afghan. It is hard to tell who the Kurd is and who the Afghan till the middle of the video when it becomes clear Beards are returning to Kurdistan :)

Personally, I like traditional ones more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTN8xxoCeEE

Magnetic
09-10-2017, 01:01 AM
when we outmarry it is usually not south asians . in fact since there is a decent kurdish diaspora in europe especially central europe it is more common for a kurd to marry a german than a south asian for example . I have part german relatives myself . also kurdish-turkish marriages are not uncommon too . but south asian is actually not common at all

Kurd
09-10-2017, 02:16 AM
I don't doubt that since you are in Germany you have seen Kurd-German marriages. I'm just speaking from my personal experience based on interacting with my Iraqi Kurdish relatives on my dad's side, visiting Relatives and friends in Kurdistan, and interacting with the Kurdish community in the US. There are 3 Iraqi Kurds I personally know married to Punjabis, yet inspite of being in the US amongst Americans, I know of only 1 married to an American.

I can't cite any metrics because I don't think any exist, so it is just based on what I've seen. Also, I remember when I used to visit Iraqi Kurdistan when I was a kid, I remember the Kurds there used to watch Hindi movies.

Magnetic
09-10-2017, 02:22 AM
hmm maybe it is different among iraqi kurds I dont know that but I can tell you that kurds from turkey dont marry south asians in general and dont watch hindi movies either haha xD south asians are actually seen as an exotic and foreign peoples

btw. there is a big roma population in iraqi kurdistan . that might explain some things too

would be interesting to get some opinions of iraqi kurdish members

surbakhunWeesste
09-10-2017, 02:41 AM
It seems that marriages between Kurds and S Asians are increasing. I personally know a couple of Kurds that married S Asians. The male is usually Kurd.

This one is Kurd- Afghan. It is hard to tell who the Kurd is and who the Afghan till the middle of the video when it becomes clear Beards are returning to Kurdistan :)

Chivas Regal. Bwahahahahha I almost choked...didn't complete the video, thanks for the share.

Kurd
09-10-2017, 02:45 AM
Kurd-Pakistani

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Oh1xfbjhQ

Kurd
09-10-2017, 02:49 AM
Traditional Kurd-Kurd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_2hp1kiwHs

MonkeyDLuffy
09-10-2017, 02:57 AM
After living in toronto for good amount of time I'm not surprised to see this happening. Have seen all kind of combinations there (Parsi/Turkish, Turkish/Chillean, Punjabi/Irani, Afghan/Malayali, Labenese/Chinese etc etc). World is getting smaller, so they are becoming common and common, especially in heavy multicultural places like Toronto and Cali.

Sapporo
09-11-2017, 08:26 AM
After living in toronto for good amount of time I'm not surprised to see this happening. Have seen all kind of combinations there (Parsi/Turkish, Turkish/Chillean, Punjabi/Irani, Afghan/Malayali, Labenese/Chinese etc etc). World is getting smaller, so they are becoming common and common, especially in heavy multicultural places like Toronto and Cali.

Definitely more common in extremely diverse multicultural cities like Toronto, Vancouver, NYC, San Francisco, LA, etc. I don't think most of Europe has that diverse of immigrant populations compared to the US and/or Canada. Only parts of the UK like London, Manchester, etc. France, Germany, Italy and other Euro countries have immigrant populations which tend to be heavily concentrated from certain regions of the world. For example, France in particular with former North African & West African colonies or Germany with Turks after signing the labor recruitment agreement with Turkey in the 60's.

Nice videos by the way, Kurd. Still can't get over the Chivas close up in the first video you posted. :rofl:

wgjkkwjkf
09-11-2017, 10:17 PM

brother, have you seen any Afghan or Kurd or Turkish women married to Hindu men in Toronto, and were the men from North India or South India?

MonkeyDLuffy
09-11-2017, 11:07 PM
brother, have you seen any Afghan or Kurd or Turkish women married to Hindu men in Toronto, and were the men from North India or South India?

I have seen a Punjabi Sikh guy and Parsi girl married. And a Tehrani girl married to South Indian hindu

bored
09-11-2017, 11:54 PM

Interesting video. They both could pass for each other's ethnicity. Hard to tell the difference based on appearance.

bored
09-11-2017, 11:58 PM
I don't doubt that since you are in Germany you have seen Kurd-German marriages. I'm just speaking from my personal experience based on interacting with my Iraqi Kurdish relatives on my dad's side, visiting Relatives and friends in Kurdistan, and interacting with the Kurdish community in the US. There are 3 Iraqi Kurds I personally know married to Punjabis, yet inspite of being in the US amongst Americans, I know of only 1 married to an American.

I can't cite any metrics because I don't think any exist, so it is just based on what I've seen. Also, I remember when I used to visit Iraqi Kurdistan when I was a kid, I remember the Kurds there used to watch Hindi movies.

I had a Persian friend in high school. She loved Hindi movies and music.

Gandhara
09-12-2017, 10:15 AM
man can marry a man why cannot a kurd marry a non kurd like south Asian or Chinese etc.? Inter marriages are very common.

DMXX
09-15-2017, 12:59 PM
Let's try and derive some interesting discussions from this topic, as I imagine Kurd had intended.

Should we be surprised by Kurdish-South Asian marriages? Are there any specific cultural traits shared between them that would make such a union more likely?

From my perspective, it isn't too surprising in an urban multi-ethnic setting. I daresay most Kurds and South Asian groups would marry within themselves given the strength of in-group preference. Of course, that is true for practically all world populations (like tends to bond with like).

In cosmopolitan environments where sufficient numbers of an ethnic group don't exist, it should be expected for the majority of such individuals to naturally pair with what they deem to be "closest" on a cultural level (for instance, a Kurdish gentleman and a Punjabi lady in a remote Finnish village, where they're among a handful of non-Finns). We have to assume phenotype plays a role in the selection process among many (but not all).

On the topic of affinities towards the Subcontinent, Bollywood and Indian culture became very popular among Iranians from the 60's onwards (I don't know whether that phenomenon has persisted beyond the 90's). I believe my maternal aunt even traveled to India and became fluent in Hindi.

I don't know the extent to which Kurds from Iraq or Turkey shared that enthusiasm for the Subcontinent, but again, wouldn't be too surprised if it did. Call it a "West Iranic-syncing".

Lupus82
09-15-2017, 03:54 PM
I don't know the extent to which Kurds from Iraq or Turkey shared that enthusiasm for the Subcontinent, but again, wouldn't be too surprised if it did. Call it a "West Iranic-syncing".

Hi,

I am Kurd from Turkey. South Asian culture is not known in Turkey, neither among the Kurds nor the Turks. People tend to associate the South Asian culture with fancy Bollywood style dances and spicey food.
It might be different among the Kurdish emigrants abroad.

MonkeyDLuffy
09-15-2017, 05:04 PM
Hi,

I am Kurd from Turkey. South Asian culture is not known in Turkey, neither among the Kurds nor the Turks. People tend to associate the South Asian culture with fancy Bollywood style dances and spicey food.
It might be different among the Kurdish emigrants abroad.

Yeah I've read Turkish people tend to like Pakistanis over Indians. Keep in mind for world SA culture means Indian/bollywood culture in general. Seeing how high we have Iranian students population in India, it's probably more popular in Iran.

Lupus82
09-15-2017, 05:52 PM
Yeah I've read Turkish people tend to like Pakistanis over Indians. Keep in mind for world SA culture means Indian/bollywood culture in general. Seeing how high we have Iranian students population in India, it's probably more popular in Iran.

I have heard so... The cultural contact between the South Asian countries and Iran is higher whereas it is limited in Turkey.
Turkey and Pakistan have amicable relations for both are Muslims. India is not known. There are not any Indian immigrants around these parts of the world. Hence, it is a "remote" country to us.

Kurd
09-15-2017, 07:38 PM
This article by Kamal Chomani (Iraqi Kurd) in the Kurdistan Tribune pretty much sums up the sentiments of the Iraqi Kurds I know (friends and relatives) with regards to Indians and Indian culture.

https://kurdistantribune.com/kurdistan-forgotten-nation-of-million-people/

https://i.imgur.com/JULWoh0.png

I have been living in Bangalore, India for about 13 months. I am here to study Masters. India to me, as it is, is incredible. I feel as if I am at home. People here are friendly. My teachers and colleagues are just great.

I am from Iraq, but Iraq is not my country. I cannot speak Arabic which is the official language of the country. Luckily three more Iraqi people are with me who have helped me to manage my Arabic. My culture is different from Arabs. I don’t want to look like a nationalist, because I am telling the truth. I am a Kurd! My mother tongue is Kurdish. My homeland is Kurdistan.

This is consistent with what I have seen and experienced when visiting Iraqi Kurdistan:

What links Kurds and Indians?

There are some connections between Kurds and Indians. Perhaps there are older connections. There are many words in common between the Kurdish language and Hindi. I think, this is the main reason Kurds love Indian movies, culture and films.
Recently, a very close friend of mine, called me to say that I had to send him back a beautiful Indian Sari for his fiancée. I went to the market and bought two kinds of Indian clothes. She wore them in the most famous Kurdish festival, Newroz. I later realized she has been influenced by Indian movies and film stars.
When I was a young boy, my cousin had a video. He used to invite us every night for an Indian film. He had all kinds of Indian films. I still remember those days when we used to gather calmly to watch an Indian film. Now, Bollywood films are widely watched in Kurdistan. Some Indian TV stations are available in Kurdistan that people watch; apart from that, in the film stores, anyone can find Indian movies.
I was recently met a Kurdish student here in Bangalore who studies pharmacy. I was really amazed by the huge information he has about Bollywood stars. Later, another friend told me that this student even can speak some Hindi and his love to India is the reason he has come to India to study.

Nowadays, India is a destination for Kurdish students to study masters and bachelor degrees. It can be estimated that there are more than 500 Kurdish students here. They are spread all over India. The cities that Kurds are studying in are Pune, Bangalore, Delhi, AurangAbad, Allah Abad, and Heyderabad. In Bangalore, Kurdish students are about 80 in number.

Kurdish people love Indians. Indian films are widely watched in Kurdistan. I was told that one of my neighbors in my hometown can speak Hindi now since she has been addicted to Indian that this student even can speak some Hindi and his love to India is the reason he has come to India to study.

Nowadays, India is a destination for Kurdish students to study masters and bachelor degrees. It can be estimated that there are more than 500 Kurdish students here. They are spread all over India. The cities that Kurds are studying in are Pune, Bangalore, Delhi, AurangAbad, Allah Abad, and Heyderabad. In Bangalore, Kurdish students are about 80 in number.

Kurdish people love Indians. Indian films are widely watched in Kurdistan. I was told that one of my neighbors in my hometown can speak Hindi now since she has been addicted to Indian

Kamal Chomani is a Kurdish journalist currently studying Masters in English Literature in India. He can be reached at: [email protected]

wgjkkwjkf
09-17-2017, 08:20 AM

Turkish people tend to be quite friendly with everyone. I knew several Turkish people and they were no less friendly with Indians than Pakistanis. Reason Pakistanis are well thought of in Turkey is that it has been propagated that Pakistanis supported Turks during world war 1 and Turkey's Independence War, though I think it was Indian Muslims generally who supported Turkey not just those from Pakistan.

surbakhunWeesste
09-19-2017, 01:48 AM
Turkish people tend to be quite friendly with everyone. I knew several Turkish people and they were no less friendly with Indians than Pakistanis. Reason Pakistanis are well thought of in Turkey is that it has been propagated that Pakistanis supported Turks during world war 1 and Turkey's Independence War, though I think it was Indian Muslims generally who supported Turkey not just those from Pakistan.

Pakistan existed then?

The reason for Turkey's love for Pakistan and vice-versa is definitely political. I can make an argument that the residents mostly feed on the information provided to them by the government as well(which tells them to love each other(?). Anyway, I am happy for the brotherhood/sisterhood between Turkey and Pakistan.

surbakhunWeesste
09-19-2017, 01:56 AM
man can marry a man why cannot a kurd marry a non kurd like south Asian or Chinese etc.? Inter marriages are very common.

Because people have certain beliefs!!!

Gandhara
09-19-2017, 03:48 AM
Because people have certain beliefs!!!

sorry I don't get it. I am talking about relationships/marriages and not religion.

surbakhunWeesste
09-19-2017, 10:33 PM
sorry I don't get it. I am talking about relationships/marriages and not religion.

Are beliefs only indoctrinated via religion? Hope it answers your confusion.

Binks
10-01-2017, 05:45 PM
I met a Pakistani lady who was married to an Iraqi Kurd in one of my classes a few years ago. She said she really regretted marrying him because of the cultural differences and advised me to stay away from Kurdish men. :P

Kurd
10-01-2017, 06:44 PM
I met a Pakistani lady who was married to an Iraqi Kurd in one of my classes a few years ago. She said she really regretted marrying him because of the cultural differences and advised me to stay away from Kurdish men. :P

Interesting that she told you this....I have a somewhat unique perspective on this since I have been intimately familiar with both "cultures" all my life being that I spent my childhood in Pakistan while at the same time exposed to Kurdi culture (my paternal grandpa was Iraqi Kurd) with frequent visits to Iraqi Kurdistan, and watching interactions between Kurd husbands and Pakistani wives. Honestly, there is almost 0 cultural difference, even though there seems to be this perception among some Lahori women that Kurd men are very tribal and "strict" like Baloch or Pashtun men. Also, now the vast majority of Kurds only have 1 wife.

I believe the difficulties between your friend's husband and her are more of personal incompatibilities and expectations and possibly language differences and likes and dislikes, rather than cultural differences. Actually language differences can sometimes be more problematic than you think.

Edit: Since both Kurd and Pakistani are male dominated societies, another problem may simply be the difficulty to adjusting to western country rules and laws by her husband.