PDA

View Full Version : Mothers myheritage results vs. my myheritage results

Sergi
09-14-2017, 04:21 PM
Ok, so there is knowledge of the following ethnicities in my maternal family tree:
- West-African or Afro-Surinamese ancestors (descendants of African slaves in the West-Indies
- Pakistani contract worker ancestor from British India
- Sephardic Jewish planter ancestor and possibly also another Jewish ancestor (elders in the family are not entirely sure if this one was Ashkenazi or Sephardi)
- around 8 generations ago a partially English mulatto female ancestor

These are my and my mothers results compared to one another

I already know my middle-eastern results are due to the Jewish ancestors, but how do I interpret my mothers results? How do they match with the family history knowledge? I was thinking that maybe the Italian and North-African are due to the Jewish ancestors, but I'm not sure. Am I thinking in the right direction?

Thanks

ffoucart
09-14-2017, 05:17 PM
I don't understand the links you made.

It's pretty obvious that your Middle Eastern Ancestry is not from your mother's side, since she has none. And most of your English/Irish is from your father side, given she has only a small 2,6%.

Her results are clear: 3/4 SSA and 1/4 South Asian, with only limited admixture, but at a noise level. Which is consistent with your papertrack. I suppose that her European ancestry is very remote (7/8 generations ago) so extremely diluted.

I don't think that you'll have many results by using an ethnicity calculator. You should try to triangulate your common segments with your relatives. It would be more usefull.

Good luck.

Sergi
09-14-2017, 06:26 PM
I don't understand the links you made.

It's pretty obvious that your Middle Eastern Ancestry is not from your mother's side, since she has none. And most of your English/Irish is from your father side, given she has only a small 2,6%.

Her results are clear: 3/4 SSA and 1/4 South Asian, with only limited admixture, but at a noise level. Which is consistent with your papertrack. I suppose that her European ancestry is very remote (7/8 generations ago) so extremely diluted.

I don't think that you'll have many results by using an ethnicity calculator. You should try to triangulate your common segments with your relatives. It would be more usefull.

Good luck.

I tried to connect my mothers results to my results with the lines. Nothing more, nothing less.

Middle-Eastern and North-African can't be mistaken with one another? Cause I'm sure I've read something like that somewhere. Just like how Italian can be mistaken with Ashkenazi Jewish and vice versa, due to the genetich resemblance (when it comes to low percentages). There must be some middle-eastern on my fathers side yes, since it should be way lower if it's from my mother alone. I'm with you with that one.

Triangulate my common segments to my relatives? At Gedmatch you mean? I already did that with my DNA. Just uploaded my mothers raw data.