PDA

View Full Version : Missing Punjabi Component in Admixture /ancestry composition -Gencove

Gandhara
09-17-2017, 12:03 PM
Punjabies constitute one of the biggest ethnic group of south asia with an estimated population of over 100 million. The admixture calculators/ancestry reports do not cover this group and smaller populations are given weightage more than their share in the demography of the region for instance Baloch, Sindi and burshu etc. What can be a rationale behind this?

Sharing my Gencov report with you and I am an ethnic Punjabi.

https://i.gyazo.com/62cec4a941a3ac8818ea2e9311c6efc5.png

Now If you further dissect the Central South Asian component, you will see that central south Asian reference populations include :Baloch, Pathan, Sindhi, Makarani, brushu, Gujarati and Brahui. My question is where is the Punjabi component located and how come all the punjabies like me never get identified as Punjabies?

https://i.gyazo.com/0db16a28146f24befc1d1de436ad5ae9.png

Point to be noted is that the above listed ethnicities are minorities in central india and they do not collectively amount together half of the Punjabi population. Does not make any sense to me at all as to why punjabies are never covered as an entity.

Can the experts like our Famous Mr. Kurd shed some light on my admissible question?

Kurd
09-17-2017, 01:59 PM
Punjabies constitute one of the biggest ethnic group of south asia with an estimated population of over 100 million.

Can the experts like our Famous Mr. Kurd shed some light on my admissible question?

My guess is that because there's hardly any Punjabi samples in the DNA databases (except PJL) such as Human Origins, 1000 Genomes, Estonian Biocentre, Simons Diversity project, etc.

As to why they didn't get sampled by those studies, perhaps they thought Punjabis are too mixed

Gandhara
09-17-2017, 03:46 PM
My guess is that because there's hardly any Punjabi samples in the DNA databases (except PJL) such as Human Origins, 1000 Genomes, Estonian Biocentre, Simons Diversity project, etc.

As to why they didn't get sampled by those studies, perhaps they thought Punjabis are too mixed

or these testing companies and admixture programmers are not very familiar with the ethnic breakdown of the region and go for the rare ethnicities like brusho? how many brushos we have in India/Pakistan? less than 300,000 , same goes for Makranies and brohies. Nobody knows in Pakistan and India that these isolated ethnicities even exist.:) Jungle which mor nachiya kinnay wekhiya? Sir jee punjabiaan nal ziadti band honichaydee werna esi daang sota lay kay pori genealogical community nu upside down kerdena hay. Ahoooo..

Kurd
09-17-2017, 06:32 PM
or these testing companies and admixture programmers are not very familiar with the ethnic breakdown of the region and go for the rare ethnicities like brusho? how many brushos we have in India/Pakistan? less than 300,000 , same goes for Makranies and brohies. Nobody knows in Pakistan and India that these isolated ethnicities even exist.:) Jungle which mor nachiya kinnay wekhiya? Sir jee punjabiaan nal ziadti band honichaydee werna esi daang sota lay kay pori genealogical community nu upside down kerdena hay. Ahoooo..

Thik e, mor junglan vich nachdiyan nain vekhya, par naale ziyadti vi kise valon bardaasht karendyan nain vekhiya Punjaabiyan ko ... Jadon tain jag vich tede varge Punjabi ghabroo hovan, te majaal kis di.... :)

Gandhara
09-17-2017, 06:55 PM
Thik e, mor junglan vich nachdiyan nain vekhya, par naale ziyadti vi kise valon bardaasht karendyan nain vekhiya Punjaabiyan ko ... Jadon tain jag vich tede varge Punjabi ghabroo hovan, te majaal kis di.... :)
:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oScuxx2j04k

Kurd
09-17-2017, 07:14 PM
:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oScuxx2j04k

gal vich taveetri, hath vich gandaasa.....

MonkeyDLuffy
09-18-2017, 02:05 PM
This thread took an interesting turn lmao

Sapporo
09-19-2017, 09:22 AM
There are no well organized and at least somewhat homogeneous academic reference samples for Punjabis other than the Xing Punjabi-Arain and it doesn't seem most DNA testing companies have access to them or even considered using them. While the PJL Punjabi Lahores have an abundance of samples, they are far too heterogeneous in admixture proportions to use as samples. If they were organized/labeled by caste and/or biraderi, they would be more useful. Even then, I'm not sure 23andMe, FTDNA, AncestryDNA, etc. have access to them or even wish to use them to create admixture components for their calculators. For that reason, the HGDP Pakistani (Pakhtuns, Burusho, Kalash, Sindhis and Baloch/Brahui/Makrani) are as close as we can get.

I'd imagine Indian Punjab would be easier to use for sample populations for Jatts, Brahmins, Khatris, Tarkhans, Rajputs, etc. but not sure why they haven't been sampled for their autosomal DNA yet. It might be government access related.

On a separate note, I'm positive that Zack has access to 20+ Sikh Jatt Punjabi samples at Harappa by now (from all the individuals I encouraged to join) but he hasn't updated or done anything with his project in years. When you've reached a participant sample base of 20+ individual and unrelated people, that's pretty close to an academic sample size. I'm sure there are also other Kashmiri Pandits, Punjabi Khatris (Sikh & Hindu), etc. that have sent their raw DNA to Zack (due to my encouragement) but again, he hasn't updated his project in years.

MonkeyDLuffy
09-19-2017, 01:42 PM
Punjabi people are too mixed to be turned into one component. The castes/biradaris create a huge genetic diversity. Even among individuals of same caste can have different admixture.

bored
09-19-2017, 04:01 PM
Maybe scientists see Punjabies as a very mixed heterogenous people. This was confirmed with the PJL samples.