PDA

View Full Version : Insitome

rdegnen
09-20-2017, 06:39 AM
What are the opinions about this new company?... https://insito.me

kostoffj
09-20-2017, 01:25 PM
isn't that who Razib Khan works for? They don't seem to offer much though.

J1 DYS388=13
09-20-2017, 03:40 PM
Looks interesting, but it's for sale to US customers only.

Salento
09-20-2017, 06:19 PM
Spencer Wells is a Board Member.

Insitome
09-27-2017, 08:23 PM
This is Spencer Wells - thanks for your interest in Insitome! I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the company or our products.

Re: roles, I'm the Founder and CEO, and Razib Khan is our Director of Scientific Content. More details are on our website.

We've got some cool products coming out over the next few months, as well as other content - including blogs and a podcast. Looking forward to sharing it.

Spencer

rdegnen
11-24-2017, 07:16 PM
A new product offer by Insitome, Regional Ancestry... https://www.helix.com/shop/insitome-regional-ancestry/?utm_campaign=insitome-regional-ancestry&utm_content=cyber-sale&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Arnaud Bzh
11-25-2017, 12:00 AM
Only 20 dollards for an ancestry test? Look strange! The product is avalaible in France too?

timberwolf
11-25-2017, 12:13 AM
Only available to customers in the US.

deadly77
12-06-2017, 05:48 AM
This is Spencer Wells - thanks for your interest in Insitome! I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the company or our products.

Re: roles, I'm the Founder and CEO, and Razib Khan is our Director of Scientific Content. More details are on our website.

We've got some cool products coming out over the next few months, as well as other content - including blogs and a podcast. Looking forward to sharing it.

Spencer

Can you please comment on what the regional ancestry categories are? Specifically for European - is it just one category for Europe or is it broken down further?

Insitome
12-06-2017, 09:01 PM
Sure - happy to answer that. We report on the following European regions:

Western European
Northern European
Finnish
Eastern European
Balkan
Iberian
Basque
Sardinian
North Mediterranean
Ashkenazi

Plus, we have much better coverage in non-European regions than most of our competitors (i.e. we'll never just tell you that you're "East Asian").

Hope this helps!

Spencer Wells

Little bit
12-09-2017, 02:37 AM
Did anyone get the Neanderthal Insitome test? My results came in and I'm looking to compare with others. In general, I got 1.8% Neanderthal (23andme gave me 284 variants, or 2.5% on the old version.) 3 out of 10 traits (23andme said no traits) pigmentation, learning (I have to admit, I feel conflicted about having the Neanderthal version for that,) and interpreting immune signals. Are these common, rare, and how specifically are they impacting me? I feel like there needs to be more fleshing out of the report for context and I'd love to see more than 10 traits.

Also, do we know what is coming soon? Not interested much in metabolism since I don't feel like I need a DNA test for that but I really did this test in hopes that some of the more interesting genetic mutations would be offered than the current snp tests offer.

timberwolf
12-09-2017, 08:52 PM

Spencer

When may this become available to non US customers?

timberwolf
12-09-2017, 09:49 PM

Western European
Northern European
Finnish
Eastern European
Balkan
Iberian
Basque
Sardinian
North Mediterranean
Ashkenazi

Plus, we have much better coverage in non-European regions than most of our competitors (i.e. we'll never just tell you that you're "East Asian").

Hope this helps!

Spencer Wells

Also will there every be the opportunity to upload data from other companies?

Insitome
12-18-2017, 06:06 PM
Happy holidays! Just wanted to let you know that our first podcast is now available on iTunes and Stitcher - I can't post links here for some reason, but search for "Insitome" on those platforms to find it. Many more being edited at the moment, on all aspects of population genetics, ancestry, archaeology and anthropology.

Best,

Spencer

lukaszM
12-20-2017, 10:50 AM
Only 20 dollards for an ancestry test? Look strange! The product is avalaible in France too?

But 80$ fin addition for HLEIX DNA Kit... So price like in other companies.

Insitome
12-20-2017, 02:26 PM
The kit is free through Dec 25th - it's a great deal, and once you're tested there's no need to ever do it again. We have many products in the pipeline for 2018, so this is the best way to "join the ecosystem" and see what we're working on. The price of the kit will go up again after the holiday sale.

Spencer

Dibran
12-20-2017, 02:39 PM

Western European
Northern European
Finnish
Eastern European
Balkan
Iberian
Basque
Sardinian
North Mediterranean
Ashkenazi

Hope this helps!

Spencer Wells

Are these European components(Balkan for example) broken up further? Additionally, does one need to take the helix dna test in order to do these additional tests?

greerpalmer
01-04-2018, 08:26 PM

Western European
Northern European
Finnish
Eastern European
Balkan
Iberian
Basque
Sardinian
North Mediterranean
Ashkenazi

Hope this helps!

Spencer Wells

Is there any literature on your reference database and where (what countries) the samples are from?

tomz
01-06-2018, 10:51 PM
Spencer, I took the Geno 2.0 test some time ago and found the results interesting. Now I have just taken the Insitome Regional ancestry test . Would I expect that the results to be be somewhat similar to those I received from the Geno 2.0 results? Also is the threshold for results 2% with this newer test, or are they able to break them down further?

nuplix
01-06-2018, 11:40 PM
I did send my sample this Friday for neanderthal and helix DNA kit. How long will it takes for the results to be announced?

deadly77
01-07-2018, 03:48 PM
Happy holidays! Just wanted to let you know that our first podcast is now available on iTunes and Stitcher - I can't post links here for some reason, but search for "Insitome" on those platforms to find it. Many more being edited at the moment, on all aspects of population genetics, ancestry, archaeology and anthropology.

Best,

Spencer

It's most likely that you can't post the link to the podcasts because you don't have enough posts yet. But I can link the itunes one here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-insight/id1324744423?mt=2

Capitalis
01-16-2018, 02:00 AM
I've listened to all the podcasts and enjoyed them a lot. :)

timberwolf
01-25-2018, 07:09 PM
Over on the 23andme forum, people are discussing their regional ancestry results.

timberwolf
02-06-2018, 08:01 PM
Has anyone received results from this company?

Robert1
02-07-2018, 03:30 PM
I did the Insitome Regional Ancestry last month when it was on sale to compare it with the other Helix ancestry test, Geno 2.0 NG.
Northwest Europe 95%
Finnish - 4%
Basque - 1%

And now it's interesting going back to my Insitome Regional Ancestry results after mulling over DNA Tribes a while. Like DNA Tribes and Geno 2.0, Insitome Regional Ancestry results are older than most ethnicity tests. And these three were the only tests that gave me Finnish (Insitome - 4%, DNA Tribes - 5.5% and Geno - 7%). Also, Insitome (1%) and DNA Tribes (1.3%) were the only ones to assign Basque to me.

While Insitome didn't break it down, 95% (should be 100%) Western Europe is pretty accurate when looking at the shaded area of their map. It's basically the British Isles and a narrow strip of the continent along the English Channel - not the larger NW Europe we normally think of.

timberwolf
02-07-2018, 08:34 PM
I did the Insitome Regional Ancestry last month when it was on sale to compare it with the other Helix ancestry test, Geno 2.0 NG.
Northwest Europe 95%
Finnish - 4%
Basque - 1%

And now it's interesting going back to my Insitome Regional Ancestry results after mulling over DNA Tribes a while. Like DNA Tribes and Geno 2.0, Insitome Regional Ancestry results are older than most ethnicity tests. And these three were the only tests that gave me Finnish (Insitome - 4%, DNA Tribes - 5.5% and Geno - 7%). Also, Insitome (1%) and DNA Tribes (1.3%) were the only ones to assign Basque to me.

While Insitome didn't break it down, 95% (should be 100%) Western Europe is pretty accurate when looking at the shaded area of their map. It's basically the British Isles and a narrow strip of the continent along the English Channel - not the larger NW Europe we normally think of.

Thanks.

What time period of ancestry, is this test mean't to represent?

Robert1
02-07-2018, 11:10 PM
Thanks.

What time period of ancestry, is this test mean't to represent?

They are vague just like Geno 2.0 which says 500 -10,000 years (counting Y-DNA and MTDNA). I'd say Insitome Regional Ancestry goes well beyond the 300-500 years of standard autosomal tests. Below I'll paste in a bit of what they say.

"Western European
A subregion of modern-day Europe
You are 95% Western European
Where
All along the English Channel and throughout the British Isles, one can find people of Western European descent. With countries like the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, and parts of the coast of France and Germany, the diversity of the land correlates with the diversity of the people and their cultures.

When
The Pleistocene hunter-gatherers of Europe developed their cultural histories after the decline of Neanderthals 40,000 years ago. Anthropologists named such ancient groups Aurignacian, Gravettian, Magdalenian, and Solutrean to name a few. Though we may not know what these people called themselves, we know where they lived and revere the great artistic works which they pioneered in the dark caves of Western Europe.

After the ice retreated 10,000 years ago, the lifestyle of the hunter-gatherers gave way to that of incoming farmers from the Middle East. By 6,500 years ago, farming had come to even the remote island we now know as Great Britain. Absorbing the local hunter-gatherer population, these migrant farmers overwhelmed the natives and reshaped the land.

About 5,000 years ago, the farmers of Western Europe began to construct great stone monuments. The earliest foundations of Stonehenge dates to this period. All across Western Europe, the emergence of such monuments indicates commonalities in their farming culture.

Who
The Western Europeans speak a host of different languages including Celtic, English, and French and Germanic dialects. These disparate elements often combine smoothly into one another because Western European peoples share common origins and connections which go back as far as 4,000 years.

Before these nations as we know them developed, the region consisted of tribes of people living along the shores of the Atlantic Ocean and the North Sea. From Saxons in Germany and England, Normans in England and France, and Franks in Germany and France, the creation of modern nation-states was a long process of separation and distinction between what had been a continuum for hundreds of years.

How
The age of the first farmers abruptly ends about 4,500 years ago in Britain with the arrival of a new Bronze Age culture from the mainland Europe. Culturally defined by a pottery style known as Bell Beakers, these people had origins in the eastern steppe of Ukraine and southern Russia, and likely were precursors to what eventually became the Celts. They conquered and absorbed the farmers of Central Europe, carrying their genetic trail into Ireland, Britain, and France. The majority of modern Western Europeans’ genetic heritage comes from these denizens of the Eurasian steppe.

The culture of these “Bell Beaker people” is reflected in the great Irish mythologies; dominated by cattle raids and semi-nomadic warriors. Even as the Bronze Age gave way to the Iron Age, the myths of antiquity were prevalent enough to come down to the present."

timberwolf
02-07-2018, 11:33 PM
They are vague just like Geno 2.0 which says 500 -10,000 years (counting Y-DNA and MTDNA). I'd say Insitome Regional Ancestry goes well beyond the 300-500 years of standard autosomal tests. Below I'll paste in a bit of what they say.

"Western European
A subregion of modern-day Europe
You are 95% Western European
Where
All along the English Channel and throughout the British Isles, one can find people of Western European descent. With countries like the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, and parts of the coast of France and Germany, the diversity of the land correlates with the diversity of the people and their cultures.

When
The Pleistocene hunter-gatherers of Europe developed their cultural histories after the decline of Neanderthals 40,000 years ago. Anthropologists named such ancient groups Aurignacian, Gravettian, Magdalenian, and Solutrean to name a few. Though we may not know what these people called themselves, we know where they lived and revere the great artistic works which they pioneered in the dark caves of Western Europe.

After the ice retreated 10,000 years ago, the lifestyle of the hunter-gatherers gave way to that of incoming farmers from the Middle East. By 6,500 years ago, farming had come to even the remote island we now know as Great Britain. Absorbing the local hunter-gatherer population, these migrant farmers overwhelmed the natives and reshaped the land.

About 5,000 years ago, the farmers of Western Europe began to construct great stone monuments. The earliest foundations of Stonehenge dates to this period. All across Western Europe, the emergence of such monuments indicates commonalities in their farming culture.

Who
The Western Europeans speak a host of different languages including Celtic, English, and French and Germanic dialects. These disparate elements often combine smoothly into one another because Western European peoples share common origins and connections which go back as far as 4,000 years.

Before these nations as we know them developed, the region consisted of tribes of people living along the shores of the Atlantic Ocean and the North Sea. From Saxons in Germany and England, Normans in England and France, and Franks in Germany and France, the creation of modern nation-states was a long process of separation and distinction between what had been a continuum for hundreds of years.

How
The age of the first farmers abruptly ends about 4,500 years ago in Britain with the arrival of a new Bronze Age culture from the mainland Europe. Culturally defined by a pottery style known as Bell Beakers, these people had origins in the eastern steppe of Ukraine and southern Russia, and likely were precursors to what eventually became the Celts. They conquered and absorbed the farmers of Central Europe, carrying their genetic trail into Ireland, Britain, and France. The majority of modern Western Europeans’ genetic heritage comes from these denizens of the Eurasian steppe.

The culture of these “Bell Beaker people” is reflected in the great Irish mythologies; dominated by cattle raids and semi-nomadic warriors. Even as the Bronze Age gave way to the Iron Age, the myths of antiquity were prevalent enough to come down to the present."

Thanks Robert1

Do you have descriptions of the other European regions?

Robert1
02-08-2018, 12:26 AM
Thanks Robert1

Do you have descriptions of the other European regions?

Timberwolf, here you go...

Your Ancestry
Over the past 100,000 years innumerable ancestral threads have come together to create the textured tapestry of your regional ancestry. Begin your journey!

Europe100%
Western European95%
Finnish4%
Basque1%
Ashkenazi0%
East European0%
North Mediterranean0%
Sardinian0%

Africa0%
Bantu0%
Central African0%
Khoisan0%
Nilotic0%
West African0%

America0%
Amazonian0%
Central South American0%
North American0%

Asia0%
Austronesian0%
Central Asian0%
Northeast Asian0%
Siberia0%
South Asian0%
Southeast Asian0%

Middle East, North Africa0%
Arabian0%
Caucasus0%
Levantine0%
Northwest African0%

Oceania0%
No sub-regions

timberwolf
02-08-2018, 12:32 AM
Timberwolf, here you go...

Your Ancestry
Over the past 100,000 years innumerable ancestral threads have come together to create the textured tapestry of your regional ancestry. Begin your journey!

Europe100%
Western European95%
Finnish4%
Basque1%
Ashkenazi0%
East European0%
North Mediterranean0%
Sardinian0%

Africa0%
Bantu0%
Central African0%
Khoisan0%
Nilotic0%
West African0%

America0%
Amazonian0%
Central South American0%
North American0%

Asia0%
Austronesian0%
Central Asian0%
Northeast Asian0%
Siberia0%
South Asian0%
Southeast Asian0%

Middle East, North Africa0%
Arabian0%
Caucasus0%
Levantine0%
Northwest African0%

Oceania0%
No sub-regions

Thanks

The European regions seem a bit limited, nothing really covering Spain for instance, or Scandinavia.

Robert1
02-08-2018, 12:51 AM
Thanks

The European regions seem a bit limited, nothing really covering Spain for instance, or Scandinavia.

Yeah, nothing like what DNA Tribes gives you. Basque is supposed to cover SW Europe/Iberia/West Mediterranean? And where is Central Europe? Same goes for other regions.

Hey, speaking of DNA Tribes, in that thread the other wolf guy (randwulf !) and the rest of us want some info from you! :behindsofa: :biggrin1:

timberwolf
02-08-2018, 12:59 AM
Yeah, nothing like what DNA Tribes gives you. Basque is supposed to cover SW Europe/Iberia/West Mediterranean? And where is Central Europe? Same goes for other regions.

Hey, speaking of DNA Tribes, in that thread the other wolf guy (randwulf !) and the rest of us want some info from you! :behindsofa: :biggrin1:

From me?

Can you link the thread? I will answer what I can.

Robert1
02-08-2018, 02:15 AM
Ah, good, you found it...

Marmaduke
02-11-2018, 02:49 PM
Does anyone know how Insitome compares to other firms' autosomal results? In my case, the results seem a bit odd. I have only two categories:

Western European: 94 percent
Finnish: 6 percent

So 100 percent European, which I get on nearly every test I've taken. But I have no known Finnish ancestors. All my ancestors are colonial American.

dillardo torres
02-12-2018, 05:48 PM
My results are pretty interesting.

73% Western European
10% Eastern European
8% Finnish
6% Sardinian
3% North Mediterranean

It's interesting to compare this to my Geno Helix results, which use the same exome chip.

43% Northwestern European
38% Southwestern European
12% Northeastern European
5.3% Eastern European

greerpalmer
02-13-2018, 05:47 AM
How long did the Helix test take to come through?

dillardo torres
02-13-2018, 04:44 PM
It took roughly six weeks to process. Once it's processed, getting the other services take like no time to analyze. So I had the Geno sample performed first. I ordered the insitome regional ancestry product, and that took only about an to twenty minutes to analyze (which makes since given that Helix keeps the analyzed DNA)

greerpalmer
03-19-2018, 05:10 PM
Thought I'd share my results compared to the major testing services.
Are they wrong? Probably not...
Do they give me a better understanding of "where" I'm from? No
https://anthrogenica.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22211&d=1521478902

Hurricane
12-04-2018, 09:00 PM
https://sd-1.archive-host.com/membres/up/1057594130/INSITOME/INSITOME1.png
https://sd-1.archive-host.com/membres/up/1057594130/INSITOME/INSITOME2.png
https://sd-1.archive-host.com/membres/up/1057594130/INSITOME/INSITOME3.png
https://sd-1.archive-host.com/membres/up/1057594130/INSITOME/INSITOME4.png

AbdoNumen
12-06-2018, 10:12 PM
Apparently Insitome analyze only 58k SNPs. I wonder if that's enough for rigorous analysis.

Bog Body
09-01-2019, 07:45 PM
I did Insitome's Regional Ancestry test back in January 2018. Every couple of months I check to see if they have refined their analysis but to no avail. I've contacted them several times to see if they will be updating their analysis or offering new products and get the same reply:

"Thank you for contacting Insitome! We will be upgrading features on a
rolling basis and you will be notified (at no extra charge)."

Wow! They will notify me at no extra charge. I was really excited when I purchased several of the analysis products, early last year, but with no updates in 18 months it appears they are done developing or refining their offerings.