PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry DNA Parent and Child Comparisons

sktibo
09-23-2017, 09:35 PM
I've just received my mother's results and now I have both parents plus myself so I am able to compare how well Ancestry DNA does in this regard. I hope that others who have their parents and themselves tested will also post their results here so we can examine this test in this way.

My Father:
Asia Central 2
Native American 2
Europe West 28
Great Britain 26
Ireland 19
Scandinavia 11
Iberia 5
Italy/Greece 3
Finland/NW Russia 2
European Jewish <1
Middle East <1

My Mother:
Europe East 38
Great Britain 31
Europe West 22
Ireland 7
Iberia 2
Scandinavia <1

Myself:
Great Britain 73
Ireland 6
Iberia 6
Europe East 4
Scandinavia 3
Europe West 2
Finland/NW Russia 2
Italy/Greece <1
Native American 2
Polynesia <1

The obvious problem is that my Great Britain percentage exceeds the combination of my parents (26+31=57, I'm 73)
My Europe East percentage is just about impossibly low given my mother's 38%.
My Europe West percentage is impossibly low: my parents add up to 50% Europe West and I was only assigned a trace of 2%.
I have a Polynesian percentage while my parents don't have any.

mwauthy
09-24-2017, 03:39 PM
I think your samples prove the point that it's really hard for these companies to differentiate between Great Britain and Europe West and that the scores might be interchangeable.

In regards to your Europe East it's quite possible that you simple inherited other genes from your mother than those specifically. Not likely but possible I suppose.

mwauthy
09-24-2017, 03:50 PM
Father: Belgian

Europe West 66%
Iberian Peninsula 10%
Ireland 6%
Scandinavia 5%
Italy/Greece 4%
Great Britain 4%
Europe East 1%
Caucuses 4%

Mother: French Canadian

Iberian Peninsula 32%
Great Britain 23%
Scandinavia 17%
Italy/Greece 15%
Ireland 9%
Europe East 4%

Myself:

Europe West 47%
Iberian Peninsula 25%
Scandinavia 13%
Great Britain 6%
Ireland 3%
Italy/Greece 3%
Europe East 2%
European Jewish <1%

Since my mother has zero Europe West and I have 47% it appears that practically all of the genes that I inherited from my father were Europe West genes. Not sure how likely that is but I guess it's possible.

ArmandoR1b
09-24-2017, 04:23 PM
I've just received my mother's results and now I have both parents plus myself so I am able to compare how well Ancestry DNA does in this regard. I hope that others who have their parents and themselves tested will also post their results here so we can examine this test in this way.

My Father:
Asia Central 2
Native American 2
Europe West 28
Great Britain 26
Ireland 19
Scandinavia 11
Iberia 5
Italy/Greece 3
Finland/NW Russia 2
European Jewish <1
Middle East <1

My Mother:
Europe East 38
Great Britain 31
Europe West 22
Ireland 7
Iberia 2
Scandinavia <1

Myself:
Great Britain 73
Ireland 6
Iberia 6
Europe East 4
Scandinavia 3
Europe West 2
Finland/NW Russia 2
Italy/Greece <1
Native American 2
Polynesia <1

The obvious problem is that my Great Britain percentage exceeds the combination of my parents (26+31=57, I'm 73)
My Europe East percentage is just about impossibly low given my mother's 38%.
My Europe West percentage is impossibly low: my parents add up to 50% Europe West and I was only assigned a trace of 2%.
I have a Polynesian percentage while my parents don't have any.

Yes, your Europe East is impossibly low compared to your mother. Which is evidence that AncestryDNA results are many times unreliable. 23andme v5 leaves a lot to be desired whereas v4 at least matched the paper trail more consistently in a general sense.

Did you ever test your mother with 23andme v4?

sktibo
09-24-2017, 05:32 PM
Yes, your Europe East is impossibly low compared to your mother. Which is evidence that AncestryDNA results are many times unreliable. 23andme v5 leaves a lot to be desired whereas v4 at least matched the paper trail more consistently in a general sense.

Did you ever test your mother with 23andme v4?

Unfortunately not. 23andme is 249 dollars CAD and there's no way I could convince my family to buy a test at that price, so I go with Ancestry as I can at least get FTDNA out of it as well.
At this point I'm just happy I got pre-imputation tests for both of my parents and I have their data on GEDmatch