PDA

View Full Version : Genetic Genealogy - verifying paper trail with DNA matches

A Norfolk L-M20
09-25-2017, 06:30 PM
I'm pleased to have today found a third cousin on AncestryDNA. That's my third match that correlates to a paper trail on both sides. My interests in DNA has been more centred around admixture and population genetics, or at least evidence pf pre-paper trail clues to my ancestry. However, I've started to encounter genuine genetic matches where we find a last common ancestor on paper. I'm aware that there is always possible that the shared segments did not originate as per known paper trail, but the chances are high that they do. To me, this is an interesting way of proving a biological validity that corresponds with the traditional genealogical research. It validates it pretty well back to any shared ancestors. Really pleased with how it's developing:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18995&d=1506364204

Coloured sections shared with matches that share paper ancestors.

C J Wyatt III
09-25-2017, 07:15 PM
At least you are finding something which most people can agree on. The DNA usually destroys paper with me. I recently found that a second great grand mother was adopted. The long time paper genealogist wife of a first cousin is ticked at me for undermining her work. The good news is that I should be able to help some matches with our family's previously unknown line find a common ancestor further back.

Jack

leonardo
09-25-2017, 07:51 PM
I'm pleased to have today found a third cousin on AncestryDNA. That's my third match that correlates to a paper trail on both sides. My interests in DNA has been more centred around admixture and population genetics, or at least evidence pf pre-paper trail clues to my ancestry. However, I've started to encounter genuine genetic matches where we find a last common ancestor on paper. I'm aware that there is always possible that the shared segments did not originate as per known paper trail, but the chances are high that they do. To me, this is an interesting way of proving a biological validity that corresponds with the traditional genealogical research. It validates it pretty well back to any shared ancestors. Really pleased with how it's developing:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18995&d=1506364204

Coloured sections shared with matches that share paper ancestors.

From the perspective of one with a hole in my family tree, the DNA matches work similarly to confirm. My PGF is unknown. When I received a possibly 3rd, but likely 4th cousin match with a woman and her son they were reluctant to share information. Now, a year or so later, I literally have another 3 - 4th cousin matches, and at least 6 more matches that are at a 5th cousin level - all of whom can be confirmed by a paper trial to a single ancestor. The combination has alllowed me to feel confident and has caused these matches to be more wiling to see me as a legitimate descendant of this individual.

Wing Genealogist
09-25-2017, 08:13 PM
I have been very lucky in confirming my paper trail with DNA matches. While I don't have any extremely close relatives tested (with the exception of my daughter), I do have one first cousin who has tested as well as a couple of first cousin once removed, second cousins, and especially third cousins and beyond. I have been able to verify All 8 of my great-grandparents with DNA matches, as well as all but two sets of 2 great-grandparents.

I have created a modified Ahnentafel (listing couples rather than individuals) documenting my DNA matches. Most of them are from Ancestry, while some are through 23andMe. I have also tested FTDNA Family Finder, but have not been able to connect any of my cousins there.

https://app.box.com/s/n90sci64oltku0joruteogff1wqugj6r