PDA

View Full Version : Genetic Diversity vs Typical Native

mwauthy
09-29-2017, 12:44 PM
Is Scandinavia really more genetically diverse than Italy/Greece? I don't understand how the typical Scandinavian native only receives around 60% Scandinavian yet the typical Italy/Greece native scores around 70% Italy/Greece.

Wouldn't Scandinavia's northern latitude make it less admixed and more homogeneous than a region situated in the Mediterranean?

Does the genetic diversity feature on Ancestry's website truly correlate to the heterogeneity of a region or perhaps is it a reflection of them improperly identifying the correct genetic markers of a populace?

geebee
09-29-2017, 04:31 PM
Is Scandinavia really more genetically diverse than Italy/Greece? I don't understand how the typical Scandinavian native only receives around 60% Scandinavian yet the typical Italy/Greece native scores around 70% Italy/Greece.

Wouldn't Scandinavia's northern latitude make it less admixed and more homogeneous than a region situated in the Mediterranean?

Does the genetic diversity feature on Ancestry's website truly correlate to the heterogeneity of a region or perhaps is it a reflection of them improperly identifying the correct genetic markers of a populace?

I'm not seeing the same numbers you are. I see 84%, not 60%, as the amount of "Scandinavian" in the typical native of the Sandinavian region.

You can also see a difference in the lows for the two regions. In the sample for "Italy/Greece" there was someone who had only 3% "Italy/Greece", but in the sample for "Scandinavia", the lowest "Scandinavian" anyone had was 25%.

mwauthy
09-29-2017, 06:09 PM
I'm not seeing the same numbers you are. I see 84%, not 60%, as the amount of "Scandinavian" in the typical native of the Sandinavian region.

You can also see a difference in the lows for the two regions. In the sample for "Italy/Greece" there was someone who had only 3% "Italy/Greece", but in the sample for "Scandinavia", the lowest "Scandinavian" anyone had was 25%.

You are correct. I was looking at the typical Native for Great Britain. My question still stands though. Does this mean that Great Britain has more genetic diversity than Italy/Greece even though Great Britain is more isolated from the rest of the world?

A Norfolk L-M20
09-29-2017, 06:16 PM
You are correct. I was looking at the typical Native for Great Britain. My question still stands though. Does this mean that Great Britain has more genetic diversity than Italy/Greece even though Great Britain is more isolated from the rest of the world?

Water doesn't always isolate people. South-east Britain has so much exchange and admixture from what is now France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, and Sweden - because using the medium of the North Sea and Channel, they could travel much further than if they were simply to move by foot. Equally, Western Britain has it's own long term relationship with Ireland, Brittany, and down as far as Portugal perhaps, because of the travel and trade that the sea permits.

So the British Isles (and more so Ireland) may be on the periphery, but they were far from isolated.

Finn
09-30-2017, 01:31 PM

I don't know if you can simply say that Scandinavia is more mixed than Italy.

When you take the three basic lines WHG, EEF, ANE/Steppe than is Greece/Italy more more (at least more than 2/3) EEF.

But when you take the Y-DNA haplotypes, Greece and Italy seems more divers!

See:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-d0K7nmzSQjA/TjCJSnEtZ8I/AAAAAAAAAEI/dDiMr4Y7mjM/s1600/Haplogroups+in+Europe%2C+pie+map.PNG