PDA

View Full Version : What's the main motivation to get sequenced for people under 35?

maria_gencove
09-29-2017, 04:13 PM
I'm trying to understand the motivation for the younger crowds. Is it Ancestry? Finding family? Health?

Robert1
09-29-2017, 05:04 PM
I think the price is low enough today that anyone, including younger people, is tempted to test, especially when a sale is advertised. The word is out this is fun if only for conversation at the water cooler. It's certainly advertised enough on prime time TV, too. It's all over Facebook as well. People test when their friends test. People tell their friends about sales.

Pylsteen
09-29-2017, 05:11 PM
Just pure about my ancestry and my place on the human tree; it is a logical extension of my genealogical research, which I started as a child, not strange, since both my parents practised it, and of my interest in the prehistory; I think it is all about curiosity; some may have this all their life, others start to wonder when they become old.

Dorsetshireman
10-04-2017, 10:57 AM
Interest in both genealogy, and genetics in general (I'm a biologist by training). Sad as it may sound, I've been interested for years to learn my Y-chromosome and mitochondrial haplogroups, and am still interested in digging further into the Y at some point in the future :-D

Oleg (Rus)
10-04-2017, 11:09 AM
Hello! I haven't done any NGS tests so far because of high costs, but I extremely want to. My first and main interest is ancestry - I want to discover what Slavic/Finno-Ugric/Baltic/etc tribes I descend from. Health is also interesting, but at this point I don't believe that DNA testing is very useful for medical purposes. Maybe later, but not nowadays. P.S. 20 y.o.

Amerijoe
10-04-2017, 12:05 PM
What-s-the-main-motivation-to-get-sequenced-for-people-under-35.

To find out if your related to people over 35.:)

greerpalmer
10-04-2017, 04:59 PM
From my experience ancestry is the key driver for young people who have been sequenced, but health traits is the key driver for those who are considering sequencing but don't act on it.

sktibo
10-04-2017, 05:19 PM
Not very interested in the health traits, neither are my friends around my age who have tested. We're around the 30 year old mark, I think at this age people become more interested in their heritage and ancestry. I think the motivation for someone who is 30 might be very different than the motivation for someone who is 20-25. Mind you I'm a bad example as I've always been interested in where peoples ancestors come from.
It was the ethnicity estimates I wanted - and still want more of - but I've tested with most major companies at this point. DNA relatives were something I wasn't interested in but have turned out to be the most worthwhile part of these tests.

lukaszM
10-06-2017, 10:56 AM
For me it was motivation to check my ethnicity estimates in various calculators.
Also to know if my Y-DNA is typically Polish so R1a.
If we talk about relatives, after looking at other Polish results I didn't expected suprising discoveries and I was right.
Health was completely uninportant at first. But after some time I checked it out of curiosity.

Waldemar
10-06-2017, 11:34 AM
My main goal is to locate ancient homeland of my ancestors, I hope that Y-DNA, mtDNA and autosomal tests will eventually shed some light on my origin. Hopefully, someday I would be able to assign my forefathers to Bronze Age and Iron Age cultures.

wombatofthenorth
10-24-2017, 05:43 AM