PDA

View Full Version : myheritage -surprising result

whocares
09-29-2017, 11:07 PM
Hello guys,

I am new to this forum. I don't know much about ethnology, so I hope one of you guys can help me.
So recently I got my myheritage results.

About myself:
My parents are both afghans. To be precise, I am 75 % pashtun. I just have one grandmother who has arabic roots (her ancestors emigrated to afghanistan a long time ago) and an uzbek greatgrandmother.

When I saw the results I was quite shocked.

I am

57 % south asian
18,7% west asian
18,1% central asian
15,5% scottish, irish, welsh

I've expected the south, west and central asian portions, but the relatively high percantage of scottish/irish/welsh dna shocked me.

So I was wondering if I may had a british great great father (there were 3 anglo-afghan wars in the 19th century)
or are the results unreliable? I have also uploaded the results on gedmatch, there were no traces of a british heritage (only a high percentage of baltic and north atlantic dna)

What would you guys say?

And are there other afghan people on this forum with similar results?

Thank you in advance :)

MitchellSince1893
09-29-2017, 11:41 PM
15.5% would put it at the great grandparent range if from a single source. Or it could from a couple of great great grandparents on different lines.

I had the opposite experience discovering I had previously unknown South Asian ancestry via by British ancestors in India. For me it was from Indian 5 great and 6th great grandmothers

therrien.joel
09-30-2017, 01:44 AM
Hello guys,

I am new to this forum. I don't know much about ethnology, so I hope one of you guys can help me.
So recently I got my myheritage results.

About myself:
My parents are both afghans. To be precise, I am 75 % pashtun. I just have one grandmother who has arabic roots (her ancestors emigrated to afghanistan a long time ago) and an uzbek greatgrandmother.

When I saw the results I was quite shocked.

I am

57 % south asian
18,7% west asian
18,1% central asian
15,5% scottish, irish, welsh

I've expected the south, west and central asian portions, but the relatively high percantage of scottish/irish/welsh dna shocked me.

So I was wondering if I may had a british great great father (there were 3 anglo-afghan wars in the 19th century)
or are the results unreliable? I have also uploaded the results on gedmatch, there were no traces of a british heritage (only a high percentage of baltic and north atlantic dna)

What would you guys say?

And are there other afghan people on this forum with similar results?

Thank you in advance :)

Have you tried uploading your file to GEDmatch? Trying that along with a few other places that accept 3'rd party files, Gencove for example, can give you a second and third opinion. Each company/organization's calculators operate differently, so you can expect an outlier. But if each one says the same thing, there's a better chance it's right.

therrien.joel
09-30-2017, 01:50 AM
15.5% would put it the great grandparent range if from a single source. Or it could from a couple of great great grandparents on different lines.

I had the opposite experience discovering I had previously unknown South Asian ancestry via by British ancestors in India. For me it was from Indian 5 great and 6th great grandmothers

That's very cool! Was that solely through a paper trail or did you have a hint from DNA first? Curious because I am trying to track down a probably 3'rd great grandparent that is from India. I only have DNA evidence right now but it's fairly solid (accidentally found a distant relative who originates from northern India but the link doesn't look too helpful in terms of discovering a paper trail).

MitchellSince1893
09-30-2017, 03:06 AM
That's very cool! Was that solely through a paper trail or did you have a hint from DNA first? Curious because I am trying to track down a probably 3'rd great grandparent that is from India. I only have DNA evidence right now but it's fairly solid (accidentally found a distant relative who originates from northern India but the link doesn't look too helpful in terms of discovering a paper trail).

DNA alerted me to the S. Asian ancestry which I had no clue about, and later discussions with a distant relative revealed the sources

therrien.joel
09-30-2017, 03:43 AM
DNA alerted me to the S. Asian ancestry which I had no clue about, and later discussions with a distant relative revealed the sources

Very nice! Hopefully one day I'll run across a similarly informed relative.

whocares
09-30-2017, 10:27 AM
According to gencove I am: 67 % south asian, 11 % central asian 15 % caucasian/iranian/anatolian and 7% northeastern european.

The results on dna.land were similar.
Now I am really confused.

I have also tried to find relatives on gedmatch. I have a common ancestor with many scottish people, about 5 generations back.

I though the test would help me find answers, now I have more questions.

therrien.joel
10-01-2017, 02:16 AM
According to gencove I am: 67 % south asian, 11 % central asian 15 % caucasian/iranian/anatolian and 7% northeastern european.

The results on dna.land were similar.
Now I am really confused.

I have also tried to find relatives on gedmatch. I have a common ancestor with many scottish people, about 5 generations back.

I though the test would help me find answers, now I have more questions.

Are any of the Scottish people related? You might be able to do a triangulation.

kush
10-01-2017, 04:45 AM
Your results are quite normal for afghans. There is another afghan user that's well known. His name is VelvetNono and he gets similar components with different percentages compared to you. He's 3/4 pashtun and 1/4 tajik.

He gets
47.9% South asian
32.3% West asian
10.3% central asian
6.3% East europe (Baltic)
3.2% Northwest europe (Irish,scottish, welsh)

this is his post:
http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?9093-MyHeritage-DNA&p=242537#post242537

The european percentage thats in afghans, pakistanis, indians is through steppe migrations from about 4000 years ago. Its basically the aryan DNA. Along with the central asian and part of west asian DNA. The combination of euro+central asian+a little of west asian is basically the aryan DNA. Its found in majority of afghans, pakistanis, tajiks, north and central indians.

asm
10-01-2017, 06:35 AM
whocares,my question is about your arabic side.How much Middle Eastern components do you score on Gedmatch calculators? (esp.k36)

whocares
10-01-2017, 07:35 PM
whocares,my question is about your arabic side.How much Middle Eastern components do you score on Gedmatch calculators? (esp.k36)

according to the eurogenes k36 calculator I'm 0 % middle eastern.

here are my results:

Amerindian 0.50
Armenian 4.52
East_Central_Asian 1.63
East_Central_Euro 1.04
East_Med 0.31
Fennoscandian 2.94
French 0.31
North_Atlantic 0.51
North_Caucasian 21.06
North_Sea 5.67
Siberian 1.87