PDA

View Full Version : Portuguese Jews likely or not likely to have North-African traits?

Sergi
09-30-2017, 03:35 PM
I recently had a conversation with someone who told me that Portuguese Sephardi Jews normally don't share ancestry with Berber Jews. My mother, descendant of a Portuguese Sephardi Jew, does have a little North-African in her Myheritage estimate. Also her oracle results that come with the EUtest show some Mozabite-Berber, Moroccan and Algerian. So I was wondering; are there more cases of Portuguese Jews that show North-African traits in their DNA? Or is there a greater chance that the North-African traits are coming from another ancestor weather then de Portuguese Jewish one when it comes to my mothers case?

I did try to do some research on google and found that some Jews from North-Africa went to Spain somewhere in the 15th century. But if I'm correct then the Portuguese Jews that eventually ended up in South-America (one of them would become my mothers ancestor) were already in Northern Europe by that time. So one would think there was no possibility for my mothers Sephardi Jewish ancestors to assimilate with Berber Jews.

JerryS.
09-30-2017, 04:34 PM
I don't understand how they differentiate Portuguese from Iberian/Spaniards. Portugal did not break away from Spain until the 1600s and even then it was just a political difference, not an ethnical one. The Portuguese were still Iberian peninsula people which were once ruled by Moors/Berber North Africans. Is this not correct?

Sergi
09-30-2017, 05:08 PM
I don't understand how they differentiate Portuguese from Iberian/Spaniards. Portugal did not break away from Spain until the 1600s and even then it was just a political difference, not an ethnical one. The Portuguese were still Iberian peninsula people which were once ruled by Moors/Berber North Africans. Is this not correct?

I'm not that familiar with Portuguese history. But I do know the Sephardic Jews of Suriname are also calles Portuguese Jews

coffeeprince
09-30-2017, 06:47 PM
There were many Moroccan Jewish people (and maybe some other North African Jews) that moved back to Portugal in the 1700s.

RCO
09-30-2017, 06:54 PM
Portuguese genetics is different from Castilian genetics just like the Portuguese language is different from the Castilian language. Modern Spain was formed by Castilians, Catalans, Basques, Galicians with specific differences. I think the former Portuguese Jews used to have Western Iberian and Northern African DNA minor contributions.

Pylsteen
09-30-2017, 07:29 PM
For the good order "Portuguese Jews" is the name often used in Dutch for the Sephardic Jews, who of course often ended up in Portugal after the Spanish expulsion, and from there in Amsterdam etc.
I don't know if they show relationship to Berber Jews; I do know there were also Sephardic centers in Morocco, Algeria.
Btw, you may watch the new episode of Verborgen Verleden, it's with Jorgen Raymann, he may have a similar story.