PDA

View Full Version : KELL +

Titus Valerius
08-14-2013, 08:37 AM
Hi all,
Are there any Kell+ out there?
I noticed on my 23andMe that I'm Kell+, That 's very rare : (9%)!
I'm wondering if this feature belongs to some particular population.
I know that Henry VIII was Kell+

ilmari
08-14-2013, 08:50 AM
Hi all,
Are there any Kell+ out there?
I noticed on my 23andMe that I'm Kell+, That 's very rare : (9%)!
I'm wondering if this feature belongs to some particular population.
I know that Henry VIII was Kell+

I'm curious as to which Kell antigens you're speaking of. Do you mean: Kell Blood Group (K/k antigens) with a result of AG K+k+ ?

Titus Valerius
08-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Hi , I mean Kell blood group, I'm K+k+

AJL
08-14-2013, 02:19 PM
My grandfather is K+k+ too. K+ is not especially common but what seems even rarer is k-.

J Man
08-14-2013, 02:45 PM
I have noticed on 23andme that my paternal grandfather, my father and myself are all K+k+ for the Kell Blood Group (K/k antigens). We all have AG at this marker. My grandfather is of 100% Southern Italian (Calabrese) ancestry.

MikeWhalen
08-15-2013, 11:08 AM
hmm...I know absolutely nothing about any of this stuff, other than via blood donation, I know I'm an A+
...which marker/markers at our 23&me data base deal with this other stuff? I'd like to check and see what mine say

thanks

Mike

J Man
08-15-2013, 02:00 PM
hmm...I know absolutely nothing about any of this stuff, other than via blood donation, I know I'm an A+
...which marker/markers at our 23&me data base deal with this other stuff? I'd like to check and see what mine say

thanks

Mike

It is under the ''Traits'' section at 23andme Mike. And then under ''Non-ABO Blood Groups.''

MikeWhalen
08-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Ahh, thx Jman

so if I am reading this right, my results are;

Diego Blood Group GG Di(a-b+)
Di(a-b+) is found in more than 99.9% of Europeans and Africans and >90% of Asians.

Kell Blood Group (K/k antigens) GG K-k+
The K-k+ blood type is found in 98% of Africans and 91% of people of European ancestry.

Kell Blood Group (Kp(a)/Kp(b) antigens) GG Kp(a-b+)
The Kp(a-b+) blood type is found in 97.7% of Europeans and 100% of Africans.

Kidd Blood Group AG Jk(a+b+)
Jk(a+b+): 50% Europeans, 41% Africans, 49% Asians

So it seems I have the expected and most common results for 'way back' British Isles/Caucasian guy.

One thing I am not fully clear on is a point they mentioned about newborns and mothers and such in the 3rd and 4th type..."Immune responses to blood mismatched for the Kell blood group can cause severe transfusion reactions and severe hemolytic disease of the newborn (reactions against K are stronger than against k, Kpa, or Kpb). In the case of hemolytic disease of the newborn, the mother's antibodies prevent red blood cells from being made in the fetus.

Using the 'old' blood system, my elder brother is a positive blood group (not sure which) and I am A+, but my mom was a negative blood type (I think O-, is that the 'universal donor for negative blood types? I remember she was that kind)
A very well known and somewhat scary family story for when I was born is that because I was a second child, and my mom had the unusual negative blood type, they were worried that at birth, my moms blood would 'attack' me/my blood.
Evidently, because my brother was a positive type blood, his blood would have'triggered' my moms blood as it saw the postive blood as a threat and the next child would be in grave danger (thanks bro...).
the Dr's had a whole set of extra blood at hand for my birth as this appearantly was a well known phenonama and were ready to switch mine all out for it if I was 'under attack'
The good news is, I was ok...it turns out that since my bro is almost 14 yrs older than me, enough time had gone by so that my moms blood had lost the 'trigger' effect and did not attack mine
(forgive the non scientific language in my retelling, there were several points where I did not know or recall the correct phraseology)

My question is, are any of my Non ABO blood group results of particular (especially # 3 NS 4 type) note due to or caused by my family circumstances or was I more or less suseptible?

Thanks for any info

Mike

It is under the ''Traits'' section at 23andme Mike. And then under ''Non-ABO Blood Groups.''