PDA

View Full Version : Indian Genealogy

JFWinstone
10-02-2017, 05:08 PM
I was wondering if anyone on here has any tips on getting started with Indian family history? I've gone back as far as I can on the Mauritian end of things but have no idea where to start when it comes to Indian records. My 2x great grandmother had the surname Bhagabat/Bhagabhat and the Mauritian records had her down as being from Pondicherry, Orissa or West Bengal which isn't too helpful.

nuplix
10-02-2017, 06:10 PM
Are you Karhade Brahmin?

JFWinstone
10-02-2017, 07:48 PM
I don't know that much beyond my Mauritian family. My grandfather didn't talk much about his family history and unfortunately he passed away about 14 years ago.

parasar
10-02-2017, 08:20 PM
I was wondering if anyone on here has any tips on getting started with Indian family history? I've gone back as far as I can on the Mauritian end of things but have no idea where to start when it comes to Indian records. My 2x great grandmother had the surname Bhagabat/Bhagabhat and the Mauritian records had her down as being from Pondicherry, Orissa or West Bengal which isn't too helpful.

More information would be needed to narrow down her origin.
Any relation to the Gujadhur family in Mauritius? This family is related to my mother's family.