PDA

View Full Version : What does South England and Wales component represent?

Dibran
10-09-2017, 12:48 PM
Is this modern ancestry? or?

I don't see how Albanians would have 8% South England and Wales, including 2 percent Scandinavian?

Could this be linked to Norman settlements in Albania? Would South England and Wales be more related to celtic like mixture, or is it possible it represents a mixture of Viking in the area that would have raided the Mediterranean? Otherwise I do not see how I have this high of a percentage. Even in 23andme it picked up less than a percent of northwest Europe. And in Ancestry I get 1 percent Finnish. Trying to make sense of these mixtures and how they arrived in Albania.

Dibran
10-10-2017, 06:14 PM
Bump Bump

greerpalmer
10-11-2017, 02:11 PM
I think your guess is as good as any. Wales is heavy on ancient Spanish components versus the rest of the UK... I would say it'd be some mix of Central & West European but very hard to say.

Dibran
10-11-2017, 03:56 PM
I think your guess is as good as any. Wales is heavy on ancient Spanish components versus the rest of the UK... I would say it'd be some mix of Central & West European but very hard to say.

Interesting. I wonder if its just due to their sample size. Regardless, if I didn't have the component I reckon I wouldn't get 8 percent South England/Wales and 2 percent Scandinavian. If it is as you suggest, I would imagine its older. If its not related to underlying Spanish mixture, than perhaps its associated with Viking raids in Med/Norman settlements in Albania.

greerpalmer
10-11-2017, 09:00 PM
Interesting. I wonder if its just due to their sample size. Regardless, if I didn't have the component I reckon I wouldn't get 8 percent South England/Wales and 2 percent Scandinavian. If it is as you suggest, I would imagine its older. If its not related to underlying Spanish mixture, than perhaps its associated with Viking raids in Med/Norman settlements in Albania.

We can speculate for years and be wrong for decades. I always dismiss the idea that an ancient invasion or trade routes left a significant and measurable impact on anyone's dna. I like the idea that the Kievan Rus ruling class from Scandinavian may have had some influence on your genetics and reached you in the Balkans from neighboring Ukraine, but in actuality I think that this admixture estimate may be inaccurate likely due to impure sample population. Living DNA assigns various UK groups to many German, French and even Italian natives, I wouldn't be surprised if these results change over time---particularly since you're not new to testing and you've never seen these results before.

Dibran
10-11-2017, 11:52 PM
We can speculate for years and be wrong for decades. I always dismiss the idea that an ancient invasion or trade routes left a significant and measurable impact on anyone's dna. I like the idea that the Kievan Rus ruling class from Scandinavian may have had some influence on your genetics and reached you in the Balkans from neighboring Ukraine, but in actuality I think that this admixture estimate may be inaccurate likely due to impure sample population. Living DNA assigns various UK groups to many German, French and even Italian natives, I wouldn't be surprised if these results change over time---particularly since you're not new to testing and you've never seen these results before.

Family oral history claims descent from a man whom(according to the local clan stories in Mirdita) say he was a Condottieri hired by Skanderbeg and brought to Albania. I would imagine if this oral history is true, then the Condottieri could have been Norman, Scandinavian, Germanic(considering most early Condottieri were foreigners). Another possibility is a North Italian native with maybe some inherited DNA from Viking raids near Pisa. I cant see it being older than 500-1000 years, if it is accurate.