PDA

View Full Version : Q1b in UP India?

Lara101
10-11-2017, 05:17 PM
Can anyone tell me how did ydna haplogroup Q1b get to UP in central India? My dad is Q1b and he is from Varanasi, UP India

MonkeyDLuffy
10-11-2017, 06:22 PM
I think this will answer your question:

http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_Q_Y-DNA.shtml#Q1b2

Lara101
10-27-2017, 02:29 AM
So Q1b in India is really old? I was under the impression it came through the turkic invasion

parasar
10-27-2017, 08:26 PM
So Q1b in India is really old? I was under the impression it came through the turkic invasion

"its further spreading was connected with the migrations of the Indo-Europeans to India and Western Asia ... presence of Q haplogroup representatives in these lands; 6 Q1a and 4 Q1b were found in the Black Gouliang barrow to the east of the Barkol Basin at the ruins of Hami (Kumul) ... The Hami oasis was located at the Great Silk Road near to Turfan and Khotan (Yarkend). The barrow dated to the Early (Western) Han (II-I centuries B.C.)"
https://www.academia.edu/7117246/The_update_of_the_phylogenetic_structure_of_Q1b_ha plogroup_based_on_full_Y-chromosome_sequencing

khanabadoshi
10-27-2017, 11:35 PM
I think there are a few Qs in the PJL and BEB samples, I haven't gotten around to sorting all the y-HG.

Lara101
11-08-2017, 02:24 PM
My dad is from Varanasi, which is a holy hindu city, we are muslims, but I do suspect my dad side was converted at some point, probably 100 years ago, my dad side is very deep rooted in Varanasi UP culture, and my dads older sister is still Hindu basically. So I am just wondering, will my Q1B be older indo aryan origin, or newer Turkic origin? what do you think? how can I get tested for this? is there a way to tell the difference in dates?

Also why is Q1B rare? it is found in many places, central asia, south asia, west asia, Europe, but it is still rare, how come?

Kristiina
11-08-2017, 03:16 PM
Of course we cannot tell the language spoken by people buried in the ancient tombs but those Q1b men in the Black Gouliang cemetery Xinjiang probably spoke the Xiongnu language which may have been related to Yeniseian languages.

"Over the past decade, Chinese archaeologists have published several reviews regarding the results of excavations in Xinjiang. They imply the Xiongnu's supreme ruling class. Particularly interesting are the tombs in the cemetery at Heigouliang, Xinjiang (the Black Gouliang cemetery, also known as the summer palace of the Xiongnu king), east of the Barkol basin, near the city of Hami. By typing results of DNA samples during the excavation of one of the tombs, it was determined that of the 12 men there were: Q1a*(xQ-M120, xQ-M25, xQ-M3) - 6, Q1b (M378) - 4 (two separate tombs), Q*(xQ1a, xQ1b)-2 (unable to determine subclade). All Y-haplogroup Q1b-M378 represent hosts of the tombs, while half of Y-DNA Q1a* represents hosts and half sacrificial victims. They date from the time of the early (Western) Han (2nd-1st Century BC)." (Wikipedia)

Lara101
11-08-2017, 07:18 PM
Of course we cannot tell the language spoken by people buried in the ancient tombs but those Q1b men in the Black Gouliang cemetery Xinjiang probably spoke the Xiongnu language which may have been related to Yeniseian languages.

"Over the past decade, Chinese archaeologists have published several reviews regarding the results of excavations in Xinjiang. They imply the Xiongnu's supreme ruling class. Particularly interesting are the tombs in the cemetery at Heigouliang, Xinjiang (the Black Gouliang cemetery, also known as the summer palace of the Xiongnu king), east of the Barkol basin, near the city of Hami. By typing results of DNA samples during the excavation of one of the tombs, it was determined that of the 12 men there were: Q1a*(xQ-M120, xQ-M25, xQ-M3) - 6, Q1b (M378) - 4 (two separate tombs), Q*(xQ1a, xQ1b)-2 (unable to determine subclade). All Y-haplogroup Q1b-M378 represent hosts of the tombs, while half of Y-DNA Q1a* represents hosts and half sacrificial victims. They date from the time of the early (Western) Han (2nd-1st Century BC)." (Wikipedia)

Thanks. Could some of those people have come to India? Also I know phenotype does not matter, but is Q1b associated with the oriental/Mongol type look? The reason I am asking is that on my dads side no one has that look, they are very much Indian looking from the state of UP. which is North/Central India, in fact Deepak Chopra who is also Q1b kinda resembles my dads brother. They clearly must have mixed with others Indians a lot, but not sure when recently with in the last 500 years, or 2000/3000 years ago?

Kristiina
11-09-2017, 12:08 PM
Xiongnus surely looked Siberian/Northeast Asian but nobody knows if your Q1b is related to Xiongnus. There was probably Q1b in Central Asia at an early date, so those Central Asian Q1b may have resembled modern Burushos (http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5336/9995635506_8ae9597fe6_o.jpg).

However, it does not matter if your exotic ancestor lived 500 years, or 2000/3000 years ago, because even in 500 years the descendents would look like everybody else. I once made calculations on the basis of my family tree: one of my ancestors 19 generations back was born c. 1440 and at that level (19 generations back), I have 524 288 ancestors and I will hit a million ancestors in the previous generation. If only one of them looked exotic, you can imagine the difference that one in 524 288 ancestors makes to your phenotype.