PDA

View Full Version : Changes to communities.

Ron from PA
10-14-2017, 06:05 AM
I liked that they had a tab that said connection. That's now gone you can find your matches in the community but it's not as obvious imo.

FionnSneachta
10-14-2017, 03:09 PM
I still have my connection tab. Maybe it's only affecting certain genetic communities?

Nqp15hhu
10-17-2017, 01:08 AM
My AncestryDNA has changed now. My Genetic Communities are assigned with areas.

1. Ulster Irish: Ireland/Wales/Scotland
2. Scots: Ireland/Wales/Scotland and Europe West.

Still no further stratification in my Scots Genetic Community.

Ghost01
10-17-2017, 01:24 AM
My genetic communities prior to the changes were : Central Europeans and Hungarians and Slovaks. Now, I have Poland, Slovakia, Hungary and Romania for one community and still have Hungarians and Slovaks for the other. Funny thing is that I don't have any known connections to these groups. Perhaps, some overlap from my Bosnian-Serb ancestry?

td120
10-17-2017, 04:35 AM
My genetic community name changed from "Southeastern Europeans" to "Greece,Turkey and Albania" . Still belong to this GC with 95% confidence. All other stats seem unchanged...the number of people joining this GC is growing though.

timberwolf
10-17-2017, 04:53 AM
Mine have changed as well.

Devon and Cornwall
West Midlands
Northern England

Jessie
10-17-2017, 07:03 AM
I've noticed that instead of Ireland they now have Ireland/Scotland/Wales. I'd say that's a good move as it should hopefully reduce the people thinking they just have "Irish" ancestry.

FionnSneachta
10-17-2017, 07:42 AM
I've noticed that instead of Ireland they now have Ireland/Scotland/Wales. I'd say that's a good move as it should hopefully reduce the people thinking they just have "Irish" ancestry.

That's probably a good development. Oddly enough it's not on my page yet. However, I can see insights now for the genetic community on Ancestry.com now.

MacUalraig
10-17-2017, 07:53 AM
Minimal name changes to mine, they dropped 'English' from Yorkshire & Pennines. The membership numbers of both that and the Central Scotland/Ulster Ireland rocketed a while ago, my matches are now 343 and 904 respectively. The first five months they were around 9 and 20.

A Norfolk L-M20
10-17-2017, 10:10 AM
For myself, yes some reference population names have been modified (such as Ireland to Irish/Scottish/Welsh), and the presentation is highlighting more the "Southern England" GC, even into the "ethnicity" presentation, which is good, they are integrating GCs it seems more into the general ethnicity result. However, in doing so, they've reduced the visibility and detail of all Genetic Communities feature. I can no longer see my confidence levels in a GC, or the information behind different ethnicity results for that GC. Features like that below I can no longer find:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17838&d=1501528537

In addition, my previous highlighted GC wasn't so much "Southern England", but a daughter GC, "East Anglia & Essex". But they seem to now be burying GCs into the general ethnicity results, but not necessarily with such degree of focus. Indeed, the only evidence of my membership of the East Anglia & Essex GC now is that I have the option of filtering DNA matches with it.

A Norfolk L-M20
10-17-2017, 10:48 AM
To illustrate what they've changed to my presentation:

As it was, when they were highlighting East Anglia & Essex:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17837&d=1501528529

As it is now:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19325&d=1508237173

I feel a bit robbed of my more refined GC ha ha,

Nqp15hhu
10-17-2017, 11:40 AM

Do you think that's true for me, in Northern Ireland?

MacUalraig
10-17-2017, 12:46 PM

Interesting but not Genetic Communities ;-)
Personally I would be quite happy if they just got rid of the Ethnicity estimates altogether.

Dibran
10-17-2017, 02:05 PM
I noticed the change on my mothers results. Mine however still show the old layout. Is this an update in progress?

laulei
10-17-2017, 03:37 PM
The Italy/Greece region has been renamed 'Europe South.'

ollie444
10-17-2017, 03:58 PM
Personally I would be quite happy if they just got rid of the Ethnicity estimates altogether.

I agree. I thought they were supposed to be updating their ethnicity estimates soon? Has anyone heard anything?

ollie444
10-17-2017, 04:00 PM
To illustrate what they've changed to my presentation:

As it was, when they were highlighting East Anglia & Essex:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17837&d=1501528529

As it is now:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19325&d=1508237173

I feel a bit robbed of my more refined GC ha ha,

My West Midlands now includes Wales as well. >:(

Nqp15hhu
10-17-2017, 04:02 PM

And replace with what?

sktibo
10-17-2017, 04:05 PM

either that or just update the darn thing. Way overdue

sktibo
10-17-2017, 04:09 PM
The names of the communities have been changed for mine but the ethnicity estimates for all of the kits I have access to are exactly the same. There's also way more matches for the Scottish genetic community.

Eochaidh
10-17-2017, 04:39 PM
My DNA Results page has merged my Genetic Communities into my Ethnicity Estimate and my two sub-regions are no longer accessible. The sub-regions still appear in the drop-down on the View Matches screen.

New DNA Results page

View Matches screen

greerpalmer
10-17-2017, 05:07 PM
My DNA Results page has merged my Genetic Communities into my Ethnicity Estimate and my two sub-regions are no longer accessible. The sub-regions still appear in the drop-down on the View Matches screen.

New DNA Results page

View Matches screen

Yes, kind of annoys me because my subregion "North Midlands" best describes my most recent ancestry and covers counties that are technically in Connacht and Leinster. I'm sure if you go back to my late-1700 immigrant roots many of them are from counties in Ulster but I dislike how they're not separated out.

leonardo
10-17-2017, 05:08 PM
My results are the same but the format differs. Will take some to to adjust to it.

Dibran
10-17-2017, 06:45 PM

New DNA Results page

View Matches screen

My mothers are updated like yours. Is the update still in progress? Because I still have the same results.....

Abcd123
10-17-2017, 06:59 PM
Mine changed to the new format yesterday and are now back to the previous format?

JenneR
10-17-2017, 07:42 PM
Nothing is different with mine, except the front page now says DNA Story. Still have Ireland without Scotland/Wales and still have Italy/Greece and the same genetic community with a connection tab.

JenneR
10-17-2017, 07:43 PM
Weird, I’ve still got Italy/Greece...

kostoffj
10-17-2017, 07:59 PM
I noticed that the name of my one GC changed from Germans in the Midwest to "Germany and the Midwestern United States." That's the extent of the change though.

Teutorigos
10-18-2017, 01:35 AM
My results are the same but the format differs. Will take some to to adjust to it.

Same here so you would think they would be more confident in my genetic link to my single genetic community but it still says my link is just 'likely'. Bah, I find my genetic community perplexing. My genetic community is on my ethnicity estimate now under an orange bullet and I can click on it. This is what it says if I click on it :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/naudiz/ancestry_zpslgi1dnaq.png

It says my connection to Ulster Ireland is from my Ireland/Wales/Scotland and British ethnicity yet totally ignores my minor Scandinavian ancestry (which might edge me closer to or with the Scots) and then if I click on the history of the region the very first period , listed, starts talking about Presbyterians being persecuted so moving to America as if I could be Presbyterian yet seemingly has a totally seperate genetic community category for Ulster Scots/Scots. This makes it seem like they are not on the ball to me, man.

geebee
10-18-2017, 11:23 AM
I have have Genetic Communities. One is "likely"; one is "possible" at 40%; and the other two are possible at only 20%.

The only change I can see so far is that they changed the name of my "likely" GC from "Settlers of Colonial Pennsylvania" to "Early Pennsylvania Settlers". I liked the previous name better, and I can't see why they made the change.

I can see why I'm in the "Early Pennsylvania Settlers" GC, whatever they want to call it. It's what my father's ancestry is exclusively, since the colonial period. I'm not sure why the likelihood of my membership in this community is only rated at 60%, though, since I have some 35 pages of relatives in this category.

I'm in three sub-categories for this region: "Central Pennsylvania Settlers" (9 pages); "South Central Pennsylvania & Western Maryland Settlers" (9 pages); and "Susquehanna River Valley Settlers" (14 pages). The cousins here (so far) do seem to be related to me on my father's side.

My second GC is called "Kentucky Eastern Pennroyal Settlers", but in the DNA Matches pages it's shown as a sub-category of "Eastern Kentucky and Northeast Tennessee Settlers". I have 14 pages of "Kentucky Eastern Pennroyal Settlers" cousins and 51 pages of ""Eastern Kentucky and Northeast Tennessee Settlers" cousins. As far as I've looked to this point, these are all related to me through my maternal grandfather.

I'm a bit surprised not to be in any GC involving southern Mississippi or Louisiana. I have many cousins from this region, and my mother was from the region. My ancestry here goes back to the earliest years of French Louisiana. But, maybe there's a limit to how many Genetic Communities a person can be in? (I'm in four, but two only have a likelihood of 20%.)

miremont
10-18-2017, 11:32 AM
Other than some aesthetic changes already discussed in this thread there has been no update to my communities. I was hoping to see some new communities pop up, but alas...

Eochaidh
10-18-2017, 12:00 PM
The new drill-downs are combined Ethnicity Estimates and Genetic Communities, and the number of matches has increased by a factor of ten. When I last did an export of my Ulster Irish I had about 350 people with a cutoff at 16 cM. Now I have about 3500 with a cutoff at 6 cM. My first thought about this is that it may be a programming error.

First drill-down

After Ulster, Ireland is clicked

New map of Ulster, Ireland

mwauthy
10-18-2017, 12:23 PM
I am not sure if Ancestry has completed their update or not. However, based on what I’ve seen I have a few comments/complaints/questions.

If the Ireland category is now called Ireland/Scotland/Wales why is the other British Isles category still called Great Britain? Shouldn’t it be labeled England or perhaps Northwestern Europe if they decided to combine it with Northern France and the Low Countries?

Shouldn’t Italy/Greece be called Southeastern Europe like on FTDNA instead of Southern Europe? Aren’t Spain and Portugal considered Southern European as well?

Considering the Iberian Peninsula category covers half of France and goes up to Belgium perhaps that category should be relabeled Southwestern European?

msmarjoribanks
10-18-2017, 12:25 PM
They seem to have broadened the scope of my communities (which were already quite broad) and now a ridiculous number of people are supposedly genetically linked. Mine weren't that useful before, so I don't care -- they told me what I knew already -- but now they are silly. Interesting for the story, perhaps, but not useful for anything genetics related. (Basically I was Early Settlers of Ohio River Valley and of PA, OH, and IN, which were weirdly overlapping to begin with, and they seem to have changed to it settlers of PA, OH, and IN, and settlers of the Ohio River Valley plus IL and IA. So mostly it's now connecting me to everyone who settled in a very large and populous part of the US midwest plus Pennsylvania!)

Nqp15hhu
10-18-2017, 12:43 PM
Why do Americans not get genetic communities from their European ancestral homelands as a rule? What percentage of your ancestry has to be from a country to actually be allocated on that group?

I'm trying to understand the actual thresholds.

Nqp15hhu
10-18-2017, 12:45 PM
I am not sure if Ancestry has completed their update or not. However, based on what I’ve seen I have a few comments/complaints/questions.

If the Ireland category is now called Ireland/Scotland/Wales why is the other British Isles category still called Great Britain? Shouldn’t it be labeled England or perhaps Northwestern Europe if they decided to combine it with Northern France and the Low Countries?

Shouldn’t Italy/Greece be called Southeastern Europe like on FTDNA instead of Southern Europe? Aren’t Spain and Portugal considered Southern European as well?

Considering the Iberian Peninsula category covers half of France and goes up to Belgium perhaps that category should be relabeled Southwestern European?
The GB category seems to be an English category like the one on MyHeritage.

MacUalraig
10-18-2017, 12:57 PM
They seem to have broadened the scope of my communities (which were already quite broad) and now a ridiculous number of people are supposedly genetically linked. (snip)

Certainly the membership of the gcs has gone up significantly, I'm not sure I would call it 'ridiculous' though. Unless we were to see the raw data segments it is all based on etc, who knows.

Don Felipe
10-18-2017, 01:04 PM
I'm trying to understand the actual thresholds.

Not sure how a person's overall ethnicity estimates are taken into account, but possibly one of the main requirements has to do with a minimal number of IBD matches with other members of the genetic community which are >12cM.

Genetic Communities are defined by clusters of people who share long IBD (identical-by-descent) segments of DNA. AncestryDNA‘s White Paper on GCs doesn’t define “long”, but the scientific paper on which the method is based specifies that the total shared amount of DNA is 12 cM or more. (Because scientific papers are rather dense, I wrote a layperson’s summary that you can read here (http://thednageek.com/the-science-behind-genetic-communities-at-ancestrydna/).) Members of a community may also match people outside the cluster, but their connections to people within the cluster are more numerous and stronger. You won’t match everyone in a GC to which you belong, but everyone in the group matches other people in it.
source (http://thednageek.com/genetic-communities-are-here/)

kujira692
10-18-2017, 02:09 PM
Hi everyone,

My kits still haven't had the map update part, but the names of the Genetic Communities have been modified:

French Settlers Along the St. Lawrence: Saint Lawrence River French Settlers
English Newfoundlanders: Newfoundland English Settlers
Scots: Scotland
Early Settlers of New York: New York Settlers
Settlers of the Massachusetts Coast and Nova Scotia: Nova Scotia & Massachusetts Coast Settlers

Abcd123
10-18-2017, 05:19 PM
Ancestry Dana's response to my query regarding updates: Hi ..., thanks for getting in touch with us. Potential updates are rolled out to certain customers for testing purposes and to ensure a smooth transition for all members, which explains why you and others may have seen a different ethnicity layout on your account for a period. Updates are also often rolled in stages, so keep an eye on your DNA home page for any changes which may be applied going forward.

geebee
10-18-2017, 06:50 PM
Not sure how a person's overall ethnicity estimates are taken into account, but possibly one of the main requirements has to do with a minimal number of IBD matches with other members of the genetic community which are >12cM.

I have to wonder just what that minimal number of matches is, though, since I belong to at least seven DNA Circles focused on people with very deep roots on the Mississippi Gulf coast. We're talking about people who were among the pioneering families of the region.

I know the DNA Circles are a separate thing from Genetic Communities, but it seems like there ought to be at least some overlap. Of course, Ancestry doesn't do anything so useful as letting you know what the Genetic Communities of your cousins are until after you're assigned to the same communities.

EDITED to Add:

I have at least three half 2nd cousins and a number of 3rd cousins who probably should be members of one or more of the Genetic Communities under "Gulf States" or "Mississippi & Louisiana Settlers". They -- and I -- have had ancestry in the Biloxi, Mississippi, region for the last 300 years. (And unlike me, some of them still live in the area.)

Beyond this, I have dozens of more distant cousins in the same area.

msmarjoribanks
10-18-2017, 09:08 PM
Certainly the membership of the gcs has gone up significantly, I'm not sure I would call it 'ridiculous' though. Unless we were to see the raw data segments it is all based on etc, who knows.

Mine are now: "You and 2,447 of your DNA matches, along with 445,131 other AncestryDNA members, are all genetically linked to form the Genetic Community Ohio River Valley, Indiana, Illinois & Iowa Settlers" and "You and 1,198 of your DNA matches, along with 225,223 other AncestryDNA members, are all genetically linked to form the Genetic Community Pennsylvania, Ohio & Indiana Settlers."

Maybe ridiculous is not fair, but they seem awfully broad.

It WAS early settlers if memory serves, and no longer seems to be.

Kathlingram
10-31-2017, 01:49 PM
A very new thread( within the hour) on Facebook" All Genetic Genealogy" about the changes in Ethnicity Estimates..Mine last week were indicating that my Welsh migrated from Ireland Scotland and today:
My Irish 68% has changed to Ireland/Scotland/Wales with a breakdown from Ulster..my Great Britain 17% breaks down to Wales and Welsh midlands ...My sisters Ireland 57% has broken down the same way with Ulster and Munster.. and still 17% Welsh Midlands.. Did say Ireland for both

CillKenny
10-31-2017, 09:19 PM
To be honest I only purchased the Ancestry test to get the genetic communities data. I don't remember being told it would not be available for a while. I got an email today purporting to say it was being updated but it didn't go back to what it was. Customer service seems not a strong point.

sktibo
10-31-2017, 09:25 PM
Central and Eastern Scotland GC has turned into just Scotland. My French Canadian GC has had its name change. Both Communities when selected say that these communities come from Great Britain, Ireland/Scotland/Wales, and Europe West, which I found particularly interesting.

SWAHILLI_PRINCE16
10-31-2017, 10:16 PM
Still no Genetic Communities for me but I did receive a new layout...

FionnSneachta
10-31-2017, 10:36 PM
My genetic communities and ethnicity estimate has finally been updated. I like the new layout. It's easier to find the sub genetic communities. It says that your Connacht genetic community is likely through your ancestry from Ireland/Scotland/Wales or Great Britain (I think I know which one). North Connacht and Galway still make up the sub-regions so there's no change in the communities. I've spent a long time trying to explain to some how to find out your sub-regions so I'm glad to see that it's now clearly visible when you click on your genetic community.

Jessie
11-02-2017, 05:12 AM
My genetic communities and ethnicity estimate has finally been updated. I like the new layout. It's easier to find the sub genetic communities. It says that your Connacht genetic community is likely through your ancestry from Ireland/Scotland/Wales or Great Britain (I think I know which one). North Connacht and Galway still make up the sub-regions so there's no change in the communities. I've spent a long time trying to explain to some how to find out your sub-regions so I'm glad to see that it's now clearly visible when you click on your genetic community.

The same with Munster GC. Likely through your ancestry from Ireland/Scotland/Wales or Great Britain.

kostoffj
11-02-2017, 01:37 PM
Mine was updated, sort of. There have been small, incremental changes. My first and only GC is "Germans in the Midwest," which was renamed "Germany and the Midwestern United States." Then, they changed the way they organize that info on the DNA page, so now it lists my ethnicity estimate, with my GC as a sub-bullet under "Europe West." I did some poking around with "see all 150+ regions" and noted that Germany and the Midwestern United States has seven sub-GCs, such as "Hessen, Kansas and Nebraska," which is very cool, but unfortunately I don't show up under any of the sub-GCs. Since I know where my ancestors came from, I should be in the "Southern Germany and the Midwest" sub-GC. I don't know if I will be assigned that GC in the future or not.

For that matter since I have more than German ancestry, I wonder still why I haven't been assigned any others. I also have significant Irish ancestry, so I'm frankly surprised I haven't been assigned any of that, especially seeing as the Irish GCs seem to be very well developed. I should probably read the white paper in detail someday.

Kathlingram
11-02-2017, 11:27 PM
6 million testers, "Opt-in and Opt-out" and the new Geographic rollout

Nqp15hhu
11-02-2017, 11:29 PM
What does this mean?

tomz
11-04-2017, 12:27 AM
delete