PDA

View Full Version : "Itsy bitsy spider: Fear of spiders and snakes is deeply embedded in us"

MikeWhalen
10-23-2017, 04:43 PM
Ha! I could have told them that!

"Snakes and spiders evoke fear and disgust in many people, even in developed countries where hardly anybody comes into contact with them. Until now, there has been debate about whether this aversion is innate or learnt. Scientists have recently discovered that it is hereditary: Even babies feel stressed when seeing these creatures - long before they could have learnt this reaction."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/10/171019110953.htm

Mike

Robert1
10-23-2017, 08:06 PM
Unlike the old song Spiders And Snakes ... I like them!

George Chandler
10-23-2017, 09:03 PM
Unlike the old song Spiders And Snakes ... I like them!

Me too..poor Mike would get the willy's walking into one of my rooms! LOL

Saetro
10-24-2017, 12:05 AM
Fear of spiders and snakes is deeply embedded in us

That is NOT what the paper found. Not for snakes anyway.
They found a greater response from images of fish (non-threatening) than snakes (threatening), although the difference did not look significant.
This is another case of headline-writer's confusion, a syndrome that merits a serious study.
So did the researchers consider whether this result might invalidate their finding on spiders, particularly when snakes are statistically more likely to be dangerous, are they not?

And this is not the end of things.
Journalists are swallowing press reports whole, even when they make no sense.
Here is a report from yesterday's local news.
Days after 6 men went missing at sea, a fishermen's boat has been located under 20 fathoms of water.
One man was found alive on shore. We spoke to the only non-survivor (sic).
The bodies of 2 men were recovered from the sunken boat.
Those of the other 4 men are still to be recovered.

These guys can't count to 6 and spoke to "the only non-survivor"!
It was the same on 3 different TV news channels, one of which takes itself very seriously.

The problem I find at the moment with articles like that of this thread is that I cannot find a great deal of difference between the reliability of science article titles in Science Daily and the Daily Mail, and sometimes not in the articles themselves. Although the Daily Mail has one really good science writer who seems to be able to combine interest and truth.

Lirio100
10-28-2017, 07:16 PM
I have never liked spiders, even broke out in hives a few times. At one time I volunteered at an insect "zoo" where there were several spider exhibits. Did try to get over it, even held a tarantula! Didn't work though:P

rms2
10-29-2017, 02:41 PM
Spiders and snakes don't really scare me unless they are venomous. I find them interesting to watch. A couple of years ago there was a big fat Garden Spider in our garden. Her markings were beautiful. I liked watching her, and even fed her an occasional caterpillar. I nicknamed that Garden Spider Hillary Rodham Spiderton. I was sorry when, at the end of the summer, I found the web shredded and Hillary gone: apparently eaten by a bird or a Praying Mantis or something.

Here are a couple of photos I took of Hillary in her prime.

George Chandler
10-29-2017, 04:39 PM
Spiders and snakes don't really scare me unless they are venomous. I find them interesting to watch. A couple of years ago there was a big fat Garden Spider in our garden. Her markings were beautiful. I liked watching her, and even fed her an occasional caterpillar. I nicknamed that Garden Spider Hillary Rodham Spiderton. I was sorry when, at the end of the summer, I found the web shredded and Hillary gone: apparently eaten by a bird or a Praying Mantis or something.

Here are a couple of photos I took of Hillary in her prime.

Really!? Hillary Rodham Spiderton? LOL. Wait...wait...let me guess...you're not a Dem?

Stranger
08-13-2018, 11:36 PM
Spiders are good at killing cockroaches, among other pests. They are my ally.