PDA

View Full Version : More Swedish Cousins - Chip problems

Kathlingram
10-25-2017, 01:19 PM
I have been traveling off and on for 2 weeks..
I see today that I have at least 4 new Swedish 4th cousins.. My 3rd great grandfather Charles Swanson ( Carl Swenson) came to the US in 1809 and married another Swede in the Delaware valley where he was a River pilot..

I still cannot understand why Living_DNA did not pick any of that up..I have at least 25 4th cousins from this pair directly back to that couple and not any other non-Swedish descendant.. same segments..

Also 23andme is having great difficulty working with the V5 Chip which is the same( more or less) and this one..
A known cousin at 23andme matches my granddaughter and my sister and not me and not my son ( granddaughter's father).. It is MY DNA they match.. SMH
Many experts are worried about the imputing which is not correct..

No testing company is fool proof..My 2 ;) cents

10-25-2017, 01:33 PM
I see today that I have at least 4 new Swedish 4th cousins.. My 3rd great grandfather Charles Swanson ( Carl Swenson) came to the US in 1809 and married another Swede in the Delaware valley where he was a River pilot..

I still cannot understand why Living_DNA did not pick any of that up..I have at least 25 4th cousins from this pair directly back to that couple and not any other non-Swedish descendant.. same segments..

Also 23andme is having great difficulty working with the V5 Chip which is the same( more or less) and this one..
A known cousin at 23andme matches my granddaughter and my sister and not me and not my son ( granddaughter's father).. It is MY DNA they match.. SMH

Hi Kathlingram
Are you talking about your downloaded results, and uploaded to Gedmatch Genesis? as Living DNA relative matching is not available yet (at least not for me)

Kathlingram
10-25-2017, 03:07 PM
Hi Kathlingram
Are you talking about your downloaded results, and uploaded to Gedmatch Genesis? as Living DNA relative matching is not available yet (at least not for me)

No 23andme had V5 ( same chip as Living_DNA) completed in August and there are problems with imputation..
This that I am describing is a problem comparing V2,V3,V4 to V5..at 23andme but with matches known to me from elsewhere..Gedmatch,AncestryDNA,FTDNA
A recent post while I was away by TL Dixon who hosts the "Waiting Wishing" monthly thread at 23andme says his His V5 matches are a disaster

Supposedly V5 to Living_DNA version of that chip is not terribly off but Cross Company/Platform matches are not good.. sometimes non-existant and sometimes a generation or so closer..

Also some KNOWN ethnicities are way off also.. Phasing is not good..

Many people would find it odd to only look at Living_DNA matches within the system.. It is all about Cross Platform for many people
My prediction is that they are having trouble with cousin matching, which is why they handed it off to John Olsen and Curt at GEdmatch
... and if it IS 1st Q 2018 it will be a mess.. and they are not staffed enough to answer all questions.. I know they look at other forums as the Admin has contacted me more than onve.. My point in testing here was to refine my ancestral areas.. That has clearly not happened
Just wondering what others think..

ollie444
10-26-2017, 11:30 AM

So you are roughly 6.25% Swedish? It's not impossible that you didn't inherit any Swedish on the markers that LivingDNA test for. Can you remind me of your results please?

Kathlingram
10-26-2017, 10:22 PM
So you are roughly 6.25% Swedish? It's not impossible that you didn't inherit any Swedish on the markers that LivingDNA test for. Can you remind me of your results please?

That is very possible..I got 2 more Swanson 4th cousin matches today but possible it is some of the Scotland 19444

Kathlingram
10-26-2017, 10:23 PM

That is very possible..I got 2 more Swanson 4th cousin matches today but possible it is some of the Scotland 19444 or the Orkney which was quite tiny

UGH..Sorry I did that twice.. wish someone could DELETE for me :hug:

ollie444
10-27-2017, 11:41 AM
That is very possible..I got 2 more Swanson 4th cousin matches today but possible it is some of the Scotland 19444 or the Orkney which was quite tiny

UGH..Sorry I did that twice.. wish someone could DELETE for me :hug:

Thanks. I believe Living DNA might be doing a Swedish project, I wonder if that would sway your results away from 100% GB. You might have to wait a while though! :\

Kathlingram
10-27-2017, 12:15 PM
Thanks. I believe Living DNA might be doing a Swedish project, I wonder if that would sway your results away from 100% GB. You might have to wait a while though! :\

It is of course quite possible that my Captain Charles (Carl) Swanson(Swensen) was admixed.. Baltic perhaps.. they were seafarers into US.. his "Brother" (my assumption it is his brother as they are in Southwark Philadelphia together c. 1830) His brother Andrew Swanson/Swenson and another "Swede" were impressed off a US Ship by the British in 1796 and recovered and then stayed in Philadelphia

A researcher at Swedish records told me that they were likely part of the "Old Swedes" Swansons.. Did they live there and go back? Who did they marry earlier?
I don't have those answers..

What I DO know is that my Rementer Honaker Mayer Norbeck line ( all related) were Palatinates who came down the Rhine c. 1740-50s and that Charles Swanson and his wife were Swedish so SOME small piece of my Genome is surely NOT from UK..
Even 5-8% elsewhere would make sense to me.. but perhaps it is now gone from my genome and sister's ( my only sibling

C J Wyatt III
10-27-2017, 03:39 PM
It is of course quite possible that my Captain Charles (Carl) Swanson(Swensen) was admixed.. Baltic perhaps.. they were seafarers into US.. his "Brother" (my assumption it is his brother as they are in Southwark Philadelphia together c. 1830) His brother Andrew Swanson/Swenson and another "Swede" were impressed off a US Ship by the British in 1796 and recovered and then stayed in Philadelphia

A researcher at Swedish records told me that they were likely part of the "Old Swedes" Swansons.. Did they live there and go back? Who did they marry earlier?
I don't have those answers.

He very well could be admixed. In early Colonial America, the male-female ratio was badly out of balance. Men would marry whoever they could find, not necessarily from their own ethnic group (your could always make up a family tree for the wife).

Jack Wyatt

rwtodd
11-20-2017, 04:07 PM
The biggest discrepancy in my results was totally missing my Swedish connection. My maternal grandmother is 100% Swedish and not even the Complete analysis was able to pick it up. Perhaps the LivingDNA analysis is too Anglo-centric?

Wing Genealogist
11-20-2017, 10:41 PM
I have the opposite problem with Living DNA. They have given me 20% Scandinavian, and all of my known ancestry comes from the British Isles. I do have a possible connection with New Sweden Colony in Delaware, but this connection dates back to the 1700's, which is way too far back to give me 20% Scandinavian.

On another thread, folks were commenting about the fact it is basically impossible to tell apart the "Anglo-Saxons" in England from Denmark, etal, because they both are based on the same original population. This is almost certainly where my high Scandinavian percentage must be coming from.

ollie444
11-21-2017, 11:07 AM
I have the opposite problem with Living DNA. They have given me 20% Scandinavian, and all of my known ancestry comes from the British Isles. I do have a possible connection with New Sweden Colony in Delaware, but this connection dates back to the 1700's, which is way too far back to give me 20% Scandinavian.

On another thread, folks were commenting about the fact it is basically impossible to tell apart the "Anglo-Saxons" in England from Denmark, etal, because they both are based on the same original population. This is almost certainly where my high Scandinavian percentage must be coming from.

I don't know, most of us British folks have 95-100% Great Britain and NI. Are you sure there couldn't be something in it?

Wing Genealogist
11-21-2017, 11:26 AM
I don't know, most of us British folks have 95-100% Great Britain and NI. Are you sure there couldn't be something in it?

I am as certain as I can be. I have been able to trace all of my ancestry back 7 generations and most of my ancestry back to the early 1600's. In addition, I have found autosomal DNA matches to all of my great-great-grandparents and virtually all of my 3 great-grandparents, so I know I don't have any "non-paternal events" at that level.

I have also seen other folks with British Isles ancestry show Scandinavian results at Living DNA as high as 39%, so I am not a unique case.

As I reported earlier, the only possible Scandinavian ancestry I can theorize is with the New Sweden Colony in Delaware. My 3 great-grandfather, Jesse Pierce Wing (who was a farmer in the backwoods of Western Maine) somehow wooed and married a lady from New Castle County, Delaware circa 1840. How and why this occurred is beyond me (but that's another story). The lady was Sarah Jane Singles, born in Delaware in 1818. I have the names of both of her parents, and her paternal grandfather came from England, but there is a possibility some of her ancestry may have come from the New Sweden Colony in the area. All of my other ancestry was in locations where there were no Scandinavian immigrants (at least none that I know of during the time periods when they lived in that area).

The above being said, there is no possible way any Scandinavian ancestry she may have would cause me (six generations later) to have 20% Scandinavian. In addition, every other autosomal test I have taken (23andMe, Ancestry, Family Finder) and transfers (Gedmatch, My Heritage) give a MUCH smaller Scandinavian background (from 3-10%) which is still too high.

ADW_1981
11-21-2017, 01:41 PM
I am as certain as I can be. I have been able to trace all of my ancestry back 7 generations and most of my ancestry back to the early 1600's. In addition, I have found autosomal DNA matches to all of my great-great-grandparents and virtually all of my 3 great-grandparents, so I know I don't have any "non-paternal events" at that level.

I have also seen other folks with British Isles ancestry show Scandinavian results at Living DNA as high as 39%, so I am not a unique case.

As I reported earlier, the only possible Scandinavian ancestry I can theorize is with the New Sweden Colony in Delaware. My 3 great-grandfather, Jesse Pierce Wing (who was a farmer in the backwoods of Western Maine) somehow wooed and married a lady from New Castle County, Delaware circa 1840. How and why this occurred is beyond me (but that's another story). The lady was Sarah Jane Singles, born in Delaware in 1818. I have the names of both of her parents, and her paternal grandfather came from England, but there is a possibility some of her ancestry may have come from the New Sweden Colony in the area. All of my other ancestry was in locations where there were no Scandinavian immigrants (at least none that I know of during the time periods when they lived in that area).

The above being said, there is no possible way any Scandinavian ancestry she may have would cause me (six generations later) to have 20% Scandinavian. In addition, every other autosomal test I have taken (23andMe, Ancestry, Family Finder) and transfers (Gedmatch, My Heritage) give a MUCH smaller Scandinavian background (from 3-10%) which is still too high.

According to PoBI, didn't people in NE Scotland and Orkney have a correlation to Sweden/Norway? This would be the Scandinavian category. I'm not sure if Danish is lumped in here, that might fall in the Germanic category, or with SE England.

ollie444
11-21-2017, 01:43 PM

Interesting. I wonder if there is a particular location of Anglo-Saxon England that triggers these false Scandinavian results? My grandfather and I both got 100% British - I'll see what my mother gets in a couple of weeks.

Wing Genealogist
11-21-2017, 01:57 PM
According to PoBI, didn't people in NE Scotland and Orkney have a correlation to Sweden/Norway? This would be the Scandinavian category. I'm not sure if Danish is lumped in here, that might fall in the Germanic category, or with SE England.

According to my "paper trail" genealogy, I have just under 7% of my ancestry from Scotland (the whole country, not one region). I don't know of the Country of Origin for almost 20% of my ancestry, and assuming their breakdown is similar to the breakdown of my known ancestry, it would cause my percentage of ancestry from Scotland to increase to almost 8.5%.

This would still be far too low to account for the 20% Scandinavian score. I have reached the conclusion I scored so high due to the fact my immigrant ancestors came from throughout the British Isles (rather than being mainly local to one region). The lack of a "fine-scale" reading apparently makes my results look more like Scandinavian results (which likely also currently suffers from the lack of "fine-scale" estimates at Living DNA). It is possible that in the future, IF they develop various projects for the Scandinavian countries, it would be determined that my DNA doesn't really match any specific area there, either.

EDIT: I have created a simply spreadsheet showing my "paper-trail" origins as well as the predicted origins from various autosomal DNA tests. This spreadsheet is available at: https://app.box.com/s/n90sci64oltku0joruteogff1wqugj6r

Pylsteen
11-21-2017, 02:00 PM
It's also high in the Netherlands, I got 19% Scandinavian (and 68% British, but only 1,5% Germanic!), though I am not from the north, and have only a handful of Swedes in the 17th century. I can understand if they used more Danes than Swedes, for example. I guess it is one of those Germanic elements which ended up in several (West)-Germanic people, who are now difficult to distinghuish from each other.

Wing Genealogist
11-21-2017, 02:01 PM
Interesting. I wonder if there is a particular location of Anglo-Saxon England that triggers these false Scandinavian results? My grandfather and I both got 100% British - I'll see what my mother gets in a couple of weeks.

As I replied above, I don't think there is a particular area where "Anglo-Saxon" England triggers false Scandinavian results. Rather, it it the fact my DNA isn't specific to any one area which causes their program to think I have ancestry from outside of the "Isles".

ollie444
11-21-2017, 03:10 PM
As I replied above, I don't think there is a particular area where "Anglo-Saxon" England triggers false Scandinavian results. Rather, it it the fact my DNA isn't specific to any one area which causes their program to think I have ancestry from outside of the "Isles".

Would it not be listed as unassigned then?

Wing Genealogist
11-21-2017, 05:49 PM
Would it not be listed as unassigned then?

You would think so, but it isn't (at least in my case). The 20% Scandinavian is in both Complete & Standard modes. In Cautious Mode, it assigns this 20% to Northwestern Europe-related ancestry, which for me would be more accurate. In Standard Mode my Unassigned Great Britain & Ireland is 5.9%, which disappears in Complete mode (and is scattered throughout the Isles).