PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry DNA match lists may be changing

Little bit
10-26-2017, 06:18 PM
The number of pages of matches is no longer visible for myself and other people from one of my Facebook genealogy groups. A member called Ancestry and the rep suggested that Ancestry might be removing inactive accounts though we are skeptical of that and no one can say if that is happening, or not. Another member said that new customers are being given the option of opting out of DNA matching, too. The rep seemed to indicate these changes are in tandem with the other changes to Ancestry DNA results in genetic communities and for some, further clarification of some ethnicity inputs. Checking my 4 accounts, most changes are more cosmetic and we haven't gotten any new genetic communities nor have we gotten any further clarification of ethnicity. The rep indicated that the change over is slow and it appears different people are being affected by different changes so far.

geebee
10-27-2017, 01:11 AM
For whatever it's worth, I think I still have the same number of pages I did right before Ancestry stopped saying how many I have: 389. If I click to go to the next page, I get "No matches found".

I haven't seen any other changes so far, other than a cosmetic change to "Discover Your DNA Story". Ancestry is no longer showing anything about my "Genetic Communities" at that level, though they're still present is I click on the tab.

Osiris
10-27-2017, 01:55 AM
Another member said that new customers are being given the option of opting out of DNA matching, too. I hope not.

JenneR
10-27-2017, 06:15 AM
Noticed that the pages in my match list disappeared yesterday. It would be a huge disappointment if ancestry lets people opt out of matches.

Little bit
11-03-2017, 10:12 PM
It's official: New customers and old customers are given the option to opt out of DNA matching:
https://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2017/11/02/continued-commitment-to-customer-privacy-and-control/

Osiris
11-04-2017, 01:20 AM
That sucks. I think you'll see quite a few people who will drop in to scrape their matches and then pop back out since it says you can change your mind at anytime. Hopefully none of those people are people I'm looking for.

Loderingo
11-04-2017, 11:59 AM
Regarding this change, I would bet this is connected to GDPR. In May next year the EU is introducing stringent new privacy and data protection laws and any company doing business in the EU will have to comply. This still includes the UK even though we are leaving.

Companies are taking this very seriously as there is a maximum fine for non-compliance of 20 million Euros or 4% of global turnover

Opium
11-05-2017, 10:22 AM
Nothing new. Ancestry has privacy, e.g. private trees. Slow about the DNA.

Wing Genealogist
11-08-2017, 10:48 PM
It's official: New customers and old customers are given the option to opt out of DNA matching:
https://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2017/11/02/continued-commitment-to-customer-privacy-and-control/

I have noted where the number of Shared Ancestor Hints has gone down a bit for me (from 467 to 461) Since this notice came out. However, to date ALL of these folks were folks who had private trees, so I wasn't able to see where we matched anyways. In addition, the number of 4th cousins or closer (680) have not changed.

I have already logged elsewhere when I am able to see (or determine) ancestry matches, so even if one of them opts out of DNA matching, I already have the information.

RobinBMc
11-09-2017, 05:08 PM
Every other company allows customers to opt out of DNA matching with other testers. It's only right people be given control over their own DNA and whether it gets matched with other people or not.

The Legal Genealogist said it well - unfortunately I can't post a link to the article in question, but this is what she said about it:

"we all have to understand and accept that we don’t have a right to access other people’s DNA results just because they happened to test at the same company. Many people take DNA tests for reasons other than connecting with family, and the fact that we’d like to see (and benefit from) their test results doesn’t override their interests and their concerns in their own data.
Now look… I’m a genealogist. More, I’m a genealogist with a ton of brick walls in my own family research. I’d like everybody on the face of the earth to DNA test and to make their results widely accessible. I’m as frustrated as anybody else when I want to see test results and can’t, or even want to see an online tree and can’t.
But I don’t have a right to demand access to everyone else’s DNA results just because I’d like to see them, just because they might help me in my own research quest.
I accept — however reluctantly — my ethical obligation to “respect all limitations on reviewing and sharing DNA test results imposed at the request of the tester.”"

MacEochaidh
11-25-2017, 02:39 AM
This is horrible. I've lost many important matches.

RobinBMc
11-25-2017, 04:38 PM
Yes, it's disappointing - I lost my closest match after my parents and grandfather. This match was the key to figuring out who my grandfather's bio father was. Fortunately, even though that match never responded to my communications and didn't have a tree, I was able to figure out who they were in the bio tree and confirm my grandfather's bio father so I don't really need the match anymore. But it's still a shame I've sort of lost that evidence/proof now. I know who his bio father was now, but proving it to someone else would be impossible without this match. I think I may have spooked them away with my message and talk of finding my grandfather bio father. Lots of people seem to be paranoid that stuff like this is a "scam" or "someone looking for money". :rolleyes: All I want is to know where my grandfather came from.

But however disappointing it is, it's still that person's right to do so. It is their DNA, and I have no right to it. I think people are only upset about this because they are seeing matches disappear. At other companies, no one complains about the ability to opt out of matching, because most people do it during registration of their kit - so it's rare when you see matches disappear. It's more often that they simply never show up, and therefore you never know about them. Theoretically, there could be some super close, important matches who have already tested at the same company, but you have no clue because they never opted into matching. But no one is upset about that because they have no way of knowing! Going forward, that's probably what will happen at AncestryDNA too and people will forget about this and move on.

Baltimore1937
06-04-2018, 08:49 AM
Out of curiosity, I laboriously went page by page back as far as I could go in my Ancestry matches list. I got back to page 596! With 50 matches per page that's 29,800 matches and it obviously will keep going. All of the matches are at the moderate confidence level or better.