PDA

View Full Version : Gluten intolerance absent celiac?

AJL
08-21-2013, 05:19 PM
http://www.bmj.com/content/345/bmj.e7907?ath_user=nhsrshare001&ath_ttok=%3CUMoP6qP4mBwnRK0qEQ%3E

I don't do too well on wheat, have tested negative for celiac, and show high risk for one of the predictors of celiac at 23andme, so I found this interesting.

utR!
08-21-2013, 05:36 PM
Hi AJL!

I have been thinking lately about wheat allergy is it something to do with coelic disease?

utR!

AJL
08-21-2013, 05:51 PM
They're related but not the same. Allergy to wheat protein should usually result in classic food allergy symptoms, I think (hives, eczema rash, breathing trouble, etc). There's a different immune response with celiac.

ilmari
08-22-2013, 10:17 PM
http://www.bmj.com/content/345/bmj.e7907?ath_user=nhsrshare001&ath_ttok=%3CUMoP6qP4mBwnRK0qEQ%3E

I don't do too well on wheat, have tested negative for celiac, and show high risk for one of the predictors of celiac at 23andme, so I found this interesting.

This is what I've been looking for, thanks!

AJL
08-22-2013, 10:36 PM
You're quite welcome. As you know, through luck of the draw my immune system is not un-Finnish.

AJL : Marko H 85.37%

:)

Tomasso29
12-20-2013, 06:15 PM
About a month ago as I was eating Pizza for lunch in my car and listening to AM radio. By accident Dr Davis (The author of Wheat Belly) was on talking about how our bodies don't do too well on foods with gluten in them. I never bought his book or anything but decided to go wheat free for a few days. Obviously it was harder than anticipated since there are so many products in the market with wheat in them. Still, I decided to do my best to stick with it for a couple of days. Within 2 to 3 days I noticed my energy level go through the roof and I started feeling better in general.

It has been a bit over month since I have not had any gluten foods and I lost 10 pounds without even trying to lose any weight. So something tells me the wheat we're eating certainly does not help.

DMXX
12-20-2013, 09:26 PM
IIRC, around 70% of North American adults were shown to have some form of gluten intolerance (not necessarily full-blown intolerance which if of course coeliac disease).

I don't know if the figure's genuinely that high and there's a lot of controversy in the fitness world surrounding gluten. Some believe gluten intolerance is over-hyped and the resurgence of things like the paleo diet are nothing more than cyclical fads. On the other end of the spectrum, you have folks who perceive there to be a conspiracy in the food industry and we're all brainwashed to eat something that isn't good for us.

When it comes to food handling it's easiest to just speak about our own experiences. I have no problems with gluten that I can surmise. In fact, when I did attempt the paleo diet last year, I felt listless, constantly hungry (despite consuming enough calories) and simply didn't feel right. A big bowl of oat porridge in the morning gives me all the energy I need. I think this supports 23andMe's report on gluten intolerance; most of my alleles seem to be protective against it.

Gluten isn't exactly an essential food source, so minimising or avoiding it isn't too difficult, especially in the West. Even Dominoes Pizza do a gluten base over here for the same price. I feel for the gluten intolerant in emerging countries, where gluten-rich foods are popular (pizza is a good example!) but the awareness concerning its intolerance isn't there.

pixie007
01-28-2014, 04:58 PM
I don't know if this helps, but my daughter was having problems for years and we both took part in a celiac study when she was tiny at Children's Hospital in LA. She came back negative and I had a few markers. Years later we learned that, after she had tested negative for both celiac and gluten, that she is positive for Gliden, the "other" protein that is rarely checked, but is found in nearly everything that gluten is in. She went off Gliden (i.e., Glutens) and is fine today. Also, we learned rather recently, that being on a gluten-free diet within 6 weeks of testing for these things will produce false-negative test results in most cases. Live and learn as they say.
Beth

vettor
01-29-2014, 12:43 AM

Awaiting my results, but doctor mentioned using spelt flour .........