PDA

View Full Version : Whoa! AncestryDNA just added 124 more Ethnic Regions

cv98
11-03-2017, 06:29 AM
So cool! Now there's 150 ethnic regions compared to the 26 they used to have. I counted about 29 different ethnic regions within America. So glad they did this!

Do you think people who've already bought Ancestry DNA kits before the 124 regions were added will get a chance to see updated results?

jortita
11-03-2017, 06:59 AM
No new regions for Asia

Dorkymon
11-03-2017, 08:42 AM
So cool! Now there's 150 ethnic regions compared to the 26 they used to have. I counted about 29 different ethnic regions within America. So glad they did this!

Do you think people who've already bought Ancestry DNA kits before the 124 regions were added will get a chance to see updated results?

Do you have a link to those regions?
Can't find anything about this update.

firemonkey
11-03-2017, 08:53 AM
Are we talking about genetic communities?

lukaszM
11-03-2017, 08:55 AM
Where is map of list of those new regions? Seems interesting.

lukaszM
11-03-2017, 08:58 AM
Wow. I found. There are even Polish regions! Probably it will be my Xmas gift for myself.

https://www.ancestrycdn.com/support/us/2017/11/list.png

MacUalraig
11-03-2017, 09:00 AM
Yes but they also have 124 less Genetic communities...

Someone correct me if I have this wrong but they have renamed the GCs as regions (or sub-regions) on the top level display and you can see the list by clicking 'See all 150+ regions'.
However when I go to my match list they still have a filter 'genetic communities'.

I think I preferred it before.

lukaszM
11-03-2017, 09:02 AM
Saxony, Iowa & Illinois :)

mwauthy
11-03-2017, 02:42 PM
My father only has documented ancestors from the same small area of Wallonia Belgium for the last 350 years. He even scores 66% Europe West which is far higher than the average of 47% for that region.

However, he does not belong to any of the Belgian or Europe West sub regions. I would think that if you are that homogenous it would be even more likely to belong to a genetic community. I wonder what genes they are considering ďBelgian?Ē

AJL
11-03-2017, 02:52 PM
Has anyone else actually been placed in any sub-region? I can see all of them but none of my regional proportions are broken down into sub-regions yet.

MacUalraig
11-03-2017, 02:58 PM
Has anyone else actually been placed in any sub-region? I can see all of them but none of my regional proportions are broken down into sub-regions yet.

Yes, same as my top level GC groupings namely 'Scotland' and 'Northern England & the Midlands'.

mwauthy
11-03-2017, 03:33 PM
Yes, same as my top level GC groupings namely 'Scotland' and 'Northern England & the Midlands'.

My sub region or ďmigrationĒ has not been assigned any type of percentage. Ironically, my momís sub region is labeled French Settlers to the St Lawrence yet she received less than 1% Europe West. They really need to break up and relabel that whole Europe West category. It makes it look like her French Canadian ancestors came from Great Britain or Ireland.

MacUalraig
11-03-2017, 03:36 PM
My sub region or “migration” has not been assigned any type of percentage. Ironically, my mom’s sub region is labeled French Settlers to the St Lawrence yet she received less than 1% Europe West. They really need to break up and relabel that whole Europe West category. It makes it look like her French Canadian ancestors came from Great Britain or Ireland.

Herein lies the problem - they used quite different logic to determine ethnicity and GCs and there is no guarantee they would line up at all. I am wondering what they will do when they get someone in a GC but not in the 'parent' ethnicity region?

lukaszM
11-03-2017, 03:46 PM
Maybe sub-regions are only for new users?

Dibran
11-03-2017, 03:48 PM
Wow. I found. There are even Polish regions! Probably it will be my Xmas gift for myself.

https://www.ancestrycdn.com/support/us/2017/11/list.png

Update should apply to everyone. New testers get it first, old testers are being upgraded. Mine was just upgraded Yesterday.

Me:

84% Europe South(Greece/Albania/Turkey Cluster)
15% Europe East(undefined/broad cluster)
1% Finnish/Northwest Russia(I donno where that came from lmao)

My Mother:

76% Europe South(Greece/Albania/Turkey Cluster)
20% Europe East(Northeast Italy/Croatia/Bosnia & Herzegovina Cluster)
4% Caucusus

I assume my Europe East cluster is the same as my mom. For whatever reason they couldn't find the closest match for that component and placed me into general Europe East.

Dibran
11-03-2017, 03:50 PM

Still upgrading. Mine was updated yesterday.

lukaszM
11-03-2017, 03:56 PM
Still upgrading. Mine was updated yesterday.

Do you have map? Can you post?

ollie444
11-03-2017, 03:59 PM
They appear to still functionally be genetic communities, as I have not been assigned any percentage to them.

ollie444
11-03-2017, 04:00 PM
THis is better done now though: 19523

FionnSneachta
11-03-2017, 04:05 PM
Are they not just genetic communities integrated into the ethnicity? Maybe there's new communities but the sub-communities in Connacht Ireland haven't changed anyway. These new regions (that used to be genetic communities) are not completely based on people's DNA. It's based on DNA, matches and trees. It's a great feature but they're not the same as larger regions such as Ireland, Great Britain, etc. This update hasn't given me any new information that I didn't know since the genetic communities were introduced in March. I could always see that Connacht was my genetic community with North Connacht and Galway making up the sub-community. I think that they're changing the way it's presented to compete with the likes of Living DNA except that Living DNA is purely based on DNA.

The new way that it's being presented seems a bit misleading to new testers. It looks like your DNA alone has been matched to this region. The only difference in presentation is that they don't give these new 'regions' percentages. I do like Ancestry DNA since my results have been accurate but this is nothing new since the introduction of genetic communities. I definitely like that it's easier to see your sub-communities but I wish that they were still presented as genetic communities.

Dibran
11-03-2017, 04:29 PM

Sure,just need a bit of time.

Dibran
11-03-2017, 04:46 PM

me:

mom:

forgot dropdown for mom. low confidence is actually 3 percent Caucusus, and <1 Ashkenazi.

sktibo
11-03-2017, 05:00 PM
Doesn't look like anything has changed... Is the OP of this thread referring to the changes in genetic communities?

These new regions (that used to be genetic communities) are not completely based on people's DNA. It's based on DNA, matches and trees.

That's interesting, because I manage a kit with no trees or any personal data and it has Genetic Communities.... Further, when a tree is added to a DNA kit the GC's don't change at all. IIRC they did say in their white paper that they're based on DNA only, didn't they?
It's based on trees to the extent that they used peoples trees to form the communities, IIRC, but along those lines, MyHeritage is based on trees as well.
Or are you saying that the new regions (are they new regions? no real clarification in this thread yet!) are based off of trees/matches unlike GC's which used DNA on an individual basis?

greerpalmer
11-03-2017, 05:53 PM
Well this was anticlimactic. Same genetic communities just renamed as regions. Still only showing "Ulster Ireland" as my subregion even though my ancestry is technically not from Ulster and the subregion map expands well beyond Ulster.

sktibo
11-03-2017, 06:18 PM
Well this was anticlimactic. Same genetic communities just renamed as regions. Still only showing "Ulster Ireland" as my subregion even though my ancestry is technically not from Ulster and the subregion map expands well beyond Ulster.

Can you please post a screenshot so I can see what it looks like for you?

kostoffj
11-03-2017, 07:55 PM

I have not. My one GC now has 7 sub-GCs and I'm not in any of them. I have no idea why as there is definitely one I should be in. So I wonder if I've been reviewed and not enough is there to assign me to any of those, or the new categories are there and I'll be re-looked at later to see where I fit in there. It all seems very opaque to me.

FionnSneachta
11-03-2017, 10:04 PM
That's interesting, because I manage a kit with no trees or any personal data and it has Genetic Communities.... Further, when a tree is added to a DNA kit the GC's don't change at all. IIRC they did say in their white paper that they're based on DNA only, didn't they?
It's based on trees to the extent that they used peoples trees to form the communities, IIRC, but along those lines, MyHeritage is based on trees as well.
Or are you saying that the new regions (are they new regions? no real clarification in this thread yet!) are based off of trees/matches unlike GC's which used DNA on an individual basis?

My aunt doesn't have a tree either and she has a genetic community. I'm really no expert on this so it wouldn't shock me if I'm wrong. I took it that they formed these communities based on DNA, DNA matches and locations in people's trees. I thought that it was done in a way that they looked at people's trees for common locations in trees among matches. This forms communities. Shared matches to people in the one community allows someone without a tree to get a community. That could be completely wrong but it's just what I sort of picked up from the whole thing. I didn't think that they gathered DNA from small regions finding matching markers so people could be put in a community.

This is what the Irish genealogist John Grenham wrote about it:

According to the white paper accompanying the new service, a “genetic community” is simply a group of people from more or less the same place who married each other over multiple generations, a nice, loose target, and much more sensible than “ethnicity”. They arrived at their more-than-300 communities by detailed meta-analysis of the DNA matches in more than 2 million samples. Instead of just comparing my test with all the others and seeing to whom I was most related, they took all those to whom I was related and examined who they were related to. And so on and so on.

It was then possible with the aid of an algorithm for detecting densely connected sub-networks within large datasets (the “Louvain Method“, if you must know) to identify the groups most closely related to each other. They then went on to use their own online trees to associate these groups with particular locations, and then ran the whole process again and again to zero in on sub-sub-groups.

I've included a screenshot but there seems to be something wrong at the moment. There's no name given to the genetic community. I've zoomed in on North Connacht. These 'new' regions seem to be the same as the genetic communities. As far as I know ethnicity estimates are completely based on DNA unlike genetic communities.

Stephen1986
11-03-2017, 11:06 PM
If you look at the "see all 150+ regions, what are the numbers and subregions and how do they relate to my ancestry? I mean, for example, I have 15 in Ireland/Scotland/Wales, which have names like "12.10.05", which is further divided into various regions of the south of the Republic of Ireland. However, there are also some for other regions of the world where I don't have any ancestry such as East Asia, Central America etc.

I think I'm describing what is being discussed already in the thread.

Saba123
11-03-2017, 11:34 PM
Wowwwwwww typical Ancestry DNA bullshit they make tons of new, uber specific categories for the European countries but do literally nothing for the Asian countries. So annoying I was so hoping to see some new categories but I guess not.
Also, they took away the Continental breakdown which was the most accurate representation of someones DNA. And they took away the ability do see your range in categories that you did not get.

cv98
11-04-2017, 12:14 AM
Canít send links through here. If you go to the Ancestry DNA website, scroll down a little, and click on ĎSee all 150 regionsí itís on the left side.

cv98
11-04-2017, 12:15 AM
I believe this is separate from genetic communities. Genetic communities may have been beta for the new regions just added.

Elizabeth
11-04-2017, 04:23 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing my updated AncestryDNA results :)

msmarjoribanks
11-04-2017, 04:55 AM
I will give it time to upgrade, but I don't expect to get assigned to any even though I have ancestors from several of the specific regions. Too mixed, I suppose.

MacUalraig
11-04-2017, 11:32 AM
Wowwwwwww typical Ancestry DNA bullshit they make tons of new, uber specific categories for the European countries but do literally nothing for the Asian countries. So annoying I was so hoping to see some new categories but I guess not.
Also, they took away the Continental breakdown which was the most accurate representation of someones DNA. And they took away the ability do see your range in categories that you did not get.

They're based in a former European colony ;-)

Nothing to stop other countries/regions starting up a DNA testing company.

Nqp15hhu
11-04-2017, 09:44 PM
Only change for me is that the Scottish category has changed from yellow to red. I would like more clarification.

rms2
11-04-2017, 09:52 PM
What was Ireland 26% for me changed to Ireland/Scotland/Wales 26%. My Great Britain stayed at 56% and Scandinavia stayed at 8%. Weird, really, because Scotland and Wales are part of Great Britain.

My DNA communities are basically the same but with slightly different names:

Nqp15hhu
11-04-2017, 10:16 PM
I think they mean English. I think the Scots are more closely related to the Northern Irish than the English, especially the Southern English, who may aswell be another nationality.

mwauthy
11-05-2017, 01:01 AM
What was Ireland 26% for me changed to Ireland/Scotland/Wales 26%. My Great Britain stayed at 56% and Scandinavia stayed at 8%. Weird, really, because Scotland and Wales are part of Great Britain.

My DNA communities are basically the same but with slightly different names:

It is odd. My friend has a lot of Wales ancestry and his percentages did not change either when Wales was added to Ireland. No point calling the other category Great Britain. Might as well call it Northwestern and add northern France and part of the Low Countries. Combine Southern France and Iberian Peninsula and call it Southwestern. Then create a Central European category. This makes the most sense to me.

JenneR
11-05-2017, 01:16 AM
Are they only adding the subregions to new users? My Ireland changed to Ireland/Scotland/Wales and Italy/Greece to Europe South but havenít been assigned any subcategories. I can see them on the drop down menu but none are marked, the circles are all gray.

Itís strange, 88% between B&I/S/W with no subcategory? Only have 1 genetic community and the name changed slightly, from Early Virginia and ... to Virginia and...

Maybe this is their version of the 23andme broadly category, I am 55% broadly British (er English) and 33% Irish/Scottish/Welsh.

Thought at least they could pin point Wales, my Grandmother was the first non Welsh marriage in my Grandfathers line, that I have found. I have matches from Wales on Ancestry and different testing sites.

JenneR
11-05-2017, 01:33 AM
I just called Ancestry and they confirmed I wonít be getting any subregions. 55% British confirmed 25% (My grandfather on paper is 100% Welsh) South Wales back to 1600 and 31% Welsh on Living DNA.

I wonít be testing anymore of my relatives at Ancestry.

Dibran
11-05-2017, 02:11 AM
I just called Ancestry and they confirmed I won’t be getting any subregions. 55% British confirmed 25% (My grandfather on paper is 100% Welsh) South Wales back to 1600 and 31% Welsh on Living DNA.

I won’t be testing anymore of my relatives at Ancestry.

I find it odd that they would refuse you an update? They told me it was a ongoing process that applied to everyone. Difference being, new testers get it quicker, old testers are gradually updated.

JenneR
11-05-2017, 02:15 AM
She said she checked my account and the update is complete on my account and they must not have been able to place me in any of the subregions.

Iím going to call again tomorrow and messaged them on twitter. I could understand if it was a area that didnít have many subregions assigned to it but the whole Island looks covered.

MitchellSince1893
11-05-2017, 03:20 AM
I found that mine was updated but it wasn't readily apparent. At first glance it looked the same but once I clicked on the "See all 150+ regions" link and then clicked on Great Britain I saw the 4 regions for England and Wales. When I clicked on the Southern England link I then saw 3 sub regions for Southern England (Southwest England, Southeast England, and East Anglia). Similar sub regions for Wales & West Midlands, and Northern England & Midlands)

JenneR
11-05-2017, 04:37 AM
Iíve clicked on every single button and my husband has been assigned the Netherlands, I manage his account.

Itís fustrating that they say they canít place me in any of the regions.

Opium
11-05-2017, 09:54 AM
I just called Ancestry and they confirmed I won’t be getting any subregions. 55% British confirmed 25% (My grandfather on paper is 100% Welsh) South Wales back to 1600 and 31% Welsh on Living DNA.

I won’t be testing anymore of my relatives at Ancestry.

mwauthy commented earlier & I've noticed it too. My spouse is like his father, no subgroups. Others also lack in placement. No change with recent update. It seems some generational "homogenous" [same town, small region, etc.] ancestry gets "short-changed".

sweuro
11-05-2017, 10:17 AM
No spanish regions...come on.

ollie444
11-05-2017, 11:32 AM
I still think these are just the same as genetic communities. Did anyone receive any information from ancestrydna saying anything different?

Opium
11-05-2017, 11:39 AM
I still think these are just the same as genetic communities. Did anyone receive any information from ancestrydna saying anything different?

People can get no countries/subregions & no genetic communities. It's all interrelated.

MacUalraig
11-05-2017, 12:04 PM

It looks like the help has been updated if you click on the ? symbol where it says 'DNA Story'. One of the topics it leads to is

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/dna-help/communities/ethnicity-v-community

"
What types of regions are in my ethnicity estimate?

Your ethnicity estimate includes regions based on two different scientific processes: the AncestryDNA reference panel and Genetic Communities™...."

which is pretty much the point I made the other day.

JenneR
11-05-2017, 03:10 PM
There is someone on the ancestry boards that manages 10 accounts and none have subregions. This update is terrible!

kostoffj
11-06-2017, 02:54 PM
She said she checked my account and the update is complete on my account and they must not have been able to place me in any of the subregions.

I’m going to call again tomorrow and messaged them on twitter. I could understand if it was a area that didn’t have many subregions assigned to it but the whole Island looks covered.

I don't know, it's possible that we can be assigned a region but be too mixed for a sub-region to get assigned to one of those? I was thinking about that this weekend - I have the Germany & US Midwest region/GC, with a 95% confidence interval, but no assignments to the seven sub-regions under it. A lot of my ancestors came from the Southwest of Germany (and Switzerland) and went to the Midwest (Illinois and Missouri) but I have others who came from other parts (NRW, Hesse) so it's possible, I guess, with that much mixing it's not enough to trip a threshold or even perhaps the admixture from other ethnicities prevents that level of resolution. I don't have a good grasp on how they do these calculations beyond a very "one over the world" low-detail explanation.

AJL
11-06-2017, 02:58 PM
There is someone on the ancestry boards that manages 10 accounts and none have subregions. This update is terrible!

I, too, find it rather useless to have sub-regions if nobody is assigned them.

kostoffj
11-06-2017, 03:00 PM
I found that mine was updated but it wasn't readily apparent. At first glance it looked the same but once I clicked on the "See all 150+ regions" link and then clicked on Great Britain I saw the 4 regions for England and Wales. When I clicked on the Southern England link I then saw 3 sub regions for Southern England (Southwest England, Southeast England, and East Anglia). Similar sub regions for Wales & West Midlands, and Northern England & Midlands)

Did you get assigned to any of the sub-regions though? (green dot next to one or more)

greerpalmer
11-06-2017, 03:47 PM

I'm telling you people. This is not all that exciting.
http://www.anthrogenica.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19593&d=1509983149
http://www.anthrogenica.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19594&d=1509983159

MitchellSince1893
11-06-2017, 03:59 PM
Did you get assigned to any of the sub-regions though? (green dot next to one or more)

No I didn't.

Wing Genealogist
11-06-2017, 04:02 PM
I haven't got any sub-regions either. I don't know if my DNA hasn't finished the conversion process, or whether being a "mutt" (Mixed ancestry due to Great Migration emigration to New England) makes it so they cannot/will not break it down.

CLARIFICATION: I have been assigned to their "New England Settlers Group" (which is a no-brainer, since over 75% of my ancestry has been traced to the Great Migration colonists to New England). I am listed as:
Great Britain 48%
Europe West 38%
Ireland/Scotland/Wales 11%
Low Confidence
Scandinavia 3%

But I do not have any "green dots" (all of the dots are blank) under all of their sub-regions

geebee
11-06-2017, 04:52 PM
I haven't got any sub-regions either. I don't know if my DNA hasn't finished the conversion process, or whether being a "mutt" (Mixed ancestry due to Great Migration emigration to New England) makes it so they cannot/will not break it down.

I don't think being a "mutt" will necessarily have this effect. My ancestry is German, British (English, Scottish, and Scots-Irish), Irish, Spanish (Catalan), French, Swiss, and (small amount) Native American. Even so, I'm in four different Genetic Communities.

Pennsylvania Settlers -- which is almost exclusively from my father's side. This is subdivided into Central Pennsylvania Settlers; South Central Pennsylvania & Western Maryland Settlers; and Susquehanna River Valley Settlers.
Eastern Kentucky & Northeast Tennessee Settlers -- on my mother's father's side. It's subdivided into Kentucky Eastern Pennyroyal Settlers and Southeastern Kentucky Settlers.
Mid-Atlantic States Settlers -- which is primarily on my mother's father's said. It only has a single subgroup, it seems: New Jersey Settlers.
Pennsylvania, Ohio, & Indiana Settlers -- which includes folks on both my father's side and my mother's side (most of whom are on her father's side). This one doesn't seem to have any subgroups.

The groups I'm in are not surprising. I'm more surprised to not also be in any group related to the Louisiana/Mississippi Gulf Coast. My mother's mother's family was in the regions for a couple of centuries, and I have lots of relatives still in the region. This includes several half 2nd cousins who have tested at Ancestry. Plus I'm in several DNA Circles related to this area (included two or more in which my "connection confidence" is rated as "strong").

greerpalmer
11-06-2017, 05:10 PM
I'm more surprised to not also be in any group related to the Louisiana/Mississippi Gulf Coast. My mother's mother's family was in the regions for a couple of centuries, and I have lots of relatives still in the region. This includes several half 2nd cousins who have tested at Ancestry. Plus I'm in several DNA Circles related to this area (included two or more in which my "connection confidence" is rated as "strong").

This is how I feel. I'm heavily colonial american with deep roots in VA, MD, PA as well as strong genetic circle connections to my Palatinate roots and my most recent ancestors to immigrate came from Cornwall, yet I only get "Ulster Irish" which accounts for my father's distant North Irish Roots, my Mother's distant Scottish roots and my mothers recent North Connaught and North Leinster roots.

Nqp15hhu
11-06-2017, 07:59 PM
I'm telling you people. This is not all that exciting.
http://www.anthrogenica.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19593&d=1509983149
http://www.anthrogenica.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19594&d=1509983159

Haven't you got exotic ancestry! How fantastic is that?

tomz
11-07-2017, 01:14 AM
So bottom line, this is really not an update to actual ethnicity estimates because the actual estimates/percentages you receive now remain the same as before, based on essentially the same 26 regions (except one or two that are just labeled differently). They just updated their genetic communities by adding sub regions . . A bit misleading since they state that they can now "estimate your origins to more than 150 ethnic regions around the world" which I interpreted to mean as opposed to the 26 regions they offered before and that you would actually receive a percentage breakdown if you matched any of these new regions...

tomz
11-07-2017, 01:19 AM
I really don't think anything that exciting can happen again until they actually decide to update their data base and provide real updated ethnicity estimates/results.

greerpalmer
11-07-2017, 03:20 AM
Haven't you got exotic ancestry! How fantastic is that?

Haha. I'm basically 1/3 Irish, Cornish and German but the "German" is split between several ethnic groups since its central europe.

Riley
11-07-2017, 02:55 PM
Aside from the GC's getting a slight name change, not much else is different for me. If I remember right, the Virginia one was a "possible" (60%) and the Arkansas was "likely" (20%) before the new update.

19613 19614 19615

JerryS.
11-07-2017, 03:04 PM
mine hasn't changed (yet?). does anyone know when the updating will be completed for old kits so we know if a change is coming or not?

ADW_1981
11-07-2017, 04:56 PM
Seems to be accurate for me 466 relatives and 457 relatives in each region respectively

(Southern England genetic community)
Specific places in this region where your family might have lived.
South East England
Devon & Cornwall

Despite having 67% Europe West, no immediate connections to Belgium or Netherlands, and no American genetic communities despite having many, many distant connections over (4-5th cousins) at 23andMe.

genealogybugtoo
11-08-2017, 09:17 PM
I'm reading the thread at the moment but this new tool from Ancestry is confusing me. What do the numbers next to the subregions mean? And the little dots to the left aren't colored. I wish Ancestry would explain all of this. This is the only place I've found so far discussing it.

ollie444
11-09-2017, 11:18 AM
I'm reading the thread at the moment but this new tool from Ancestry is confusing me. What do the numbers next to the subregions mean? And the little dots to the left aren't colored. I wish Ancestry would explain all of this. This is the only place I've found so far discussing it.

The numbers show how many sub-regions are in a region. The dots to the left that aren't coloured indicate that you have no ancestry from the area.

Wing Genealogist
11-09-2017, 11:27 AM
The numbers show how many sub-regions are in a region. The dots to the left that aren't coloured indicate that you have no ancestry from the area.

IMHO, A fairer interpretation is that the dot's which are not colored indicate Ancestry could not determine from your DNA results whether you have ancestry from the area. I believe many folks, including myself, have no colored dots at the sub regional level. My ancestry obviously came from somewhere, but Ancestry has not (yet) been able to pinpoint beyond their overall regional estimates where my DNA ancestors came from.

I use the phrase DNA ancestors due to the fact we do not inherit DNA from all of our ancestors. Once we get beyond our great-great-grandparents, we start losing the ability to track DNA from some of our ancestors. For folks like myself, who primarily descend from Great Migration Colonists to New England (as well as folks who primarily descend from the early colonists to the Southern States), we only receive enough DNA to track from less than 1% of those ancestors.

Baltimore1937
11-09-2017, 11:53 AM
When I click on 150+ at the DNA section, I get very different results from my basic earlier ethnicities. It looks like a different person. When I add all the numbers up, I totaled 139%. When I added up just the numbers at the colored dots, I get 95%. But one colored dot had a blank after it (Iberian Peninsula). I'm beginning to think that FTDNA results are more accurate than the Ancestry results.

Nqp15hhu
11-09-2017, 03:05 PM
Um the Genetic Community percentages are the chance that you are connected to that community, not the amount of dna from that area.

ollie444
11-09-2017, 04:14 PM
IMHO, A fairer interpretation is that the dot's which are not colored indicate Ancestry could not determine from your DNA results whether you have ancestry from the area. I believe many folks, including myself, have no colored dots at the sub regional level. My ancestry obviously came from somewhere, but Ancestry has not (yet) been able to pinpoint beyond their overall regional estimates where my DNA ancestors came from.

I use the phrase DNA ancestors due to the fact we do not inherit DNA from all of our ancestors. Once we get beyond our great-great-grandparents, we start losing the ability to track DNA from some of our ancestors. For folks like myself, who primarily descend from Great Migration Colonists to New England (as well as folks who primarily descend from the early colonists to the Southern States), we only receive enough DNA to track from less than 1% of those ancestors.

Ha, sorry I was referring to the dots by the countries names. I guess you're probably answering about the correct dots by the sub-region names - my mistake.

RobinBMc
11-09-2017, 04:45 PM
When I click on 150+ at the DNA section, I get very different results from my basic earlier ethnicities. It looks like a different person. When I add all the numbers up, I totaled 139%. When I added up just the numbers at the colored dots, I get 95%. But one colored dot had a blank after it (Iberian Peninsula). I'm beginning to think that FTDNA results are more accurate than the Ancestry results.

Those numbers aren't percentages, they are merely the number of sub-groups under that category. Expand the category - you'll see the numbers correlate to how many sub-groups there are. Those numbers have nothing to do with your personal results.

They really made a mess of this, so many people are so confused. They aren't even calling them "genetic communities" anymore, they're trying to make it look like they are the same as the ethnicity percentages when they are not. New testers are going to be disappointed there's no percentage for the former genetic community groups, because now that they are within the ethnicity percentages, people are going to expect a percentage.

RobinBMc
11-09-2017, 05:01 PM
Um the Genetic Community percentages are the chance that you are connected to that community, not the amount of dna from that area.

I'm not seeing any percentage for the chance that you are connected to that community? The likelihood you are connected to that community is only expressed as "very likely", "possible", etc - not in percentages. The numbers under "See all 150+ regions" simply indicate how many sub-groups exist under that category. There's no relation to your personal results - the numbers are the same for everyone.

JerryS.
11-09-2017, 05:03 PM
So basically this is a much to do about nothing meaning that if you are 15% German or Western European they're not going to all of a sudden say that you're 20% or 10% of the same because of re-examination of that particular strand of DNA.

ollie444
11-09-2017, 05:11 PM
So basically this is a much to do about nothing meaning that if you are 15% German or Western European they're not going to all of a sudden say that you're 20% or 10% of the same because of re-examination of that particular strand of DNA.

Sub groups are not directly linked to ethnicity estimates, so no.

RobinBMc
11-09-2017, 05:17 PM

Correct. Your results haven't changed, they've just changed the presentation of them and made it much more confusing.

It's disappointing because there was supposedly an ethnicity update in the works but it never happened. I'm still not allowed to post links but there was an article on Roots & Recombinant DNA's blog about them beta testing it, titled "Coming Down the Ethnicity Admixture Pike". That was back in 2016 - and here we are with still no update. What a shame Ancestry are more concerned with moving the layout around and changing the aesthetics, rather than making updates to the actual technology/analyses that might make our results more accurate.

I think I have enough posts to add the link now: http://www.rootsandrecombinantdna.com/2016/03/coming-down-ethnicity-admixture-pike.html

MacUalraig
11-09-2017, 05:38 PM
Correct. Your results haven't changed, they've just changed the presentation of them and made it much more confusing.

It's disappointing because there was supposedly an ethnicity update in the works but it never happened. I'm still not allowed to post links but there was an article on Roots & Recombinant DNA's blog about them beta testing it, titled "Coming Down the Ethnicity Admixture Pike". That was back in 2016 - and here we are with still no update. What a shame Ancestry are more concerned with moving the layout around and changing the aesthetics, rather than making updates to the actual technology/analyses that might make our results more accurate.

Well, I would rather have the GCs (original format) than a refined Ethnicity. But I am disappointed about the recent jiggling around and 'merging' of the two though.

So I don't think "here we are with still no update" is a good summary.

RobinBMc
11-09-2017, 06:49 PM
Well, I would rather have the GCs (original format) than a refined Ethnicity. But I am disappointed about the recent jiggling around and 'merging' of the two though.

So I don't think "here we are with still no update" is a good summary.

I meant still no update to the ethnicity report/percentages, which there hasn't been. I don't consider the Genetic Communities to be an ethnicity report.

genealogybugtoo
11-09-2017, 08:32 PM
Hopefully this new feature is a work in progress and they'll start narrowing down the regions/subregions. As it is now, adding this feature doesn't help me (and many others) much. I read someone's post earlier about being a mutt. Ha! That's about how I feel right now.

MacUalraig
11-09-2017, 09:02 PM
If they try going even lower than the 'GC-subregions' they will probably end up like LivingDNA, or even worse.

RobinBMc
11-09-2017, 09:31 PM
If they try going even lower than the 'GC-subregions' they will probably end up like LivingDNA, or even worse.

True, the more specific results are, the more speculative they are. But I still think it's fun and interesting to explore. Like Oracle.

MacUalraig
11-10-2017, 07:47 AM
Looks like Ancestry did a short blog about it - followed by the usual chorus of disapproval ;-)

"Your DNA Story features a new way of displaying 150+ regions, a timeline of historical migrations, ancestors from your family tree, and an interactive map that lets you understand and explore your own story like never before."

https://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2017/11/08/your-dna-has-a-story-to-share-now-theres-a-better-way-to-tell-it/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ancestry+%28Ancestry.com+blog %29

Eochaidh
11-10-2017, 01:11 PM
Looks like Ancestry did a short blog about it - followed by the usual chorus of disapproval ;-)

"Your DNA Story features a new way of displaying 150+ regions, a timeline of historical migrations, ancestors from your family tree, and an interactive map that lets you understand and explore your own story like never before."

https://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2017/11/08/your-dna-has-a-story-to-share-now-theres-a-better-way-to-tell-it/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ancestry+%28Ancestry.com+blog %29
I miss the 'Most Common Names' associated with each group. I found that useful and consistent with what I had learned. I violated the cardinal rule of Web data in that I didn't save screen shots.

A Norfolk L-M20
11-10-2017, 02:32 PM
I've got my East Anglia & Essex back!

Can't see it at first on Ethnicity Estimates:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19680&d=1510324068

However, click on my "Southern England" GC...

http://www.anthrogenica.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19681&d=1510324108

You can see it in text on the left, and outlines with dots.

http://www.anthrogenica.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19682&d=1510324119

Select that and it's back in all of it's glory :)

JenneR
11-13-2017, 12:26 AM
Nothing new here, same single genetic community Iíve always had, that takes up 1/5th of the continental United States. Nothing from my Moms side of the family who was in the UK until the 1850ís when half emigrated to Australia and half to Ohio.

mwauthy
11-17-2017, 06:41 PM
I wonder if they will ever assign percentages to these new regions? Is there a minimum amount of shared dna you need to have to qualify for these genetic communities? My genetic community is actually half of my dna so I wasnít surprised to receive it. The same genetic community is 100% of my moms dna. Yet this difference is not noted anywhere on the website. I wonder if someone would qualify with only 5%.

MacUalraig
11-17-2017, 07:27 PM
I wonder if they will ever assign percentages to these new regions? Is there a minimum amount of shared dna you need to have to qualify for these genetic communities? My genetic community is actually half of my dna so I wasn’t surprised to receive it. The same genetic community is 100% of my moms dna. Yet this difference is not noted anywhere on the website. I wonder if someone would qualify with only 5%.

I doubt it as you aren't guaranteed to be in any GCs at all so they can't do a percentage breakdown in the same way they do for the admixture regions. The algorithms are completely different, which is why a lot of people don't like them sticking them together in the display.

mwauthy
11-17-2017, 07:39 PM
I doubt it as you aren't guaranteed to be in any GCs at all so they can't do a percentage breakdown in the same way they do for the admixture regions. The algorithms are completely different, which is why a lot of people don't like them sticking them together in the display.

Yeah it would have been better if they just split their current regions into smaller regions and then updated the eithnicity percentages. Itís a bit misleading in my opinion to state on their website that they have five times the regions as their competitors if they dont apply any quantitative information for these new regions.

MacUalraig
11-17-2017, 07:44 PM
Yeah it would have been better if they just split their current regions into smaller regions and then updated the eithnicity percentages. It’s a bit misleading in my opinion to state on their website that they have three times the regions as their competitors if they dont apply any quantitative information for these new regions.

The homepage of the UK version still only lists 26 regions...

Jenny
11-21-2017, 09:05 AM
Marketing ploy? A lot of folks will take these areas to heart

cvolt
03-07-2018, 12:47 AM
Anybody have any info about if/when an ethnicity comp update will be happening? I would be really interested in seeing that.

RobinBMc
03-07-2018, 10:13 PM
Anybody have any info about if/when an ethnicity comp update will be happening? I would be really interested in seeing that.

You mean the percentages, not the Genetic Communities? Back in Feb 2016 they were working on an update - in fact, they even beta tested it on a select few. You can read about it here: http://www.rootsandrecombinantdna.com/2016/03/coming-down-ethnicity-admixture-pike.html

Unfortunately, it seems it never happened because it's now 2 years later with no indication of it. I have no idea whether they cancelled or delayed it, or why.