PDA

View Full Version : Is Morley still a good resource for estimating Y haplogroup?

therrien.joel
11-08-2017, 06:00 PM
At some point in the hopefully near future, I will go ahead and get the FTDNA STR test done, but for the time being, I have my 23andMe v4 data and was looking to see if I could get an idea what haplogroup my Y-DNA fits in with. From what I can see online, if you only have SNPs Morley still seems to be the best predictor, even though the SNP list is from circa 2013. Is that correct?

If so, it seems apparent that I am in the R1b group, but was curious about whether the two negative matches (P227 and P236) are issues? I am attaching what look like the best fits using the experimental tree...

The best guess is R1b1a2a1a2a1b3~2 but there sure are a lot of SNPs not tested upstream of that. And what I read, it seems that this L88 SNP is thought to change frequently?

The more conservative guess, which agrees with 23andMe's assessment is U-152:

And perhaps the ultra-conservative guess is R1b1a2a1:

Any of the rest seem too upstream in the tree. It was odd seeing the comment on the top about the long list of positive markers that are ignored, but so far as I dive into this, the alphabet soup of notation makes this really hard to make sense of.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can bring some clarity to this!

therrien.joel
11-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Supposing I should have put this into the "Other" subgroup...