PDA

View Full Version : Needing advice

cfps1949
11-16-2017, 02:59 PM
Greetings:

I am a female in the United States who needs to trace both African and Native American ancestry. The suspected Native American ancestry is both maternal and paternal. However, the African ancestry must be traced through my paternal side (there is no male relative I can call upon for familial testing). I have been informed that most testing is done from the maternal side? Please give me accurate information and help me know if their is a DNA test that best fits my particular situation. I am expressing appreciation for someone's assistance with this matter in advance. Thank you CFPS1949

JohnHowellsTyrfro
11-16-2017, 05:33 PM
Greetings:

I am a female in the United States who needs to trace both African and Native American ancestry. The suspected Native American ancestry is both maternal and paternal. However, the African ancestry must be traced through my paternal side (there is no male relative I can call upon for familial testing). I have been informed that most testing is done from the maternal side? Please give me accurate information and help me know if their is a DNA test that best fits my particular situation. I am expressing appreciation for someone's assistance with this matter in advance. Thank you CFPS1949

What testing have you done so far? Hopefully there is someone here who can advise you.

Saetro
11-17-2017, 12:33 AM
Greetings:

First up, the usual DNA test is autosomal and so tracks both male and female lines, but can peter out in some lines about 5 or 6 generations back.
You may be lucky enough that it does not.
Or that you find a DNA cousin who links part way along the trail and this may help you go further.

I think you will find the advice to go for the female line is connected to male European sexual predation on slaves, so that the all-male line often tracks to a European origin.
And of course the all-female line does go back reliably a lot further (and the all-male line too).
So if you want to track the mtDNA of your father, you can do it by testing him, or ANY OTHER FULL SIBLING of his, or any other sibling who shared the same mother.
Or any child of a female who had the same mother as your father.