PDA

View Full Version : Living DNA results for a Caucasian Jew

AbdoNumen
11-23-2017, 04:39 PM
Living DNA is one of the only companies that breaks down the Middle East into components. As there are many Europe-centric results, I thought some people would be interested in seeing results from a non-European.

As far as I know, I am 100% Mountain Jewish from the Caucasus. Both of my parents were born in the republic of Dagestan. All my great-grandparents were Mountain Jews who were likely born within ~40 mi of each other.

Complete View - Regional

Europe
Europe (South) - 49.2%
[Italy colored]

Near East
Levant - 24.9%
North Turkey - 8.5%
Iran - 5.2%

Asia (South)
Sindh - 8.1%
Indian subcontinent - 1.4%
Pashtun - 1.1%

Asia (Central)
Chechnya - 1.5%

A few (biased) observations:

The ~50% European is obviously a gross exaggeration, although I don't reject it outright. I do share 0.10-0.11% DNA with Italians on 23andMe.

The higher North Turkey percentage than Iranian is surprising, since the oral tradition among the community says that we came to the Caucasus from Persia (as evidenced by our Judeo-Persian tongue).

The low Chechnya number (which encompasses Dagestan on the map) is also noted, showing little admixture with the host population.

The Indian/Sindh admixture is a bit of a mystery to me. FTDNA also shows 6% South Central Asian. However, the "Cautious" view displays the same admixture as "Blochistan-related". If that is the case, then it's possible that both our groups had ancestors in Iran or even Syria, as Baloch lore claim Western origins.

Govan
11-23-2017, 06:24 PM
I'm not familiar with livingDNA but a little bell tells me their Italian reference population is probably Sicilian or Southernmost Italian.

Sikeliot
11-23-2017, 06:25 PM
I'm not familiar with livingDNA but a little bell tells me their Italian reference population is probably Sicilian or Southernmost Italian.

It is likely to be either from Sicily, Calabria, or Campania.

AbdoNumen
11-23-2017, 07:09 PM
From what I know about Italian populations, I would agree with you both. However, LivingDNA has the following sub-regional breakdown:

South Italy - 22.5%
North Italy - 13.4%
Tuscany - 13.3%

Nive1526
11-23-2017, 08:53 PM
Here are the LivingDNA results of an Ashkenazi Jew. Not even so different on an over-regional level.
http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?9647-Living-DNA-Results&p=308473&viewfull=1#post308473

kingjohn
11-25-2017, 01:39 PM
From what I know about Italian populations, I would agree with you both. However, LivingDNA has the following sub-regional breakdown:

South Italy - 22.5%
North Italy - 13.4%
Tuscany - 13.3%

wow ....
so significant north/central italian genes very cool results :)

Geborgenheit
11-25-2017, 02:32 PM
Since when is Chechnya Central Asia ? :confused: Chechnya is basically in the middle between Western Asia and Eastern Europe.

kingjohn
11-25-2017, 03:01 PM
doesn't metter that much could be mistake by them {living dna }
only 1.5% of his total genome .;)
lest focus on the major elments here the guy is 49% southern european genetically speaking
it is in line with his my heritage results also if i remember that i saw in ftdna forum you score huge 41% greek
and 19% southeast europe in my origins 2.0
i think your southern european total genes % are closer to livind dna and my heritage than the my origins 2.0 result.
thanks for sharing your results
if you happen to have a non -jewish person from deghastan or chechnia it would be great to see his living dna results and compare what similar and what not between you and him :)
regards
adam

p.s
can you upload your raw data to dna land
https://dna.land/
it takes 24 hours usually it would be nice to see what they give you they have some southern european clusters there
balakn and south/ central europe and med islander is also part south euro cluster

AbdoNumen
11-25-2017, 05:33 PM
Since when is Chechnya Central Asia ? :confused: Chechnya is basically in the middle between Western Asia and Eastern Europe.

You're right. First, they should've categorized it Nakh/Dagestan because they color Dagestan as well as Chechnya on the map, who are (as far as I know) a different people. And second, they should've called the region 'Caucasus', definitely not 'Central Asia'.

doesn't metter that much could be mistake by them {living dna }
only 1.5% of his total genome .;)
lest focus on the major elments here the guy is 49% southern european genetically speaking
it is in line with his my heritage results also if i remember that i saw in ftdna forum you score huge 41% greek
and 19% southeast europe in my origins 2.0
i think your southern european total genes % are closer to livind dna and my heritage than the my origins 2.0 result.
thanks for sharing your results
if you happen to have a non -jewish person from deghastan or chechnia it would be great to see his living dna results and compare what similar and what not between you and him :)
regards
adam

p.s
can you upload your raw data to dna land

Are you referring to me? I'm not on the FTDNA forum.

Here are my DNA.Land results:
100% West Eurasian

Central Indoeuropean - 61%
Arab/Egyptian - 26%
Indo-Iranian - 6.9%
Balkan - 5%
Ashkenazi/Levantine - 1.5%

However, it seems to vary in our community, as my maternal grandfather gets 26% Mediterranean Islander on DNA.Land and only 25% Central Indoeuropean.

kingjohn
11-25-2017, 06:08 PM
ok sory
there was another caucasus jew results i saw in ftdna forum
he score 41% greek in my heritage and 19% south east europe in my origins 2.0
http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=42096
so i thought it was you :)
can you share with me your my heritage and my origins 2.0 results muych appricate ?
kind regards
adam

p.s
have to say your dna land is realy not inline with your liviling dna results :\
only 5% south eurpean here balkan

AbdoNumen
11-25-2017, 07:36 PM
can you share with me your my heritage and my origins 2.0 results muych appricate ?
kind regards
adam

p.s
have to say your dna land is realy not inline with your liviling dna results :\
only 5% south eurpean here balkan

MyHeritage

West Asian - 52.7%
Mizrahi Jewish - 28.9%
Middle Eastern - 16.1%
Ashkenazi Jewish - 2.3%

myOrigins 2.0

Asia Minor - 64%
West Middle East - 22%
East Middle East - 3%
Central Asia - 6%
Sephardic - 5%

I personally don't take today's autosomal results too seriously. It's quite clear the field is in its infancy. There's also no way of rating each company's rigor when it comes to the reference populations used.
If they were serious about it, they would seek the oldest lineage continuously residing in a certain location for a prolonged period of time and form a reference population with their data. Instead, it seems that every company is taking the 'lazy' approach, which is 'borrowing' from existing research. If anyone knows otherwise, please correct me.

kingjohn
01-02-2018, 04:57 PM
MyHeritage

West Asian - 52.7%
Mizrahi Jewish - 28.9%
Middle Eastern - 16.1%
Ashkenazi Jewish - 2.3%

myOrigins 2.0

Asia Minor - 64%
West Middle East - 22%
East Middle East - 3%
Central Asia - 6%
Sephardic - 5%

I personally don't take today's autosomal results too seriously. It's quite clear the field is in its infancy. There's also no way of rating each company's rigor when it comes to the reference populations used.
If they were serious about it, they would seek the oldest lineage continuously residing in a certain location for a prolonged period of time and form a reference population with their data. Instead, it seems that every company is taking the 'lazy' approach, which is 'borrowing' from existing research. If anyone knows otherwise, please correct me.

thanks for sharing
did you try kurd k29 calculator at gene plazza ?
intrested to see what a mountain jew will get in his calculator { he has iraqi- jewish refernce there}
kind regards
adam

Geborgenheit
01-02-2018, 07:37 PM
intrested to see what a mountain jew will get in his calculator { he has iraqi- jewish refernce there}

In fact, it is called Iraqi and Georgian Jews. Not sure if Iraqi means just Iraqi or Iraqi Jews.

maydonez
01-11-2018, 11:13 PM
My mum is Chechen from Vedeno, really close to your geographic region. My dad is Adyghe.
I also get around 5% South Asian results. It is higher than any other Caucasian ethnic groups' average percentage.
It seems strange to me as well. Glad that there is at least someone else from the same region sharing a similar wonder :)

Living DNA is one of the only companies that breaks down the Middle East into components. As there are many Europe-centric results, I thought some people would be interested in seeing results from a non-European.

As far as I know, I am 100% Mountain Jewish from the Caucasus. Both of my parents were born in the republic of Dagestan. All my great-grandparents were Mountain Jews who were likely born within ~40 mi of each other.

Complete View - Regional

Europe
Europe (South) - 49.2%
[Italy colored]

Near East
Levant - 24.9%
North Turkey - 8.5%
Iran - 5.2%

Asia (South)
Sindh - 8.1%
Indian subcontinent - 1.4%
Pashtun - 1.1%

Asia (Central)
Chechnya - 1.5%

A few (biased) observations:

The ~50% European is obviously a gross exaggeration, although I don't reject it outright. I do share 0.10-0.11% DNA with Italians on 23andMe.

The higher North Turkey percentage than Iranian is surprising, since the oral tradition among the community says that we came to the Caucasus from Persia (as evidenced by our Judeo-Persian tongue).

The low Chechnya number (which encompasses Dagestan on the map) is also noted, showing little admixture with the host population.

The Indian/Sindh admixture is a bit of a mystery to me. FTDNA also shows 6% South Central Asian. However, the "Cautious" view displays the same admixture as "Blochistan-related". If that is the case, then it's possible that both our groups had ancestors in Iran or even Syria, as Baloch lore claim Western origins.

maydonez
01-11-2018, 11:46 PM
Hey,

Sorry I can't respond to PM's just yet.
I haven't done Living DNA yet but it is going to be my first choice. I ran Eurogenes K36 and some other Gedmatch tests with my raw data and I always get around 3-7% South Asian depending on the calculator. 23andme showed nothing Asian but Gedmatch calculators seem to find a connection. Apparently not a direct ancestor but some of the sort.
I don't have anyone in the family history for the last 10 generations outside of the Caucasus. It seems strange. :) No idea.

Cheers

AbdoNumen
01-22-2018, 06:42 AM
Hey,

Sorry I can't respond to PM's just yet.
I haven't done Living DNA yet but it is going to be my first choice. I ran Eurogenes K36 and some other Gedmatch tests with my raw data and I always get around 3-7% South Asian depending on the calculator. 23andme showed nothing Asian but Gedmatch calculators seem to find a connection. Apparently not a direct ancestor but some of the sort.
I don't have anyone in the family history for the last 10 generations outside of the Caucasus. It seems strange. :) No idea.

Cheers

I'm getting 9.8% South Central Asian on the K36 calculator, 17% North Caucasian and 9.8% West Caucasian. The Caucasian is possible because we lived among Caucasian people, but the "South Central Asian" is a bit of a mystery.
Interestingly, neither myself, my father or paternal grandmother get South Asian on the K36 calculator.

I wish each test was transparent as for the population reference they used.

kingjohn
01-22-2018, 09:13 AM
I'm getting 9.8% South Central Asian on the K36 calculator, 17% North Caucasian and 9.8% West Caucasian. The Caucasian is possible because we lived among Caucasian people, but the "South Central Asian" is a bit of a mystery.
Interestingly, neither myself, my father or paternal grandmother get South Asian on the K36 calculator.

would you recommend on this living dna test ?
i am thinking about it :)
regards
adam

kingjohn
01-22-2018, 05:17 PM
today i ordered living dna
intrested to see there breakdown :)
it will take some time when the kit will arrived it said 14-20 days .....
i will keep you updated :)
and post my results here :
another jewish results from different diasporra groups ,,,{ aschenazi/sefhardi}

jonahst
03-12-2018, 12:12 AM
Just got my results, maybe they can be enlightening. I'm 100% Ashkenazi (half Central European and half Eastern European).

Europe 65.8%

Europe (South) 53.1%

South Italy 31.4%
Tuscany 9%
Iberian Peninsula 6%
North Italy 5%
Sardinia 1.6%

Europe (North & West) 8.1%

France 6.4%
Germanic 1.6%

Europe (East) 4.6%

Northeast Europe 2.8%
Finland & W. Russia 1.8%

Near East 27.2%

Levant 16%
South Turkey 6.6%
Iran 2%
Arabia 1.3%
North Turkey 1.2%

Asia (Central) 5%

Northwest Caucasus 3.9%
Chechnya 1.1%

Asia (South) 2%

Sindh 2%

Solothurn
03-12-2018, 04:33 AM
It is probably just noise but four companies:

LivingDNA 1.2% Asia Central, Chechnya;
FTDNA 1% South Central Asia;
MyHeritage 1.5% Central Asian;
Ancestry 1% Caucasus.

However I don't know if it is the same noise :behindsofa:

asm
05-28-2018, 08:35 PM

SCA can indicate Iranian,Turkish and native Caucasian ancestery.Any North Caucasian score 10-16% this component.As far as I can see from samples in MyOrigins Dagestanians get even 15-20% South Central Asia.