PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Eustice DNA Testers (Irish Branch R1a) under R-Z283

12-02-2017, 06:47 PM
Open letter to all Eustice family who have done DNA tests and are R1a, or its subclades.

I have done a Y67 STR test with ftdna, and more importantly the "Big Y" cost a fortune but is worth it to find out more info about our Y gene.

Firstly the Y67 still has me matching 10 members of the Eustice family.

I also wanted to tell you that your terminal SNP (i.e your haplogroup is confirmed as R-Z283)

With my Big Y result, I can now confirm that we have a new Novel Branch underneath of R-Z283, this Branch will remain Novel, until sombody else tests with the Big Y.

As a suggestion, would any existing testers be interested in getting the BigY test done?

This would be very beneficial to the Eustice family, as currently we all cluster together, and most of the Eustice family would be on this new Branch of the R1a tree, under R-Z283.

This would further Science, and the R1a tree, also the history of the Eustice family, it should also enable us to get a time of MRCA (Most recent common ancestor)

Its also definitely worth you joining the ftdna the R1a Project, as there is expert help from the Admins.

This might eventually shine a light on, if our Eustice line were indeed Normans or Norwegian Vikings or some other group.

My Best Regards

Stephen.

01-18-2018, 09:48 AM
Open letter to all Eustice family who have done DNA tests and are R1a, or its subclades.

I have done a Y111 STR test with ftdna, and more importantly the "Big Y" cost a fortune but is worth it to find out more info about our Y gene.

I also wanted to tell you that your terminal SNP (i.e your haplogroup is confirmed as R-Z283)

With my Big Y result, I can now confirm that we have a new Novel Branch underneath of R-Z283, this Branch will remain Novel, until sombody else tests with the Big Y.

As a suggestion, would any existing testers be interested in getting the BigY test done?

This would be very beneficial to the Eustice family, as currently we all cluster together, and most of the Eustice family would be on this new Branch of the R1a tree, under R-Z283.

This would further Science, and the R1a tree, also the history of the Eustice family, it should also enable us to get a time of MRCA (Most recent common ancestor)

Its also definitely worth you joining the ftdna the R1a Project, as there is expert help from the Admins.

This might eventually shine a light on, if our Eustice line were indeed Normans or Norwegian Vikings or some other group.

My Best Regards

Stephen.

This is where we currently are on the R1a tree:-

JohnHowellsTyrfro
01-21-2018, 10:12 AM
This is where we currently are on the R1a tree:-

Just out of curiosity Stephen, is much known about the geographical origins of the Eustace members in relation to Britain and Ireland? John

01-21-2018, 11:29 AM
Just out of curiosity Stephen, is much known about the geographical origins of the Eustace members in relation to Britain and Ireland? John

Hi John,

According to my Y67 matches the earliest known ancestors of these Eustice are all from the Republic of Ireland.
See screen grab below.

JohnHowellsTyrfro
01-21-2018, 12:34 PM
Hi John,

According to my Y67 matches the earliest known ancestors of these Eustice are all from the Republic of Ireland.
See screen grab below.

Ireland and South West Wales is interesting.

01-21-2018, 12:39 PM
Yeah, on the Y25, I get a Thomas, of Welsh origin, also a Tucker unknown origin, and Reid of unknown origin. Suppose Reid could be Scottish, Tucker could be English or Irish depends.

07-20-2018, 10:31 PM
Yeah, on the Y25, I get a Thomas, of Welsh origin, also a Tucker unknown origin, and Reid of unknown origin. Suppose Reid could be Scottish, Tucker could be English or Irish depends.

And now also a McDonald from Northern Ireland.
So what does the Eustace, Reid, Tucker, McDonald, Thomas, and me, have in common, and what is the likely origin into the British Isles?

JohnHowellsTyrfro
07-21-2018, 06:06 AM
And now also a McDonald from Northern Ireland.
So what does the Eustace, Reid, Tucker, McDonald, Thomas, and me, have in common, and what is the likely origin into the British Isles?

I have to be honest Stephen my confidence in speculating is somewhat reduced. In my own case owing to paternal ancestral descendants in Scandinavia I was pretty sure I was narrowing our (U106) paternal line UK origin down to Norse or Norman but at the moment the dating seems to indicate a migration from Britain to Scandinavia sometime around 1200AD rather than the other way around. So no nearer in finding out when the paternal line arrived in the UK.
It would be tempting to speculate on a Norse origin in your own case (Scotland Ireland and SW Wales) but of course that could be completely wrong. I suspect many of these population movements are much more complex than we appreciate. Good luck in getting to the bottom of it.

Bollox79
07-21-2018, 07:52 AM
I have to be honest Stephen my confidence in speculating is somewhat reduced. In my own case owing to paternal ancestral descendants in Scandinavia I was pretty sure I was narrowing our (U106) paternal line UK origin down to Norse or Norman but at the moment the dating seems to indicate a migration from Britain to Scandinavia sometime around 1200AD rather than the other way around. So no nearer in finding out when the paternal line arrived in the UK.
It would be tempting to speculate on a Norse origin in your own case (Scotland Ireland and SW Wales) but of course that could be completely wrong. I suspect many of these population movements are much more complex than we appreciate. Good luck in getting to the bottom of it.

Same here in a sense even though we have those recent Germanic migration papers (Lombard, Baiuvarii etc)... my sub group under DF98 and S1911 etc (see my signature - group S1911 and S1900/S1894 being confirmed in early Unetice culture burial at Jinonice near Prague) and the paternal line of the York Gladiator 6drif-3 etc - the dating and splitting of my little group would seem to say the same as the bolded bit there John as we have our little group that splits off around the time we have that group of SNPs with 6drif-3 and then under that, including myself, would be some probable descendants of Isles people (these are Americans themselves and no confirmed MDKA outside of America I think) and two Swedes who have a closer MDKA and common ancestor - so it makes it look like their common ancestor was in Great Britain before Sweden etc ;-).

Edit: For the record though one of the "newest" members of the S4004 group has a German and then Dutch origin.

12-16-2018, 09:57 PM
So just an update on our terminal Haplogroup
James McDonald originally from Northen Ireland tested the Big Y, and I can confirm we match. And have created a new Branch off R-Z283
So we are now officially:-
Y-DNA
R1a - Z283 - BY135739

01-05-2019, 12:39 PM
For completeness I’ll add the latest data here too,
Yfull had this down as Y128147, most recent common ancestor 750 years
And this new grouping in on the Yfull tree https://yfull.com/tree/R-Y128147/

angscoire
01-05-2019, 01:49 PM
Yay, you found a subclade and a Big Y match. Congrats.

01-05-2019, 01:58 PM
Yay, you found a subclade and a Big Y match. Congrats.

Thanks, indeed it’s been an interesting journey, with a few surprises along the way, it’s not been cheap, but worth it, and as a bonus we opened a new Branch under Z283.

ADW_1981
01-05-2019, 04:36 PM
Or was it a branch in western Corded Ware, possibly even arriving with Celtic speakers much later? (as a minority lineage)

01-05-2019, 04:54 PM
Or was it a branch in western Corded Ware, possibly even arriving with Celtic speakers much later? (as a minority lineage)

I have heard that suggested before by someone in the R1a Project, but am sceptical and think it’s more likely it came with the Normans, and originally originating soomewhere where in the Baltic, most of my other top matches appear to be poles, Estonians, Latvians, Lithuanians, Russians, Finns etc.
But of course I could be wrong.

03-06-2020, 04:59 PM

I have done a Y67 STR test with ftdna, and more importantly the "Big Y" cost a fortune but is worth it to find out more info about our Y gene.

My Best Regards

Stephen.

On FamilytreeDNA, R1a Project, my little cluster is taking off, including myself there are showing 3 people now.

M420>M459>M198>M417>Z645>Z283>BY135739

B129199 Cuthbert Davies Wales R-BY135739
548442 Richard Walsh, b. about 1810 Kilkenny, Ireland Ireland R-M198 ( This one is the newest, they are waiting their BigY result)
IN34463 William John McDonald b. 1834 and d. 1908 Ireland R-BY135739

548442 Richard Walsh
As you can see, I was wondering if this was 100% correct or mistake, as we do not seem to be a match on any of the STR markers Y37, Y64, Y111 etc.
I have been in touch with the kit owner, who will be doing a BigY for her late uncle.
I am curious to anybodys thoughts on this cluster. thanks.

I have emailed both Michal and Lukasz the Admins, but no response as yet.