PDA

View Full Version : Origins of mtDNA haplogroup U5

J Man
12-05-2017, 04:49 PM
Based on all of the ancient and modern day mtDNA haplogroup U5 results that we have today where and when does it seem like U5 originated?

GailT
12-06-2017, 05:40 AM
Not much has changed in the last few years - the four Dolni Vestonice samples show that U5 is older than 32,000 years, perhaps about 35,000 years and likely originated in Europe. The only surviving lineages U5a'b are probably a little younger than 30,000 years and originated in Europe. We would need more ancient samples to provide a more specific date and location for the origins of U5a'b.

rms2
12-30-2017, 01:30 PM
Not much has changed in the last few years - the four Dolni Vestonice samples show that U5 is older than 32,000 years, perhaps about 35,000 years and likely originated in Europe. The only surviving lineages U5a'b are probably a little younger than 30,000 years and originated in Europe. We would need more ancient samples to provide a more specific date and location for the origins of U5a'b.

Thanks, Gail.

From what I can see from looking at Jean Manco's wonderful Ancestral Journeys site, it looks like U5 appears with the Gravettians.

I was never all that interested in the Paleolithic Period before, but now I'm starting to find it interesting.

JMcB
12-30-2017, 05:48 PM
Thanks, Gail.

From what I can see from looking at Jean Manco's wonderful Ancestral Journeys site, it looks like U5 appears with the Gravettians.

I was never all that interested in the Paleolithic Period before, but now I'm starting to find it interesting.

Thanks for reminding me about Jean’s site! I’ll have to go and see what she says about my mtdna.

rms2
12-30-2017, 07:05 PM
Thanks for reminding me about Jean’s site! I’ll have to go and see what she says about my mtdna.

My dad's mtDNA haplogroup is K1a1. I'll have to check that one out, as well. He doesn't have Full Sequence, just Geno 2.0 stuff.

My wife is also a K1a of some kind. We sent her mother's sample into Sorenson back when that was free and SMGF was still operational.

JMcB
12-30-2017, 07:34 PM
My dad's mtDNA haplogroup is K1a1. I'll have to check that one out, as well. He doesn't have Full Sequence, just Geno 2.0 stuff.

My wife is also a K1a of some kind. We sent her mother's sample into Sorenson back when that was free and SMGF was still operational.

All very interesting! I refined my call from the H1 LivingDNA gave me, to H1e2. Unfortunately, there not much out there on it. Although, itís supposed have formed circa 1500 BC. At any rate, Iíll have to keep looking. Good luck on your side!

P.S. The upgrade to 111 markers is turning out to have been quite fruitful.

msmarjoribanks
01-01-2018, 01:25 AM

I think K1a is found in the samples from early Near Eastern farmers, and seems to have spread with them.

rms2
01-13-2018, 10:57 PM
MtDNA Full Sequence results are sometimes a shock.

Baltimore1937
01-21-2018, 08:17 AM
I seem to have a Paleolithic/Mesolithic mentality sometimes, inherited from my U5b2b2 I suspect. Maybe that's why I'm a birdwatcher, heh heh.