PDA

View Full Version : BritainsDNA / ScotlandsDNA / IrelandsDNA

Ann Turner
09-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Has anyone tested with these companies since they introduced their Chromo2 product with ~ 15,000 Y-SNPs?

Clinton P
09-02-2013, 12:56 PM
In a recent correspondence with BritainsDNA, they stated that they "will have started running samples on the chip in September".

I assume that results will follow a number of weeks after this.

I know of one member of this forum who has already ordered the test.

Once I know that Y-SNP S1849 is working on the chip, I'll probably order the test.

Clinton P

rms2
09-02-2013, 01:29 PM
I'm interested, but does BritainsDNA provide the sort of personal web page provided by FTDNA?

I did the old Ethnoancestry "S Series" way back in 2006, but the results were simply emailed to me. There was no personal web page.

I like Dr. Jim Wilson, though. He has always answered my emails in a very courteous, friendly, down-to-earth manner.

Another thing: although Alistair Moffat seems unpopular among genetic genealogists for his provocative and sometimes pretty wild statements, I personally enjoy them, though I don't always agree with them. They "stir the pot" and stimulate discussion, and I enjoy seeing the reactions to them. B)

corner
09-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Has anyone tested with these companies since they introduced their Chromo2 product with ~ 15,000 Y-SNPs?
I ordered the 'Chromo2 Raw' in July. This is the basic option - they send the results without the 'ancestral narrative' on a personal web page. Results are due this month. I match a DF27* STR cluster (Rox2) and some of us have been SNP testing with FTDNA on and off over the years with no luck finding any SNPs downstream of DF27 (Z196-, Z195-, L617-, Z225-, Z229-, L194-, L1231-, DF84-, DF83-, DF81-, DF79-). BritainsDNA test some novel SNPs downstream of DF27 (their S250).. A fellow cluster match already tried Geno 2.0 but was negative for all the SNPs they test for, he has ordered the Full Genomes test.

AJL
09-02-2013, 03:31 PM
I also like Jim Wilson, from personal correspondence. However when I first had my SNPs done with EthnoAncestry in 2007(?), EA returned a false positive for a key SNP, and in private correspondence with David Faux, he confided doubts in me about the methodology of the test, which may have been connected with his leaving the company.

If these QC doubts do not resurface, it could be a valuable test: though I also wonder how much better a deal Full Y (to include hundreds of STRs) might be, particularly since things priced in sterling always end up seeming higher than those priced in US dollars.

greystones22
09-02-2013, 07:53 PM
I ordered the 'Chromo2 Raw' in July. This is the basic option - they send the results without the 'ancestral narrative' on a personal web page. Results are due this month. I match a DF27* STR cluster (Rox2) and some of us have been SNP testing with FTDNA on and off over the years with no luck finding any SNPs downstream of DF27 (Z196-, Z195-, L617-, Z225-, Z229-, L194-, L1231-, DF84-, DF83-, DF81-, DF79-). BritainsDNA test some novel SNPs downstream of DF27 (their S250).. A fellow cluster match already tried Geno 2.0 but was negative for all the SNPs they test for, he has ordered the Full Genomes test.

Good luck with that. DF27* remains an interesting area in the Isles.

Solothurn
09-03-2013, 07:34 AM
Does anybody know if U152 is tested? Geno and deep FT tested and I too remain a *!

David
09-17-2013, 04:25 AM
Latest tidbit on Chromo2:

It appears that some are under the impression that the ~14k YSNPs on
chromo2 are just the 12k from Geno2 plus 2k more. This is not the case!
I checked this morning and the overlap is only ~4200.

The other thing to highlight is that chromo2-Y presents maps of the
frequencies of your Y chromosome subtype by region of the British Isles
- not offered by any other company. At present men are divided into
about 250 subtypes for this mapping, but we will increase this as sample
sizes rise.

David
09-17-2013, 04:28 AM
Does anybody know if U152 is tested? Geno and deep FT tested and I too remain a *!

Jim Wilson has stated that he made every effort to include all the ISOGG recognized SNPs that he could. He made the following statement when asked about a specific set of SNPs that is generally applicable:

Not every one of these will make it into being a manufactured, well performing SNP on the chip, but the great majority of them should.

I.e., until their QA is complete this month, they can't say for certain exactly what is/isn't included. Look at the way both P312 and L48 fell of the list for Geno 2.0.

David Mc
09-17-2013, 05:37 AM
Do the three companies share a common database inclusive of all customers within Ireland, Scotland and... "Britain?" Put another way, does it matter which company you go with?

David
09-17-2013, 06:27 AM
Do the three companies share a common database inclusive of all customers within Ireland, Scotland and... "Britain?" Put another way, does it matter which company you go with?

As far as I know, they are just different websites for the same company, so no, shouldn't matter which you order from.

--david

David
09-17-2013, 06:30 AM
BTW, I will collate and summarize results for Chromo2 for anyone who wants to send me their raw data when it becomes available -- for all haplogroups.

--david

rms2
09-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Here's something interesting about Chromo2:

What is the difference between the Standard DNA tests and Chromo 2 tests?

Kim McCallum
posted this on Jun 11 16:03

Our Standard tests look for over 350 SNP markers to determine your haplogroup and subtype and the three most common red head variants that you might carry. This test provides you with a report that links historical narrative and your DNA markers that can trace where your ancestors travelled to after their exodus out of Africa.

Our Chromo2 tests are much more advanced. We test your DNA for over 15,000 markers on the Y-chromosome and all known branches (over 3,000 markers) of the mitochondrial DNA tree. These markers have been hand picked by our Chief Scientific Officer, Dr. Jim Wilson, to test DNA markers for European ancestry Our Chromo2 test offers a brand new product, called All My Ancestry. Here we analyse your autosomes, located on chromosomes 1 to 22, in order to find out about the origins of your many ancestral lineages. Lastly, Chromo2 identifies all known variants (over 40) of red hair-determining MC1R gene, with our Red Head trait test. Please click here to see the differences between our tests in a table format.

http://support.britainsdna.com/entries/24112968-What-is-the-difference-between-the-Standard-DNA-tests-and-Chromo-2-tests-

rms2
09-17-2013, 11:54 AM
Are those all different tests that one has to pay for separately, or does one get all that with a single Chromo2 order?

rms2
09-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Are those all different tests that one has to pay for separately, or does one get all that with a single Chromo2 order?

Okay, apparently they are separate tests, but you can order the "Chromo2 Complete", pay more, and get the whole enchilada.

http://www.britainsdna.com/products/complete

It's $389 for the complete package.

Clinton P
09-17-2013, 12:55 PM
BritainsDNA offers Ethnoancestry customers the discounted price of
Chromo2 YDNA $179/139/109

Compared with Chromo2 Raw YDNA $199/160/129 for new customers

Clinton P

rms2
09-17-2013, 04:30 PM
BritainsDNA offers Ethnoancestry customers the discounted price of
Chromo2 YDNA $179/€139/109

Compared with Chromo2 Raw YDNA $199/€160/129 for new customers

Clinton P

Cool. I don't think I know my old Ethnoancestry kit number, though. Hopefully they can find me anyway. I bought the old S Series test from them back in 2006.

rms2
09-25-2013, 12:32 AM
I now have the Chromo2 y-dna test on order.

I am told my results may take a couple of months, but I'll let you all know how it goes, and I will send my results to David Reynolds for analysis.

rms2
09-26-2013, 01:46 AM
I now have the whole "Chromo2 Complete" on order, which includes y-dna (and the web page with maps, etc., that go with it), mtDNA, autosomal dna, and the "Red Head" test, which tests for all 40 MC1R red hair variants.

It seems too good a deal to pass up.

http://www.britainsdna.com/products/complete