PDA

View Full Version : U3b2a

Mudgeeclarke
09-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Any U3b'ers at the Forum. I don't see any in recent posts.

Not too many at FTDNA either .... :\

Cheers,

Baltimore1937
09-04-2013, 10:06 PM
Well, you are fairly closely related to me.

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/U5b/default.aspx?section=mtresults

Oops! Sorry. I misread your U3b2a. I thought it was U5b3...

Mudgeeclarke
09-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Oops. Too bad. I was excited for at least 10 seconds ..... :\

Baltimore1937
09-06-2013, 02:22 AM
Here's the U3 Project:

https://my.familytreedna.com/group-join.aspx?group=U3

Very educational, but apparently you have to sign in first.

Hanna
09-11-2013, 05:37 PM
My maternal grandfather is mtDNA U3b

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?1263-Maternal-grandfather-s-23andme-FTDNA

EastAnglian
10-23-2013, 08:00 AM
My maternal grandfather is mtDNA U3b

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?1263-Maternal-grandfather-s-23andme-FTDNA

I'm U3a, not many of us U3 folk out there, does get a bit lonely :( , what is the best guess on how U3a/b came to the British Isles?, is it Celtic, Anglo-Saxon or Viking?

Anglecynn
10-23-2013, 11:48 AM
I'm U3a, not many of us U3 folk out there, does get a bit lonely :( , what is the best guess on how U3a/b came to the British Isles?, is it Celtic, Anglo-Saxon or Viking?

It looks kind of Neolithic in Europe, although i don't think there's enough of it about to tell when it came specifically to the British Isles?
http://www.eupedia.com/images/content/mtDNA-U3-map.png

EastAnglian
10-24-2013, 08:50 AM
It looks kind of Neolithic in Europe, although i don't think there's enough of it about to tell when it came specifically to the British Isles?

It is quite frustrating, I think there could be some kind of indication based on U3a being found in a Early medieval Danish grave, so maybe a Danish Viking female coming to East Anglia in my case.

Mudgeeclarke
10-24-2013, 09:52 AM
As far as I have read about U3b and especially my U3b2a maternal line, the HG came up from the Levant or that general region, and mostly moved in a north then west arc into middle and west Europe. This sits well with me, as my maternal line is anchored along the Rhine, and into northern Italy. My closest "matches" seem to be from areas north and south in the major river valleys of Europe - the Rhine, Danube, etc., and it is easy to imagine why this would be the case. If I had matches in the UK, I'd be assuming they were "imported" with the Roman invasion into Britain as slaves and camp followers, or with the Viking raiders, not forgetting sea traders. But it could also be that some moved into Britain well before all of that, with the earliest arrivals of hunter gatherers. There are not many U3b2a 'ers registered so far, so it hard to get a better idea (as a non scientific lay person).

helenpal
11-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Although my mother was born in central Italy and I have found over 100 ancestors, all in central Italy, in civil and church documents, surprizingly her heatmap shows the strongest concentration in the most northern part of Europe.
I´m new at this and wonder if it´s a mistake!

helenpal
11-22-2013, 02:53 PM
I see that the following information is missing in my previous post.
My Maternal: U3b2a (L3-N-R-U)
My Paternal: J-CTS6804 (M42-M168-M89-M304-M172-L212L26-M67)

GailT
11-22-2013, 04:22 PM

Which company did your test, and is the heat map specifically for mtDNA U3 or U3b2a? If you tested at FTDNA you can join the U3 project and I can check to see if you are a close match to any subclades of U3b2a.

Most of the U3b2a samples in GenBank are from Italy, with one sample each from Egypt, Armenia and Germany.

Humanist
11-22-2013, 05:05 PM

A thread relevant to the general discussion: U3 Frequencies From Al-Zahery et al. 2011 (http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?1357-U3-Frequencies-From-Al-Zahery-et-al-2011)

As usual, the Eupedia maps leave much to be desired.

Baltimore1937
11-23-2013, 09:19 AM
A thread relevant to the general discussion: U3 Frequencies From Al-Zahery et al. 2011 (http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?1357-U3-Frequencies-From-Al-Zahery-et-al-2011)

As usual, the Eupedia maps leave much to be desired.

That hot spot in NW Ukraine/Beyloruusse (sp?) may hint at a Mesolithic refugium. That is a vast marshy area that Neolithic agriculturists may have avoided. That's just my knee jerk impression.

Mudgeeclarke
11-23-2013, 11:20 AM
"Although my mother was born in central Italy and I have found over 100 ancestors, all in central Italy, in civil and church documents, surprizingly her heatmap shows the strongest concentration in the most northern part of Europe.
I´m new at this and wonder if it´s a mistake!"

I don't think it is a mistake, Helenpal. My very closest match for U3b2a is for a GD3 match for my full HVR1 HVR2 and CR, and that is for a line back to c1725 in the very southern area of Sweden. (I have not been able to get a reply to my contact emails). My next closest match, at HVR2, is for a line back to N. Italy, (whose "owner" demands to know why I am interested in their family history) and the other of any note for me is for a very well established family history in a small village in Turkey (whose "owner" was very helpful).

I won't be able to get much out of all this until a few more U3b2a's are known.

Meanwhile, my maternal ancestry is on the southern Rhine into the 1700s at least.

I can pretty much draw a line on the few known matches, and it says "river valleys" ... :-).

Good luck with your search.

helenpal
11-26-2013, 06:28 PM
Mudgeeclark, I´m anxious to hear from you as you are the only Usb2a that I have found up to now. Do you know of any others?
My oldest maternal ancestor is Don Marco Gaglia, of Cantalupo(IS) Molise, Italy who was the head of a platoon in a battle with a nearby town in the year 1525.
Of my mother´s surnames, only 3 others, as far as I know, indicate a certain origin: Bertone-northern Italy and Shiave & Schiavitto-Slavish.

helenpal
11-26-2013, 06:56 PM
So sorry, I didn´t see your previous message, thank you for answering.
Most of my most recent maternal ancestors were from small towns in the middle of the Apennines, and there are lots of rivers and valleys!
How can I get in touch with the reluctant Italian? (On occasion I have come across a similar attitude!)
I´m surprized and intriged by the high percentage of the most Northtern European in my Mother´s line, but I´ll soon be 82 and don´t know how much longer I´ll be here, so maybe I´ll concéntrate on my father´s side. There seems to be quite a few there.
I´m pretty ignorant and don´t know what you mean by "a GDE match for my full HVR1 HVR" and CR".
Thank you, again.

helenpal
11-27-2013, 08:58 AM
I just discovered your answer as I am new as to how the threads work and thank you so for sharing your knowledge.
My test(my brother´s) is Geno 2.0 NşNGL5P9BW2L. The results are: 57% Mediteranean, 22% Northern European, 18% Southwest Asian, 2.1% Neanderthal, and 2.9% Denisovian (which adds up to 102%)
You are right. The heat map that I thought especifically for U3b2a is actually only for U.
I should like to join the U3 Project and will see to it. I´m beginning to get the jist of this and see there are subclades of U3b2a.
Is GenBank a part of FTDNA?

Mudgeeclarke
11-27-2013, 05:07 PM
I just discovered your answer as I am new as to how the threads work and thank you so for sharing your knowledge.
My test(my brother´s) is Geno 2.0 NşNGL5P9BW2L. The results are: 57% Mediteranean, 22% Northern European, 18% Southwest Asian, 2.1% Neanderthal, and 2.9% Denisovian (which adds up to 102%)
You are right. The heat map that I thought especifically for U3b2a is actually only for U.
I should like to join the U3 Project and will see to it. I´m beginning to get the jist of this and see there are subclades of U3b2a.
Is GenBank a part of FTDNA?

Hello again,

I think I know exactly how you feel and how confusing it can be - I am not a scientific person, and (like you I expect) much of my family history research was done well before the impact of the Internet, and more recently, DNA testing. I do caution you, though, that you shouldn't expect too much from DNA testing especially with the mtDNA, as the timeframe is often well before any useful period for genealogists. I tend to view it as just "one string" in the bow.

In my opinion, you should arrange to transfer your Geno2 results to FTDNA (see this link http://dna-explained.com/2013/01/13/transferring-results-from-national-geographic-to-family-tree-dna/), and after that, you will be able to see on FTDNA where you can join the U3 project. The Project admins will be able to help you forward, and will also identify the "Kit Numbers" of like U3b2a's that you may wish to contact via FTDNA.

From what you have written, I believe you do have a couple of members at FTDNA who at least have links known in the general region of N- Italy (not likely ancestors, but at least from the region). Although you are curious about your potential N. Europe results, remember that during the expansion of the Roman Empire, say, 2300 yrs ago (give or take), the Romans held territory as far north as Belgium, and then as the Empire collapsed inwards on itself leading to the sack of Rome, invaders from the north came all the way into N.Italy raiding almost every town. Given that there would have been "spoils of war" when the Romans were well north, and when the Goths et al were well south, the mixing of DNA was likely a by product. Add to that, the sea going nature of the Vikings, and trade in the Mediterranean, and there is a big melting pot !!

I mentioned the river valleys simply because if you look at the Rhine, Rhone, Mosel, and Danube, you see 'pathways' for expansion,well before the Roman times, back in the times of hunter gatherers, and agriculturalists. This early expansion into Europe is more than likely the main reason why you have an "interest" spreading from Italy to Scandinavia.

Good luck with your searches. I do recommend you get your results into the FTDNA database by transfer, and then join a project. Finally, no, GENbank is not part of FTDNA, but again, your project admin will probably suggest you send your results there, as well as 'mitosearch' which you can do from FTDNA. (The more places you place your 'signature', the better chance you have of finding matches, even if they are back before recorded names etc.) You may get very lucky, and come across a familiar 'family' name, from the region. That would be fun !

Cheers,

GailT
11-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Geno 2.0 mtDNA results are not being transferred to the FTDNA projects, so unfortunately I won't be be able to see them if you join the project. If there are specific results that you can post here or share by email, I can compare them to the U3 full genome samples, and I will check to see if you have any extra mutations that might more nearly match someone in the project or in GenBank.

Gail

helenpal
11-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Gail,
Your knowledge is invaluable and I humbly accept your help.
Will get in touch when I have more information.
Thank you,
Helen

helenpal
11-28-2013, 12:19 PM
Colin,
I greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions.
Thanks loads,
Helen

Mudgeeclarke
11-29-2013, 11:04 AM
Colin,
I greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions.
Thanks loads,
Helen

You're very welcome, and I wish you lots of luck in your search. As a fellow U3b2a'er, I know that for the moment at least we are a small group waiting for many more tests to be posted with our own very special signature subclade. Meanwhile, I will "claim" you as a very very distant cousin, and ask you to please return the stone axe if you have finished with it ... My clan loaned it to your clan when we were leaving the Levant and heading for Bulgaria. I think your clan said they were sticking to the coast and heading for Italy because they loved pasta .... :-) :-)

Colin

helenpal
12-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Very, very distant cousin Colin,
Sorry about the stone axe! It must have gotten lost by a careless ancestor. Searched through our heirlooms and it´s no where to be found. Will compensate you for it with a dish of pasta when you drop by Madrid.
I have ordered a FamilyFinder + MT Full Sequence Kit from FamilyTreeDNA and am hoping it will reveal more information.
Helen

XooR
07-06-2016, 12:55 AM
I just received my paternal mtdna as U3b2a, all known ancestry is from Laz town in Rize /Turkey.

GailT
07-06-2016, 05:54 AM
I just received my paternal mtdna as U3b2a, all known ancestry is from Laz town in Rize /Turkey.

There are two major subgroups in U3b2a. If you tested the full sequence at FTDNA you can join the U3 project and I'll compare your results to others in this group. If you tested at 23andMe you can upload your mtDNA results to mthap to check for any extra mutations that might place you in a subclade of U3b2a.

Gail

Mudgeeclarke
07-06-2016, 02:52 PM

Yes, my mtDNA is also U3b2a, and although my mother's maternal ancestry goes directly to the Rhine Valley as far as I have traced (mid 1700s), most of my matches or other U3b2a I know of have all got origins in the Levant, Turkey, and then over the top of Italy. I am surmising that the Rhine Rhone and Danube etc, provided some direction for expansion and adventure for this clade.

It is a good idea to join the various U3 groups.

XooR
07-22-2016, 06:55 PM
U3b results from open resources – GenBank.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genbank/

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee370/xoorslug/1185483_zpsfqohm5h8.jpg (http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/xoorslug/media/1185483_zpsfqohm5h8.jpg.html)

philabonites
09-07-2016, 03:29 PM
According to the geno 2.0, my results:
Mtdna: U3B2A1
Y dna: j-cts6804
Ethnic %: Asia minör 60, scandinavian 15, eastern Asia 14, Central Asia 10, natıve American 2.

philabonites
09-07-2016, 03:30 PM

Ethnic %: Asia minör 60, scandinavian 15, eastern Asia 14, Central Asia 10, natıve American 2.

XooR
09-07-2016, 03:53 PM

Welcome to the forum Philabonites, where is your maternal ancestor from? What is your first and second reference populations in your ancestry results? Thank you.

philabonites
09-08-2016, 03:56 PM
Welcome to the forum Philabonites, where is your maternal ancestor from? What is your first and second reference populations in your ancestry results? Thank you.

Giresun.

Reference populations: Georgia and northern caucasus. But my result matches these regions only in terms of "Asia minor" category. There is no correlation among other categories.

skateninja
06-06-2020, 01:11 PM
I am U3b2a. Maternal ancestors all in the UK. Can only trace back to 3rd great grandmother unfortunately. I am assuming that my Mtdna came over with the Romans. Interesting to explore all the possibilities.