PDA

View Full Version : How to get a BGA analysis from Dr. Doug McDonald?

VelvetNono
12-24-2017, 05:21 PM
I'm trying to get in contact with Dr. Doug McDonald. I remember sending an email to him, a year ago, but he didn't reply back. I didn't know if it was the wrong email address or he didn't want to reply back (for whatever reason). Is there a way to get in contact with him? I'm not exactly sure what his real email address is. If anyone knows his true email address, could anyone send it to me? Based on this website (https://isogg.org/wiki/McDonald%27s_BGA_project), he said:

"I am being swamped by requests for BGA analyses. I simply can no longer accommodate all these requests. I am, at least for a while, going to continue providing them free, if people will limit themselves to sending only "important" ones. These include adoptees looking for answers and people whose commercial analyses provide strange answers to whether they have Native American, African or Jewish ancestry.

Note that the new 23andMe "Ancestry Composition" is, on a "continent" level, essentially as good as my system. FTDNA and Ancestry are much less accurate and if you tested with them and they missed expected small bits, I still can take a look. If you are Afro-(Euro)American and FTDNA said you are part Eastern European, I'll check that. Try to describe the question you need answered.

I am still looking for special people to test as comparisons, mostly people with Native American not from Central America.

In particular, I really can't keep up with requests from essentially 100% European people unless they have special questions such as possible Jewish or Roma.

Also, if you have parents their children, please send only parents. Some people have sent me large numbers of files. If these people send more, I can look at them only if they have very very special needs.

Finally, if you got my address from some Web forum, please copy the above occasionally, as I do not frequent these."

What should I write to him in order to get this BGA Analysis/test? Based on his last statement, if someone posts his email address here, should I copy the text send by that user in my email to him? Also, should I send my Raw data (23andMe) compressed folder to him or one particular file? I'm just wondering what is the exact procedure needed to get a BGA Analysis/Quantitative test from Dr. Doug McDonald?

Thank you.

therrien.joel
12-31-2017, 12:18 AM
I got a response from him, but that was in order to check on evidence of possible Romani ancestry. It probably didnít hurt that Iím an alum of UIUC where he was a professor (never formally met him there).

That said. My opinion is that his analysis is a bit behind the times relative to other available analysis. His results were inconsistent with other analyses Iíve done/have had done. I donít think itís worth bothering with these days.

lukaszM
01-01-2018, 05:40 PM
I got a response from him, but that was in order to check on evidence of possible Romani ancestry. It probably didn’t hurt that I’m an alum of UIUC where he was a professor (never formally met him there).

That said. My opinion is that his analysis is a bit behind the times relative to other available analysis. His results were inconsistent with other analyses I’ve done/have had done. I don’t think it’s worth bothering with these days.

I think the same. What I see from recent Tomenable McDonalds' results is very shallow analysis.

therrien.joel
01-02-2018, 03:16 AM
I think the same. What I see from recent Tomenable McDonalds' results is very shallow analysis.

That's exactly what I found. His one line reply was "you are English". Now that is just a bit disingenuous. For one I am half French, which I realize likely does not separate all that cleanly from the English, but still others can do better. Lukasz, your calculators don't seem to have much issue there. The second issue is that I was asking about trace ancestry and I have come to the conclusion that a PCA type analysis won't accomplish that.

redeyednewt
07-14-2018, 07:43 PM
Is his analysis among the heritage admixture calculator on GedMatch? If so which one is it?

tomz
07-15-2018, 11:05 PM
Is his analysis among the heritage admixture calculator on GedMatch? If so which one is it?

He does not have a calculator on GedMatch or on any other site.

redeyednewt
08-02-2018, 02:27 PM
That's exactly what I found. His one line reply was "you are English". Now that is just a bit disingenuous. For one I am half French, which I realize likely does not separate all that cleanly from the English, but still others can do better. Lukasz, your calculators don't seem to have much issue there. The second issue is that I was asking about trace ancestry and I have come to the conclusion that a PCA type analysis won't accomplish that.

Thanks for the information about his DNA/admixture analysis. I also have a heritage from multiple regions/countries in Europe, and it's a shame that this supposedly professional scientist does not take this into account when analysing people's DNA/heritages.

Tz85
08-02-2018, 02:41 PM
McDonald is only interested in Jewish, fully Southern European, or "exotic" admixture.

jortita
08-03-2018, 08:27 AM
I do have somewhat exotic admixture but he has been interested in me for some reason

lukaszM
08-04-2018, 08:08 PM
Ok, but it must be said that he makes it for free so his "choices" are more understandable in such situation.

Sikeliot
08-04-2018, 11:28 PM
I also wanted to save you the trouble and tell you if you have raw data from 23andme V5, he cannot process it. I sent him my grandmother's raw data, who tested with 23andme on the V5 chip and he would have been more than happy to process it because she has one racially mixed parent and she fits the criteria for who he is analyzing, but he could not process the chip :/

Michalis Moriopoulos
08-05-2018, 03:29 PM
I'm curious what his BGAs look like these days. I had mine done back in the dark ages of 2010...

https://i.imgur.com/oSHk5Rg.png

"Pure European, but the Mideast number indicates part Eastern Europe. You could be half-Jew, half-western Europe, or pure Greek, or from somewhere like Romania. Probably not as far east as say Armenia."
Doug

Lol, we've come a long way since then.

vettor
08-05-2018, 05:54 PM
I'm curious what his BGAs look like these days. I had mine done back in the dark ages of 2010...

https://i.imgur.com/oSHk5Rg.png

"Pure European, but the Mideast number indicates part Eastern Europe. You could be half-Jew, half-western Europe, or pure Greek, or from somewhere like Romania. Probably not as far east as say Armenia."
Doug

Lol, we've come a long way since then.

mine is not that old
He placed me on the border of Italian,French and Swiss ...............but also said I have some north Yugoslav representation

yugoslav is an old term:)

https://s20.postimg.cc/wm3um10rx/233243-_BGA3.png (https://postimages.org/)

red, blue and green colours sit on top of each other................other colours do not exist

redeyednewt
08-16-2018, 04:49 PM
McDonald is only interested in Jewish, fully Southern European, or "exotic" admixture.

That's funny, those are not 'exotic' admixtures.

Tz85
08-16-2018, 06:47 PM
That's funny, those are not 'exotic' admixtures.

And what are?

redeyednewt
08-16-2018, 11:12 PM
And what are?

No idea? I just know that where I live a lot of people are Southern European, and there are lots of Ashkenazim and Sephardic Jews as well or some people are both technically even if they are Southern European since the Jews expelled from Spain and Portugal settled where their ancestors are from but just converted to being Roman Catholic in Southern Europe. It's a pretty common heritage/ethnicity where I live.

There are also a lot of Slavs where I live who are technically Jewish in that their ancestors just before the Soviets took over were Jewish, but everyone who was born or around after the Soviets took over does not practice anything with Judaism at all and they are all atheist. Some of them become extremely religious as Jews when they emigrate out of Eastern European countries that were once part of the CCCP/USSR. One of my best friends who is from the Ukraine is like this, but when he and his family emigrated out of the Ukraine since things were bad before the fall of the CCCP/USSR, and he does not understand why his mom became extremely Jewish and started practicing Judaism when they left the Ukraine since he and the rest of his family members all the way going back many generations are all Atheist.

redeyednewt
08-16-2018, 11:16 PM
And what are?

No idea? I just know that where I live a lot of people are Southern European, and there are lots of Ashkenazim and Sephardic Jews as well or some people are both technically even if they are Southern European since the Jews expelled from Spain and Portugal settled where their ancestors are from but just converted to being Roman Catholic in Southern Europe. It's a pretty common heritage/ethnicity where I live.

There are also a lot of Slavs where I live who are technically Jewish in that their ancestors just before the Soviets took over were Jewish, but everyone who was born or around after the Soviets took over does not practice anything with Judaism at all and they are all atheist. Some of them become extremely religious as Jews when they emigrate out of Eastern European countries that were once part of the CCCP/USSR. One of my best friends who is from the Ukraine is like this, but when he and his family emigrated out of the Ukraine since things were bad before the fall of the CCCP/USSR, and he does not understand why his mom became extremely Jewish and started practicing Judaism when they left the Ukraine since he and the rest of his family members all the way going back many generations are all Atheist.

JerryS.
08-17-2018, 12:48 AM
I had hoped he would analyze mine.... I'm mostly N.W. European but have some southern European from Italy but there is a question as to it originating in the Balkans.

dtvmcdonald
11-09-2018, 12:58 AM
I'm currently doing few people. I'm still mainly doing Native American and verification or otherwise of
small amounts of that or African on a base of European or East Asian. Also, but rare,
Siberian.

Otherwise I just ignore requests, which have thankfully become less overwhelming in number.

AND ... I highly endorse the new Ancestry.com system for people of mainly
European descent. At least it is sane.

I'm kept very busy with the Clan Donald project and my own genealogy.

JerryS.
11-09-2018, 02:30 AM
I'm currently doing few people. I'm still mainly doing Native American and verification or otherwise of
small amounts of that or African on a base of European or East Asian. Also, but rare,
Siberian.

Otherwise I just ignore requests, which have thankfully become less overwhelming in number.

when did this new system get implemented? mine was over a year and a half ago.

drobbah
11-09-2018, 03:34 AM
I don't think he does regular Europeans anymore.I sent him mine last year and he gave me my results within a week. 26989

mershechu
12-14-2018, 10:08 PM
I'm sorry for asking this question in this topic : is it normal to wait since February for an answer from him ? :\

ianz91
12-16-2018, 04:36 PM
I remember this guy saying he doesn't do Europeans with 23andme data because "23andme is essentially as good as my system anyways" or something like that.

Caius Agrippa
02-29-2020, 07:01 PM
Siberian.

I think I qualify for your standards: I'm mostly Southern European (Iberia, Italy) but with bits of ''exotic'' admixture (likely Jewish and certainly African and Amerindian). Can I send you my raw data?