PDA

View Full Version : Geno 2.0 Helix results

IberianHilary
01-02-2018, 07:23 PM
Need help from a genetic genius to help interpret these results. My father has passed away, and his paternal brother took the Geno 2.0 test. Trying to figure out what my fathers ancestry is. My 23andme test isn't back yet.

28% SW European *
6% Asia Minor *
4% Jewish Diaspora *
3% Western Mediterranean *
21% NE European *few
26% South China Sea
5% Melanesia & Australia
5% NE Asia
1.4% Neanderthal

Haplogroup E-L542

The * is known from his father. (His brothers mother was Hawaiian, Chinese, British).

My fathers family all come from Madeira, Portugal. No records prior to 1830.

We are surprised by the Asia Minor showing up, we also didn't know about the Jewish. Can anyone help me understand how Asia Minor enters Portuguese genetics? Could perhaps the Jewish ancestor also have Asia Minor? Or is this a Greek component? Initially I thought maybe Ottoman Empire however there isn't any MENA.

Thank you to all who has an opinion.

Dibran
01-02-2018, 07:31 PM
Someone else would better answer your question, but your paternal haplogroup is E-V13, which is most common in the Balkans. It is neolithic, and you would need a full y test to confirm your specific clade. There are quite a few Portugal samples with E-V13. Maybe he falls into a Portuguese branch. I never took 2.0 so someone else would better answer for your autosomal results.

IberianHilary
01-02-2018, 08:07 PM
Someone else would better answer your question, but your paternal haplogroup is E-V13, which is most common in the Balkans. It is neolithic, and you would need a full y test to confirm your specific clade. There are quite a few Portugal samples with E-V13. Maybe he falls into a Portuguese branch. I never took 2.0 so someone else would better answer for your autosomal results.

Yes, I wish he would take the full y but won't drop the $. Looking at the raw data however, geno 2.0 tests for all main subclades in V13 except for one, and he's negative for all. Perhaps it's that one not tested for, V23.

killaDNA
01-06-2018, 09:28 PM
Nice results! This is the first time I see someone with a Melanesia/Australia % under the Geno 2.0 Helix.

First of all, is it North Eastern or North Western Europe that you have? Because you stated your dad's brother has British ancestry and the British Isles falls under NW Europe in the new Geno 2.0 Helix. If it's NW Europe then it makes total sense since GB falls under that category.

The South China Sea, Melanesia/Australia, and NE Asia definitely make sense too as they represent his Chinese and Native Hawaiian ancestries. Chinese from what I seen score both So.China Sea and NE Asia while from what I know Native Hawaiians are a mix of island Southeast Asian (SCS) and Melanesian (Melanesia/Australia).

On the other hand, his SW Europe (Portugal/Spain) is definitely representative of his Portuguese ancestry while his Jewish Diaspora, Asia Minor, and West Mediterranean are also part of that ancestry. The Jewish Diaspora could be potential Portuguese Sephardic Jewish ancestry but that category is technically for Ashkenazi (Central/Eastern European) Jewish ancestry but that doesn't eliminate the possibility either. The West Med. (Corsica/Sardinia) should also make sense given the proximity to SW Europe. The Asia Minor is a bit tricky but given that all Europeans have ancient origins in the Caucasus mountains then it should kind of make sense (but not all Europeans or European descendants are going to have Asia Minor on Helix as it is way far back). The Asia Minor might also be tied to Jewish ancestry.

Hope that helps! Btw what are his Reference Populations and their %s and his mtDNA haplogroup?

Sikeliot
01-06-2018, 09:33 PM
Why is there no Sub-Saharan African? I thought Madeirans had trace amounts of that.

Dumidre
01-19-2018, 01:04 AM
Does anyone know how to interpret the raw data from Helix? It's not compatible with GedMatch or others... I got I-L621 on the paternal side but I would like to get deeper in the subclades...
Thank you.

jortita
01-19-2018, 03:48 AM
Does anyone know how to interpret the raw data from Helix? It's not compatible with GedMatch or others... I got I-L621 on the paternal side but I would like to get deeper in the subclades...
Thank you.

It should be compatible with Gedmatch Genesis

Dumidre
01-19-2018, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the info. I uploaded my file and I am waiting...
While I was uploading, I got a warning that the file does not contain any xDNA data... will it still work?

IberianHilary
01-20-2018, 04:21 PM
Nice results! This is the first time I see someone with a Melanesia/Australia % under the Geno 2.0 Helix.

First of all, is it North Eastern or North Western Europe that you have? Because you stated your dad's brother has British ancestry and the British Isles falls under NW Europe in the new Geno 2.0 Helix. If it's NW Europe then it makes total sense since GB falls under that category.

The South China Sea, Melanesia/Australia, and NE Asia definitely make sense too as they represent his Chinese and Native Hawaiian ancestries. Chinese from what I seen score both So.China Sea and NE Asia while from what I know Native Hawaiians are a mix of island Southeast Asian (SCS) and Melanesian (Melanesia/Australia).

On the other hand, his SW Europe (Portugal/Spain) is definitely representative of his Portuguese ancestry while his Jewish Diaspora, Asia Minor, and West Mediterranean are also part of that ancestry. The Jewish Diaspora could be potential Portuguese Sephardic Jewish ancestry but that category is technically for Ashkenazi (Central/Eastern European) Jewish ancestry but that doesn't eliminate the possibility either. The West Med. (Corsica/Sardinia) should also make sense given the proximity to SW Europe. The Asia Minor is a bit tricky but given that all Europeans have ancient origins in the Caucasus mountains then it should kind of make sense (but not all Europeans or European descendants are going to have Asia Minor on Helix as it is way far back). The Asia Minor might also be tied to Jewish ancestry.

Hope that helps! Btw what are his Reference Populations and their %s and his mtDNA haplogroup?

Whoops my mistake! That should read NW European. We believe the majority of which came from the mother. She was mtDNA haplogroup B-4A1A1M. His reference population was Puerto Rican and French.

So my confusion with these results is there is no Eastern European to denote Baltic origin. There is no ME (Arabia) or NA. As such, does that mean our E-L542 is Greek in origin?

Is there a way I can post a picture? I have a pic of his paternal grandfather and his brothers, who all look stereotypically Sicilian or Greek. I don't see Jewish in them but then again I'm no expert.

IberianHilary
01-20-2018, 04:30 PM
Also, Helix reference population for Asia Minor is modern-day Turkey, parts of Greece, Georgia, Armenia and the northern Middle East.

I would assume if our Asia Minor is from the "northern Middle East" we would also have Arabia in our results but we don't.