PDA

View Full Version : Height prediction

poi
01-03-2018, 03:42 AM
Dna.land predicted that my genetic height to be 164cm, or around 5ft 4.5in. My real height is over 18cm or 7 inches taller. Anyone's height came way off?

vettor
01-03-2018, 03:54 AM
Dna.land predicted that my genetic height to be 164cm, or around 5ft 4.5in. My real height is over 18cm or 7 inches taller. Anyone's height came way off?

They failed while using both my ftdna and 23andme v3 samples ......with 166cm height.....I am 180cm
they also failed with eye colour, they said brown......the graph is very close to blue ...........but I am green eyes ( always have been )

They did although find all my relatives which I confirmed .........3 of them

firemonkey
01-03-2018, 11:04 AM
171-FTDNA 172-Ancestry 23andMe-178 My heritage - 171 . Actually just over 181 cMs (5-11.5)

sgdavies@hotmail.com
01-03-2018, 11:22 AM

For me, their height prediction was very close, within an inch.

DMXX
01-03-2018, 11:41 AM
Not surprising. We're still a long way from accurately predicting complex (genetic, epigenetic and environmentally influenced) traits, even for some of the more benign ones, such as height. Though most traits are complex, some sway more towards the inheritable side than towards the environment (such as intelligence) and vice versa.

From what I recall of my core genetics lectures, height is roughly 50:50 in terms of inherited:environmental predisposition. Of that 50%, we can currently account for about half using genome-wide association data. Ergo, these SNP-based predictions can only account for 30% of the total predisposition at present.

Anecdotally, 23andMe predicted I'd be at least one inch shorter than the average European male based on my genotype data. I did not have the environment on my side as a child (prolonged corticosteroid courses, low dairy diet due to cow's milk allergy and frequent unavailability of goat's or sheep's milk). I was 5'11.5" (180.5cm) at the age of 22. So, not particularly accurate in my case.

vettor
01-03-2018, 05:26 PM
You take these results with a pinch of salt ..........like 23andme results

state...you are blood type A- ..........wrong I am A+ ( had many tests for my type since when wife was pregnant)

state ...eye colour ...........72% blue, 27% green and 1% hazel ............I am green eyes

and many other errors ..............which is why I ignore the medical side of 23andme

Dost
03-29-2018, 05:23 PM
Im 190cm but it predicted me as 169cm

okarinaofsteiner
03-31-2018, 06:15 AM
My actual (175 cm) and predicted (<160 cm) heights are off by a similar margin.

Geborgenheit
04-08-2018, 05:33 AM
Predicted 168 cm. Reality: 175 cm. :)

Stephen1986
04-08-2018, 10:35 AM
I'm 176cm, my brother is roughly the same height.

DNA.Land predicted 177cm for myself, 172cm for my brother.

czl
07-21-2018, 02:58 PM
I found the height thing super accurate for me, guessed my exact height. Then again, I got the height I was expected for my genetics so perhaps itís off because you werenít expected to be so tall?

PoxVoldius
07-21-2018, 03:04 PM
With AncestryDNA, they predicted 171cm (~5' 7").
With 23andMe, they predicted 172cm.

I'm actually 5' 2".

Finn
07-21-2018, 03:08 PM
Wrong prediction for me Iím predictied 169 cm and my real lenght is 193 so 24cm besides....I guess growth hormones in Dutch cow milk :biggrin1:

RobinBMc
07-21-2018, 07:00 PM
Mine was pretty accurate - estimated 157cm, I'm actually about 154cm.

geebee
07-21-2018, 09:11 PM
My actual height and predicted high aren't very far off. Predicted is 180 cM, and I'm a little over 182 cM. But some of the other predictions are way off, and one is even a bit annoying.

For example, my inferred educational attainment is 14.1 years, which would basically be equivalent to completing an associate's degree at a community college. In fact, I have a bachelor's degree and a master's degree. But, I guess my lack of much post-secondary education is partly a function of my "a lower likelihood of increased intelligence". I just must not be "college material".

Hey, I make no claim to brilliance, but back when I was considering law school, I took the LSAT (Law School Admissions Test) and got a raw score of 94 -- which works out to around the 99th percentile. I also completed my bachelor's degree two years after my graduation from high school -- though I admit to having "cheated" in a way, because I took my first year of college while I was still a high school senior.

I found their "intelligence survey" peculiar, because it asked you to choose whether you'd rather have one sum of money now or a somewhat larger one later. Presumably, they're figuring that a more intelligent person would consider the "time value of money", and whether it would be more profitable to receive a larger amount after a certain amount of time has passed.

I hate to tell them, but that's not a decision that is purely based on intelligence. Maybe I'm expecting to kick the bucket soon (I hope not), or maybe I'm not sure I'll actually get the larger sum later and I'd just rather "take the money and run". Or just maybe, I have ADHD and poor impulse control. I want it now! That's not actually intelligence, or the lack thereof.

They were also wrong about coffee drinking, 2.7 cups per day. I don't generally drink coffee at all. Why not? I'm a taster, and I find coffee too bitter. Love the aroma, though. And if I feel like I have to drink it to be sociable, it will be loaded with sugar and cream. Or better yet, maybe it will be one of those flavored coffees. I can handle the occasional cappuccino.*

But they are right about my being neither a morning person nor a night person. If it were possible, I probably wouldn't sleep at all. Wait, maybe that makes me both a morning person and a night person? No, it just makes me tired, sometimes. The issue, I think, is partly a function of the ADHD. I have a hard time turning my brain off enough to go to sleep.

I'd also not argue with "a higher tendency toward neuroticism". But, hey, I have family members with bipolar disorder, which can maybe just a bit beyond being "neurotic". It even goes back a couple of generations. But I think it missed me. Then again, how would I really know? Shall I stress? Nah.

Eye color is also right: brown. In fact, very brown. Not black, just more of a deep velvet brown.

Nearsightedness, though, is very wrong. At 61, my eyes aren't what they used to be, but I'm not nearsighted even now. I do have astigmatism and presbyopia. DNA.land's estimate of -2.8 diopters isn't even close. Maybe more like +2.25. But for distance, I still don't need glasses at all.

Still, DNA.land's predictions aren't as crazy as some of 23andMe's. I was supposedly likely to have been one of those bald babies, but I had lots of hair. They made the same prediction for my daughter, who also had lots of hair. It was dark, almost black, and pretty much stuck straight out. And it never fell out, even though it did turn blonde briefly when she was about a year and a half to two or so. Then it returned to being dark brown, but not as dark as before.

*Okay, so maybe cappuccino isn't exactly a flavored coffee. But it is disguised, with lots of milk and cream. And sometimes it is flavored, with cinnamon or chocolate. Not too bad. Although I actually don't like chocolate, either; but only if it's "the real thing". No dark chocolate for me, although milk chocolate's fine.

(Neuroticism #1. Typos. Hate 'em. Thank goodness for an "edit" function.)

(Neuroticism #2. Overexplaining. Tend to. A lot. Never say in a few words what can be said in many. That's why we've got 'em -- right?)

Abd.H
07-21-2018, 11:27 PM
My predicted height : 167 cm
My real height : 180 cm

czl
07-21-2018, 11:32 PM
My actual height and predicted high aren't very far off. Predicted is 180 cM, and I'm a little over 182 cM. But some of the other predictions are way off, and one is even a bit annoying.

For example, my inferred educational attainment is 14.1 years, which would basically be equivalent to completing an associate's degree at a community college. In fact, I have a bachelor's degree and a master's degree. But, I guess my lack of much post-secondary education is partly a function of my "a lower likelihood of increased intelligence". I just must not be "college material".

Hey, I make no claim to brilliance, but back when I was considering law school, I took the LSAT (Law School Admissions Test) and got a raw score of 94 -- which works out to around the 99th percentile. I also completed my bachelor's degree two years after my graduation from high school -- though I admit to having "cheated" in a way, because I took my first year of college while I was still a high school senior.

I found their "intelligence survey" peculiar, because it asked you to choose whether you'd rather have one sum of money now or a somewhat larger one later. Presumably, they're figuring that a more intelligent person would consider the "time value of money", and whether it would be more profitable to receive a larger amount after a certain amount of time has passed.

I hate to tell them, but that's not a decision that is purely based on intelligence. Maybe I'm expecting to kick the bucket soon (I hope not), or maybe I'm not sure I'll actually get the larger sum later and I'd just rather "take the money and run". Or just maybe, I have ADHD and poor impulse control. I want it now! That's not actually intelligence, or the lack thereof.

They were also wrong about coffee drinking, 2.7 cups per day. I don't generally drink coffee at all. Why not? I'm a taster, and I find coffee too bitter. Love the aroma, though. And if I feel like I have to drink it to be sociable, it will be loaded with sugar and cream. Or better yet, maybe it will be one of those flavored coffees. I can handle the occasional cappuccino.*

But they are right about my being neither a morning person nor a night person. If it were possible, I probably wouldn't sleep at all. Wait, maybe that makes me both a morning person and a night person? No, it just makes me tired, sometimes. The issue, I think, is partly a function of the ADHD. I have a hard time turning my brain off enough to go to sleep.

I'd also not argue with "a higher tendency toward neuroticism". But, hey, I have family members with bipolar disorder, which can maybe just a bit beyond being "neurotic". It even goes back a couple of generations. But I think it missed me. Then again, how would I really know? Shall I stress? Nah.

Eye color is also right: brown. In fact, very brown. Not black, just more of a deep velvet brown.

Nearsightedness, though, is very wrong. At 61, my eyes aren't what they used to be, but I'm not nearsighted even now. I do have astigmatism and presbyopia. DNA.land's estimate of -2.8 diopters isn't even close. Maybe more like +2.25. But for distance, I still don't need glasses at all.

Still, DNA.land's predictions aren't as crazy as some of 23andMe's. I was supposedly likely to have been one of those bald babies, but I had lots of hair. They made the same prediction for my daughter, who also had lots of hair. It was dark, almost black, and pretty much stuck straight out. And it never fell out, even though it did turn blonde briefly when she was about a year and a half to two or so. Then it returned to being dark brown, but not as dark as before.

*Okay, so maybe cappuccino isn't exactly a flavored coffee. But it is disguised, with lots of milk and cream. And sometimes it is flavored, with cinnamon or chocolate. Not too bad. Although I actually don't like chocolate, either; but only if it's "the real thing". No dark chocolate for me, although milk chocolate's fine.

(Neuroticism #1. Typos. Hate 'em. Thank goodness for an "edit" function.)

(Neuroticism #2. Overexplaining. Tend to. A lot. Never say in a few words what can be said in many. That's why we've got 'em -- right?)

No youíre totally right, the test is dumb, like yeah I want $20 bucks now than $30 in a month, mathematically the rate of the 20 would be about $100 a month so it made no sense to me either, Iím at a lower likelihood of intelligence for that? Ok... I donít even get why they have these stupid tests
I got 2.7 cups a day too, if I wanted to I could, I love coffee but I almost never drink it, I treat it like a delicacy/treat that should be have seldom.
Them and Gedmatch gave me blue eyes which is wrong, I have a green hazelish color

CamulogŤne Rix
07-22-2018, 09:37 AM
Wrong prediction for me I’m predictied 169 cm and my real lenght is 193 so 24cm besides....I guess growth hormones in Dutch cow milk :biggrin1:

Amazing! you are really the tallest people of Europe in Frisia!
Compared to you I'm a dwarf: I'm only 186 cm tall...

Finn
07-22-2018, 10:25 AM
Amazing! you are really the tallest people of Europe in Frisia!
Compared to you I'm a dwarf: I'm only 186 cm tall...

Dwarf? Come on Camu! It’s indeed about the average for the people in North Dutch, But I guess in France you are certainly no dwarf....

I guess that the North Dutch are the tallest of the world is a combination of genetics and of the increased wealth and diet....in my city with 50000 students, about 80% from the North, this is very obvious.

In my family I see small people like my grandfather and his two brother (they always made undercooled yokes; as little kids the smallest was three times frozen in wintertime,the medium twice and the ‘tallest’ only once :biggrin1: and very tall ones like my grandmother and her brothers and sisters.

On a marriage picture my grandmother had to take a strange pose because she was much taller than her man...in those these this was not according to the ‘supposed to be picture’ I guess.

RobinBMc
07-22-2018, 04:32 PM

I don't think so - mine estimated an even lower education for me, 13.6 years, but "Possible evidence of increased intelligence", so I don't think they are connected. I don't know how accurate the intelligence thing is, but they were correct about my education. I have never been well suited to the traditional educational system, barely graduated high school and wound up going to an art and photography school where I got an associates degree in fine art. My dad has always suspected he is dyslexic and I have a lot of the same symptoms he does, though neither of us have ever been officially diagnosed.

They were also wrong about coffee drinking, 2.7 cups per day. I don't generally drink coffee at all.

Same here - estimated 2.7 cups per day, but I don't drink it at all. I do drink tea though.

But they are right about my being neither a morning person nor a night person.

That one was wrong for me - "likely a morning person" yet I have never been a morning person. If not forced to get up early, I tend to sleep in until 9-10am, and when I am forced to get up earlier, I won't speak for about an hour. I'm so grumpy in the morning, my husband used to be scared to wake me up. One time I had a headache and couldn't sleep so I was up at about 7:30am, and my sister in law looked amazed and said "You're up already?! But it's in the sevens!"

They were right about my eye color - brown. But wrong about eyesight. They say "average eyesight" but I have always been nearsighted since I was a kid, with an astigmatism in both eyes.

"Average tendency toward neuroticism" - I guess that makes sense, I don't think there's any family history of mental illness apart from my Nan's post-partum depression but I don't know if that counts.

Artmar
08-01-2018, 05:19 AM
Wrong prediction for me I’m predictied 169 cm and my real lenght is 193 so 24cm besides....I guess growth hormones in Dutch cow milk :biggrin1:

I am also 193 cm but my predicted height is even lower than yours, its 167 :lol:

Finn
08-01-2018, 07:45 AM
I am also 193 cm but my predicted height is even lower than yours, its 167 :lol:

I guess they missed a few snps:biggrin1:

Arnfried
08-02-2018, 10:16 PM
Not so far for me:

I'm 181 cm.

omgpeeps
08-03-2018, 02:15 PM
They did ok, several inches off. They predicted 178 cm when I'm 170 cm :P ;).

michal3141
08-03-2018, 02:29 PM
Predicted -> 168 cm, real -> 178 cm

PoxVoldius
08-03-2018, 07:24 PM
They did ok, several inches off. They predicted 178 cm when I'm 170 cm :P ;).

Yay! I'm not the only one here who's shorter than predicted!

omgpeeps
08-04-2018, 01:07 PM
Yay! I'm not the only one here who's shorter than predicted!

Definitely not :) but the prediction did make me feel a bit I might have unfulfilled height potential, but that's okay B).

PoxVoldius
08-04-2018, 03:46 PM
Definitely not :) but the prediction did make me feel a bit I might have unfulfilled height potential, but that's okay B).

Makes me wonder if the cheap American food & junk I ate as a kid (and the smaller dinner portions I often ate because Mom's cooking left something to be desired) robbed me of my height potential. On Mom's side, I have uncles & cousins that are like beanpoles (or were -- one of the uncles put on a lot of weight as he got older), whereas I'm in the same height range as my two Filipina aunts.

Verity
09-30-2018, 07:35 PM
Predicted: 1 68cm

Actual: 1 74cm