PDA

View Full Version : What about a sauna, good for you or something you would never experience?

utR!
01-06-2018, 11:13 AM
I do like to go to sauna at least once a week and sometimes twice and I find its good benefits.

What do you think about sauna :)?

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/2047487317737629

MonkeyDLuffy
01-06-2018, 01:25 PM
I do like to go to sauna at least once a week and sometimes twice and I find its good benefits.

I like sitting in sauna room twice a week after my workout, I love how relaxed it makes me. A nice shower after that and you sleep like a baby.

JohnHowellsTyrfro
01-06-2018, 04:22 PM
I'm getting older and have some joint pain. I have a sauna in my house, I don't go on holiday so it's my little personal luxury. I certainly enjoy a sauna and feel better for it. Whether it has any long-term health benefits I don't know.
The use of saunas or sweat lodges seems to go back a very long time in history. It is said that combined with replacement fluid intake it helps rid the body of impurities but whether there is evidence for that I'm not sure.

DMXX
01-06-2018, 04:53 PM
I love the idea of saunas, but I'm a wimp in humidity.

The closest thing to an alternative I've discovered is getting a good deep tissue massage and then alternating between hot and cold water every 15-20s in the shower (that supposedly increases circulation but I'm not sure about that; the heat part, sure, but the cold?). Like Monkey's perspective on saunas, it puts me out like a baby every time I manage to relive that procedure.

rms2
01-06-2018, 05:21 PM
My wife is Russian and really likes the sauna. I like it for short stints but am not a big fan of heat. I also have this kind of paranoid fear of not being able to get out (but I laugh it off and go anyway). I think I would feel the same way if I were forced to live through a summer in Arizona without air conditioning.

homunculus
01-06-2018, 05:44 PM
As a Finn, sauna is a very common part of our everyday life. Tbh honest though, for a Finn I'm a total wimp really. Around 70 Celsius is quite enough for me, I like my sauna comfortably hot but not like BBQ like most of Finns (especially males) prefer it. But in the cold winter it's a really welcome change to the constant freezing. Of course the best combination is to have your sauna in a cottage near a lakeshore during the winter. And then there's the peculiar thing a few years ago when a not-so-mentally-gidted Finn outsauna'd a Russian guy to death:

JohnHowellsTyrfro
01-06-2018, 06:31 PM
I'm in the UK and recently we had some snow which doesn't happen that often.
I got out of the sauna and thought about rolling around naked in it but I don't know how the neighbours would have taken it. :)
I do actually cool off outside but with a bathrobe on. :)

J Man
01-06-2018, 06:31 PM
When I was young my grandparents had an old sauna in their backyard. My grandmother is of Finnish ancestry. I have some fond memories of using that sauna as a kid. I always felt refreshed after leaving it. It was definitely relaxing.

rms2
01-06-2018, 09:03 PM
I like hot tubs much more than I like saunas.

J Man
01-06-2018, 09:53 PM

Hot tubs are nice too for sure.

utR!
01-07-2018, 05:16 AM
I like sitting in sauna room twice a week after my workout, I love how relaxed it makes me. A nice shower after that and you sleep like a baby.

Yes that relaxation is somehow much deeper felt in your body than bath, shower or other can give of my experience. It takes time to get use to the heat (and stand it). But the benefits are real for example for the stiff muscles.

utR!
01-07-2018, 05:18 AM

Ok. How hot are the tubes, tell me more what kind of they are?

surbakhunWeesste
01-07-2018, 05:32 AM
I love steam sauna, helps me with my Asthma, aches, skin conditions.....I start by taking a cold shower and then I enter the steam room, I also take a desired essential oil for aroma therapy, occasionally take breaks for more cold showers and I drink a lot of water. You should give it a try.
Dry sauna are whatever for my taste.

JohnHowellsTyrfro
01-07-2018, 07:27 AM
A short video on sweat houses in different cultures.

https://youtu.be/Y1GGE8ZwK3Q

utR!
01-07-2018, 02:32 PM
A short video on sweat houses in different cultures.

https://youtu.be/Y1GGE8ZwK3Q

Thanks there are a lot of different kind of saunas in Youtube. Very individual solutions.

Roaring
01-08-2018, 02:36 PM
Thanks there are a lot of different kind of saunas in Youtube. Very individual solutions.

As a Russian i've used Sauna since childhood, but real pleasure for me is to use brich broom, do you use it in Finland?

Huck Finn
01-08-2018, 06:12 PM
As a Russian i've used Sauna since childhood, but real pleasure for me is to use brich broom, do you use it in Finland?

Sure, brooms are typically made of birch here, but I've noticed that both Balts and Russians like other type of brooms as well, such as those made of oak. I bought some of those a couple of weeks ago in Vyborg, I have BTW introduced also Russian sauna caps i.e shapka's to my family, with some success.

A good sauna is not too hot, something like 66 celsius is optimal and the air has to be very humid. A sea, lake or river view is desirable. A hot, dry sauna at some hotel is a creature of the evil.

basque
01-08-2018, 09:52 PM
I love a sauna after a big workout but not too hot and i skip the cold showers, if no one else is in there i do some stretching, feel relaxed and refreshed after a warm shower.

Basque :rolleyes:

Roaring
01-08-2018, 11:17 PM
Sure, brooms are typically made of birch here, but I've noticed that both Balts and Russians like other type of brooms as well, such as those made of oak. I bought some of those a couple of weeks ago in Vyborg, I have BTW introduced also Russian sauna caps i.e shapka's to my family, with some success.

A good sauna is not too hot, something like 66 celsius is optimal and the air has to be very humid. A sea, lake or river view is desirable. A hot, dry sauna at some hotel is a creature of the evil.

Yeah, oak is also good, if you let it wet in hot water it will give away a nice smell. Caps are also usefull, especially for people with weaker cardio system.

Jartan
01-08-2018, 11:44 PM
They are great, just don't fall asleep in one.

utR!
01-09-2018, 06:43 PM
I love the idea of saunas, but I'm a wimp in humidity.

The closest thing to an alternative I've discovered is getting a good deep tissue massage and then alternating between hot and cold water every 15-20s in the shower (that supposedly increases circulation but I'm not sure about that; the heat part, sure, but the cold?). Like Monkey's perspective on saunas, it puts me out like a baby every time I manage to relive that procedure.

There are also steamsaunas I have been to but I do not like them too damp. In normal sauna the circulation of the air makes it that the heat does not feel damp. But it does if sauna is not enough hot it is steamy and not so nice dry one is better. It should be about +70 - 80 and then you can sweat well and it's healthy. You should not stay too long maybe ut to 15 min and right away shower to get rid of sweat and all kind of bad stuff from your skin. Body needs cooling and then again to sauna.

utR!
01-09-2018, 06:52 PM
As a Finn, sauna is a very common part of our everyday life. Tbh honest though, for a Finn I'm a total wimp really. Around 70 Celsius is quite enough for me, I like my sauna comfortably hot but not like BBQ like most of Finns (especially males) prefer it. But in the cold winter it's a really welcome change to the constant freezing. Of course the best combination is to have your sauna in a cottage near a lakeshore during the winter. And then there's the peculiar thing a few years ago when a not-so-mentally-gidted Finn outsauna'd a Russian guy to death:

Yes I remember that occasion. Sauna is not for that you grill yourself there and also not for competition because the limit what the body stands.

I remember one certain time I was about 16 or something like that. We went to the sauna for both men and women together (swimmingsuits on of course) and men started to throw water so many times that temperature was over +100. We tried to stay as long as possible but we had to give up and run to the lake to cool down. Too hot is too hot.

utR!
01-09-2018, 06:58 PM
I'm in the UK and recently we had some snow which doesn't happen that often.
I got out of the sauna and thought about rolling around naked in it but I don't know how the neighbours would have taken it. :)
I do actually cool off outside but with a bathrobe on. :)

I have been once in very mild sauna in Great Britain I just got frustrated because temperature was about 40 - 50. You should try to go to snow it cools quickly the body. I think I might have done it once when I was a child and we lived so far from the next house.

Volat
01-09-2018, 07:17 PM
For those who likes saunas. If you have one at home , when you splash water over heated rocks mix water with beer and you will get a nice smell of bread. Don't splash pure beer though.

Volat
01-09-2018, 07:20 PM
We also have bunches of birch or oak brunches. Usually birch which we use to hit each in saunas during high temperatures. LOL.

Volat
01-09-2018, 07:22 PM

Oak is also used. But birch is more abundant.

Volat
01-09-2018, 07:25 PM
I love a sauna after a big workout but not too hot and i skip the cold showers, if no one else is in there i do some stretching, feel relaxed and refreshed after a warm shower.

Basque :rolleyes:

Winter is my favourite time of the year visiting sauna, when the temperature outside is well below 0C.

utR!
01-12-2018, 02:08 PM
Brunches we call them "vihta" or "vasta" it depends on where you are living (dialect). I used it when I was younger but not any more. I do not like seprarate leaves all around sauna. Nice smell of birch; you can also put some drops oil which scents birch into water.

Some say you'll get better sauna steam if heated by wood rather than elcectric heated what you think does it make difference? Main thing you sweat and feel better or healthy reason (as astma, flu and so on).

Volat
01-12-2018, 02:28 PM
In our traditional sauna 'laznia' we call them , 'banya' in Russian wood is the only choice of fuel. Or coal. Electric heating is available in saunas of large cities combined with swimming pools. We look down upon such saunas. The best are traditional saunas outside of cities heated by wood.

Birch branches (dziarkach or venik in Russian) are usually made of birch branches, because birch is a common tree in forests. One can buy birch sap collected in spring in shops, but that's another story :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birch_sap

Oak branches are also used but not as often as Birch.

Modern Russian 'banya' (sauna)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc9A9rsCuLI

rms2
01-13-2018, 04:45 PM
Ok. How hot are the tubes, tell me more what kind of they are?

Hot tubs are set at about 104 F (40 C). They are like big Jacuzzi baths, with air jets providing massaging bubbles. It's hard to beat a couple of drinks and time spent in a hot tub.

Kopfjäger
01-15-2018, 02:58 PM

How the hell do people do that? I used to go to saunas in Korea, but I couldn't even walk in there. Other folks would be layin' down, and my ass was burnin'.

MonkeyDLuffy
01-15-2018, 03:03 PM
How the hell do people do that? I used to go to saunas in Korea, but I couldn't even walk in there. Other folks would be layin' down, and my ass was burnin'.

Haha it takes time to get used to it. I'm quite used to being in hot environment because of working in pizza stores.

Kopfjäger
01-15-2018, 03:09 PM
Haha it takes time to get used to it. I'm quite used to being in hot environment because of working in pizza stores.

I guess I should start with medium heat first lol.

utR!
01-19-2018, 04:56 PM
In our traditional sauna 'laznia' we call them , 'banya' in Russian wood is the only choice of fuel. Or coal. Electric heating is available in saunas of large cities combined with swimming pools. We look down upon such saunas. The best are traditional saunas outside of cities heated by wood.

Birch branches (dziarkach or venik in Russian) are usually made of birch branches, because birch is a common tree in forests. One can buy birch sap collected in spring in shops, but that's another story :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birch_sap

Oak branches are also used but not as often as Birch.

Modern Russian 'banya' (sauna)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc9A9rsCuLI

Very nice sauna or banya. In woodwork it has used a lot of artistic imagination. It is a big experience to step into to that building. It might have been nice to understand the spoken russian language in that video. Are there other saunas like this is Russian?

best utR!

Volat
01-21-2018, 12:13 AM
Very nice sauna or banya. In woodwork it has used a lot of artistic imagination. It is a big experience to step into to that building. It might have been nice to understand the spoken russian language in that video. Are there other saunas like this is Russian?

best utR!

It's a vip sauna. Only few saunas like this owned by wealthy people. He describes rooms in sauna and building technology. How to build so certain places to accumulate fungas on wood, the type of wood in certain sections etc.

PaintedPonies
01-24-2018, 02:18 AM
They're great.

onemiguel1987
03-03-2018, 06:01 AM
The dry heat has profound effects on the body. Sweating begins almost immediately. The average person will lose a pint of sweat during a brief sauna. However, it evaporates so quickly in the dry air that a person may not realize how much he is perspiring.

Scat
05-15-2019, 09:00 PM
In general, I do not like the sauna. But my parents are just fans of it. In my youth, I was often forced to go to the sauna. No longer liked the moment of coercion. Sauna, one of the traditions in the post USSR countries. I am not impressed by this tradition, but I am in the overwhelming minority in my country.

Ramiro
12-17-2019, 02:39 AM
I have high blood pressure, so I can’t stay in the sauna for a long time, unfortunately, but I really liked it.

utR!
12-26-2019, 05:06 PM
The dry heat has profound effects on the body. Sweating begins almost immediately. The average person will lose a pint of sweat during a brief sauna. However, it evaporates so quickly in the dry air that a person may not realize how much he is perspiring.

So it's is better to throw water to the stones and get that way more moisture. I have felt good for breathing when having a flu. But it is not good for your health to go to sauna when you have fever. If you want benefits for your health need to have sauna at least over 2 times per week.

Mike86PhD
12-30-2019, 08:46 AM

The guys in Finland made a study on a period of 25 years and they said that if you go 3-4 times a week 10-15 minutes in a sauna, your Alzheimer risks decrease by 33%.

Dorkymon
12-30-2019, 10:29 AM
My family runs a Finnish sauna business, since before I was even born. So, I'm kind of spoiled when it comes to them.

My advice to sauna lovers is to get some fresh aromas for your stones, eucalyptus is a must, and a good birch broom.

mahlankeruu
12-30-2019, 11:32 AM
For me the best aspect about sauna is its ability to make you feel more clean than just by simply washing yourself.
Instead of trying to simply enjoy and relax after working out etc, i find it more valuable to heat it close to 100 degrees celsius and drink alcohol, as it calms your heart when it starts to beat too much from the heat. This magical threshold of pain and relaxation brings out the magic of sauna, which becomes even more stronger if people remain silent (like in the old times).

utR!
02-02-2020, 07:01 AM
I found today this a link to it.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2451965019301048

So there are good benefits for your body system. Sauna does relax but you need to be used to go there.

Maziw
02-10-2020, 09:14 PM
A warm sauna or hammam, after sport, without phone or any screen, this is the best time of the day, for mind and body.

JonikW
02-11-2020, 12:42 AM
I've dabbled with similar in Russia but can highly recommend the hammam in Cordoba, which I tried last year. The cold plunge after intense heat fixed me up a treat. I did the rounds three times and left feeling 20 years younger. Inspired by that, I now blast out some heat partway through my shower at home and have found that to be a good budget substitute.