PDA

View Full Version : No "Communities" to Ancestry??

Opium
01-08-2018, 01:19 PM
Wondering - why'd someone get no communities/groups?

A Norfolk L-M20
01-08-2018, 01:31 PM
If you go into your DNA Matches, click on the "Regions" button, do you get a filter drop down like this one?

https://anthrogenica.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20649&d=1515418203

Opium
01-08-2018, 02:43 PM
If you go into your DNA Matches, click on the "Regions" button, do you get a filter drop down like this one?

https://anthrogenica.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20649&d=1515418203

Nope.

JFWinstone
01-08-2018, 02:50 PM
My ex isn't in any communities either. I would have expected her to at least be in Southern England and possibly an Irish one but nope nowt. Mum and I are both in Southern England.

msmarjoribanks
01-08-2018, 03:13 PM
If you are too mixed you might not get one.

Opium
01-08-2018, 03:26 PM
If you are too mixed you might not get one.

Hm... my ancestry isn't that mixed. And spouse, likewise without, is just from UK.

JMcB
01-08-2018, 06:11 PM
Hm... my ancestry isn't that mixed. And spouse, likewise without, is just from UK.

Did you by any chance, get your test results recently, because it took a little while before my communities began to kick in?

msmarjoribanks
01-08-2018, 09:42 PM

Mixed could be from different areas in the UK.

But yeah, sometimes you just don't fit into how they've defined the community, for whatever reason. Is there a particular one you thought you should be part of?

rms2
01-08-2018, 10:42 PM
Mine aren't called "communities". They're called "Migrations":

JenneR
01-09-2018, 12:00 AM
The communitiy/migration I was assigned is a joke, itís Lower Midwest and Virginia. It would work with subgroups inside of the huge migration the extends from Maine to Oaklahoma and to Georgia and Indiana, so ridiculous. Theyíve got Georgia and Indiana in the same migration during the Civil War, oh and forgot to mention Wisconsin and Utah. They might as well have just placed a big orange circle over the eastern half of the United States and Utah.

Tz85
01-09-2018, 12:04 AM
The Ancestry communities are all messed up. I belong to the Southern Italian community, but I'm just as equally Slavic, and belong to no East European community

rms2
01-09-2018, 12:06 AM
The communitiy/migration I was assigned is a joke, itís Lower Midwest and Virginia. It would work with subgroups inside of the huge migration the extends from Maine to Oaklahoma and to Georgia and Indiana, so ridiculous. Theyíve got Georgia and Indiana in the same migration during the Civil War, oh and did I mention Wisconsin. They might as well have just placed a big orange circle over the eastern half of the United States.

Mine are actually pretty accurate.

JenneR
01-09-2018, 12:12 AM
Wish mine were, it would be accurate with more refined subregions, like the Appalachia. Most of my Dads ancestors were living in Tennessee and Kentucky during these periods.

My Moms family isnít even represented by the communities or migrations, Her family immigrated more recently from Wales to The US and Ireland Scotland via Australia to the US after WWII. Half of my family wasnít even in the US until the 1890s.

Clarke
01-09-2018, 12:29 AM
Mine are accurate, and overall my FTDNA result mirrored my Ancestry result.

Opium
01-09-2018, 01:07 AM
Did you by any chance, get your test results recently, because it took a little while before my communities began to kick in?

Nope. 16 months ago.

Mixed could be from different areas in the UK.

Nope. His ancestry is all from same region of UK. Mine is more mixed but not terribly.

Mine aren't called "communities". They're called "Migrations":

"Migrations" or "Communities" still don't have them

A Norfolk L-M20
01-09-2018, 03:00 AM
Mine are very accurate.

https://anthrogenica.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19681&d=1510324108

Compared to paper trail:

https://anthrogenica.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19163&d=1507214541

jshook
01-09-2018, 04:22 AM
Wish mine were, it would be accurate with more refined subregions, like the Appalachia. Most of my Dads ancestors were living in Tennessee and Kentucky during these periods.

My Moms family isn’t even represented by the communities or migrations, Her family immigrated more recently from Wales to The US and Ireland Scotland via Australia to the US after WWII. Half of my family wasn’t even in the US until the 1890s.

That's very odd because mine were very specific (and spot-on accurate). I'm from northeast Georgia, on the North Carolina border, and it accurately put me in those two groups.

JenneR
01-09-2018, 04:51 AM
Mine is huge, this one migration takes up almost half of the Eastern US and is broken in to two parts. Since it covers so much territory, they get about almost half right. It’s just a bummer that it is so huge because it does nothing for me.

Nqp15hhu
01-09-2018, 07:32 AM
Don't think you get one unless you have had family living in that region for hundreds of years.

Kathlingram
01-09-2018, 05:08 PM
Mine are accurate also..and shed light on my paternal grandfather who seems to be a mystery..we thought it was Dad's Norway stepfather but with a few thousand unuiplicated matches..apparently not!
It also reinforces somewhat my Living_DNA who identify me as 30% Wales..
Years ago as a Beta tester at 23andme I got a few 4th cousin matches from Wales but discounted them..Now I have upwards of 1,000, most still living in Wales and many BiLingual..North Wales mostly
20666 and 20667

Opium
01-09-2018, 05:59 PM
Don't think you get one unless you have had family living in that region for hundreds of years.

His ancestry is over 400 years in a 100 mile radius.

Phoebe Watts
01-09-2018, 06:50 PM

But as mentioned on another thread, people with South Wales ancestry are also allocated the Southern England community even when there is no known ancestry in Southern England.

msmarjoribanks
01-10-2018, 04:06 AM
His ancestry is over 400 years in a 100 mile radius.

They have a hard time even identifying English ancestry vs. Western Europe generally often, so I think to get a community you need links to others in that community. Maybe not enough (or not broad enough) are tested for that community yet?

I'm another who just got migrations, and my migrations are really broad (and overlapping), but they are accurate:

(1) Ohio River Valley, Indiana, Illinois & Iowa Settlers

(2) Pennsylvania, Ohio & Indiana Settlers

A pretty high percentage of my family was in OH or IN or IL by the very early 1800s (or in a few cases before), many of them went on to IA (and a good percentage went further west after that).

I'd guess you need a lower percentage of overall ancestors (I have some who don't fit) to be part of the migrations in part because it's probably easier to end up with lots of genetic connections to people who fit into these, both because they are broad and because the US has so many more Ancestry testers.

greerpalmer
01-24-2018, 12:09 AM
Its important to keep in mind the magic behind this feature from Ancestry is not necessarily in your genes, but in the genes of a macro network of users with enough family tree data to conclude that anyone related to that network has common origins from that area. I receive the Ulster Ireland North Midlands Subgroup. I actually have no confirmed ancestry from the past 250 years directly in Ulster, but 2 of my great great grandparents came from the Midlands just south of Ulster and many of my ancestors 300+ years removed likely came from around Ulster so the algorithm naturally assumes I'm from the southern edge of Ulster.

I have Swiss and German lines in my tree going back hundreds of years with the majority of my DNA match/tree overlaps being from Germany and 4/6 of my Genetic circles being from Germany yet I get no German community. Being predominately colonial american, I have very tight networks from 1600-1750 Massachusetts, Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania but I get no migrations.

PaintedPonies
01-24-2018, 02:13 AM
Its important to keep in mind the magic behind this feature from Ancestry is not necessarily in your genes, but in the genes of a macro network of users with enough family tree data to conclude that anyone related to that network has common origins from that area. I receive the Ulster Ireland North Midlands Subgroup. I actually have no confirmed ancestry from the past 250 years directly in Ulster, but 2 of my great great grandparents came from the Midlands just south of Ulster and many of my ancestors 300+ years removed likely came from around Ulster so the algorithm naturally assumes I'm from the southern edge of Ulster.

I have Swiss and German lines in my tree going back hundreds of years with the majority of my DNA match/tree overlaps being from Germany and 4/6 of my Genetic circles being from Germany yet I get no German community. Being predominately colonial american, I have very tight networks from 1600-1750 Massachusetts, Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania but I get no migrations.

American database???

Jessie
01-24-2018, 03:03 AM
The GCs are a bit hit and miss. I get the Southern Ireland GC which stretches up to Dublin. I'm not in any of the Connacht GCs even though my father was from Roscommon and my Grandmother from Sligo. It is interesting comparing this to the Irish DNA Atlas which has SLM (South Leinster/Munster). This is the GC that Ancestry put me in.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2wo8x6o.jpg

My GC is the one called Irish in Southern Ireland and is part of the Munster GC. It is the top one and the largest encompassing Waterford to Dublin and over to the west coast. My mother was from North Tipperary which is in North Munster.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tHMAnvcbgKI/WN4bfP17NgI/AAAAAAAAOFo/DnPfUaH0698MMcfK0RagZcT3UH_WXMQqQCLcB/s1600/AncestryDNA_Origins-MunsterIrish.png

greerpalmer
01-25-2018, 03:28 PM
The GCs are a bit hit and miss. I get the Southern Ireland GC which stretches up to Dublin. I'm not in any of the Connacht GCs even though my father was from Roscommon and my Grandmother from Sligo. It is interesting comparing this to the Irish DNA Atlas which has SLM (South Leinster/Munster). This is the GC that Ancestry put me in.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2wo8x6o.jpg

My GC is the one called Irish in Southern Ireland and is part of the Munster GC. It is the top one and the largest encompassing Waterford to Dublin and over to the west coast. My mother was from North Tipperary which is in North Munster.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tHMAnvcbgKI/WN4bfP17NgI/AAAAAAAAOFo/DnPfUaH0698MMcfK0RagZcT3UH_WXMQqQCLcB/s1600/AncestryDNA_Origins-MunsterIrish.png

My great great grandparents are from Elphin, Co Roscommon and I fall into the Ulster North Midlands group. The western edge of the groups map crosses over Elphin. I think the group skews north just based on my more distant Irish Ulster ancestors and Scottish ancestors/relatives.

RobinBMc
01-25-2018, 06:19 PM
The Ancestry communities are all messed up. I belong to the Southern Italian community, but I'm just as equally Slavic, and belong to no East European community

I wouldn't say they are "messed up" - it just depends what DNA you have and what DNA the genetic communities have. My dad is half Southern Italian and gets a GC for South Italy. But apparently I didn't inherit enough of his Southern Italian DNA because I don't get a GC for South Italy. That's just the way the chips fall sometimes. No one is assured to get any Genetic Community.

Nqp15hhu
01-25-2018, 07:05 PM
I don't know if the Genetic Communities, necessarily infer Ancestry within those Specific Regions, I was added to the Scotland Genetic Community and I still don't know if that means I have Scottish ancestors.

RobinBMc
01-25-2018, 10:12 PM
I don't know if the Genetic Communities, necessarily infer Ancestry within those Specific Regions, I was added to the Scotland Genetic Community and I still don't know if that means I have Scottish ancestors.

You're from Northern Ireland? So most likely you're Ulster Scots/Scots Irish - it's not a stretch to having a GC in Scotland.