PDA

View Full Version : Any haplogroup V people of British isles origin?

Tomoboy092
01-15-2018, 04:52 PM
My friends haplogroup is V9a and has no know Finnish blood but does have 5.5 percent Scandinavian according to 23andme and is pretty much straight English (mostly northern) on paper and can trace her maternal lineage back to a Clarissa Jane Fairhurst born around 1780 around the Manchester area of England. Does anyone else have haplogroup V traced to England or Britain in general?and what subclade of V do you have?

JohnHowellsTyrfro
01-15-2018, 07:07 PM
My friends haplogroup is V9a and has no know Finnish blood but does have 5.5 percent Scandinavian according to 23andme and is pretty much straight English (mostly northern) on paper and can trace her maternal lineage back to a Clarissa Jane Fairhurst born around 1780 around the Manchester area of England. Does anyone else have haplogroup V traced to England or Britain in general?and what subclade of V do you have?

That's interesting.
I've found a brief reference that says V9a1 and V9a2 are found in the British Isles. It didn't say these two are found anywhere else. Don't have any further information I'm afraid.

JonikW
01-18-2018, 12:05 AM
I am British (Welsh and English mostly) and V. So far I've only traced my maternal line back to a woman born about 1799 in Michaelston-y-Fedw, South Wales. I hope to do more testing one day though to get a more detailed result

ajc347
01-20-2018, 10:39 PM
I'm V15a and am English. My maternal line came to England with my Grandmother when she immigrated from Ireland in the 1920's. I've been able to trace her line back to Dundalk in the 1790's.

Eihwaz
01-21-2018, 01:20 AM
For what it's worth all of my coding region matches (I'm a "V31") are of ultimately British descent, but my side is German. You can refer to the thread I started.

Jack Johnson
06-25-2018, 10:23 PM
I donít understand why you mentioned the Finnish part, as if anyone who has V is of Finnish descent, nonsense. These haplogroups predate the existence of such ethnicities by tens of thousands years. V is found all throughout Europe including both Finland, the British Isles, and practically all of West Eurasia for that matter. There are subclades such as V9 that are associated with the British Isles and there are subclades specific to the Finnish. If anything it is very likely a good majority of V was spread to the British Isles through the Bell Beakers and not through the Finnish, a population that forms a cluster far apart from other European populations and has East Asian/Siberian affinities, which the populations of the British Isles do not.

Rpink53
08-10-2018, 01:29 PM
Hello, I am from Pennsylvania and my maternal Haplogroup is V7. We believe my grandmother is from Northern Ireland and was raised protestant. Much of the data I find on V7 links to the Saami, but does anyone have information on the origin of V7 in the British Isles?

euromutt
08-10-2018, 06:50 PM
Since this thread has been resurrected, my maternal haplogroup is V3c, hailing from Northamptonshire as far back as I can tell (so far). Likewise, if anyone has any info on V3c in British Isles it would be much appreciated!

JonikW
08-10-2018, 09:24 PM
I'm glad this thread has been resurrected. 23andme, Britain's DNA and Living DNA all gave me V. I'd like to test deeper but wonder whether that's it as far as I'm concerned. Did any of you guys just get V on standard tests and in what tests were your subclades identified?

euromutt
08-10-2018, 10:47 PM
I'm glad this thread has been resurrected. 23andme, Britain's DNA and Living DNA all gave me V. I'd like to test deeper but wonder whether that's it as far as I'm concerned. Did any of you guys just get V on standard tests and in what tests were your subclades identified?

I’m not as well versed in haplogroups, but I got mine from LivingDNA. That’s the only test I’ve taken besides Ancestry so it’s unfortunately my only insight into mine. I’ve also wondered if it would be worth testing deeper, but wouldn’t even know where to begin.

JonikW
08-10-2018, 10:51 PM
I’m not as well versed in haplogroups, but I got mine from LivingDNA. That’s the only test I’ve taken besides Ancestry so it’s unfortunately my only insight into mine. I’ve also wondered if it would be worth testing deeper, but wouldn’t even know where to begin.

Thanks. In that case maybe I am only V seeing as that's what Living DNA gave me.