PDA

View Full Version : Does LivingDNA often overestimate British DNA%?

Nortunal
01-15-2018, 06:13 PM
Iím aware that this test only goes back ten generations, but seeing as we can pick up ancestry from much further back than this, does this render extremely high percentages of British dna on this test a bit inaccurate?

It seems when other people take different tests, the % of British DNA comes out lower and more mixed. Likewise, people who donít have any known British ancestry seem to pick up random bits through LDNA. Thoughts?

firemonkey
01-15-2018, 06:34 PM
I know my ancestry fully back 5 generations and it's 100% British. Living dna gives me 100% British . I wouldn't like to say if that's accurate going back a further 150 years.

homunculus
01-15-2018, 07:08 PM
LivingDNA gives me 9.4% British which is a bit suspicious, especially as a Finnish person. Running the autosomal data through other calculators usually gives me 0% British.

greerpalmer
01-15-2018, 08:39 PM
Yes, members of the German genealogical society with well documented lines going back 1000 years have come back with results as high as 90% British Isles. I'm approximately 1/3rd German and receive 88% British Isles, 0% Germanic or French.

Between the ongoing Irish, Scottish, Swedish and German projects we should get some clarity in future updates.

Brent clements
01-15-2018, 08:55 PM
I am an American with about 80-85 percent British isles ancestry according to my known paper trail going back about 300 years. I have tested with ancestry and my heritage who both put my British isles ancestry at about 70 percent. Both of these companies assigned me between 16-18 percent Scandinavian and 6-7 percent Southern European. I do have a small amount of documented ancestry from Sweden but nothing to explain 16-18 percent. Family tree dna put my Scandinavian at 26 percent but they are so inaccurate in general that I didnít give that much thought. Living dna put my British ancestry at 94 percent which seemed very accurate in my case. The rest of my ancestry they assigned to Scandinavia. The 5 percent Scandinavia they gave me fits better with my known ancestry. So at least in my case living dna is accurate and it is the other major companies who overestimate Northern European for people of British descent.

JenneR
01-15-2018, 08:58 PM
Yes, I believe that it does. My results at Living DNA
90.3% B&I
5.5% Scandinavia
3% Europe South (Iberia and Italy Tuscany)
1.1% Africa Yorubaland

My documented and verified French and German are completely missing!

It seems they've been grouped in with Southeast England...

MacEochaidh
01-15-2018, 11:19 PM
My "known ancestry is 75% Britain & Ireland and 25% French Canadian. LDNA gives me 79.6% Britain & Ireland, 12.2% Europe South, 5% Europe North & West, 6.4% Asia Central.

Mike_G
01-17-2018, 11:45 PM
For me, yes by a large measure.

Dewsloth
01-18-2018, 12:01 AM
For Dad, it was a mixed bag. It did a brilliant job highlighting the same regions in the British Isles where we had known ancestors, but fell flat in missing that nearly half Dad's ancestry was from the continent (it only had him as Scandinavian and Finn/West Russian, no French, German, Belgian, Dutch, etc). Like others found, it just dumped the German(ic) into the Germanic English regions.

For comparison, Dad's K36 and his LivingDNA:
https://fusiontables.google.com/embedviz?q=select+col39%3E%3E1+from+1skwdJmHEiACrP KulOMLtLUmSU3h8uMqQOWWY6Xvd&viz=MAP&h=false&lat=48.639870255142746&lng=22.326959687499993&t=1&z=5&l=col39%3E%3E1&y=2&tmplt=2&hml=KML

Europe 100%
Great Britain and Ireland 71.1%
Southeast England 20.6%
East Anglia 13.6%
Lincolnshire 12.2%
South Central England 9.5%
South Yorkshire 4.7%
Cumbria 2.4%
Northwest Scotland 2.4%
Devon 2.3%
Cornwall 2.2%
North Yorkshire 1.2%
Europe (South) 14.3%
North Italy 11.1%
Aegean 3.2%
Europe (North and West) 8.2%
Scandinavia 8.2%
Europe (East) 6.4%
West Balkans 2.6%
East Balkans 2%
Finland and Western Russia 1.8%

^^I think all Dad's GB/I regions above are correct, just the percentages for some are over-inflated.

Robert1
01-18-2018, 09:30 PM
My results at Living DNA were just slightly overestimated.

98.7% United Kingdom
1.3% Scandinavian

According to my research about 4-5% from my Southeast England region should be pulled to German/Dutch. It will be interesting to see what the German update does but for now Living DNA was accurate for me. By the way they repeated this small "error" for my sisters, Mother and paternal aunt.

RobinBMc
01-18-2018, 11:17 PM
I have been hearing this, yes. British people say it's been very accurate for them, while people with other backgrounds say it overestimates their British results. I am very curious to see what I get - my test just started lab processing. I estimate my British background should be about 35% on paper but AncestryDNA says 55% (range 36%-76%), FTDNA says 54%, MyHeritage say 39% and 23andMe say 17.2%.

Didn't LivingDNA get their British samples for the reference panel from a large study done there? I get the impression they have more British samples than anything else, which would naturally skew things in that direction.

A Norfolk L-M20
01-19-2018, 03:07 AM
As an East Anglian, it still underestimates my British ancestry. Around the same as FTDNA and AncestryDNA.

JMcB
01-19-2018, 04:34 AM
According to my paper trail, my ancestry should be approximately, 87.5 % British Isles, 6.25% italian & 6.25% German.

LDNA gave me (in complete mode) 88% Great British & Ireland, 5.9% European South (Aegean, Tuscany, Sardina), 4.4% Scandinavia (which in their notes, covers parts of Germany) & 1.6% European East (Mordovia).

Of the three autosomal tests I’ve taken (LDNA, FTDNA & Ancestry), their results were by far the best.

Of course, I am in their bailiwick.

angscoire
01-19-2018, 01:23 PM
If you have non-British Northern European ancestry then you probably won't get a very accurate result. You'll get a big over estimation of British DNA . But if you have entirely or pre-dominantly British ancestry ,then it's easily the most accurate and interesting test out there.

evon
01-19-2018, 01:30 PM
Gives me 12%, which is about the same that FTDNA does. My closest British ancestor is from the 1600's..

Tolan
01-19-2018, 07:22 PM
I don't have British or Irish ascendants, but given the geographical position of my ancestors, it is probably normal to think that they are genetically close.
Living DNA greatly overestimates compared to FTDNA or 23andMe:

British DNA %:
23andMe: 35%
FTDNA: 46%
LivingDNA 64,6%

Robert1
01-19-2018, 07:37 PM
Ah maybe a typo from Living DNA, Tolan? Instead of Britain they meant 64% Britanny?

J/K :biggrin1:

Tolan
01-19-2018, 11:30 PM
Ah maybe a typo from Living DNA, Tolan? Instead of Britain they meant 64% Britanny?

J/K :biggrin1:

:biggrin1:

Judith
01-20-2018, 08:19 PM
Gives me 12%, which is about the same that FTDNA does. My closest British ancestor is from the 1600's..

I believe what that says is than 12% of British DNA is Norwegian! Which UK areas perchance ?

Mine should be 100% but it is certain that my brother is only 98% British and 2% German

evon
01-20-2018, 10:01 PM
I believe what that says is than 12% of British DNA is Norwegian! Which UK areas perchance ?

Mine should be 100% but it is certain that my brother is only 98% British and 2% German

I think it is real (likely some German in there too), although I dont think the % is written in stone (neither are the regions allocated to me by LivingDNA)... As my English ancestor came from Buildwas Abbey, Telford, and my Scottish/English ancestor, I suspect was from south west Scotland/north west England. Which surprisingly, overlaps very well with my known ancestry..

Northwest England 4.9%
Southeast England 2.3%
Cumbria 2%
South Wales 1.6%
Central England 1.1%

jshook
01-21-2018, 06:45 PM
Absolutely, it does. I think it's the best test on the market right now, so not trying to ding them, but they simply cannot differentiate Germanic DNA much at all. I have pretty significant, recent German ancestry but Living DNA puts all of my European ancestry into Britain and U.K. (save for a 1.4% Scandinavian result.) Comparatively, Ancestry has me at 48% combined Irish and Great British and 11% Western European.

My hope is that will improve when the German project is complete.

fostert
01-21-2018, 09:48 PM
I totally concur - at LDNA I have the highest proportion of British and Irish compared to ethnicity tests at Ancestry, 23&me, FTDNA and MyHeritage:

LDNA -> 70% British/Irish
Ancestry -> 40% British plus Irish
23andme -> 36% British & Irish
FTDNA -> 5% British Isles
myheritage -> 22% English

On paper, I am 25% English and 25% Irish (one each grandparent from England and Ireland) - so very recent British and Irish ancestry.

On the plus side, the breakdown for England is pretty accurate for me; my grandmother was born in Westham, London and her ancestors have been in London for a long time...LDNA says 33% South-England ancestry.

jshook
01-21-2018, 10:45 PM
I totally concur - at LDNA I have the highest proportion of British and Irish compared to ethnicity tests at Ancestry, 23&me, FTDNA and MyHeritage:

On paper, I am 25% English and 25% Irish (one each grandparent from England and Ireland) - so very recent British and Irish ancestry.

On the plus side, the breakdown for England is pretty accurate for me; my grandmother was born in Westham, London and her ancestors have been in London for a long time...LDNA says 33% South-England ancestry.

Agree. Their estimates for my English ancestry match up very well, which is pretty amazing. And I'm a quarter Japanese and they correctly called me at 26.7%. I think it really is only Germanic populations that they have issues with. (Heatmap of my known ancestors and LD results attached)20956

Tolan
01-22-2018, 02:30 PM

By reading your signature, I saw an error of spelling ;)

Most Distant Known Ancestor = Jean Moreau b. 1630s Parthenay, Deux Seuves, France
It's Deux-SŤvres: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deux-S%C3%A8vres

Nortunal
01-22-2018, 04:31 PM
Is there any update on either the Germany or Ireland research project? I havenít heard it mentioned for a while.

jshook
01-23-2018, 02:38 PM
Is there any update on either the Germany or Ireland research project? I haven’t heard it mentioned for a while.

I follow Living DNA's Facebook page and that's a frequently-asked question. Right now, they are telling everyone "sometime in 2018."

fostert
01-23-2018, 02:57 PM
By reading your signature, I saw an error of spelling ;)

Most Distant Known Ancestor = Jean Moreau b. 1630s Parthenay, Deux Seuves, France
It's Deux-SŤvres: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deux-S%C3%A8vres

Thanks Tolan! Its fixed. My fault - typed that up in a hurry one night without checking the spelling.

Kathlingram
01-26-2018, 07:27 PM
I was looking at this thread and a friend sent me the PLoS study of Ireland ..(Insular Celtic population)
What I was wondering is if this is something like Living_DNA will utilize..is the slow down in adding these population samples due to them not being available for purchasing yet? Or is it the difficulty of reworking people's results?
They have me as 100% Great Britain and Ireland.. Everything I know and every other test shows me as about 89-91% and I have Swedish 3rd greats and a group of German/Swiss Palatinate 3rd and 4th Greats
Ancestry DNA has me in two Irish Geographic Communities - Donegal East and Munster ( Cork) with over 1,000 matches.. I also have a Wexford Great Great Grandfather and my Grandfather was 100% Irish..

Admittedly AncestryDNA also has me as heavily Welsh ..North Wales specifically and I have over 1,000 matches there so am sure that soem of what L-D says is accurate.. and valid

Just not 100%

wombatofthenorth
01-28-2018, 04:57 AM
Iím aware that this test only goes back ten generations, but seeing as we can pick up ancestry from much further back than this, does this render extremely high percentages of British dna on this test a bit inaccurate?

It seems when other people take different tests, the % of British DNA comes out lower and more mixed. Likewise, people who donít have any known British ancestry seem to pick up random bits through LDNA. Thoughts?

All tests tend to struggle with UK vs French/German and sometimes also with Scandinavian. LivingDNA seems to bias the calls more towards returning UK whenever it's a tough call. 23 doesn't bias as strongly towards UK. So people from UK tend to be happier with LivingDNA and those from say Germany happier with 23. But in reality neither is likely really any better than the other and you still need to look at ratios.

sktibo
01-28-2018, 06:19 AM

Just because I am quite similar to you (25% Eastern European unknown but from modern day Ukraine) the rest being English, Scottish, Northern Irish, Welsh, and French primarily, I'd like to see how exactly these tests interpreted your DNA - it looks like we have similar issues, FTDNA assigned me a much too low British Isles percentage, giving me mostly West & Central Europe instead: did this happen with yours? myheritage didn't get me any Irish/Scottish/Welsh just English. Hoping you'll share the full results of all your tests with me. I'd be more than happy to share mine with you too of course.

And Living DNA definitely overestimates my British Isles %:
LDNA: 81.8
AncestryDNA: 73 GB + 6 IRE
myheritage: 59.8 English
23andme: 52.7
FTDNA: 24

Paper trail for British Isles is approx. 61.7 - 63 %

fostert
01-28-2018, 09:27 PM
Yes, we do sound similar in admixture! I have reproduced all of my results below to compare. Here are my observations with regard to your specific questions:
1) FTDNA does give me the lowest British Isles percentage at 5%. It seems to have put most of it into Western Europe (47%), and some into Scandinavia (7%).

2) Myheritage misses my Irish quarter altogether and gives me a fairly correct estimate of my English (22%; should be 25%). Probably a fluke.

3) LivingDNA assigns me 70% British/Irish, significantly more than my paper trail suggests (should be something like 25% + 30% Irish).

4) My Eastern Europe is consistently found by all companies, at various levels not too far from the nominal 25% I have.

5) Every one of the tests I have taken (including 3rd party like DNA.Land, gencove and geneplaza) consistently finds a small 6-10% of Southern European component (like Italy, Greece, Balkans). It must be real, but I don't know of any in my tree so must be beyond my genealogical time frame (>350 years ago).

Am just typing in all my results into one displayable spreadsheet table -> will post right away.

fostert
01-28-2018, 11:58 PM
Here is a table of all major tests I have submitted my DNA to or have taken directly:

sktibo
01-29-2018, 01:53 AM
Here is a table of all major tests I have submitted my DNA to or have taken directly:

That's fantastic. Your Eastern Europe shows up way more strongly than mine does. I've found it surprising that my mother's shows up quite strongly but it looks like I hardly got any.

You got 29% Devon and Northumbria on Living DNA - I was assigned a huge Northumbria percentage which is so incredibly inaccurate it is hilarious - 42.1% (3% paper trail) Was this 29% mostly Northumbria for you?

MyHeritage: 59.8 English, 9.0 Scandinavian, 10.6 East European, 4.7 Baltic, 14.8 Iberian, 1.1 Native American

AncestryDNA: GB 73, Ireland 6, Iberia 6, Europe East 4, Scandinavia 3, Europe West 2, Finland 2, Native American 2, Italy/Greece <1, Pacific Islander <1

FTDNA 2.0: West & Central Europe 73, British Isles 24, North and Central America 2, Siberia <1

23andme at 50% (Speculative): British & Irish 52.7, French & German 9.0, Broadly NW European 27.6, Eastern Europe 4.0, Southern Europe 0.5, Ashkenazi 0.2, Broadly European 3.9, Native American 1.3, Broadly East Asian and NA 0.6

Living DNA (Complete Mode): Northumbria 42.1, Aberdeenshire 11.5, Devon 5.6, South England 5.2, South Central Eng 4.4, South Wales 2.8, Cumbria 2.4, East Anglia 2.2, SE England 2.1, Orkney 1.9, Cornwall 1.5,
Scandinavia 7.2, Baltics 1.3, Finland and W Russia 1.2, West Balkans 1.1, Iberian Peninsula 1.2, Northwest Caucasus 3.1, Mesoamerica 1.7, Kurdish 1.4

fostert
01-29-2018, 02:48 AM
That's fantastic. Your Eastern Europe shows up way more strongly than mine does. I've found it surprising that my mother's shows up quite strongly but it looks like I hardly got any.

I'm beginning to realize too that the 50% of my genes inherited from my mum are lop-sided towards her Ukrainian side, and less of her Irish side! I see consistently lower results on Ireland in every test I have - even Ancestry (which probably has the best Irish reference panel out there) is only 15%. Or the array of SNPs tested by each company sample only a subset of my 25% Irish genes.

You got 29% Devon and Northumbria on Living DNA - I was assigned a huge Northumbria percentage which is so incredibly inaccurate it is hilarious - 42.1% (3% paper trail) Was this 29% mostly Northumbria for you?

They were about equal: Northumbria=13%, Devon=16%, SE England=9%, Aberdeenshire=8%, SW Scotland/N.Ireland=5%, S England=5%, Cornwall=4%, S Central England=3%, N. Wales=3%, S. Wales=2%, Orkney=Ireland=1%

MyHeritage: 59.8 English, 9.0 Scandinavian, 10.6 East European, 4.7 Baltic, 14.8 Iberian, 1.1 Native American ....<>

I see every test you took very consistently found a low 1-2% Native American trace...have you verified that in your paper tree? If so then these tests are remarkably sensitive to NA DNA, and/or NA DNA is very much unique enough to not be mistaken for any other type? Is the proportion of 1-2% correct according to whom your NA ancestor was?

I have never had any NA above 0.1% assigned to me in any tests, so I presume there is simply none to find. Strange, considering my french-canadian Ancestors must have been living side-by-side with the mikmaq in New Brunswick fairly recently (back a few generations).

sktibo
01-29-2018, 03:03 AM
I'm beginning to realize too that the 50% of my genes inherited from my mum are lop-sided towards her Ukrainian side, and less of her Irish side! I see consistently lower results on Ireland in every test I have - even Ancestry (which probably has the best Irish reference panel out there) is only 15%. Or the array of SNPs tested by each company sample only a subset of my 25% Irish genes.

They were about equal: Northumbria=13%, Devon=16%, SE England=9%, Aberdeenshire=8%, SW Scotland/N.Ireland=5%, S England=5%, Cornwall=4%, S Central England=3%, N. Wales=3%, S. Wales=2%, Orkney=Ireland=1%

I see every test you took very consistently found a low 1-2% Native American trace...have you verified that in your paper tree? If so then these tests are remarkably sensitive to NA DNA, and/or NA DNA is very much unique enough to not be mistaken for any other type? Is the proportion of 1-2% correct according to whom your NA ancestor was?

I have never had any NA above 0.1% assigned to me in any tests, so I presume there is simply none to find. Strange, considering my french-canadian Ancestors must have been living side-by-side with the mikmaq in New Brunswick fairly recently (back a few generations).

Yes I'm Metis, although my Native American is watered down over the generations I do have status, you can see my full paper trail percentages in my signature - these percentages are about correct for my NA.
One thing I try to keep in mind is that these tests currently don't come close to testing our entire genome, so that might be why your Ireland percentages are low, and my Eastern European ones are low.

Thank you so much for sharing your results with me

fostert
01-29-2018, 03:30 AM
One thing I try to keep in mind is that these tests currently don't come close to testing our entire genome, so that might be why your Ireland percentages are low, and my Eastern European ones are low.

You are totally right - I've thot about this too - i.e. are the SNPs the companies are customizing their chips to detect the best ones to reveal ethnicity? For 23andme, and now Ancestry too, probably not - both their arrays are focused on medical SNPs. LivingDNA seems to sell itself based on ethnicity only, so I'd trust that more, but it needs work too. Would love to see their reference population numbers, but they haven't published the yet in a white paper like Ancestry and 23andme.

sktibo
01-29-2018, 03:55 AM
You are totally right - I've thot about this too - i.e. are the SNPs the companies are customizing their chips to detect the best ones to reveal ethnicity? For 23andme, and now Ancestry too, probably not - both their arrays are focused on medical SNPs. LivingDNA seems to sell itself based on ethnicity only, so I'd trust that more, but it needs work too. Would love to see their reference population numbers, but they haven't published the yet in a white paper like Ancestry and 23andme.

Some companies claim that they focus on ancestral or medical SNPs or whatever but I don't buy that.. Why wouldn't a 'medical' SNP be related to ancestry if we are the products of our ancestors? whatever conditions we inherit come down to us through the same things that give us British or Italian percentages. I think more is better, so if you have 23andme v3 (over 900,000 SNPs) that is probably best, FTDNA at around 700,000 is currently pretty good IMO. But I don't think either of these touch on even 1% of our total genome.
For Living DNA you can see their reference population for Britain by searching the People of the British Isles project, nothing on their mainland European sources unfortunately!

Disclaimer, I am not a geneticist! (But a geneticist did tell me that he thinks these tests aren't going to tell us anything real until they test our whole genome. I am basing these ideas here on what he told me)

RobinBMc
01-29-2018, 03:19 PM
Some companies claim that they focus on ancestral or medical SNPs or whatever but I don't buy that.. Why wouldn't a 'medical' SNP be related to ancestry if we are the products of our ancestors?

I think it just has to do with what SNPs have been identified as being associated with what. We only know that this SNP is associated with that ancestry or that medical condition because we have a reference for it. Sure, there might be an association with a certain ancestry, but if there's no reference for it yet, we can't know what it is and therefore it's useless for ancestry until we do.

I think more is better, so if you have 23andme v3 (over 900,000 SNPs) that is probably best, FTDNA at around 700,000 is currently pretty good IMO.

According to ISOGG, FTDNA removes about 3,000 medically related SNPs. Maybe some of those are also known to be ancestry related, or maybe they are not yet, I don't know.

Disclaimer, I am not a geneticist! (But a geneticist did tell me that he thinks these tests aren't going to tell us anything real until they test our whole genome. I am basing these ideas here on what he told me)

I agree, I think science has only scratched the surface of this, but that's why it's so exciting to look forward to what discoveries will be made in the future.

sktibo
01-29-2018, 05:38 PM
I think it just has to do with what SNPs have been identified as being associated with what. We only know that this SNP is associated with that ancestry or that medical condition because we have a reference for it. Sure, there might be an association with a certain ancestry, but if there's no reference for it yet, we can't know what it is and therefore it's useless for ancestry until we do.

Thank you for the clarification on what these companies might mean by this, that is very good to know.

Your post inspired me to check out the difference in SNPs used on a GEDmatch calculator:
Using Eurogenes K36 at GEDmatch between a MyHeritage kit (approx 677,000 autosomal SNPS, ancestry focus) and a 23andme v3 kit (approx 930,000 SNPS, medical focus)

23andme v3: 163044 SNPs used in this evaluation

MyHeritage: 162375 SNPs used in this evaluation

So it is very close despite a large difference in SNPs tested in each kit, I think it illustrates the point you made, but the kit with the larger number of SNPs still used more (albeit, barely) despite many of them being medical or without references in this test.

Angriff
01-29-2018, 11:50 PM
For me, LivingDNA was far more accurate than any of the calculators/calculations I've played around with on GEDmatch and elsewhere as an American with complex mixed European ancestry. It did overestimate English for me but in a pretty predictable way as far as I can tell (putting a bit of French into Devon & Cornwall and my Saxon German into SE English).

Robert1
01-30-2018, 01:26 AM
I should add my recently updated spreadsheet since I've taken many ancestry tests. Living DNA was quite accurate compared to my paper trail. It dumped about 4% German&Dutch into Southeast England but that's common as we know.

Nortunal
02-06-2018, 07:12 PM
Hopefully theyíll be able to add some updates soon. I appreciate that updates take a long time, however, and a quality update is better than a quick and inaccurate one.

Interesting that many people seem to have other regions of Europe absorbed into Southern England though.

svenderiksen
02-11-2018, 05:32 PM
My LivingDNA results indicate Europe (North and West) at 65.1% and Great Britain and Ireland at 35%. Bear in mind that my family has deep roots in Denmark (Northern Jutland) for at least 300 years, possibly much, much longer (I am I-Z171 or I2a2a1b). This breaks down to Germanic 60.2% and Scandinavia 4.9% and the English part is mostly from Southeast to North Yorkshire. Now, there is no record in my family of any British antecedents. With Family Tree DNA the results are a bit different. There, I am 61% Scandinavian, 23% West and Central Europe and 16% British Isles. Food for thought. Does the British element reflect current populations in GB that have Viking/Angle/Jute inheritance?

Angriff
02-11-2018, 05:52 PM
My LivingDNA results indicate Europe (North and West) at 65.1% and Great Britain and Ireland at 35%. Bear in mind that my family has deep roots in Denmark (Northern Jutland) for at least 300 years, possibly much, much longer (I am I-Z171 or I2a2a1b). This breaks down to Germanic 60.2% and Scandinavia 4.9% and the English part is mostly from Southeast to North Yorkshire. Now, there is no record in my family of any British antecedents. With Family Tree DNA the results are a bit different. There, I am 61% Scandinavian, 23% West and Central Europe and 16% British Isles. Food for thought. Does the British element reflect current populations in GB that have Viking/Angle/Jute inheritance?

This is almost certainly what it is reflecting, especially if you're getting SE England and East Anglia as regions of English ancestry. It should be interesting to see how well it teases this apart after they get regional data for Germany and Scandinavia added to their dataset.

Pylsteen
02-11-2018, 06:31 PM
Yes they gave me 68% British (mostly the Eastern and Southeastern coast) and say 20% Scandinavian (representing Dutch). In comparison FTDNA gave me ca. 50% British and ca 25% West/Central Europe. It must be, certainly for North(western) Europe, due to shared ancestry from Angles, Saxons, some Scandinavians.

Nortunal
02-11-2018, 08:19 PM

North Yorkshire stretches right to the east coast so itís not surprising that thereís probably Scandinavian influence. Itís likely the test is flagging up a false positive for you. If you have no known British ancestry then I wouldnít really think too much about it. A lot of British people get Scandinavian on their results so I guess the populations are too similar to accurately tell apart in certain circumstances.

Dewsloth
05-14-2018, 07:18 PM
For Dad, it was a mixed bag. It did a brilliant job highlighting the same regions in the British Isles where we had known ancestors, but fell flat in missing that nearly half Dad's ancestry was from the continent (it only had him as Scandinavian and Finn/West Russian, no French, German, Belgian, Dutch, etc). Like others found, it just dumped the German(ic) into the Germanic English regions.

For comparison, Dad's K36 and his LivingDNA:
https://fusiontables.google.com/embedviz?q=select+col39%3E%3E1+from+1skwdJmHEiACrP KulOMLtLUmSU3h8uMqQOWWY6Xvd&viz=MAP&h=false&lat=48.639870255142746&lng=22.326959687499993&t=1&z=5&l=col39%3E%3E1&y=2&tmplt=2&hml=KML

Europe 100%
Great Britain and Ireland 71.1%
Southeast England 20.6%
East Anglia 13.6%
Lincolnshire 12.2%
South Central England 9.5%
South Yorkshire 4.7%
Cumbria 2.4%
Northwest Scotland 2.4%
Devon 2.3%
Cornwall 2.2%
North Yorkshire 1.2%
Europe (South) 14.3%
North Italy 11.1%
Aegean 3.2%
Europe (North and West) 8.2%
Scandinavia 8.2%
Europe (East) 6.4%
West Balkans 2.6%
East Balkans 2%
Finland and Western Russia 1.8%

^^I think all Dad's GB/I regions above are correct, just the percentages for some are over-inflated.

And now Dad's new Ancestry breakdown for comparison.

They take the opposite tilt from LivingDNA and relegate his British to a "low-confidence" category :lol:
Intriguingly, both found moderate Scandinavian and a trace of Russian/Finland that I guess could be from either half of his ancestry.

Europe West 55%
Europe South 17%
Ireland/Scotland/Wales 12%
Iberian Peninsula 6%
Scandinavia 5%
"Low Confidence Regions"
European Jewish 2%
Great Britain 2%
Finland/Northwest Russia 1%

Molfish
05-21-2018, 09:30 AM
I would find the results more understandable if my missing Irish went into Scotland rather than England & Wales. It seems to be mainly Southern Britain that is overestimated.

My results in Complete mode (roughly half Irish & English)

87.8% England + Scotland + Wales
9.6% Ireland + SW Scotland & N. Ireland
2.4% Scandinavia

78.8% England + Wales + Northumbria
18.5% Ireland + Scotland + Orkney
2.4% Scandinavia

Angriff
05-21-2018, 10:22 AM
I would find the results more understandable if my missing Irish went into Scotland rather than England & Wales. It seems to be mainly Southern Britain that is overestimated.

My results in Complete mode (roughly half Irish & English)

87.8% England + Scotland + Wales
9.6% Ireland + SW Scotland & N. Ireland
2.4% Scandinavia

78.8% England + Wales + Northumbria
18.5% Ireland + Scotland + Orkney
2.4% Scandinavia

It would be interesting to see a screenshot with the actual breakdown of the regions it assigned you in England.

Molfish
05-21-2018, 01:53 PM
It would be interesting to see a screenshot with the actual breakdown of the regions it assigned you in England.
In Complete mode
The top two regions are the approximate regions of actual English ancestry. There may be some minor Welsh on my Irish side affecting it.

kingjohn
05-21-2018, 05:08 PM
yes i even saw a kurd results in you tube
who scored 2% british
so yes they {living dna } do overestimate british dna ......

BjŲrnsson
10-29-2019, 08:45 PM
In my honest opinion, the fact that Living DNA (91.2%) and Ancestry DNA (95-6%) both count most of my genes as British Isles, shows how compatible German, Dutch and French is to them and so, whether or not these ancestors became mine in Britain or America, distantly or recently, it makes no difference--they may as well have been part of the same population 1,500 years ago. I'm mostly British Isles on paper anyway, so random family here and there, would inevitably result in genetic assimilation to this conclusion. Now, if I was mostly German, Dutch and French, with the odd infusions of British Isles, I would also expect to find the reverse as true. The only thing is, Living DNA says Aegean 7.6% and Pashtun 1.2%, while Ancestry DNA says 4-5% Norwegian. Living DNA says I'm mostly Mercia-Wessex and Northumbria, matching my family tree, but the overseas DNA populations don't fit. Ancestry DNA gets Norwegian right because of my paternal lineage, but doesn't have my Stateside regional populations right--only showing Virginian and Canadian, but no New Englander, despite my birth and breeding being directly ingrained in that, back to the colonial founder of my home state and I've only gotten indirect exposure to the others across the generations and anecdotal relations of the olden days. I've learned just how much I am not Yankee, yet that is what I still am more than anything else. I cannot rely on either Living DNA or Ancestry DNA, alone or together, except with the help of Gedmatch to put them into perspective, with MDLP K23b Oracle the most accurate and nearest of 20 places. I'm not the least bit surprised that I'm mostly British Isles, Western and Northern European, in that order of relevance. Anything else would need to be in my family tree and just isn't.

marciadietrich
12-02-2019, 08:15 PM
I did an upload of my 23andme raw data (perhaps makes a difference as not their kit) and to me this does overestimate. Perhaps because my other bits were then admixed to British/Irish/Scottish. I do have a 2nd Great Grandmother born in Germany (actually Prussia - Pomerania which I think is actually Poland and I usually get Eastern European results, even Russian). This is one of the few along with Ancestry that gives me 100% European and the only one that gives me 100% Great Britian and Ireland.

I have Swiss, German, Netherlands and some Iberian and French Canadian known. Tree wise though they did all intermix with Brit/Irish/Scottish. It does seem accurate for the places shown in Ireland and UK, mostly like what I see on 23andme and Ancestry.

I have 35% German on 23andme but they did raise that after they had my dad's results as well, they started me at 10%

Nqp15hhu
12-03-2019, 12:01 AM
It underestimated British DNA for me. :(

marciadietrich
12-04-2019, 02:12 AM
It underestimated British DNA for me. :(

Are you 100% Irish? I have heard a lot of Americans mix for some reason will show as high or higher than natives of UK or Ireland. Let me see if this works to show mine, it appears some of my Irish is in Northern Ireland. I guess some is too general to tell and so the green color?

Marcia

Nqp15hhu
12-04-2019, 12:16 PM
No I am not. I am about 30% Ulster Scots.