PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Geno 2 with the New Helix Gen 2 Inputation Platform

Amerijoe
01-15-2018, 10:28 PM
Reviewing my ancestry breakdown results with various testing companies, I average between 90% to 98% percent British. Others give me near half Irish with Scot, English, Welsh in varying percentages as the major balance. Having no knowledge of my paternal side my efforts were directed to try to uncover that ancestry. Fish in all the ponds I did and then some. Taken over two years ago, the Geno 2 Results seemed to fit niecely assuming dad was a product of the British Isles. Here are those results.

As you can see the results show British ancestry in the high 90% which pretty much affirms to a high correlation my other tested results. The only thing unusual is the lack of Scandinavian which one would assume a Scot would have as well as many Irish. They are not the only ones to exhibit the lack of Scandinavian. LivingDNA has me down as 4.6% Scandinavian with a couple of others in the very low percentile.

Inputation analysis is on the the rise for better or worst. Livingdna was one of the first from what I understand to incorporate this platform into their testing model. Based on their regional subsets, most people seem to be somewhat satisfied with their results. Mine seem to make sense in their distribution, but cannot affirm their validity due to a half tree. Since the original Geno 2 had an error in maternal designation and the Helix version was on sale, I decided to see if they could improve on the prior results. So I click my heels three times and simultaneously exulting the words, I am a Viking, I am a Viking. Through shear willpower of thought, I was able to epigenetically change my DNA and officially become hung with horn. Hear me roar, ĎI am a Vikingí. Listed below is the proof.

The first Geno 2 tested approx. 700K snps. The Helix version test around 250K snps. Old version tested 20K Y snps with 4K maternal. Helix tests 3K maternal, 10K paternal with the balance being mostly regional. Inputation does seem to work better with some companies than others. Itís all in the selected subsets as this result indicate. Wonky subsets, wonky results.

They did correct the maternal haplogroup and the paternal remained the same. Someone who has no knowledge of their background can be easily led astray with results like this. Helix will not back up their results using Inputation for medical analysis. That being the case, one can project the same premise with their ancestry results. Inputation is their new guessing tool. Seems to need some sharpening.

mwauthy
01-17-2018, 07:01 PM
Great Britain, Europe West, and Scandinavia are almost interchangeable on many of these websites and that is why a few websites lump them all together as Northwestern Europe. If your first reference population had been English on the original Natgeo test I would not be surprised to see it as Danish now. Whatís odd and surprising is that it went from Irish to Danish. Iíd always assumed the Irish were more distinct and less Germanic than the rest of the Isles.

kingjohn
01-17-2018, 07:28 PM
i would count on the geno2 next results older version without imputation ;)
i also did geno 2 next the older as i know helix is only for american costumers .....
guessing .....

Celt_??
01-17-2018, 09:18 PM
[QUOTE=Amerijoe;334013]Reviewing my ancestry breakdown results with various testing companies, I average between 90% to 98% percent British. Others give me near half Irish with Scot, English, Welsh in varying percentages as the major balance. Having no knowledge of my paternal side my efforts were directed to try to uncover that ancestry. Fish in all the ponds I did and then some. Taken over two years ago, the Geno 2 Results seemed to fit niecely assuming dad was a product of the British Isles. Here are those results.

As you can see the results show British ancestry in the high 90% which pretty much affirms to a high correlation my other tested results. The only thing unusual is the lack of Scandinavian which one would assume a Scot would have as well as many Irish. They are not the only ones to exhibit the lack of Scandinavian. LivingDNA has me down as 4.6% Scandinavian with a couple of others in the very low percentile.

Inputation analysis is on the the rise for better or worst. Livingdna was one of the first from what I understand to incorporate this platform into their testing model. Based on their regional subsets, most people seem to be somewhat satisfied with their results. Mine seem to make sense in their distribution, but cannot affirm their validity due to a half tree. Since the original Geno 2 had an error in maternal designation and the Helix version was on sale, I decided to see if they could improve on the prior results. So I click my heels three times and simultaneously exulting the words, I am a Viking, I am a Viking. Through shear willpower of thought, I was able to epigenetically change my DNA and officially become hung with horn. Hear me roar, ‘I am a Viking’. Listed below is the proof.

Did you test with Living DNA or not? If so what were their results? I'm curious because I tested Geno 2.0 original and then Living DNA.
And what is your YDNA haplogroup: R-U106? or are you R-L21? That should tell you something about your paternal side.

Amerijoe
01-17-2018, 09:54 PM
Did you test with Living DNA or not? If so what were their results? I'm curious because I tested Geno 2.0 original and then Living DNA.
And what is your YDNA haplogroup: R-U106? or are you R-L21? That should tell you something about your paternal side.

Celt, Iím R1a>Z2123>Y15121>YP6291. Through my maternal auntís dna, I have determined my grandfather must have belonged to M269 due to the preponderance of her matches (McKenzie). I have no family knowledge of my paternal side. Livingdna has me assigned in regional complete mode as follows, GB&I 94.3, Europe (N&W) 4.6 [subregion has it listed as Scandinavian], Kurdish 1.1.

wombatofthenorth
01-28-2018, 03:34 AM
"Helix tests 3K maternal."

when people look at the RAW it seems to show over 14k.