PDA

View Full Version : You get the funniest matches

firemonkey
01-20-2018, 01:51 AM
Match from Costa Rica . 9.4 cMs - 1 segment . Only shared ethnicity is Finnish. Think this is probably IBS though as it goes from 32-71 million

therrien.joel
01-20-2018, 02:34 AM
I have two matches with folks that have very clearly Vietnamese names. But looking at admixture for them, it's also clear they are probably half European. Threw me for a real loop at first because they probably weren't IBS based on the match.

timberwolf
01-21-2018, 06:35 PM
Yes you certainly do. I have a number of matches from Scandinavia.

What is interesting however, is I have quite a few matches with people of Spanish descent, who all match me on a certain part of chromosome six. The exact part that 23andme assigned Iberian to me. There may be something in it, there may not. Still it is interesting, and thought provoking.

evon
01-21-2018, 07:10 PM
I have two matches with folks that have very clearly Vietnamese names. But looking at admixture for them, it's also clear they are probably half European. Threw me for a real loop at first because they probably weren't IBS based on the match.

FTDNA? You might want to google the e-mail adr, as we have a few such matches, they seem to mostly be Vietnamese that have been tested by a NGO. The NGO is focused on finding American "relatives", meaning former soldiers who fathered offspring while serving in Vietnam...

My strangest match is likely a Iranian Jewish match at 12 cM that is located on a pileup region on my 10th chromosome (so I guess it is really old)..

timberwolf
01-21-2018, 07:18 PM
FTDNA? You might want to google the e-mail adr, as we have a few such matches, they seem to mostly be Vietnamese that have been tested by a NGO. The NGO is focused on finding American "relatives", meaning former soldiers who fathered offspring while serving in Vietnam...

My strangest match is likely a Iranian Jewish match at 12 cM that is located on a pileup region on my 10th chromosome (so I guess it is really old)..

My most interesting matches are the Spanish on ch 6, is there any significance age wise to this?

Geborgenheit
01-21-2018, 07:37 PM
As many from you may already know, I am from Latvia, but I am not ethnically Latvian.
Recently, I have got a Latvian Australian match, clearly an ethnic Latvian. How ? I hope the match was not just assigned based on my address.

kingjohn
01-21-2018, 07:39 PM
As many from you may already know, I am from Latvia, but I am not ethnically Latvian.
Recently, I have got a Latvian Australian match, clearly an ethnic Latvian. How ? I hope the match was not just assigned based on my address.

do you have some aschenazi jews matches ?

evon
01-21-2018, 07:40 PM
My most interesting matches are the Spanish on ch 6, is there any significance age wise to this?

You can often get a rough estimate based on the cM and SNP count of a segment, but in the case of pile-up regions, such as the one on the 10th chr, they can be much older than conventional segments... I am just surprised 23andme has not taken this into account...

Geborgenheit
01-21-2018, 08:00 PM

I have to go through many pages and guess based on surname to find any, but I have some, many are part Jewish from the United States like 15% Ashkenazi, but I have also found one real Ashkenazi, the surname Lipschitz is very Ashkenazi, I guess.

timberwolf
01-21-2018, 08:00 PM
You can often get a rough estimate based on the cM and SNP count of a segment, but in the case of pile-up regions, such as the one on the 10th chr, they can be much older than conventional segments... I am just surprised 23andme has not taken this into account...

OK

This is what i got

6,154623206,161806740,rs73571021,rs17641124,10.57, 4480 (10.6‎ cM)
Shared DNA
Shared segments
10.6‎ cM

6,155022713,161621784,rs7754964,rs3798930,8.81,409 6(8.8‎ cM)
Shared DNA
Shared segments
8.8‎ cM
Largest segment

6,155284096,162077582,rs79012168,rs6908041,9.94,43 52(9.9‎ cM)
Shared DNA
Shared segments
9.9‎ cM
Largest segment

6,155460597,162077582,rs7771405,rs6908041,9.4,4224 (9.4‎ cM)
Shared DNA
Shared segments
9.4‎ cM
Largest segment

These are all people of Spanish descent, one with some southern French, that match me basically on the exact same spot on ch6. If they are real matches, how old would the match be?

I also have Scandinavian matches that are similar lengths, but all on different matching chromosomes.

MonkeyDLuffy
01-21-2018, 08:10 PM
I had a hispanic match, he messaged me asking if I have some native american in me. It was probably shared ENF or maybe ANE.

timberwolf
01-21-2018, 08:13 PM
As for one of my Norwegian matches 98.4 Scandinavian. small percent Italian

10,45877441,52008730,rs3780898,rs10825492,9.6,1792 (9.6‎ cM)
Shared DNA
Shared segments
9.6‎ cM
Largest segment

evon
01-21-2018, 08:58 PM
OK

This is what i got

6,154623206,161806740,rs73571021,rs17641124,10.57, 4480 (10.6‎ cM)
Shared DNA
Shared segments
10.6‎ cM

6,155022713,161621784,rs7754964,rs3798930,8.81,409 6(8.8‎ cM)
Shared DNA
Shared segments
8.8‎ cM
Largest segment

6,155284096,162077582,rs79012168,rs6908041,9.94,43 52(9.9‎ cM)
Shared DNA
Shared segments
9.9‎ cM
Largest segment

6,155460597,162077582,rs7771405,rs6908041,9.4,4224 (9.4‎ cM)
Shared DNA
Shared segments
9.4‎ cM
Largest segment

These are all people of Spanish descent, one with some southern French, that match me basically on the exact same spot on ch6. If they are real matches, how old would the match be?

I also have Scandinavian matches that are similar lengths, but all on different matching chromosomes.

10cM can be quite old, I have a few southern European matches at around that size, so I would say anything between 100-1000 years, but most likely within the last 500 (this is just my own guesstimation though)...

evon
01-21-2018, 08:59 PM
I had a hispanic match, he messaged me asking if I have some native american in me. It was probably shared ENF or maybe ANE.

Many south and east Asians migrated to South America ;)

MonkeyDLuffy
01-21-2018, 09:03 PM
Many south and east Asians migrated to South America ;)

Indeed there is a nice population of South asians in Surinam, but he was from mexico with around 89% European and rest American Indian. Still very weird match. My matching list on Gedmatch and 23andme is flooded with East europeans and kavkaz groups the most.

timberwolf
01-21-2018, 09:06 PM
10cM can be quite old, I have a few southern European matches at around that size, so I would say anything between 100-1000 years, but most likely within the last 500 (this is just my own guesstimation though)...

Thanks evon

500 years is beyond genealogical reach o'course. It does offer some interesting questions and possibilities, assuming these matches are real.

evon
01-21-2018, 09:12 PM
Indeed there is a nice population of South asians in Surinam, but he was from mexico with around 89% European and rest American Indian. Still very weird match. My matching list on Gedmatch and 23andme is flooded with East europeans and kavkaz groups the most.

I would guess a common steppe type connection in many instances, Tatars etc, carry some south and east Asian admixture... But in many instances admixture does not correlate with segment matches, so I would not read too much into that, he might have some Asian ancestry that is not visible in his admixture %, or you could have some European ancestry that does not show up...

MonkeyDLuffy
01-21-2018, 09:16 PM
I would guess a common steppe type connection in many instances, Tatars etc, carry some south and east Asian admixture... But in many instances admixture does not correlate with segment matches, so I would not read too much into that, he might have some Asian ancestry that is not visible in his admixture %, or you could have some European ancestry that does not show up...

The direct European population is impossible in me, but yea Steppe or Farmer type of ancestry is a big possibility. Plus Native americans carry Siberian kind of ancestry which shows as "South Asian" in Pure native american results. So it'd be interesting to know where the link came from.

evon
01-21-2018, 10:46 PM
The direct European population is impossible in me, but yea Steppe or Farmer type of ancestry is a big possibility. Plus Native americans carry Siberian kind of ancestry which shows as "South Asian" in Pure native american results. So it'd be interesting to know where the link came from.

It is highly unlikely you would match someone via ANE ancestry. Why is it impossible with a European ancestor? We like to get around you know ;)

MonkeyDLuffy
01-21-2018, 11:04 PM
It is highly unlikely you would match someone via ANE ancestry. Why is it impossible with a European ancestor? We like to get around you know ;)

Ahaha, giving the history of our region, culture and religion, we kill each other for marrying outside the tribe, let alone mixing with europeans lmao. It'd be as strange as for me to have an European ancestor as a Mongolian Shaman in Gobi desert. We didn't have any British presence in our region either.

evon
01-22-2018, 09:29 AM
Ahaha, giving the history of our region, culture and religion, we kill each other for marrying outside the tribe, let alone mixing with europeans lmao. It'd be as strange as for me to have an European ancestor as a Mongolian Shaman in Gobi desert. We didn't have any British presence in our region either.

Could be from a source far older than British colonial rule, Europeans have been in south Asia since at least the Hellenistic period, so could be from any number of sources, also not directly from Europe... PS: even Mongolia has experienced a European presence, with German miners who were taken from Europe during the Mongol empire.. Like I said, we get around :car:

MonkeyDLuffy
01-22-2018, 01:11 PM
Could be from a source far older than British colonial rule, Europeans have been in south Asia since at least the Hellenistic period, so could be from any number of sources, also not directly from Europe... PS: even Mongolia has experienced a European presence, with German miners who were taken from Europe during the Mongol empire.. Like I said, we get around :car:

If we go that far back, anything is possible lmao. ;)

FionnSneachta
01-22-2018, 03:29 PM
My mum has five Norwegian 3rd to 5th cousin matches with a percentage in the 90s with no Irish perecentage. Three of them match my mum on chromosome 8. I'd love if there was a browse matches by country or ethnicity option that would group them all together just for the sake of curiosity.

wombatofthenorth
01-28-2018, 04:04 AM

Latvians do tend to get a few Ukrainian matches. Maybe some Baltic German types (they could be of various mixed origins) and tended to really get around. Also Latvians sometimes have a touch of Lithuanian and they often have a bit of Polish and others have some direct Polish or mediated through bits of Baltic German and some Polish went to the Ukraine a few gens back.

Also Latvians were forced into the Russian army and had LONG terms of service, some never came back and ended up in Russia or the Ukraine way back in the 1700 or 1800s. Also there was one time when they gave free land out in parts of Russia, perhaps in the Ukraine too and a few Latvians ended up there. Also there was a time when the Russians sort of captured some Latvians and took them into Russia and forced them into Russian Orthodox church and some of then ended up being sent all over.

There were small numbers of Russians and Ukrainians in Latvia in the 1700s and 1800s.

Anyway how knows how, but it doesn't seem so crazy to me to imagine you could have a Latvian match even though it seems, looking at the flags that you are maybe mostly Ukrainian and French?

Also speaking of the French, Napoleon did go through Latvia and some of the soldiers did have out of wedlock kids there, etc. And some French also got mediated in through Baltic Germans of more French type ancestry. And there is a rumor that the Latvian Orleans of the Lithuanian/Latvian border might actually trace back to fleeing Huguenots of a branch of the Orleans family of the French court way back when.

So who knows.

wombatofthenorth
01-28-2018, 04:05 AM

good point it could also be mediated by Ashkenazi as well possibly, although it definitely doesn't have to be way by any means

wombatofthenorth
01-28-2018, 04:06 AM
I have to go through many pages and guess based on surname to find any, but I have some, many are part Jewish from the United States like 15% Ashkenazi, but I have also found one real Ashkenazi, the surname Lipschitz is very Ashkenazi, I guess.

The real question is do you score any and does your Australian match of Latvian ancestry score any?

wombatofthenorth
01-28-2018, 04:11 AM
Also, forgot I was in the MyHeritage section, some of their matches have seemed suspect in the past, very suspect, although the new algorithm as of a week ago or so does seem to be a lot better.

evon
01-28-2018, 10:01 AM
My mum has five Norwegian 3rd to 5th cousin matches with a percentage in the 90s with no Irish perecentage. Three of them match my mum on chromosome 8. I'd love if there was a browse matches by country or ethnicity option that would group them all together just for the sake of curiosity.

What company did you test with? We have plenty of Irish matches at FTDNA, 23andme, Myheritage and Dna.Land etc...

Geborgenheit
01-28-2018, 12:23 PM
Anyway how knows how, but it doesn't seem so crazy to me to imagine you could have a Latvian match even though it seems, looking at the flags that you are maybe mostly Ukrainian and French?

Paldies par jautājumu. :)

I need to clarify one thing. My flags do not reflect my ancestry. You see, I was born in Latvia, I speak Latvian, I hold the Latvian citizenship, but I know that I do not have Latvian ancestry at least for the last hundred couples of years. Almost the same story with French. I speak French, I know the French culture, but my ancestors are not French. Still, I wish to honour Latvia and France, since I have connection to these countries, although on the genetic level there is no connection at all.

I am Ukrainian, with a small amount with the following countries bordering Ukraine: Moldova, Romania, Poland and Belarus. That's why I am surprised to have a Latvian match with the most typical Latvian surname Ozoliņš. Then I have another one with Latvian Brazilian, but he has a Polish surname in his profile.

I know that there have been up to 200.000 Latvian refugees in Germany at the end of WW2, an immense number for Latvia. People were fleeing from the Red army, from the possibility to be sent to death in Siberia. Many have gone to the United States, some to Canada, Australia...

Ukrainians are quite a rare ethnic group for Latvia, there are much more Russians, Belarusians and even Poles in Latvia and there are almost no Latvians in Ukraine, after all both countries are not even bordering each other... The only thing which would make sense for me a connection from the times of Poland-Lithuania.

Geborgenheit
01-28-2018, 12:27 PM
The real question is do you score any and does your Australian match of Latvian ancestry score any?

I do not have the full version of MyHeritage to see all ethnicities. All I see that I match my Latvian matches based on "Eastern European" ancestry.

Regarding Ashkenazi, I have done probably a dozen of tests. The only test clearly showing any Ashkenazi ancestry for me is MyHeritage giving 1% of Ashkenazi. Can it be that this 1% is that strong ?

kingjohn
01-28-2018, 01:32 PM
I do not have the full version of MyHeritage to see all ethnicities. All I see that I match my Latvian matches based on "Eastern European" ancestry.

Regarding Ashkenazi, I have done probably a dozen of tests. The only test clearly showing any Ashkenazi ancestry for me is MyHeritage giving 1% of Ashkenazi. Can it be that this 1% is that strong ?

probably not that strong :)
and my heritage give many non- jews some aschenazi %

FionnSneachta
01-28-2018, 04:39 PM
What company did you test with? We have plenty of Irish matches at FTDNA, 23andme, Myheritage and Dna.Land etc...

The test was done with Ancestry (98% Irish, 1% Finland/Northwest Europe and <1% Europe East) and then transferred to MyHeritage. My mum does get plenty of Irish matches too. She gets 1982 matches on MyHeritage. 71 of the matches have their location as Ireland. However, there's probably more than this since there's no location with my mum or dad's kit but just my own from setting up the account and these would be still people living in Ireland and excluding the US, etc. Although going by that logic, there could also be more Norwegian matches and I have shared matches with them all. Interestingly, no matches come up in the neighbouring countries of Sweden, Denmark and Finland. These are matches that have Scandinavian and no Irish percentage. I've included an image of her Norwegian matches compared to herself. The third and fifth match are shared matches. The fourth and seventh matches are also shared matches. The sixth and seventh matches are shared too. Going by this it seems that I either have a Norwegian ancestor somewhere back or else these matches have an Irish ancestor somewhere going back.

My dad's test done with FTDNA (99% British Isles and <1% South America) and uploaded to MyHeritage (99% Irish and <1% Nigerian) has one Norwegian 3rd to 5th cousin match coming up with the match having no Irish percentage. The match is 74.8% Scandinavian, 18.8% Baltic, 1.1% Italian, 1.1% Ashkenazi Jewish and 4.2% West Asian. It's interesting to look at these types of match to figure out where the connection could be.

evon
01-28-2018, 05:16 PM
The test was done with Ancestry (98% Irish, 1% Finland/Northwest Europe and <1% Europe East) and then transferred to MyHeritage. My mum does get plenty of Irish matches too. She gets 1982 matches on MyHeritage. 71 of the matches have their location as Ireland. However, there's probably more than this since there's no location with my mum or dad's kit but just my own from setting up the account and these would be still people living in Ireland and excluding the US, etc. Although going by that logic, there could also be more Norwegian matches and I have shared matches with them all. Interestingly, no matches come up in the neighbouring countries of Sweden, Denmark and Finland. These are matches that have Scandinavian and no Irish percentage. I've included an image of her Norwegian matches compared to herself. The third and fifth match are shared matches. The fourth and seventh matches are also shared matches. The sixth and seventh matches are shared too. Going by this it seems that I either have a Norwegian ancestor somewhere back or else these matches have an Irish ancestor somewhere going back.

My dad's test done with FTDNA (99% British Isles and <1% South America) and uploaded to MyHeritage (99% Irish and <1% Nigerian) has one Norwegian 3rd to 5th cousin match coming up with the match having no Irish percentage. The match is 74.8% Scandinavian, 18.8% Baltic, 1.1% Italian, 1.1% Ashkenazi Jewish and 4.2% West Asian. It's interesting to look at these types of match to figure out where the connection could be.

I had a look at our matches with Ireland as their listed location (you are of course right, most matches dont have a listed location), and the magic number seems to be 5 Irish matches (with their location listed) for most of us (we are 9 tested Norwegians in all). The highest segment cM of these matches is at 13.5cM. I have looked at our common matches, and they seem to be a mixture of western Norwegians, Brits and Germans (one or two Irish matches there too, but mostly Brits). So my guess is we share some common German type ancestry (maybe facilitated by Jewish migrations, or via merchants). Alternativly we could share English, or Scottish ancestry as I have inherited some DNA from two British ancestors. All my Irish matches have some Italian %, usually around 1-2%, I get 5,8% Italian with Myheritage.

wombatofthenorth
01-29-2018, 06:52 AM
Paldies par jautājumu. :)

I need to clarify one thing. My flags do not reflect my ancestry. You see, I was born in Latvia, I speak Latvian, I hold the Latvian citizenship, but I know that I do not have Latvian ancestry at least for the last hundred couples of years. Almost the same story with French. I speak French, I know the French culture, but my ancestors are not French. Still, I wish to honour Latvia and France, since I have connection to these countries, although on the genetic level there is no connection at all.

I am Ukrainian, with a small amount with the following countries bordering Ukraine: Moldova, Romania, Poland and Belarus. That's why I am surprised to have a Latvian match with the most typical Latvian surname Ozoliņš. Then I have another one with Latvian Brazilian, but he has a Polish surname in his profile.

I know that there have been up to 200.000 Latvian refugees in Germany at the end of WW2, an immense number for Latvia. People were fleeing from the Red army, from the possibility to be sent to death in Siberia. Many have gone to the United States, some to Canada, Australia...

Ukrainians are quite a rare ethnic group for Latvia, there are much more Russians, Belarusians and even Poles in Latvia and there are almost no Latvians in Ukraine, after all both countries are not even bordering each other... The only thing which would make sense for me a connection from the times of Poland-Lithuania.

Yeah both sides of my family ended up in DP camps on U.S. army bases in Germany after having to flee Latvia in the middle of the night. Other than for the ones who got to Germany who ended up being unfortunate enough to end up in Russian occupied Germany, yeah almost all of the Latvians in those D.P. camps eventually ended up in either the U.S., Canada, U.K., New Zealand or Australia (the U.S. for us).

Probably mediated by some sort of Baltic German ancestry then (maybe ones who had a lot of Polish ancestry). Drafted Latvians did pass through the Ukraine though at various times though so you never know, always a chance it could be more direct.

In much more recent times, WWI era, my grandfather got drafted as a young teen into some sort of Russian force and went through the Ukraine, said he saw terrible things, someone, I guess some Russian group maybe, had just burned out all the crops and destroyed all the food, mass starvation and he said he saw some resorting to things maybe too horrible for me to mention to prevent starving.

You can't really judge by surnames in Latvia so well. When the ethnic Latvians got freed and were either assigned or allowed to chose surnames, they got all sorts of types, many got purely Latvian type surnames, but many also got very German, Swedish or Polish surnames, even ones who were probably 96%+ Latvian for the last 2000 years. We traced one of our lines to 1679, seemingly ethnic Latvian all the way, and that guy ended up having his later lines turn into all sorts of surnames (keep in mind that in neither the father nor grandfather were around at the time of naming, each brother could potentially be assigned or take a different surname!) like Steinberg and Bergmann. And on my dad's side we traced one line to a surnameless Latvian serf who then got the Wilkeps surname which then turned into Wilcewski and then Vilcevskis. Anyway, simply look at the surname, whether it seems German or Swedish or Polish basically tells you nothing in Latvia. OTOH, if you see a Russian-type surname then it is much more likely the person has extensive Russian ancestry as only a very few ethnic Baltic Latvians ever ended up with Russian surnames (mostly just a few who captured and forced into Russian Orthodox or a few who got free land and ended up getting pushed to take Russian surnames and not all that many of these got back to Latvia ever). If anything first names sometimes give better clues. And certainly when you see a line first get a surname, if it is pre-1826 or 1835, then it starts to have more meaning as to origin and tends to also much less likely be associated with primarily ethnic Baltic Latvians (although a very, very few did get freed early, there were also very small numbers of non-Baron class regular working class Baltic Gemans (which is what most Baltic Germans were, probably less than 1% were the "von" Baron types) who married Latvians in those earlier pre-freedom days, the barons I don't think ever married them although they had out of wedlock kids with them for sure).

Anyway to get back to the Ukraine, one of my mom's matches that seems to be super Ukrainian traces their strictly maternal line back to Poland, probably some Polish line split with some going to Latvia as Baltic Germans and some to the Ukraine. My dad has a few matches that are very Ukrainian and Balkan and so does one of my dad's closest Latvian matches and she apparently even traces some her ancestry to Ukrainian background although on her French side I think actually (not that French ancestry has anything to do with you). My dad has a few curious matches like one guy who is Slovenian, all lines traces into the 1700s. And then one guy who is almost 100% Cypriot and Egyptian but recently found he had one ancestry from Croatia. My dad does score tiny bits of Balkan on DNA tests. The classes of people who had surnames in Eastern Europe before 1800 did get around a bit. Heck, on my mom's Baltic German line, one of the surnames that eventually appears is Berklai which almost certainly eventually goes back to the Barclays of Scotland and she hits the surname Tschiniske/Tschiniskij (Ciniski/Tziniski/Cziniski/Tziniski/Czinisky/etc. who knows) which might come directly from Poland perhaps or maybe through Slovakia inbetween (did find a record with that surname way back in one Slovakian book). FWIW, the Ukrainian match of hers that I mentioend above where she knows her paternal lines traces back to Poland, has Tzinsky surname, missing an extra 'i', but who knows, that form without the extra 'i' is vastly more common.

wombatofthenorth
01-29-2018, 06:56 AM

Well if you don't get any on 23 or FTDNA but just here, that does seem potentially dubious (then again FTDNA and Geno don't show that under 2%, even 3% in some cases, and 23 sometimes blends over tiny bits of ancestry if they are surrounded by large chunks of your main ancestry).

Ashkenazi had such a bottleneck that they all tend to seem somewhat related so even a little can start to bring up matches though. I think there was one person who had like 12% Ashkenazi and ended up with like 50% of their matches or more being almost totally Ashkenazi. Between so many Jewish people having tested compared to non-Jewish Eastern Europeans and how Ashkenazi match each other so easily it can happen.

WilliamAllan
01-29-2018, 03:40 PM

Heh, I have the exact same thing. I match with both of them on the same chromosome (11) but at different locations. I have nothing in my background remotely from SE Asia so I've always figured they must be part European.

Geborgenheit
01-29-2018, 04:36 PM
Yeah both sides of my family ended up in DP camps on U.S. army bases in Germany after having to flee Latvia in the middle of the night. Other than for the ones who got to Germany who ended up being unfortunate enough to end up in Russian occupied Germany, yeah almost all of the Latvians in those D.P. camps eventually ended up in either the U.S., Canada, U.K., New Zealand or Australia (the U.S. for us).

The story has been tough for Latvia and Latvians. There are some Latvians which have returned to Latvia starting from 1990's, but the most will never return, it seems.

Probably mediated by some sort of Baltic German ancestry then (maybe ones who had a lot of Polish ancestry).

Maybe. I get a lot of matches from Germany and Austria in MyHeritage, several are already in the first page.

therrien.joel
01-29-2018, 04:57 PM
Heh, I have the exact same thing. I match with both of them on the same chromosome (11) but at different locations. I have nothing in my background remotely from SE Asia so I've always figured they must be part European.

Certainly in my case, with Vietnam having a French colonial history, that might be the connection.

Geborgenheit
02-03-2018, 08:01 AM
I have a new Latvian match who has tested 100.00% Baltic. In his surnames, there is a typical Polish surname however. :)

kingjohn
02-04-2018, 01:40 PM
thanks to principe who gave me
1 day a premision
to see my matches :)
so huge amount of aschenazi matches
and some latin american
and 5-6 non-jewish bulgarians on chromosomes 3,5,8,14
another thing what i see that my mom and i match a person who live in greece but his surname is serbian
and he scored 100% balkan in my heritage .....
i match on the same spot in the end of chromosome 9 as my mom :)

Geborgenheit
03-30-2018, 10:14 PM
More than 600 matches now. I have dozens of new, all marked with "low confidence". :love: Many are Eastern European at least, from Slovakia, Croatia, Lithuania and even one Russian from Latvia, some with Ukrainian and Polish surnames in North America and Western Europe... the most exotic is from Mexico.

The thing I have notice is that MyHeritage has changed the match classification and made it easier for themselves no longer trying to predict relationship with distant matches, they all stand for me as 3rd cousin - distant cousin.

Modernancientdna
03-30-2018, 11:40 PM
More than 600 matches now. I have dozens of new, all marked with "low confidence". :love: Many are Eastern European at least, from Slovakia, Croatia, Lithuania and even one Russian from Latvia, some with Ukrainian and Polish surnames in North America and Western Europe... the most exotic is from Mexico.

The thing I have notice is that MyHeritage has changed the match classification and made it easier for themselves no longer trying to predict relationship with distant matches, they all stand for me as 3rd cousin - distant cousin.

I have 572 matches as of now. Mostly Americans people with some Eastern European, Balkan, Baltic, Iberian, North African, Nigerian, Ashkenazi components. Mostly White Americans and some Latin Americans.

For Europe, most common Ukrainians, Poles, Russians in that order.

Countries I have noticed minimum 2 matches or more Bulgaria, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Turkey, Hungary, Slovakia, Morocco, Egypt, Latvia, Germany, Sweden.

I also noticed 15-20 Finnish people that score 80-100% Finnish as matches.

wombatofthenorth
04-04-2018, 03:01 AM
I have a new Latvian match who has tested 100.00% Baltic. In his surnames, there is a typical Polish surname however. :)

Yeah no way to know (well maybe by asking them hah, but you know what I mean) whether it is real Polish ancestry and the test just picking up some shared Polish/Baltic ancestry, picking up real Polish ancestry from someone from a place with maybe a lot of Old Prussian influence or one of the many ethnic Baltic Latvians who ended up getting a Polish surname even if they have zero Polish ancestry.

Geborgenheit
04-10-2018, 05:24 PM
Yeah no way to know (well maybe by asking them hah, but you know what I mean) whether it is real Polish ancestry and the test just picking up some shared Polish/Baltic ancestry, picking up real Polish ancestry from someone from a place with maybe a lot of Old Prussian influence or one of the many ethnic Baltic Latvians who ended up getting a Polish surname even if they have zero Polish ancestry.

Or it could be that it is just a fake match. Somehow I have more matches on MyHeritage than anywhere else.
P.S. I have contacted the match. There are not many members from our country anyway.

Geborgenheit
04-30-2018, 06:08 PM
More than 700 matches now. I've also got a notification about a Danish match which is on my first page with 3 matching segments.

wombatofthenorth
05-05-2018, 05:55 AM

I've found that some of the low confidence ones actually show as matches on other sites AND are ones where both my and a parent match the person, so that makes it all the trickier, you can't just ignore them as being fake and some of them seem even more likely to be real than a few larger ones.

Geborgenheit
05-05-2018, 09:02 AM
I've found that some of the low confidence ones actually show as matches on other sites AND are ones where both my and a parent match the person, so that makes it all the trickier, you can't just ignore them as being fake and some of them seem even more likely to be real than a few larger ones.

It can be that they are real matches, but I will never be able to find the papers proving it.

In any case, I do have approx. 30 medium confidence matches among those 700+.

msmarjoribanks
05-05-2018, 04:24 PM
I kind of assumed that US matches from MyHeritage would be on Ancestry or FTDNA, but I just started looking at mine and found my closest match (after my parents) is my mother's second cousin, who doesn't seem to be on either.

Next closest is identified as a 3rd to 5th cousin, but I can't place her and haven't found any connections. She shows up as a 3rd to 5th of my father too, and he has 5 closer matches (who show up as more distant matches for me than the person in question, showing how much all this can vary depending on what gets passed down).

My dad's first match is a common match with the unidentified one, and she is on Ancestry and FTDNA, and is someone I'd identified the match to before -- she's my dad's 3rd cousin twice removed (so my 4th cousin once removed -- she shows up as a 3rd to 5th for me on MyHeritage). Looking, his 4th match descends from the same person and is also identified as a common match with the unidentified one. This gives me a sense of where the match likely is and around how far back, and the location is correct, but will require lots more work to figure out the connection and without a real payoff that I see, which is why I tend to be lazy about finding the connections.

I wish there was a way to sort matches by country of location -- if there is and I'm missing it, please let me know.

FionnSneachta
05-05-2018, 05:04 PM
I wish there was a way to sort matches by country of location -- if there is and I'm missing it, please let me know.

You can search for matches by location. In the search box, change it from 'all' to country and type in the country to search. The search box is on the right side above the list of matches. However, there's no selection to see how many kits are in different countries without searching for each country separately. DNA transfers are also not given a country location so won't appear if you search for them.

For my family, Ancestry is the best for matches, then MyHeritage, and then FTDNA. On Ancestry, I have 5 first to second cousins. On MyHeritage, I have 3 1st cousin twice removed - 2nd cousin twice removed (all unique to MyHeritage). On FTDNA, I have 1 2nd to 3rd cousin with the rest being 3rd cousins and further out. I haven't confirmed any connections on FTDNA yet but I have with Ancestry and MyHeritage.

My mum has 1 2nd to 3rd cousin on Ancestry. On MyHeritage, she has 1 1st cousin twice removed - 2nd cousin once removed and we've been able to figure out the connection. On FTDNA, she has 10 2nd to 4th cousins but I haven't been able to figure out the connection to any of them except one who had already tested with Ancestry.

My dad has 4 2nd to 4th cousins on Ancestry. On MyHeritage he has 1 Great-grandparent or great-grandchild, 1st cousin once removed - 2nd cousin, and 2 in the 1st cousin once removed - 2nd cousin once removed range. I know the connection to one and that person was adopted. I find the great-grandparent prediction an interesting one. On FTDNA, my dad has a good few 2nd to 4th cousins but I don't know the connection to any of them.

When I see a match on FTDNA, I'm more likely to believe that the relationship is closer to 4th cousin than 2nd cousin since there haven't been many obvious connections with these matches. Overall, I've gotten the best matches on Ancestry. I've had better success with finding the connection to people on that website than others. Of course, that is purely due to which company people are choosing to test with.

msmarjoribanks
05-05-2018, 07:42 PM
Thanks, that's helpful.

Ancestry is the best for me so far, with FTDNA second, and MyHeritage having a few the others don't. I'm expecting it might be better for non US matches, although I have a Welsh match on Ancestry and a bunch of Swedish matches on FTDNA (more on MyHeritage, I think).

My dad's great-great grandfather (patrilineal line) came to the US from England in 1870. I have some matches from that family after coming to the US, and a few on the immigrant's mother's line (in part because a lot of those went to Canada), but nothing on the father's family (and no Y matches), so I thought maybe if more UK people tested on MyHeritage, or just different ones, I might be able to find some links.

FionnSneachta
05-05-2018, 07:53 PM
Thanks, that's helpful.

Ancestry is the best for me so far, with FTDNA second, and MyHeritage having a few the others don't. I'm expecting it might be better for non US matches, although I have a Welsh match on Ancestry and a bunch of Swedish matches on FTDNA (more on MyHeritage, I think).

My dad's great-great grandfather (patrilineal line) came to the US from England in 1870. I have some matches from that family after coming to the US, and a few on the immigrant's mother's line (in part because a lot of those went to Canada), but nothing on the father's family (and no Y matches), so I thought maybe if more UK people tested on MyHeritage, or just different ones, I might be able to find some links.

It just depends on which company your family happened to test with. Now that you mention, there does seem to be a good few Scandinavians with MyHeritage. Just today I was in contact with a second cousin of my dad's on MyHeritage who was adopted and I know how she's connected so that's very exciting. It is best to have DNA on as many sites as possible because even if there's just one match on that site that can lead you to new discoveries, it's well worth it.

Sizzles
05-08-2018, 07:25 PM
I have 1043 matches on My heritage.

msmarjoribanks
05-08-2018, 08:23 PM
I now have 5615.

3432 are in the US, 348 are in Great Britain, 120 are in Australia, 94 are in Canada, 57 are in Sweden, 32 are in Ireland, 25 are in Norway, 20 are in Finland, 12 are in Germany, 9 are in the Netherlands, 8 are in Denmark, 2 are in Russia, and 1 is in France. That's 4160 -- haven't figured out the location of the others yet.

I know some of the ones from Australia, Canada, and Sweden are real, and the US, of course. Don't know about the others yet.

cassiopeia
05-21-2018, 05:52 PM
I have 1,979 matches on myHeritage. Despite the test only pinning me at 5% Ashkenazi Jewish, I easily have 400+ Jewish matches.